• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
I brought up to a friend recently that it's funny how she's only run out of mana like, twice in the entire show which goes to show how little she does in the show.

Was there supposed to be more story with her originally or something and maybe she had a scheduling conflict or something? Or maybe tiredness or something like Hana from Den-O?

She's starting to feel like the chick from kabuto. Just there.

Slayven

I brought up to a friend recently that it's funny how she's only run out of mana like, twice in the entire show which goes to show how little she does in the show.

Was there supposed to be more story with her originally or something and maybe she had a scheduling conflict or something? Or maybe tiredness or something like Hana from Den-O?

Hey now, saying Haruto softly takes a lot of energy.

Parallax

At least that chick had significance to the story later (for better or worse). You know? She was there. Koyomi is just doing nothing.

Sadly, that's the case with all of wizards cast. Other than beast, they all just seem to exist to push haruto forward rather than have their own stuff to deal with.

and it's not like they are getting haruto anywhere. He's pretty much just eating donuts until something happens. He could you know... take initiative?

Seems like the baddies are the main characters of this series.

and it's not like they are getting haruto anywhere. He's pretty much just eating donuts until something happens. He could you know... take initiative?

Seems like the baddies are the main characters of this series.

Or "Don't worry princess, I have nothing better to do than perform magic tricks for you!"

Rinko could have been cool in a magic versus police way. Like have the police not think magic is worth a damn and she's the one who starts advocating for it. I dunno. This show is such a wasted opportunity.

Slayven

Or "Don't worry princess, I have nothing better to do than perform magic tricks for you!"

Rinko could have been cool in a magic versus police way. Like have the police not think magic is worth a damn and she's the one who starts advocating for it. I dunno. This show is such a wasted opportunity.

I was hoping that the second ranger was going to some g-4 shit the police thought up to fight phantoms and have him be at odds with Haruto.

I was hoping that the second ranger was going to some g-4 shit the police thought up to fight phantoms and have him be at odds with Haruto.

me too. but it seems like the cop guy doesn't really matter much either. Such a disappointing show with such potential. It's not decade bad... for now.

It's a shame because I really dig wizard's abilities and design. Show also has probably the best fight choreography for KR since... forever? dont know.

Slayven

me too. but it seems like the cop guy doesn't really matter much either. Such a disappointing show with such potential. It's not decade bad... for now.

It's a shame because I really dig wizard's abilities and design. Show also has probably the best fight choreography for KR since... forever? dont know.
The show gives you just enough to let you know it could have been a thousand times better. Can Toei only do one awesome series a year?

It's like the writers just left halfway (somewhere around the time to design abilities and moves for hyper beast lol).

Let's hope diamond wizard can do something outside of a final attack ride.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I can only watch a few episodes of Ryuki at a time because of all the weird jump cuts they use during the fights to cover the CG. I'm only at 20 episodes after three weeks, most of the other series I finished in a week or so. :/

It's pretty cool though after a bit of a slow start. Really liking Asakura and the Zolda dude...didn't realize till today that his butler Gorou was Mishima from Kabuto, he looks totally different.

Parallax

seriously, thats the way it was looking. im kinda sad it didnt happen.

Slayven

I can only watch a few episodes of Ryuki at a time because of all the weird jump cuts they use during the fights to cover the CG. I'm only at 20 episodes after three weeks, most of the other series I finished in a week or so. :/

It's pretty cool though after a bit of a slow start. Really liking Asakura and the Zolda dude...didn't realize till today that his butler Gorou was Mishima from Kabuto, he looks totally different.
Ryuki, blade, and hibiki gives me motion sickness. I blame it on the editing.

Any of you kids watching the GUIS subbed Kakuranger? What a fantastic show. Seiji Takawa was incredible as Ninja Red back then and now as Wizard he hasn't lost it at all.

I haven't been in this thread in a while. Once again I find myself super behind on Kamen Rider. How's Wizard so far? I haven't seen past episode 6, but I have all the eps released so far.

Is it me or does older heisei toku have this weird fps where it's filmed in a camcorder?

It's not you, it was filmed on videotape from Kuuga-Hibiki. It's more like a dorama. The effects were really strange at the time too. The encoding translates strangely as well, if you watch it straight off of DVD it looks a lot smoother.

Watch Da Birdie

It's not you, it was filmed on videotape from Kuuga-Hibiki. It's more like a dorama. The effects were really strange at the time too. The encoding translates strangely as well, if you watch it straight off of DVD it looks a lot smoother.

Oh, so Kabuto was the first "modern" Kamen Rider basically in terms of film style?

Hmm, not sure how I feel about the fact that all the Kamen Rider's I've yet to watch use this weirder camera style. It isn't ruining it for me, but I definitely prefer the look Kabuto upward.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Ahh mimicking the J-drama. Of course, now it makes sense.

I find it weird Sentai didn't have that treatment.

Hasn't KR always been the more Srs bsns of the two?

