• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I felt Blade was TOO serious for its own good.

I liked that Takoyaki episode with the Hajime look-alike because they actually lightened up for a bit, otherwise everything was a bit depressing and too serious...like, there were maybe, like, five funny moments the whole show?

Some people might agree, but I like some good humor in Kamen Rider. Not Den-O level all the time, but I thought W and Kiva struck a good balance.

And you're watching 555 now? :lol 555 makes Blade look like Den-O.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
DQWhwBd.jpg

RangerBAD

There's a Garo game for the PS2, actually.

It's...not all that good.

Clearly it would need to be made by Platinum Games. lol

I felt Blade was TOO serious for its own good.

I liked that Takoyaki episode with the Hajime look-alike because they actually lightened up for a bit, otherwise everything was a bit depressing and too serious...like, there were maybe, like, five funny moments the whole show?

Some people might agree, but I like some good humor in Kamen Rider. Not Den-O level all the time, but I thought W and Kiva struck a good balance.

Like someone else said, Faiz is pretty dark too. And I liked it. I wish Kamen Riders had retained more of Skull Man like Ishinomori had intended.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Well, I meant so far the characters of Faiz seem to have a few funny little quirks and cute conversations, whereas in Blade the epitome of humorous, light-hearted interaction was Kotarou's milk obsession. They seem more human so far.

vareon

They haven't replicated Blade yet. It was sad to see them move away from the darker and more serious Kamen Riders.

I want a Garo game pretty bad. Just don't let omnibus do the cgi cutscenes.

While I really want a "serious" Rider, I don't want it to replace the current formula and I prefer a 12 episode miniseries like Akibaranger, but if there's no reason to make it they won't.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I wonder what Inoue drank after Blade since his work afterwards were terrible.

The only thing Inoue did that WASN'T terrible was Agito. The episodes of Blade that he wrote weren't exactly the best of the series. And we all know how 555 and Kiva turned out. He wrote basically the two worst arcs of Decade, too (Nega World and Diend's World). Not to mention that he fucked up Hibiki.

If there's one good thing about Toei moving away from heavy drama for Kamen Rider, it's that we're in no danger of having Inoue writing the show again.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
He did Jetman and that was great too.

Jetman had seven different writers, including Naruhisa Arakawa, one of the best tokusatsu writers around. Even if Inoue was the head writer, there was enough variety there to keep things fresh. But yeah, his writing didn't truly start to go to shit until after Agito.

https://twitter.com/NajeeDeTiege/status/329414049081221120

Welll....surprised that Najee was so straight forward about it. Saban contacted the whole samurai crew. We know that Alex and Hector (Red and Green) are already in New Zealand so it's only a matter of time before the rest get there, provided that their schedules allow them to be.

How much you wanna bet he wasn't supposed to reveal that but he's just too dense to know that? His tweets don't inspire confidence in his intelligence.

WillyFive

Jetman had seven different writers, including Naruhisa Arakawa, one of the best tokusatsu writers around. Even if Inoue was the head writer, there was enough variety there to keep things fresh. But yeah, his writing didn't truly start to go to shit until after Agito.

Inoue came back to do the Jetman episode of Gokaiger, and that was great. Then again, the other talent in Gokaiger kept him in check. I'd like to see him try a new series, just to see if he gets better again.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Okay, anyone saying Kyoryuger mecha action is good (yeah I know you and you post here!), I want to slap you. It pales in comparison to GoBusters. Today's episode was just boring even with the mecha action. You know how bland the GoBuster King's action is (Samurai Ha-oh levels of immobility)? Somehow it feels like they were just like there, swooping and doing really stiff motions.

But I guess stuff like HAHAHA WESTERN or FARTS is enough to pull you people.

Okay, anyone saying Kyoryuger mecha action is good (yeah I know you and you post here!), I want to slap you. It pales in comparison to GoBusters. Today's episode was just boring even with the mecha action. You know how bland the GoBuster King's action is (Samurai Ha-oh levels of immobility)? Somehow it feels like they were just like there, swooping and doing really stiff motions.

But I guess stuff like HAHAHA WESTERN or FARTS is enough to pull you people.

What do you mean "you people"?

WillyFive

The tag team mecha fight for this last episode was excellent. Fast paced, dynamic, exciting, and made knowledgeable use of the abilities of both mechas.

Rarely did Go-Busters did something like that, what they did is just "hey, we can put the mecha in the shot so that we say we used them, and film it outside so it looks realistic and all that, also use it before the ground enemy is killed so that we say we did something different."

