• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

isny

napkin dispenser
Thanks Verizon for selling unlocked iPhones and thanks Canada for having a thirst for unlocked iPhones!

Sold my iPhone 6 Plus for a decent amount.

The Apple stores in Canada have been selling unlocked iPhones in Canada before almost ANY other country in the world has offered them, including the U.S.

If you managed to sell one to someone here you got lucky. They can just walk into any Apple store and walk out with an unlocked one in five minutes.

Tabris

The Apple stores in Canada have been selling unlocked iPhones in Canada before almost ANY other country in the world has offered them, including the U.S.

If you managed to sell one to someone here you got lucky. They can just walk into any Apple store and walk out with an unlocked one in five minutes.

He may not be considering the higher cost of iPhone's (and any electronic, video game, etc) right now due to the currency exchange, and maybe higher tax rate then Texas.

Plus iPhones don't depreciate much. I sell mine on Craigslist and upgrade every year. People are fine buying used on craigslist to save money on taxes, etc. Ends up barely costing me anything cause every 2 years I get one on contract (I have to pay $50 to unlock that when selling).

But to respond back directly to Turtle's statement. You can buy unlocked iPhones here without issue by buying direct off contract from Apple store. Or if you did buy one on contract with a carrier and it's locked to that carrier, Canadian law requires that they unlock your phone if asked (they charge a $50 unlock fee).

Firestorm

Yeah though unlocked iPhones have been available for years, Vancouver has a particular appetite for them as we do have a lot of people who travel and require an unlocked phone. Apple devices don't depreciate in value as much as other phones. You won't sell it at a higher price than retail here like maybe you could back in the day (or during launches) but they're still valuables and people will buy off Craigslist to save a few bucks.

I bought my iPhone 6 off Craigslist at the beginning of the year myself. I looked for an unlocked one. Got it just as retail prices went up so I was a bit lucky.

Feds in the US just raised interest rates by .25 ... First time since 2006 and the first of many rate hikes to follow (IMHO).

http://www.theguardian.com/business...-us-interest-rate-rise-fed-funds-janet-yellen

I wonder when BoC will be forced to follow and the effect this will have on housing prices across Canada?

They won't raise interest rates. Apparently everyone is saying they will stay put.

And now onto my other message...

http://blog.doordash.com/post/134415385906/vancouver-here-we-come

ATTN: Vancouver - Please use DoorDash. It is a food delivery service that is amazing that just launched in Vancouver about a week and a half ago. It is the Uber of food delivery in the US and they just launched in Canada with Vancouver and Toronto.

There are about 80-90 restaurants and they currently serve Downtown, Mt. Pleasant, Kitsilano, West Point Grey, Shaughnessy, and Arbutus Ridge.

They are also offering $1-2 delivery fees through the end of the year and if you are new, they will award you credits after each order for the first few orders thus essentially making them sometimes free and covering some of the driver tip. The app/site tracks your delivery and even tells you when they are close.

The customer service is amazing as well. I had a slow delivery today and they contacted me after the order w/o me reaching out to them to apologize and to apply $10 of credit to my account due to the slowness. Most orders are fairly quick and they over estimate on their expected ETA.

They also offer a lot of good food places including Vijs Rangoli and stuff.

This was an order I just made for Jinya Ramen off Robson to my place in Coal Harbour.

Delivered in 14 minutes from my order time. Insane. It shits all over things like JustEat.ca.

RjMe0kI.png

Use it! Let me refer you via app for credit as well if you want to try it :)

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Feds in the US just raised interest rates by .25 ... First time since 2006 and the first of many rate hikes to follow (IMHO).

http://www.theguardian.com/business...-us-interest-rate-rise-fed-funds-janet-yellen

I wonder when BoC will be forced to follow and the effect this will have on housing prices across Canada?

Canadian economic data is still way too weak to raise rates right now. I'm more concerned about the thought balloon Poloz put out last week about considering negative rates like what's happening in Europe right now.

If the BoC does that, the dollar will get a lot weaker and I don't see it helping imports as they aren't selling already due to a huge glut in the market and we'd be competing in a race to the bottom with other resource-based economies. People in Canada would mostly just be punished with everything getting more expense in stores as the dollar continued to weaken.

It'll be interesting how many more times the Fed raises rates next year. Speculation is at 3-4 more times, but I have my doubts. Their economy is a lot more fragile than it looks when you consider workforce participation, which age groups gobbling up most of the jobs, the absolutely anemic state of the Baltic Dry Index, etc.

Lol, fuck food.ee right?
Seeing how food.ee caters towards more large groups like offices... It requires you to usually get $30-50 of food minimum and tacks on $15 or so delivery fees.

Enjoy ordering from that.

Canadian economic data is still way too weak to raise rates right now. I'm more concerned about the thought balloon Poloz put out last week about considering negative rates like what's happening in Europe right now.

