• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
We're going to be staying in downtown for a few days in February and would like to hit up a really, really good Italian place for Valentine's dinner. I saw Francesco and Giardino mentioned early on in the thread, but current reviews don't seem to indicate that they're particularly great. We were looking at Lupo or Ask For Luigi (but the latter doesn't take reservations, so that's likely out of the running). Anyone tried either place or can suggest something specific?

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I've been at Lupo, it's quiet and romantic. It's like a little house with tables in it. The waiters were were attentive, the food was... maybe above-average. Go for the atmosphere, not the food. It's a great romantic evening out spot though. So for Valentine's, sure.

Check out La Terrazza. It's probably the most romantic Italian restaurant in town I've been to and they also have a Valentine's day menu.

Tabris

We're going to be staying in downtown for a few days in February and would like to hit up a really, really good Italian place for Valentine's dinner. I saw Francesco and Giardino mentioned early on in the thread, but current reviews don't seem to indicate that they're particularly great. We were looking at Lupo or Ask For Luigi (but the latter doesn't take reservations, so that's likely out of the running). Anyone tried either place or can suggest something specific?

Here's what I recommend you do for a really romantic date night:

- Go to Market by Jean-Georges which will have an amazing valentine's set menu
- Then spend the night in the Shangri-La
- Then go to Chi, the Spa in the hotel and enjoy a couple massage in the morning. They do this couples retreat package for 3hrs, amazing.

Right downtown so you can then do whatever you want after your romantic night and relaxing morning.

Cosmic Bus

pristine morning snow
Check out La Terrazza. It's probably the most romantic Italian restaurant in town I've been to and they also have a Valentine's day menu.

Do you know if Terrazza is a prix fixe menu for holidays like this? I'm not entirely opposed to it, but a set number of courses like that is often more food than we actually want.

- Go to Market by Jean-Georges which will have an amazing valentine's set menu
- Then spend the night in the Shangri-La
- Then go to Chi, the Spa in the hotel and enjoy a couple massage in the morning. They do this couples retreat package for 3hrs, amazing.

Market looks great (they have a video of Uwe Boll reviewing the restaurant!) so that might be a good choice for one of the following nights, as I think we're pretty set on an Italian place for the 14th.

Firestorm

All y'all talkin' bout romantic Italian places and I just made plans to stuff my face with pasta at Anton's on Wednesday. Haven't been there in years and a friend's back in town. Can't wait :D

Smiley90

Do you know if Terrazza is a prix fixe menu for holidays like this? I'm not entirely opposed to it, but a set number of courses like that is often more food than we actually want.

Market looks great (they have a video of Uwe Boll reviewing the restaurant!) so that might be a good choice for one of the following nights, as I think we're pretty set on an Italian place for the 14th.

it IS a fixed price menu, yes. but it's not too much food, I've actually had their Valentine's menu before :lol

RC

Banned
All y'all talkin' bout romantic Italian places and I just made plans to stuff my face with pasta at Anton's on Wednesday. Haven't been there in years and a friend's back in town. Can't wait :D

Who needs them overpriced gastronomic douche-chill places anyway?

Anton's is great, I'll tip my invisible hat if you manage not to have any leftovers.

Tabris

Who needs them overpriced gastronomic douche-chill places anyway?

Anton's is great, I'll tip my invisible hat if you manage not to have any leftovers.

Don't you get your picture taken or something like that if you can finish?

Anton is where you go for a family dinner or you're a boring parent. Don't take a date there.

I guarantee you my suggestion will lead to a better time then what others are recommending!

Smiley90

Don't you get your picture taken or something like that if you can finish?

Anton is where you go for a family dinner or you're a boring parent. Don't take a date there.

I guarantee you my suggestion will lead to a better time then what others are recommending!

looooooooooooooool

dear lord just stop, please

Smiley90

Looking for a new job AND a new place at the same time... It's as if I was dating again, constant rejection and getting ignored left and right!

My wife and I really like Tavola. They take reservations.

Tabris

If Bank of Canada is going to go with negative interest rate strategy, house prices are going to go up even more.

looooooooooooooool

dear lord just stop, please

It's true, Anton's is not a great date choice in my opinion.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Looking for a new job AND a new place at the same time... It's as if I was dating again, constant rejection and getting ignored left and right!

Yo Smiley, so how did December go for you ? I remember you had to move and all that crazy stuff while doing finals. Then you were asking people if they got a place to crash here but later you found something else instead. How did it go in the end ?

Also, Tabris, I bought a place in Brentwood now. Guess I'm a smelly suburbnite now ! I am able to get a 2bed/2bath though at a good location so I will be able to even get a roommate to help cut down the financial burden :D

Tabris

so I will be able to even get a roommate to help cut down the financial burden :D

Hey NetMapel, I know a guy that can take you out to Antons!

