• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Liberty4all

Banned
I was having issues finding a closer homestay and time running out (I start work in 2 weeks). I'm thinking I can always find another place if I need to as I'll be paying month to month.

I'm excited though to see what Vancouver is like. I currently live in a condo in downtown Toronto beside the CN Tower. I was watching a Skytrain video somebody linked for me on the Skyscaper forums and I cant believe how green everything is compared to Toronto.

http://youtu.be/1QeFHp8WdZE

Do you guys do GAF Meetups?

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I was having issues finding a closer homestay and time running out (I start work in 2 weeks). I'm thinking I can always find another place if I need to as I'll be paying month to month.

I'm excited though to see what Vancouver is like. I currently live in a condo in downtown Toronto beside the CN Tower. I was watching a Skytrain video somebody linked for me on the Skyscaper forums and I cant believe how green everything is compared to Toronto.

http://youtu.be/1QeFHp8WdZE

Do you guys do GAF Meetups?

LOL we don't do meetup here :p

B-Dex

Like I said a bunch off selfish busy assholes don't have time for meet and greets. Wrong side of Canada for kindness really.

KIDDING
sort of

Liberty4all

Banned
:(

I've only recently heard of the Seattle/Vancouver Freeze phenomena while researching the city. Somewhat unfortunate as I know absolutely nobody in Vancouver.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
We're definitely not as organized as our Toronto counterparts, haha. However, seems like we got two Torontonians here now. Maybe we can actually do something now with a smaller group haha

Tabris

I'm a bit tempted to attend a meet up in Vancouver as most of my friends don't play video games at all. It would be cool to meet up with people into the same video game hobby.

But I'm afraid people like RC would suck the happiness out of me :)

Firestorm

do phone games count as video games
because then i play video games

That's far out enough that I think I would be able to plan around it unless I have a tournament that day!

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
I'd be down for a meetup. But this would happen right as I come back from a savings-depleting vacation to Asia. If you don't mind me staring at you all awkwardly while you drink and eat then why not. That or we can host it at the local food bank; win-win! :p

Liberty4all

Banned
If I get 10 people to semi-commit to this, I'll make a thread.

November 14th
4:00 pm PST
Some bar/pub near Skytrain

I'll commit. I know nobody in Vancouver my life is in Toronto including my wife who can't tag along with me for this contract. As I mentioned earlier I've heard of the Vancouver Freeze so I'm going to jump at any opportunity to make friends.

RC

Banned
I'm a bit tempted to attend a meet up in Vancouver as most of my friends don't play video games at all. It would be cool to meet up with people into the same video game hobby.

But I'm afraid people like RC would suck the happiness out of me :)

I'm quite the pleasant fellow in person Tabris. Although you would need to buy me a drink.

I'm thinking the Pint.

Edit: Haha, Reflections Tabris? We're watching hockey you dingus.

Hi guys!

I've been thinking about moving to Vancouver for a while, and I think I'm getting serious about this, as I finally got a job that allows me to work from home which means I can relocate to anywhere I want.

Are the numbers on these sites accurate?

https://www.expatistan.com/cost-of-living/vancouver
http://www.costofliving.welcomebc.ca/

Also, I'm planning on visiting in the next six months to get my bearings in the city and have a better idea of the area I would enjoy living in. So any tips are appreciated!

Firestorm

Downtown usually is best as it allows anyone to get there by Skytrain without doing ridiculous transfers or buses like you would from Richmond to North Burnaby or whatever.

The Pint is usually packed on game day isn't it? Could try it though!

B-Dex

I'm ok with downtown. It seems central Skytrain wise from Richmond, Burnaby, etc ...

It's worse than that. People in yale town will refuse to meet in a different part of downtown even. It's a joke planning anything with people that live in downtown.

Tabris

I find this to be a unique problem to Vancouver - and one I've encountered multiple times over the last week. Some homeless here seem to have high expectations and little gratitude.

Just recently, I felt like fast food late at night after the bars close, so mainly just homeless around, and a women was asking for food as I was entering, so I got her a hamburger and she was mad at me for not getting her a coke and french fries too. Just walked away after taking her hamburger without saying thank you.