If the BoC does that, the dollar will get a lot weaker and I don't see it helping imports as they aren't selling already due to a huge glut in the market and we'd be competing in a race to the bottom with other resource-based economies. People in Canada would mostly just be punished with everything getting more expense in stores as the dollar continued to weaken.

It'll be interesting how many more times the Fed raises rates next year. Speculation is at 3-4 more times, but I have my doubts. Their economy is a lot more fragile than it looks when you consider workforce participation, which age groups gobbling up most of the jobs, the absolutely anemic state of the Baltic Dry Index, etc.

Absolutely agree on your last statement. The US economy has recovered but it's slightly deceptive. I believe the current workforce is on lower average salaries than they were prior to giant dip in the economy 8 or so years ago. Unemployment may be lower but it's because everyone is taking a lower income job to get back into the workforce.

lupin23rd

Anyone here been up to see the northern lights? Have a friend from Japan who wants to come out and see them, so we're thinking about going up sometime early next year. Not really sure if it's best to organize things yourself, or jump on a tour package, etc.. and just looking for general info at the moment.

Thanks for the recommendation TurtleSnatcher, will check that app out. The thought of delivery ramen actually boggles my mind, I've never even considered that. And since I like ramen and have yet to try Jinya, I may give that a go this week!

I'm working right now so haven't been walking through it but it just looks like rain out my window.

You posted 2 hours after my post and your own..

So yes it did stop and it is now rain. I sit next to the window and when others were posting about the snow, it was snowing for about 20-25 minutes (not sticking obviously)

Firestorm

Coming down hard in Surrey. It's like I never left Toronto!

Lol wtf everyone in the office is panicking... Talk about closing early. Haha its not THAT bad
Wait 'til you see people trying to drive!

Snow was a bit scarier when I worked or studied at SFU Burnaby. Buses would stop running up the mountain so that was a risk to keep in mind...

Mr Nash

square pies = communism
Yeah, BC drivers are bad enough in normal weather, add snow and it manages to get even worse. So glad I don't drive anymore. Just not worth dealing the terrible drivers here. =S

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
They won't raise interest rates. Apparently everyone is saying they will stay put.

And now onto my other message...

http://blog.doordash.com/post/134415385906/vancouver-here-we-come

ATTN: Vancouver - Please use DoorDash. It is a food delivery service that is amazing that just launched in Vancouver about a week and a half ago. It is the Uber of food delivery in the US and they just launched in Canada with Vancouver and Toronto.

There are about 80-90 restaurants and they currently serve Downtown, Mt. Pleasant, Kitsilano, West Point Grey, Shaughnessy, and Arbutus Ridge.

They are also offering $1-2 delivery fees through the end of the year and if you are new, they will award you credits after each order for the first few orders thus essentially making them sometimes free and covering some of the driver tip. The app/site tracks your delivery and even tells you when they are close.

The customer service is amazing as well. I had a slow delivery today and they contacted me after the order w/o me reaching out to them to apologize and to apply $10 of credit to my account due to the slowness. Most orders are fairly quick and they over estimate on their expected ETA.

They also offer a lot of good food places including Vijs Rangoli and stuff.

This was an order I just made for Jinya Ramen off Robson to my place in Coal Harbour.

Delivered in 14 minutes from my order time. Insane. It shits all over things like JustEat.ca.

Use it! Let me refer you via app for credit as well if you want to try it :)

I would really love to give this a try but I am moving to Brentwood in January. They need to support Brentwood area for me to be able to take advantage of it !

Anyone else in the startup scene?

Man, there's some strange mothafuckas lol. Filipinos are really giving some of these white people a run for their money, in terms of stupid ideas mixed with shitty personalities

Liberty4all

Banned
Hey do any of you guys need a TV? I bought it less than 3 months ago before I knew I was moving to Red Deer. 42 inch LG LED (non smart). I paid 515 for it, trying to sell it for 200. I have receipt and box.

Model # is LF5400. Gonna post to craigs list or kijiji if no takers.

Firestorm

Ugh. Following YVR Deals makes me wanna travel so much. $190 CAD round trip to LA between Christmas and New Years...
my gf is a programmer and looking for a job, does that count?
If she's experienced, knows Node (or can pick it up quickly), and likes video games ('specially esports), PM me and I can pass it on!

Liberty4all

Banned
We had one a couple years back in Toronto. It's infinitely worse when you are 17 stories up and the building starts swaying! I was on the ground this time but one of our walls in the house I'm staying at made a loud boom noise. Freaked us out.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Wife seriously talking about heading to Canadian Tire and buying out the place. We're already stocked for the upcoming zombie apocalypse, no need to get greedy.

Wife seriously talking about heading to Canadian Tire and buying out the place. We're already stocked for the upcoming zombie apocalypse, no need to get greedy.

Use it as an excuse to get some new sporting equipment
You know, for after the earthquake when you need recreational activities to get over the carnage...or something

RC

Banned
Had so many messages from friends asking me if I felt the earthquake. I didn't feel shit. Of course I was on ground level and drinking at the time.

Top Bottom