• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Liberty4all

Banned
5 more days Van-GAF and I arrive. I need gaming friends for local mp on weekends. Mario karts, Smash, etc ...

Kinda dreading this, going to be the longest I've ever been away from my wife. Maybe dread is too strong a word ... More like bittersweet. So happy to finally have found good paying work but sucks to have to leave my spouse to make it happen.

Also kinda worried that my lifestyle going to be jarred. I currently live beside the CN Tower (30 sec walk door to door). Condo downtown lifestlyle. Going from that to living in a homestay near Brentwood Mall in Burnaby, commuting to work on the Skytrain to Surrey near Guildford Town Centre. It's been years since I've even left the Toronto downtown core aside from family visits and vacations.

I have to say the videos I've seen of Vancouver ... So green. It really does look beautiful. Regardless I want to desperately make friends it's going to be super lonely out west knowing basically nobody. Even just casual dinner shit ... I do that all the time in Toronto downtown with multiple friends.

Firestorm

Definitely try something like a Meetup group. Not sure if you're into Pokemon but there are tournaments and weekly leagues for that. Smash Bros. is also around if you're into the tournament scene for that.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
5 more days Van-GAF and I arrive. I need gaming friends for local mp on weekends. Mario karts, Smash, etc ...

Kinda dreading this, going to be the longest I've ever been away from my wife. Maybe dread is too strong a word ... More like bittersweet. So happy to finally have found good paying work but sucks to have to leave my spouse to make it happen.

Also kinda worried that my lifestyle going to be jarred. I currently live beside the CN Tower (30 sec walk door to door). Condo downtown lifestlyle. Going from that to living in a homestay near Brentwood Mall in Burnaby, commuting to work on the Skytrain to Surrey near Guildford Town Centre. It's been years since I've even left the Toronto downtown core aside from family visits and vacations.

I have to say the videos I've seen of Vancouver ... So green. It really does look beautiful. Regardless I want to desperately make friends it's going to be super lonely out west knowing basically nobody. Even just casual dinner shit ... I do that all the time in Toronto downtown with multiple friends.

Definitely have your phone and/or 3DS with you on your commute. Gonna be super boring otherwise ! That's how I survived longer commutes :)

Tabris

Going from that to living in a homestay near Brentwood Mall in Burnaby

Brentwood area is going to be amazing in 5-10 years but it's under heavy construction right now so it's going to kind of suck. And commuting to Surrey is going to kind of suck as well.

Guildford isn't accessible by skytrain so it's going to be even worse where you'll skytrain in then have to wait for a bus from a station.

Also be careful around Surrey if you have late nights. It's the most unsafe area in all of Greater Vancouver.

Liberty4all

Banned
Brentwood area is going to be amazing in 5-10 years but it's under heavy construction right now so it's going to kind of suck. And commuting to Surrey is going to kind of suck as well.

Guildford isn't accessible by skytrain so it's going to be even worse where you'll skytrain in then have to wait for a bus from a station.

Also be careful around Surrey if you have late nights. It's the most unsafe area in all of Greater Vancouver.

My understanding is that Guildford mall is 5 min bus ride from Surrey Central, with buses every 5 - 10 min.

Yeah I heard surrey isn't the safest at night and I'm working near Whalley (my work just east of Guildford mall). I'll be doing 9 - 5 though. Main commute on millenial line with a short commute on the line that goes from Surry central to the transfer station.

I picked Brentwood to live as it seemed pretty safe and I wanted to be closer to downtown Vancouver on weekends ... Assuming I actually meet people to hang out with.

I'll def come for the GAF meetup. I'm used to casual dinners with friends in downtown Toronto... Not knowing anyone is going to be a big bummer on eating out. I really want to explore Vancouver's downtown food scene. Sushi especially ... Sushi in Toronto blows as its just not as fresh.

Firestorm

My iPad is data enabled 3 gigs. Do I need to worry about train robberies? That doesn't really happen on ttc subways.

I've never witnessed one and I've used transit as my main mode of transportation forever. My university was located inside Central City mall so I've been around Surrey Central even overnight doing projects and have caught the 11PM train home plenty of times. It can feel kinda sketchy but I've never actually been at risk of anything. The area has only improved since then.