And Pteragodon alone is better designed and cooler than any of the Go-Busters mecha, even Ace with those baggy pants of his.

tumblr_mlhuyohXbQ1r40csro1_1280.jpg

And yes, the announcer is a lot better than those boring Buddyroids.

tumblr_ml3lm6L2ZR1rejotjo2_r1_500.jpg

Boss Doggie

The tag team mecha fight for this last episode was excellent. Fast paced, dynamic, exciting, and made knowledgeable use of the abilities of both mechas.

Rarely did Go-Busters did something like that, what they did is just "hey, we can put the mecha in the shot so that we say we used them, and film it outside so it looks realistic and all that, also use it before the ground enemy is killed so that we say we did something different."

And Pteragodon alone is better designed and cooler than any of the Go-Busters mecha, even Ace with those baggy pants of his.

tumblr_mlhuyohXbQ1r40csro1_1280.jpg

And yes, the announcer is a lot better than those boring Buddyroids.

tumblr_ml3lm6L2ZR1rejotjo2_r1_500.jpg

I disagree. Or have you forgotten the tagteam of J/Jin and the main three? Or did you only recall that one episode where they're doing that weird underground enemy crap? Hell, I remember J playing off Ace and even Ryuuji and Jin doing some tandem. In the early fight this episode all we see is just two stiff mecha swiping at each other.

Pteradonoh feels like a try-hard with the cape - it look awkward and at some point looked like it would fall. Only mecha in Sentai that pulled it off was in Magiranger.

And I call bullshit on that. I consider this one of the terrible Chiba narrations because of that spastic yelling.

And blue fucking sucks with his puns.

WillyFive

I think I just dropped Wizard actually. I have missed two episodes already and no intention of watching them. First time I dropped a series as it was airing live.

I disagree. Or have you forgotten the tagteam of J/Jin and the main three? Or did you only recall that one episode where they're doing that weird underground enemy crap? Hell, I remember J playing off Ace and even Ryuuji and Jin doing some tandem. In the early fight this episode all we see is just two stiff mecha swiping at each other.

Pteradonoh feels like a try-hard with the cape - it look awkward and at some point looked like it would fall. Only mecha in Sentai that pulled it off was in Magiranger.

And I call bullshit on that. I consider this one of the terrible Chiba narrations because of that spastic yelling.

And blue fucking sucks with his puns.

You mean the tag team of: shot 1: Red/Blue/Yellow mecha fires. CUT shot 2: beet and stag buster mecha fires CUT shot 3: enemy explodes CUT shot 4: Go-Buster Oh and Buster Hercules face camera with explosion behind them?

With this one both Kyoryujin and Ptera were in the same shot, flying around the city, taking turns so that Bones can't recover? In one shot Bones hit Kyoryujin, pushing him back, and Ptera flew in over it, the camera panned as he flew through the city streets and slashed Bones, and then jumped and transformed into it's dino form and fired him as Kyorujin slid behind him and finished him! That's the kind of dynamic in mecha fights we have been missing for a while.

Yes, Go-Busters did stuff like having the mecha do non-fighting roles like collect cars into safety and go into holes, but that's stuff we have seen pulled off in GoGoV, and it looked better then, with tons of really well looking smoke effects and elaborate miniature work.

Also, I enjoy Blue's puns; they are endearing; a quality none of the core three of Go-Busters ever displayed.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
Idk you seem to dislike the things most people enjoy about the show, which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But at that point I'd just stop watching if that were the case for me lol.

Are there aspects you enjoy about the show?

Boss Doggie

Idk you seem to dislike the things most people enjoy about the show, which is fine, you're entitled to your opinion. But at that point I'd just stop watching if that were the case for me lol.

Are there aspects you enjoy about the show?

There's that glimmer of hope that it might actually end up being better. Hell, terrible shows particularly in toku tend to have glorious endings. As much as I harp on Dairanger it has a really good final arc.

Besides, what's the point of arguing when one can't back up facts?

You mean the tag team of: shot 1: Red/Blue/Yellow mecha fires. CUT shot 2: beet and stag buster mecha fires CUT shot 3: enemy explodes CUT shot 4: Go-Buster Oh and Buster Hercules face camera with explosion behind them?

With this one both Kyoryujin and Ptera were in the same shot, flying around the city, taking turns so that Bones can't recover? In one shot Bones hit Kyoryujin, pushing him back, and Ptera flew in over it, the camera panned as he flew through the city streets and slashed Bones, and then jumped and transformed into it's dino form and fired him as Kyorujin slid behind him and finished him! That's the kind of dynamic in mecha fights we have been missing for a while.

Yes, Go-Busters did stuff like having the mecha do non-fighting roles like collect cars into safety and go into holes, but that's stuff we have seen pulled off in GoGoV, and it looked better then, with tons of really well looking smoke effects and elaborate miniature work.

