• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vamola! TokuGAF 2013 | 20 Years of Teenagers with Attitude

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man
iPpiGLHOSf12R.gif

iiNNANUNEnW7V.gif

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
Wish I had quick translations for Battride Wars. I wonder if there's any unique dialogue. Like I had Kabuto vs Meteor and Blade vs Knight. Those seem like some actual matchups.

Part of my nostalgia kick spurred on by the MMPR reversion a few years back involved watching a compilation of season openings on Youtube. I'd planned on just leaving it at that and watching a few MMPR episodes (mostly the Green with Evil/Green Candle stuff) but she caught my eye, which lead to me watching SPD, getting back in to the series (having kinda drifted off mid Turbo as a kid) and then on to the Japanese stuff.

WillyFive

SPD improved upon Dekaranger by having an arc; Dekaranger didn't have an arc, it was a pure serial from start to finish. However, the individual serial episodes were stronger in Deka than in SPD.

here's a fun fight.

As anniversary fan wankery shows, if you have to choose,

akibaranger, or gokaiger
or decade!

Decade had a better premise, but Gokaiger was better at pretty much anything outside of that. Actual writing, likable characters, and a plot with an actual beginning and end can go a long way.

Slayven

SPD improved upon Dekaranger by having an arc; Dekaranger didn't have an arc, it was a pure serial from start to finish. However, the individual serial episodes were stronger in Deka than in SPD.

Decade had a better premise, but Gokaiger was better at pretty much anything outside of that. Actual writing, likable characters, and a plot with an actual beginning and end can go a long way.
Sen was an unexpected treat. Dude is not to be fucked with when pissed.

Why does having arcs make the show better? Does that mean that Power Rangers is automatically a better series than Super Sentai because it tries (and fails miserably) at connecting all the seasons?

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Dekaranger didn't have arcs because it was copying the standard episodic "procedural" style of cop/detective shows. Which is a good thing, and makes Dekaranger unique among Sentai. Hell, that's one of the reasons I like it so much.

WillyFive

Why does having arcs make the show better? Does that mean that Power Rangers is automatically a better series than Super Sentai because it tries (and fails miserably) at connecting all the seasons?

Not at all (although it is something people miss when they go into Sentai from PR). However, I consider the B-Squad and A-Squad story arc from SPD to be a great addition to the base Dekaranger story. Also, although not necessarily superior (because it sucked in SPD), having a main antagonist present through the show is a good way to add to the original story.

jwk94

Power downs have to be one of my favorite aspects of SPD. I mean look at that! The particles of their suit just flying off into nowhere and the fact that this happens so frequently is just amazing. Did OO have power downs?

EDIT:

OOPs, sorry for the double post, didn't see that I was the last poster ><

Wiseblade

Power downs have to be one of my favorite aspects of SPD. I mean look at that! The particles of their suit just flying off into nowhere and the fact that this happens so frequently is just amazing. Did OO have power downs?

EDIT:

That size difference on Kruger is insane!

drizzle

Axel Hertz

EDIT:

I gotta say. That really is no Doggie Kruger..

ReiGun

I loved the episodic nature of Dekaranger. The characters and writing were strong enough to carry it all the way through. I wish they'd try that format again.

Trying to finish Fourze. Man it takes them like 15 episodes to figure out Ryusei is Meteor.

He wasn't even trying that hard to hide it. He would straight up dip every time a monster appeared and Meteor would pop up in seconds.

ReiGun

So the other series are not as episodic?

The others try to have a plot that carries through to the end along with the monster of the week. Deka was straight up episodic adventures. There was a recurring villain - a black market arms dealer - but he wasn't like the boss of this big organization or anything like that.

Just watch it. You'll love it.
I think I'm going to watch some Power Rangers before I tackle any Super Sentai series.
The others try to have a plot that carries through to the end along with the monster of the week. Deka was straight up episodic adventures. There was a recurring villain - a black market arms dealer - but he wasn't like the boss of this big organization or anything like that.
When you put it like that, the lack of a big baddie is interesting in context of the franchise.

Chucker

I've got 2 eps of Gokaiger left and want to jump into Kamen Rider for the first time (not counting when it aired over here with MMPR), what's a good series to start with?

Data West

coaches in the WNBA
I've got 2 eps of Gokaiger left and want to jump into Kamen Rider for the first time (not counting when it aired over here with MMPR), what's a good series to start with?

Old school or new?
A ton of people got hooked because of W.

Kuuga's what got me though, and it's still one of my favorites.

Tenumi

Banned
I must be the weird person who prefers the look of SPD Doggie over DekaRanger Doggie.

Then again, I haven't seen Dekaranger. SPD was a favorite of mine, though.

A Pretty Panda

fuckin' called it, man

W

or fourze because it's the same thing but not as good. It's a high school setting if that's up your alley.

WillyFive

I agree that Den-O is good, but W is the start of the current Rider canon, so its a good place to start as a beginner series, as there is more promise for the future.

I must be the weird person who prefers the look of SPD Doggie over DekaRanger Doggie.

Then again, I haven't seen Dekaranger. SPD was a favorite of mine, though.

Disney did a great job in animating the suit, but the design is just really needed. It lacks the tough guy look the original had.

Chucker

Speaking of Abarekiller, I was stoked when I saw him standing around at MGM Studios a few years back.

rquvfbfl.jpg

That was the best thing about Disney getting the show, they had one member from the past 5 series at any given time.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
I just watched the Kabuto Movie...so, like, I'm just gonna ignore the "natives gave me the belt!" stuff in the main series and take the AU-time travel coolness as the TRUE Kabuto back-story.

I think i enjoyed SPD a bit more than deka. Sure it has a bunch of lows due to politics but it's fun stuff. The whole A team thing was cool, kruger was more of a character. The whole locking baddies away in cards makes more sense for a kid friendly show than the kinda dark coliseum style Vote yes or no for DELETION.

And it's probably the only disney era main theme I enjoy.

NeonZ

It would have made more sense and I have no idea why they didn't run with it.

The movie was advertised in trailers and some promo material as the true origin of Kabuto's belt. There wasn't any explicit attempt to make the two fit together though, in spite of those promos, but there are some odd connections between the movie and the series.

For example, Hiyori often repeats the word that Tendo said while saving her. Later, in the tv show, it turns out that her memories for some reason were wrong, and she "corrects" her own words after hearing about Tendo's version of the events. In the movie, in the scene shown in the present, she repeats those same wrong words from the tv show in the changed present scene, rather than the ones just said one scene before in the movie. The movie doesn't follow up on that aspect at all though, since that'll all just a quick "happy ending" epilogue, it's just thrown there seemingly as a tie to the tv show.

I think it can work if both Hiyori's and Tendo's memories are wrong, due to future Tendo being erased from the timeline, and it'd fit the movie's advertising.It should have been very easy to confirm something like that at some point, but they never actually spell it out anywhere and we're left with a bunch of seemingly unrelated connections...

Slayven

I just watched the Kabuto Movie...so, like, I'm just gonna ignore the "natives gave me the belt!" stuff in the main series and take the AU-time travel coolness as the TRUE Kabuto back-story.

I will never understand the use of God Bless America during the badass walk, but damn if it wasn't badass

Top Bottom