Liberty4all

Banned
I've never witnessed one and I've used transit as my main mode of transportation forever. My university was located inside Central City mall so I've been around Surrey Central even overnight doing projects and have caught the 11PM train home plenty of times. It can feel kinda sketchy but I've never actually been at risk of anything. The area has only improved since then.

Thanks. I'd heard nightmare stories about deserted Skytrain stations and sketchy individuals.

srst

Skytrains usually have staff and transit police around. Only when you exit the station at night it can be kinda sketchy.

I've been in Vancouver for about a week and a half and I love it. I do live in Downtown (Yaletown) and the area is great. I love all the food and having a Skytrain stop nearby. It's great. I've eaten out like every night. I'm the worst.

I'm also a 8-10 min walk from work which has been awesome.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've been in Vancouver for about a week and a half and I love it. I do live in Downtown (Yaletown) and the area is great. I love all the food and having a Skytrain stop nearby. It's great. I've eaten out like every night. I'm the worst.

niiiice

yeah we have some really, really good food. You'll hardly run out of restaurants to go to al over the lower mainland if you're into that.

Tabris

Taking my advice paid off. If you listened to others you would have lived in some dive on Main St or in Surrey.

If I get 10 people to semi-commit to this, I'll make a thread.

November 14th
4:00 pm PST
Some bar/pub near Skytrain

So we got:

Tabris
Firestorm
Jotamide
The Last Emperor
Nottheguyyoukill
Shaanyboi
Bamelin
Mutfox
RC
TurtleSnatcher
drunkendonuts

That's 11-ish. I'll make a thread sometime this week.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Vancouver taxi companies launch Uber-like booking and payment app

What do you guys think about this eCab app for iOS/Android ?

Apparently the 4 big taxi companies in Vancouver all got together and launched this app that basically functions like Uber app. You can book and pay via the app just like Uber. Sounds good to me, honestly. Currently I have the Yellowcab app that is only missing the pay-via-app function, but otherwise it's pretty good, I thought.

My iPad is data enabled 3 gigs. Do I need to worry about train robberies? That doesn't really happen on ttc subways.
You'll be fine. I've ridden buses/skytrain late at night around metro Vancouver. People usually just keep to themselves and bury their own faces into their own cellphone. Maybe be more attentive at a bus stop, but once you're on a bus/skytrain, I don't really think it's all that dangerous. I've slept on the bus too !

MutFox

Banned
Looks good, lets get that thread up,
maybe we'll get some more Vancouver people in on this.

We need to make it so that we're not seen as the meetup noobs of GAF. :p

Sora_N

I don't think you're at very much risk at all as long as you aren't completely ignoring your surroundings and don't hold onto your stuff.

Even if you aren't careful the risk is really low.

My commute to work is so short now so I only bring my phone. Tried to play 3ds but I end up using it for like 10 minutes at a time. :(

Liberty4all

Banned
I've done 1 hr each way transit commutes in the past ... Was using 3.5 gigs a month on my phone lol. Mobile internet is a lifesaver

Tabris

I'm worried RC is going to murder me :O Haha, he doesn't like me lol

I'm pretty sure I can get him to like me IRL but not sure I can before he murders me lol

Liberty4all

Banned
Probaly a stupid question but office dress in Vancouver is similar to Toronto right (business casual unless working in the financial district)? Khakis, dress shirt, tie etc?

I read somewhere people dress more casually to work in Vancouver ...

Tabris

Very few suit up and very few tie up.

It really depends on company culture. There's a lot of Silicon Valley dress code companies here where you can wear hoodie and jeans if you want, but you can't go wrong with khaki's and tucked in dress shirt.

It also depends on your department too for a lot of companies. I'm in sales so my dress code expected is higher then development for example. I like suiting up though.

Liberty4all

Banned
Very few suit up and very few tie up.

It really depends on company culture. There's a lot of Silicon Valley dress code companies here where you can wear hoodie and jeans if you want, but you can't go wrong with khaki's and tucked in dress shirt.