It always tried to be, just so you didn't have Sentai and Rider being the EXACT same thing, but they kind of have averaged out to the same age group lately. Suddenly KR is very formulaic and monster of the week while where Sentai does that too, it seems to take more liberties creatively while still sticking to that format. On the other hand, Rider tried to act more serious and drama-y sometimes where Sentai is usually more optimistic and more of a "What kind of crazy fun antics will our heroes get themselves into this week, kids!?"

kamen rider is all about the monster every 2 weeks!

So different.

And now KR is all about the wire fu choreographed fights too instead of the old 'drunk hobo boxing' where they didn't seem to give a damn.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Battride War Regular Edition cover:

rrNnqpF.jpg

Battride War Premium TV Sound Edition cover:

pKR3Y2o.jpg

Tenumi

Banned
I have to say, as someone who only recently got into Sentai, I'm really surprised how much I'm enjoying Kyoryuger. I still hate the suits for it, but the entertainment value has far outweighed that.

Ahh mimicking the J-drama. Of course, now it makes sense.

I find it weird Sentai didn't have that treatment.

I wonder how it would have fared. The other odd duck show that had done it was Changerion back in '96, and that.... well. I dont want to say it sucks, but 96 was crammed with shows. You had that, Carranger, BF Kabuto, Guyferd and Ultraman Tiga. Busy year!

Boss Doggie

I knew they weren't putting much effort in Battride after seeing the terrible CGI :p

And technically 80's and 90's Sentai are rather bleak.

WillyFive

Bringing in Sentai/PR people into Kamen Rider was a really great idea so far. The W movies, the last two Rider teamups, Fourze, and Wizard all have great choreography; as opposed to the lazy stuff that they did before. Sure, the fights were more 'realistic' and 'grounded' before, but I think Toku works best when it's exaggerated and really over the top like what Sentai does.

Kyoryuger 8

Man, these are the types of characters and writing Go-Busters needed for it's story. This was really great, and both funny and deep.

Wizard 30

I think Fourze had better upgrade arcs than Wizard does. Beast's upgrade episodes were mostly filler at best, while Meteor's were really important to his arc. Haruto's seems boring too.

Megaforce 9

As far as PR adaptations of Sentai characters go, Roboknight is pretty interesting.

Oh and someone is subbing Den-O apparently.

Yep, Onoresubs; which are the same people who do the excellent Onore TVN blog.

tumblr_mkgipuSW9b1s4ltl4o5_1280.png

So weird seeing Momo speak in English.

tumblr_mkv4ltzMlC1s4ltl4o1_1280.png

What's also great is that it uses the DVD as a base, so we'll no longer be stuck with the blurry TV-N ones.

Meteor's upgrade arc was great, shame his suit is shit and really restrained his movements. And that dumb bayblade finisher that didn't work against half the baddies.

kyroblue is probably my favorite sentai guy of recent. he's just a great guy.

Boss Doggie

But it did. The character that has that is in your icon, Willy :p

Also I'm actually using fast-forward now when watching Wizard and Kyoryu. While Kyoryu doesn't interest me one bit Wizard is becoming disappointing especially when compared to Fourze's handling of characters. Here they just toss them for some odd reason. :/

I knew they weren't putting much effort in Battride after seeing the terrible CGI :p

And technically 80's and 90's Sentai are rather bleak.

They are. I miss that in a way, just like I miss Kamen Rider being like that. It's times like this that it really makes me feel like I'm completely the wrong demographic for today's tokusatsu. :(

vareon

I actually wished they would experiment with a Kamen Rider miniseries for the older demographic, like Akibaranger...but seeing how everything they did to reach older demographics, not including Akibarange...yeah I don't have much faith.

Watch Da Birdie

I don't know, I kind of like Kamen Rider and I'm 23, and I don't really feel it totally talks down to me. I'm watching Ryuki now, though, and there's definitely a bit more darkness to it than the later ones though with older cast members, but on the other hand I kind of enjoy the light-heartedness of Fourze and such.

Wasn't there a Kamen Rider "parody" show though? I remember reading about one little mini-series with a wine based Kamen Rider?

Parallax

I don't know, I kind of like Kamen Rider and I'm 23, and I don't really feel it totally talks down to me. I'm watching Ryuki now, though, and there's definitely a bit more darkness to it than the later ones though with older cast members, but on the other hand I kind of enjoy the light-heartedness of Fourze and such.

Wasn't there a Kamen Rider "parody" show though? I remember reading about one little mini-series with a wine based Kamen Rider?

that wasnt a parody, but a short. g was awesome for the little we saw of him

Watch Da Birdie

Just watched the Kiva Movie.

It was pretty good, better paced than the other movies I've watched (and it was the Director's Cut), but it was kind of weird how it was basically an alternative version of the show's climax, bar with that one actor who's Taiga playing a totally different character which was weird. Also: GO TO HELL! made me burst out laughing.

Top Bottom