• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

shaowebb

i like the hibiki esque designs of the helm. good job and good luck

Thanks. Toku Dasher Kirin is actually a character I had thought up a long while ago for a fighting game I wish I had the skills to make, but dont yet. However, he was such a good design that I was able to repurpose him for this game instead. Coding will be a new thing for me, but I think I can handle the load. I have help if I need it since I have a coder brother in law.

Like I said, I wanted to study Toku designs and the genre itself to help with my own designs in college and if I could do a toku game I would. I did the former and now I get to do the latter.

vareon

That's cool, Shaowebb. I like the heroic run sketch.

That reminded me, I should continue learning blender animation...been a while since I tried anything.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Yeah, you'd think he'd be able to condense it in a single video especially when a very long MMPR can be done like that.

Also I spy some /m/ posts :p

Boss Doggie

Well that explains the longwinded videos. I honestly stopped watching his comic reviews though occasionally peeked at some reviews (like that Teen Titans x JLA comic where he likes it - now that is a review I want to see from him).

And SA has toku-stuff? Interesting.

I honestly stopped watching his comic reviews though occasionally peeked at some reviews (like that Teen Titans x JLA comic where he likes it - now that is a review I want to see from him).

I used to watch his comic reviews but my losing interest in the whole yelling angry review guy schtick (outside of AVGN) pretty much coincided with his increased focus on skits and storylines. Haven't watched any in a few years.

And SA has toku-stuff? Interesting.

There's a tokusatsu thread on the anime board. I think there's also a Power Rangers/Super Sentai one on the TV board too but I usually keep to the former.

Boss Doggie

Ahhh interesting, I'll keep that in mind.

And yeah that mostly was the one that made me stop watching him.

Boss Doggie

I bet people here would get this pic but still, cookie for reference!

1365646842248fha1z.png

Though I think Garchomp fits over Feraligatr

ReiGun

On the flipside, Linkara's "Teen Titans" retrospective was awesome and got me to seek out more stuff with the team. If the dumb Power Rangers retrospective falls to the back burner so he can do stuff like that, I'm all for it.

ReiGun

Why do you think it's dumb?

Mainly because it takes so long to produce. I understand this is because Linkara is busy - he has to make Atop the Fourth Wall every week along with whatever personal responsibilities and other interests he has - but at the same token, the HotPR series isn't that great. Especially when you can tell he's clearly gotten annoyed with it, and as we enter the seasons he knows less about, doesn't have the same passion for as when he started. His "March of the Titans" was great because not only was it informative, but you could tell Linkara truly loved the Teen Titans (or just plain Titans) and that passion really came through and made the video that much better. HotPR has lost much of that feel, and if Linkara has to put it aside to do other things he really enjoys, I'm all for it.

I totally agree. He's also not nearly as knowledgeable about Power Rangers as he is other things. Most of the facts he shares are "A guy told me this once, and it sounds plausible." I'm sure the rabid Ranger fanbase nagging him all the time doesn't help.

WillyFive

I totally agree. He's also not nearly as knowledgeable about Power Rangers as he is other things. Most of the facts he shares are "A guy told me this once, and it sounds plausible." I'm sure the rabid Ranger fanbase nagging him all the time doesn't help.

Yeah, the best things about the videos are the large amount of footage in it for you to glance at. His actual insight is nothing better that you would find in forums and has frequently had some factually incorrect things in the reviews.

Been really digging Kyoryuger! Started really getting into Tokusatsu after Gokaiger, and of course Power Rangers and Ultraman Tiga. I wish they went with a five part mecha design though. Are there any stand out games? Super Sentai, Kamen Rider, whatever?

yami4ct

[Akibaranger 2]-01

Not going to lie, I walked away pretty disappointed with this one. The first half especially just wasn't nearly as clever as Season 1. Typically, I'd be laughing constantly throughout an episode. Here, they only had like 3 moments that I found at all funny. The
battles with toys and giant crossover battle
were great, but something felt missing. I don't know, maybe they've run out of clever ways to lampoon sentai or maybe the writers just don't have as clever a material anymore. I hope that's not the case, but first episode has me really worried.

Best part of the episode for me? There's a moment and character at the end that seem to be a Kamen Rider reference. That's the moment that had me laughing the most.

Man, I was really looking forward to this one, too.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Linkara's annoying. I watch his stuff for the recap on seasons I haven't seen and that's about it. His analysis (but mostly his criticisms) are usually super dumb. Like he complained that they adapted Carranger for Turbo. Wtf else were they going to do? Go back to even older stock footage with Jetman or older Sentai?

I probably would have enjoyed today's Akibaranger way more if I didn't watch the raw last week.

I bet people here would get this pic but still, cookie for reference!

1365646842248fha1z.png

Though I think Garchomp fits over Feraligatr

One plus two plus...

yami4ct

Linkara's annoying. I watch his stuff for the recap on the season and that's about it. His analysis (but mostly his criticisms) are usually super dumb. Like he complained that they adapted Carranger for Turbo. Wtf else were they going to do? Go back to even older stock footage with Jetman or older Sentai?

I probably would have enjoyed today's Akibaranger way more if I didn't watch the raw last week.

I probably would have enjoyed it more as a raw, honestly. I wouldn't have known how boring, lackluster, and unfunny the jokes and writing were. I could have just focused on the couple funny visual gags.

vareon

[Akibaranger 2]-01

Not going to lie, I walked away pretty disappointed with this one. The first half especially just wasn't nearly as clever as Season 1. Typically, I'd be laughing constantly throughout an episode. Here, they only had like 3 moments that I found at all funny. The
battles with toys and giant crossover battle
were great, but something felt missing. I don't know, maybe they've run out of clever ways to lampoon sentai or maybe the writers just don't have as clever a material anymore. I hope that's not the case, but first episode has me really worried.

Best part of the episode for me? There's a moment and character at the end that seem to be a Kamen Rider reference. That's the moment that had me laughing the most.

Man, I was really looking forward to this one, too.

The guy in the end was definitely a reference to OOO's Dr. Maki. Same actor and doll pose, too!

But yeah it weren't that strong. A lot of the novelty from the first season has expired, so I hope it can pick up by the plot introduced in the end of the episode.

Garo, however, was fun. It's not necessarily better, but the different direction is the one it need right now to keep it fresh.

yami4ct

The guy in the end was definitely a reference to OOO's Dr. Maki. Same actor and doll pose, too!

I was 99.99999% sure that was Maki. Especially with that doll pose. Couldn't find any info to back it up so I couldn't be 100% sure.

That was by far the favorite part of that lackluster episode for me. Then again, I've always been more of a Rider dude so Rider references work better on me.

The first half of Akiba2 01 being more or less a clip show is important to the overall episode. They set you up with that to then hit you with the twist after the eye catch.

I didn't love the episode but it had enough moments that made me laugh (toys in the fights, especially the Itasher battle, the drawn out fight, Tsun and Dere swords), and I thought it was a pretty interesting way to set up the new series and definitely leaves me interested in seeing where it goes.

Top Bottom