It also depends on your department too for a lot of companies. I'm in sales so my dress code expected is higher then development for example. I like suiting up though.

I'm going to be working at a WorksBC Employment Centre ... Employment Counsellor/Case Manager. I guess it would be considered social services. No need to suit up in my field in Toronto, it's business casual. I hadn't really thought about it until just now but my entire work wardrobe is khakis, dress shirts and ties. Oh and lots of dress sweathers for those -20 or worse days in the winter. I guess I won't be needing those heh.

Just wanted to check to make sure casual dress in offices outside of the tech sector isn't the norm.

Still trying to figure out which "winter" coat to bring. My current is a wool trench coat good for up to -20 to -30 weather. Thinking about just taking my late fall dress jacket ... I'll be cold though if the weather drops below -5.

Smiley90

Probaly a stupid question but office dress in Vancouver is similar to Toronto right (business casual unless working in the financial district)? Khakis, dress shirt, tie etc?

I read somewhere people dress more casually to work in Vancouver ...

people definitely dress WAY more casually here. There's very few people that go suit&tie.

Liberty4all

Banned
people definitely dress WAY more casually here. There's very few people that go suit&tie.

No ties? Is something like this not normal business casual?

Drake-2.jpg

Edit: pic randomly grabbed from Internet -- is not me

Smiley90

No ties? Is something like this not normal business casual?

SO OVERDRESSED

it's all about cardigans and non-tuck shirts here.

(jk, you'll be fine. just wear that to your first few days and see what everyone else is wearing? :D )

also, sweet, you went to gryffindor too?

Liberty4all

Banned
SO OVERDRESSED

it's all about cardigans and non-tuck shirts here.

(jk, you'll be fine. just wear that to your first few days and see what everyone else is wearing? :D )

also, sweet, you went to gryffindor too?

lol not me random img search ... But typical of what I would wear daily in a business casual environment. I have better ties though lol

RC

Banned
lol not me random img search ... But typical of what I would wear daily in a business casual environment. I have better ties though lol

Leave the tie at home and you'll be fine.

Casual Friday is where it gets tricky.
Our office still requires collared shirts but you can wear jeans. Kinda defeats the purpose.

RC

Banned
Nah, don't be afraid to suit up. Nobodies going to hate on you for it!

I will suit up randomly for the fun of it.

lol I'm not buying y'all drinks :p

Wearing suits for no reason is the epitome of doucheness.

But having said that Tabris, I will buy you a drink if you show up to the meet-up in a suit.

Liberty4all

Banned
To be fair, in Toronto at least, business casual still can include wearing a tie. So like khakis, collared shirt with tie ... Although the tie is not a requirement. Whereas business formal would be the folks on Bay St. in the financial district suited up or at the minimum wearing dress pants dress shirt and tie.

J

Jotamide

Unconfirmed Member
If I had money to buy more and better-looking suits, I would suit up more often. One of my coworkers is dapper as fuck, dressed like straight from a Hugo Boss catalogue. I'm pretty sure he's a better engineer than me just judging by how he looks. :p

Liberty4all

Banned
Just got into Vancouver a couple of hours ago. Went from 26 in Toronto to 14 here ... A little sad, Toronto is enjoying an Indian summer which will likely last a few more weeks. With that said I'll be laughing come wintertime I'm sure.

The air quality at the Vancouver airport is better than my family retreat up in Ontario cottage country haha. I'm exaggerating a bit but not by much. It's crazy how much better the air quality is here.

Smiley90

Just got into Vancouver a couple of hours ago. Went from 26 in Toronto to 14 here ... A little sad, Toronto is enjoying an Indian summer which will likely last a few more weeks. With that said I'll be laughing come wintertime I'm sure.

The air quality at the Vancouver airport is better than my family retreat up in Ontario cottage country haha. I'm exaggerating a bit but not by much. It's crazy how much better the air quality is here.

welcome to Vancouver.

Here's your complimentary umbrella, make sure you sign up for your yoga classes in time and complain about transit at least twice a day and you'll be fine.

Top Bottom