I mean I understand a lot have mental conditions like schizophrenia, so it's hard for them to even recognize what's real from what's not, so expecting gratitude may be asking too much.

Just a bummer sometimes. We really need to get better mental treatment facilities. I know the new st paul hospital will have some, but it's not enough - we need a Riverview restored to it's full capacity. I would be willing to have my taxes increased for that and I think most others would.

I wish our Liberal government was more like the Federal Liberal or NDP party. Why is our provincial government so conservative?

EDIT - I understand (but don't agree) with the point people who are against giving better benefits to the homeless have - that they are abusing the system. But these people with mental conditions cannot function properly in society - they often cannot distinguish what's real, or have sudden emotional changes they can't control - and the medication like anti-psychotics or drugs like heroin they take to deal with them make them unable to function high level mentally. So they can't just "get a job". They need help, and real help. And that can only come from tax-funded government programs.

My rant went on a totally different tangent then I expected in the end lol.

MutFox

Banned
I'm down for something downtown that everyone can buy beer on the cheap and will have the Canucks on.

I'll be coming by seabus so I can drink. :p

Tab, last time we went to some place on main, about 5 blocks north of science world.
Forgot the name.

Tabris

I don't understand the appeal of dive bars and the only thing on main are dive bars.

The Pint has been mentioned. It used to be good when it was cheaper and a little unknown. Now everyone goes there, so unless you get there early you get the weird back section which has bad TVs. But it's 2 blocks away from me so it's not bad of a pick for me :)

Tabris

Is it possible to watch other hockey teams and not be murdered? Will bars change tvs over?

Yes. Not usually. TOR or MON games are usually east coast so they don't interfere with VAN games, so that's not an issue, but for the rest -

There's specific bars for specific Canadian teams. Like The Black Frog Eatery is where the Oiler fans go to watch games.

But I assume you mean for whatever US city you're from. They won't turn the channel for that, and they most likely won't have NHL GameCentre service for those.

Yes. Not usually. TOR or MON games are usually east coast so they don't interfere with VAN games, so that's not an issue, but for the rest -

There's specific bars for specific Canadian teams. Like The Black Frog Eatery is where the Oiler fans go to watch games.

But I assume you mean for whatever US city you're from. They won't turn the channel for that, and they most likely won't have NHL GameCentre service for those.

Well fuck... Wonder where I can go to watch Stars games in the future.

Tabris

Well fuck... Wonder where I can go to watch Stars games in the future.

Your home with NHL Game Centre unless the Stars are playing a Canadian team.

If the Canucks ever get far into the playoffs though, you'll adopt our team. This city is electric when they are in the playoffs (past the first round). Just ask Dastardly from the NHL-GAF thread who was a die-hard Ducks fan and he adopted the Canucks due to how exciting it was in the city.

You won't be used to it coming from Dallas. Only other places that get close are Montreal and Toronto. Montreal and Vancouver being the ones who riot over results, but the vibe before that is amazing.

Your home with NHL Game Centre unless the Stars are playing a Canadian team.

If the Canucks ever get far into the playoffs though, you'll adopt our team. This city is electric when they are in the playoffs (past the first round). Just ask Dastardly from the NHL-GAF thread who was a die-hard Ducks fan and he adopted the Canucks due to how exciting it was in the city.

You won't be used to it coming from Dallas. Only other places that get close are Montreal and Toronto. Montreal and Vancouver being the ones who riot over results, but the vibe before that is amazing.

I'm sure I'll be a secondary fan to the Canucks. But it won't be my main team.

That's what people told me about the Cowboys and I lived in Dallas forever. While they are the most crazy and electric of fan bases, I still am not a huge fan of them even after so many years.

I'll wait until others post on possible suggestions. thx for the info again Tabris.

MutFox

Banned
I think a meet up shouldn't be around a hockey game though. It's not exactly inclusive.

We did it last time,
and we had a lot of gaffers.
There was also a pool table there.

Hmmm, how's the Cambie?
Haven't been there in years.

Used to like Malone's bar and grill,
but I think they changed the menu and prices.

Top Bottom