• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

WillyFive

People come up with all kinds of nonsensical stereotypes to associate Green with, from being a nerd (smart guy who can't fight), to being white (can't pull off the other guy's moves), to being gay (wiping his pants after morphing, I guess?). But Gokai Green is really just a coward who joins the team and becomes a real hero in the process. He also fills the role of the comic relief. Not much stereotype there.

what show is this?

It's a movie, called Machi Action. It's about a Toku actor who lost his job because he was replaced by a newer hero.

MachiAction-thumb-300xauto-36389.jpg

isny

napkin dispenser
People come up with all kinds of nonsensical stereotypes to associate Green with, from being a nerd (smart guy who can't fight), to being white (can't pull off the other guy's moves), to being gay (wiping his pants after morphing, I guess?). But Gokai Green is really just a coward who joins the team and becomes a real hero in the process. He also fills the role of the comic relief. Not much stereotype there.
This. Although, more so towards the gay side due to the flamboyance, but he definitely seems like the Billy of the group too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
Unfortunately they are the most widespread (and will continue to be until Over-Time learns to distribute HD hardsubs).

I'm still baffled as to why there is a need for hardsub, or not using Handbrake for encoding to hardsubs for watching in other players.

WillyFive

They do, but they use the .mkv file format, which most players and upload sites out there can't read (and you have to download extra codecs to make it watchable on a PC). You'll have to convert it to make it watchable otherwise.

I'm still baffled as to why there is a need for hardsub, or not using Handbrake for encoding to hardsubs for watching in other players.

Because you need to use Handbrake to make the file watchable on other players, that's the problem. People want to stream it or watch it on their TV (like with a PS3), which you can't do very easily from O-T's releases (unless you are fine with using the SD version).

Even if TV-N's HD videos are stupidly low quality, people will still associate them as HD and O-T's as SD. It's hard to do so when the player itself says it's in SD. Really, HD hardsubs are such a simple fix that could radically change which ones you will find footage from (heck, you can still tell who watches TV-N by the way they type Kyoryuger as Kyoryuuger).

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Wow, so Netflix has every Power Ranger Series up it seems...and Beetle Borgs, lol.

Interested in comparing the episodes Gekiranger I'm watching with the Jungle Fury episodes to see how they match up.

Parallax

best seen in the classic "Shadow of the Beast"
Wow, so Netflix has every Power Ranger Series up it seems...and Beetle Borgs, lol.

Interested in comparing the episodes Gekiranger I'm watching with the Jungle Fury episodes to see how they match up.

it really doesnt. other than rj, the 3 exclusive rangers, and the spirit beasts having human forms than fuzzy puppet bodies, the geki series is superior

oh, and anna hutchinsons fine ass is in it too.

Boss Doggie

all my loli wolf companions are so moe
You should go and watch RPM.

Because you need to use Handbrake to make the file watchable on other players, that's the problem. People want to stream it or watch it on their TV (like with a PS3), which you can't do very easily from O-T's releases (unless you are fine with using the SD version).

Even if TV-N's HD videos are stupidly low quality, people will still associate them as HD and O-T's as SD. It's hard to do so when the player itself says it's in SD. Really, HD hardsubs are such a simple fix that could radically change which ones you will find footage from (heck, you can still tell who watches TV-N by the way they type Kyoryuger as Kyoryuuger).

Those people should be slapped!

Tenumi

Banned
You should go and watch RPM.

Man, now I'm bummed that my family's Netflix account isn't active right now. I'm about halfway through RPM,
a couple episodes after Gem and Gemma join
. I so much want to finish that series off, especially since its starting to get really good.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
it really doesnt. other than rj, the 3 exclusive rangers, and the spirit beasts having human forms than fuzzy puppet bodies, the geki series is superior

oh, and anna hutchinsons fine ass is in it too.

I just meant I wanted to see how the series matched up in terms of how they adapted Gekiranger, not quality wise. :)

Is there a website dedicated to that though? Like the ones for Pokemon and Dragon Ball Z that compare the original and adaption?

jwk94

Karen Ashley (Aisha) confirmed she won't be returning for Super MegaForce. Jason David Frank is going out of the country to film somehing, most likely Super MegaForce.

vareon

So my country (that would be Indonesa) just announced a local tokusatsu series, which is a joint project between our production house and Toei with merchandises (figures, devices, etc) by Bandai. It's called Bima Ksatria Garuda.

The script will be supervised by Masato Hayase.

This is completely out of the left field since it has been long since tokusatsu was a relevant entertainment for children in this country. I know our TV station aired a few heisei Kamen Rider series here but they were always cancelled mid-season. While a collaboration with Toei is far from an indicator of quality, I do hope it's enjoyable (and popular) enough for a start.

WillyFive

Chucker

First post for TokuGAF, been a fan since MMPR first aired here. Fell off during Turbo, came back for DinoThunder, liked that enough to check out Abaranger, Dekaranger, and Magiranger when that came out. Fell off around Operation Overdrive and kind of never looked back. This thread turned me on to Akibaranger (watched all that's out so far) and Gokairanger (up to episode 5, just started). Glad to be back!