Boom!

Love_Connection.jpg

Smiley90

Yo Smiley, so how did December go for you ? I remember you had to move and all that crazy stuff while doing finals. Then you were asking people if they got a place to crash here but later you found something else instead. How did it go in the end ?

Also, Tabris, I bought a place in Brentwood now. Guess I'm a smelly suburbnite now ! I am able to get a 2bed/2bath though at a good location so I will be able to even get a roommate to help cut down the financial burden :D

I applied for arbitration, our hearing is set for February :lol

so... I'm still looking. Ish. But I got a biiiit more time now lol.

YO MAPEL NEED A ROOMMATE? :lol

NetMapel

Hey NetMapel, I know a guy that can take you out to Antons!

Boom!

Love_Connection.jpg

lol Tabris. You do realize that Smiley has a girlfriend already right ? But I do like Anton's though ! Good portion for the price so it's good value :)

Tabris

I used to live at Brentwood too. You may be living in my old building actually based on your description.

z74BM.jpg

EDIT - lol looking at the picture you can see how old this was with my 2 blackberries (PERL and the main one) before iPhone existed in Canada.

NetMapel

I applied for arbitration, our hearing is set for February :lol

so... I'm still looking. Ish. But I got a biiiit more time now lol.

YO MAPEL NEED A ROOMMATE? :lol

Hmmmm... that's possible if you're serious about it. Could look at a March 1st start. I'm moving in myself at the end of January so I want to use February to get used to the place myself and furnish it.

I used to live at Brentwood too. You may be living in my old building actually based on your description.

z74BM.jpg

EDIT - lol looking at the picture you can see how old this was with my 2 blackberries (PERL and the main one) before iPhone existed in Canada.

I see the Save On Food outside the windows so I think I know where that is, but that's Gilmore station, no ? I'm not at Gilmore station as I will be getting on/off at Brentwood station.

Smiley90

I see the Save On Food outside the windows so I think I know where that is, but that's Gilmore station, no ?

pretty sure you can't see a save-on from Gilmore station, there's no save-on nearby there...

NetMapel

It's between the 2 stations. Gilmore and Brentwood are like 3 blocks away from each other. I never understood why they had Gilmore station.

Oh yeah that's the one I meant. It's kind of between the two stations but I thought walking there from Gilmore station might be a little closer than to walk there from Brentwood. Either way though, I've noticed that it's all very developed and built out between Gilmore and Brentwood station now with high rises and all that. Crazy development going on in that whole area :O

Tabris

Oh yeah that's the one I meant. It's kind of between the two stations but I thought walking there from Gilmore station might be a little closer than to walk there from Brentwood. Either way though, I've noticed that it's all very developed and built out between Gilmore and Brentwood station now with high rises and all that. Crazy development going on in that whole area :O

When I was there, mine was one of the few high-rises there back then but it's been totally developed up and Brentwood will be quite different by 2020 (the construction will be annoying though). It's also much cleaner area then Metrotown.

You're now a dirty suburbanite though :)

z74BM.jpg

I see a driving manual.

So, the government just announced they're going to be forcing people from some of the high rises and condos in yaletown and other downtown locations to make room for the Syrian refugees.

Tabris, Surrey is calling you

Smiley90

So, the government just announced they're going to be forcing people from some of the high rises and condos in yaletown and other downtown locations to make room for the Syrian refugees.

Can I pretend to be a refugee?

Tabris

Oh, btw, when Smiley and NetMapel are married, have a kid, and are spending their Sunday eating family breakfast while watching friends episodes. Remember who made that love connection :)

Tabris would combust upon crossing the bridge.

Oh, btw, when Smiley and NetMapel are married, have a kid, and are spending their Sunday eating family breakfast while watching friends episodes. Remember who made that love connection :)

anigif_enhanced-10440-1438023480-2.gif

North Burnaby is definitely getting more popular. If it wasn't so far away from work I'd be looking for a place there.

South Burnaby apartments are spiking. For the prices they're asking I could live in Vancouver instead.

Tabris

Too hot. I actually had to turn on air conditioning last summer. Madness!

Unless he lives in the NW Territories, pretty sure most everywhere else will be hotter for him in the summer.

The answer is it's beautiful. Vancouver is probably one of the best places on earth during summer. It's never too hot (Cheerilee needs to do some traveling) and never too cold.

Smiley90

one of my friends took his gf on a third date to Denny's

they've been together for like 5 years now

And before you ask, Maple Ridge. :lol

NetMapel

Yo you have no idea how much I love Friends. Great show :D I could watch an episode from it any time haha !

Top Bottom