Also, I enjoy Blue's puns; they are endearing; a quality none of the core three of Go-Busters ever displayed.

Gee I wonder what those episodes were the two mechas are actually involved, even switching rides altogether, and even doing some tandem stuff? Dat selective memory.

And nope - while the flying shots were okay, it's when the humanoid mecha form loses its touch. They move awkwardly and honestly just felt like they were stalling for a final strike.

And I agree that the non-fight mecha stuff of GoBuster are shit... but that's the point - mecha fights in GoBuster is great! Honestly, it's a first time someone said that mecha fights in GoBuster was terrible, because mostly it's praises.

And well that just explains a lot - terrible puns are enough to give "character" for someone instead of ones that linger throughout the show that isn't played out overtly.

WillyFive

Hell, terrible shows particularly in toku tend to have glorious endings.

Like Go-Busters.

Gee I wonder what those episodes were the two mechas are actually involved, even switching rides altogether, and even doing some tandem stuff? Dat selective memory.

I remember Beet and Ace both using the Mane Li-Oh bike from time to time. Even Marvelous got to ride it. That was cool. Terrible looking CGI is what haunts most of my memories of the mecha though.

And nope - while the flying shots were okay, it's when the humanoid mecha form loses its touch. They move awkwardly and honestly just felt like they were stalling for a final strike.

And I agree that the non-fight mecha stuff of GoBuster are shit... but that's the point - mecha fights in GoBuster is great! Honestly, it's a first time someone said that mecha fights in GoBuster was terrible, because mostly it's praises.

I like that the Kyoryuger mecha sequences don't use slow motion with the same frequency as past recent shows. You notice a lot of Go-Buster's humanoid fights were slowed down in slow motion to convey great size and power; but it constantly ended up making it boring and slow-paced once they stopped using out-door lit fights and miniature cameras.

Although they lose the feeling of them being large and powerful, they become more entertaining and compelling when the mecha is able to do lots of moves and attacks during a fight. It's more kinetic, less like a man-in-a-suit show.

And well that just explains a lot - terrible puns are enough to give "character" for someone instead of ones that linger throughout the show that isn't played out overtly.

Yes. It does a lot to give character to them, attributes one can use to identify characters. I remember Hiromu wanting to be a clown, but that didn't show up as a character trait very often, or lingered at all; other than it being mentioned in one episode. Blue wanting to design Megazords was mentioned in an early episode, but that character trait didn't linger outside it being mentioned in that earlier episode and being shown in the end credits sequence of the last episode (actually, we just assume that's what he was doing). And Yoko....well, she finished school I guess; which was appropriate since she did schoolwork routinely across the show.

Boss Doggie

Like Go-Busters.

I remember Beet and Ace both using the Mane Li-Oh bike from time to time. Even Marvelous got to ride it. That was cool. Terrible looking CGI is what haunts most of my memories of the mecha though.

I like that the Kyoryuger mecha sequences don't use slow motion with the same frequency as past recent shows. You notice a lot of Go-Buster's humanoid fights were slowed down in slow motion to convey great size and power; but it constantly ended up making it boring and slow-paced once they stopped using out-door lit fights and miniature cameras.

Although they lose the feeling of them being large and powerful, they become more entertaining and compelling when the mecha is able to do lots of moves and attacks during a fight. It's more kinetic, less like a man-in-a-suit show.

Yes. It does a lot to give character to them, attributes one can use to identify characters. I remember Hiromu wanting to be a clown, but that didn't show up as a character trait very often, or lingered at all; other than it being mentioned in one episode. Blue wanting to design Megazords was mentioned in an early episode, but that character trait didn't linger outside it being mentioned in that earlier episode and being shown in the end credits sequence of the last episode (actually, we just assume that's what he was doing). And Yoko....well, she finished school I guess; which was appropriate since she did schoolwork routinely across the show.

Oh you.

And then there was J letting Ace use him among other things. Then there're even moments where they didn't do gattai and had their base mecha do their stuff.

The only time they did the slowmo was on filler episodes which is usually short. Most of the time the mecha fights are fast paced.

And that's essentially my problem to typical Sentai characters - we simply have one attribute and play it up. Hiromu didn't want to be a clown for instance - he wanted to help. That was the point of that scene - despite being antsy, he was a team player, showing that despite his asshole attitude in the team, back at his school he was a pretty decent person. His development in his current team reflected back when he was in school. Blue didn't want to design Megazords, he wanted to become an engineer. It was hinted a lot, and later on we show that he and Jin always do analysis on their mechs, and that was just an aspect of him. Yoko was the archetypical "kid in a serious structure", the homework is just skin deep reference to her character. Her point was that she was an agent yet at the same time was just a kid and her attitude reflects on that. She was clumsy, throwing tantrums, and all that, but eventually learns to grow into her role. I prefer that nuanced characterization over simply playing up a single character trait which is then brought up only during character episodes.