Also, was the only grown dude waiting in line to get pictures with the rangers when they were at Disney World.

Chucker

Oh yeah, Operation Overdrive is as bad as it gets.

Well that makes me feel better at least, did it ever get any better? I saw the first episode of Mega Force with the bootleg Zordon and thought it had some promise, then they started using cards and decided it wasn't for me.

WillyFive

jwk94

SPD Green comments on Super MegaForce and how Saban has handled it. In short, it seems like Saban hasn't contacted the Disney cast at all.

First. I don't know what email Saban sent out. As far as I know - nobody in Disney era cast received a letter. Second. I totally get Karan. PR is one of the most top rated kids series in the world - the actors get paid peanuts to do it relative to any other show on television that doesn't play in every foreign market on earth. I actually make more at my current joe job per hour than they ever paid. They make tons of money off of licensing and merchandise, that doesn't trickle down to the actor.

To ask cast (except me apparently) to go down to NZ, essentially for free when you subtract food/airfare/hotel and the time away from responsibilities at home - is a LOSS. This is one of the major reasons why you started to have a rotating cast. So there aren't any contract negotiations. You have the cast. You milk them and then you cut them off. It's one of the reasons SPD/Mystic Force didn't have a team up. Wish it were different. I love the show and I love the fans. #Buttery

Last thing I'll say on this & you may Tumblr away at will. Saban probably doesn't even know who Bridge is, let alone who I am...and they will most likely never hire me as an actor or filmmaker. What has Saban done for you? You guys shat on Disney when they took over the franchise. Sure Disney might have messed up PR continuity, but they cared about the stories they were telling and the people involved. Say what you will, but this is the company we should be saluting for bring us more Star Wars.

This is quickly turning into something that's ugly. There's no way Saban would completely omit the Disney-Era rangers, right?

In short, it seems like Saban hasn't contacted the Disney cast at all.

This is quickly turning into something that's ugly. There's no way Saban would completely omit the Disney-Era rangers, right?

You wouldn't think so, especially when they should primarily be the most available actors, with a good number still being in NZ or here.

Speaking as someone who only got back in to the series on the strength of Ninja Storm/Dino Thunder/SPD/RPM after what would've otherwise been a brief sojourn in nostalgia with MMPR10, underrepresentatio of the Disney years basically kills any interest I might've had in SMF.

Wiseblade

DarkWish

Fury Diamond of Rangercrew has confirmed some Disney era cast members have been contacted. Plus, we know Jason Smith is returning. Even Samuell Benta hinted he was contacted... but why they'd choose Benta over Matt Austin and others, who knows.

Parallax

Fury Diamond of Rangercrew has confirmed some Disney era cast members have been contacted. Plus, we know Jason Smith is returning. Even Samuell Benta hinted he was contacted... but why they'd choose Benta over Matt Austin and others, who knows.

Seriously. The only ones from overdrive they should have called werr red and pink. The others are beyond forgettable. Its amazing how this has come across as such a trainwreck

fmpanda

Seriously. The only ones from overdrive they should have called werr red and pink. The others are beyond forgettable. Its amazing how this has come across as such a trainwreck

Whelp, nothing can be helped when Saban wants to go as cheap as possible. They probably figure that the kids of the current generation won't really care which "Historical Ranger" pops up as long as they can watch their favorite serial killer Red strut his stuff.

Parallax

Whelp, nothing can be helped when Saban wants to go as cheap as possible. They probably figure that the kids of the current generation won't really care which "Historical Ranger" pops up as long as they can watch their favorite serial killer Red strut his stuff.

Do kids like troy? He's literally just there.

Chucker

That's ridiculous. If it weren't for Disney getting Tommy to come back to Dino Thunder I wouldn't have ever gotten back into it... Probably.

Parallax

Saban not inviting the Disney casts reminds me of this nugget from Tzachor (Saban PR producer) saying he didn't consider the Disney seasons to be 'canon'.

It sucks because almost the entire the SPD cast was one of the few complete casts that would all like to return to the show (alongside the Time Force cast).

thats really stupid to say. the disney seasons had some strong casts. and pretty good storytelling for the most part. not counting them because he didnt come up with them makes me wish someone else was in control. for more reasons than that

Tenumi

Banned
So, instead of whining about something that hasn't happened yet, I decided to watch something that has happened.

Kyoryuger: 12

Oh Kyoryuger, you are a silly series. Even better was that they
showed the torn pants later. King wears red underwear, it seems

Next week looks weird, if only for
King wearing a schoolgirl uniform, if my eyes didn't deceive me

MisterHero

I just read about old rangers coming back for Super Megaforce. Neat. Is there a list of confirmed characters so far?

It's a shame what happened to the Titanium Ranger.

Top Bottom