Hell, I bet people miss out the characterization of Jin and J and simply write off as poochies, according to some random podcast of tokus.

WillyFive

Yeah, the mini-album is great; but I am awaiting the actual score.

Oh you.

And then there was J letting Ace use him among other things. Then there're even moments where they didn't do gattai and had their base mecha do their stuff.

The only time they did the slowmo was on filler episodes which is usually short. Most of the time the mecha fights are fast paced.

And that's essentially my problem to typical Sentai characters - we simply have one attribute and play it up. Hiromu didn't want to be a clown for instance - he wanted to help. That was the point of that scene - despite being antsy, he was a team player, showing that despite his asshole attitude in the team, back at his school he was a pretty decent person. His development in his current team reflected back when he was in school. Blue didn't want to design Megazords, he wanted to become an engineer. It was hinted a lot, and later on we show that he and Jin always do analysis on their mechs, and that was just an aspect of him. Yoko was the archetypical "kid in a serious structure", the homework is just skin deep reference to her character. Her point was that she was an agent yet at the same time was just a kid and her attitude reflects on that. She was clumsy, throwing tantrums, and all that, but eventually learns to grow into her role. I prefer that nuanced characterization over simply playing up a single character trait which is then brought up only during character episodes.

Hell, I bet people miss out the characterization of Jin and J and simply write off as poochies, according to some random podcast of tokus.

Alright, I won't be hostile to the idea of people liking Go-Busters (the more the merrier), but Kyoryuger is doing it all right. Writers should play up the character traits of the character, since otherwise they would be walking drones, indistinguishable from other characters (a lot of times the core three Go-Busters (and the people at the base) felt like this).

Nossan's bad jokes are not his only characteristic; he also wants to be a good uncle and step-dad to his niece, feels the weight of the responsibility left behind by his sister's late husband, and tries to be the cool guy of the team, despite being the least cool one there. All of that contribute to him being a good character, especially in comparison to Blue Buster (which I can't even remember his name anymore).

And I thought Jin and J were great, I never saw them as poochies, even if you could make the argument that was the staff's intention to boost ratings. I thought they were very likable characters that brought a lot to the show, not only to it's ongoing plot but their own antics.

The writing is what's boring for me. I wouldn't mind the fights getting worse and more CG finishers if the writing was engaging and interesting.

Boss Doggie

I honestly think Nitou would have been a better main character. Wizard had the same power up "problem" thrice!

Alright, I won't be hostile to the idea of people liking Go-Busters (the more the merrier), but Kyoryuger is doing it all right. Writers should play up the character traits of the character, since otherwise they would be walking drones, indistinguishable from other characters (a lot of times the core three Go-Busters (and the people at the base) felt like this).

Nossan's bad jokes are not his only characteristic; he also wants to be a good uncle and step-dad to his niece, feels the weight of the responsibility left behind by his sister's late husband, and tries to be the cool guy of the team, despite being the least cool one there. All of that contribute to him being a good character, especially in comparison to Blue Buster (which I can't even remember his name anymore).

And I thought Jin and J were great, I never saw them as poochies, even if you could make the argument that was the staff's intention to boost ratings. I thought they were very likable characters that brought a lot to the show, not only to it's ongoing plot but their own antics.

It's Ryuji.

Anyway there are people who miss the point on the two. Apparently they are poochies because after "being super duper, they began to job". Which is weird since nearly all sixth rangers have that problem.

Kurita

Akibaranger S2 4

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG
iZm37KuxWzlXZ.gif

OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG OMG

We'll get more glorious ass and boobs shots.

And Red posing for the BL doujin of Yellow... *dead*
The whole episode was fantastic.

Garo S3 ep 3

Man Garo really knows it's demographic, so much boobs & naked girls fighting.

Anyway archer is a douche but damn good at his job. He's armor design is slick.

Tenumi

Banned
Through 33 episodes of Go-Busters, and closing in on the end fast. Is there any particular point in the series where the Go-Busters vs Gokaiger movie fits in, or is it more or less watch whenever?

Also, I enjoy Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Garo, Power Rangers, and Akibaranger. Dunno what that makes me, but at least I'm entertained.

Slayven

Through 33 episodes of Go-Busters, and closing in on the end fast. Is there any particular point in the series where the Go-Busters vs Gokaiger movie fits in, or is it more or less watch whenever?

Also, I enjoy Gokaiger, Go-Busters, Garo, Power Rangers, and Akibaranger. Dunno what that makes me, but at least I'm entertained.

You can watch whenever, the only thing it might spoil is Jin and J.

Top Bottom