• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Pretty sure you can get laid showing your knife and hubcap collection to girls in Surrey.

Probably could but most of them be those fine Vancouver women. You know, ones from fancy areas instead of off Stadium.

Eww.

May as well say you're from Surrey.

Stop trying to make downtown happen, Tabris, you'll never be downtown. *snaps fingers in a sassy motion*

Cheerilee

So I'm thinking of switching from Mobilicity to WIND. Good idea?

Were you on Mobilicity before they got bought by Rogers? Were you able to handle that level of network coverage? Because Wind's network was better than Mobilicity's back then, and Wind made some improvements recently. It's still not up to the level of Rogers/Bell/Telus, but that might be incoming, seeing as how Shaw's likely buying Wind.

CygnusXS

will gain confidence one day
Were you on Mobilicity before they got bought by Rogers? Were you able to handle that level of network coverage? Because Wind's network was better than Mobilicity's back then, and Wind made some improvements recently. It's still not up to the level of Rogers/Bell/Telus, but that might be incoming, seeing as how Shaw's likely buying Wind.
I've been with Mobilicity for maybe 3 years now. I'm OK with the coverage I've been getting, but my data has been garbage the last few weeks and I'm tired of a couple other things.

I think I'll try WIND for a month and see how I feel. Might just end up going to Rogers (or, well, FIDO).

Thanks guys.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
Maple skillfully ignoring my question about becoming her roommate

/homelesszoned

I still use Verizon from the US...

But they have a promotion going for 1GB of free international data and it's $20 for each additional gig.

I'm on a lowly plan now in the US on Verizon to keep my phone number and just add on the data in Canada when needed. I usually stay below 2-3GB and use Wifi as much as possible.

This also allows me to switch between Telus, Rogers, Bell and WIND which is a nice benefit!

(I just stick to Rogers)

When was the next Vancouver-GAF meetup?

Firestorm

I thought we were doin' February? Let's set a date!

If you have Shaw you can use Shaw Open which is pretty plentiful downtown and will keep your data usage fairly low.

Pretty sure you can get laid showing your knife and hubcap collection to girls in Surrey.

I feel like one of these days someone from Surrey is going to come to Vancouver and physically assault you. Like, you'll just be walking, and some Surrey Jack is going to walk up and just gut punch you. It'll be like the collective psychic energies of everyone living in the suburbs and areas outside of the nice part of Downtown and the West Side is just going to be collected in that single punch and you are going to literally explode into meat giblets.

Yeah I just saw Toronto was doing another meetup. Let's do this.

jDBVx6b.gif

Tabris

I feel like one of these days someone from Surrey is going to come to Vancouver and physically assault you. Like, you'll just be walking, and some Surrey Jack is going to walk up and just gut punch you. It'll be like the collective psychic energies of everyone living in the suburbs and areas outside of the nice part of Downtown and the West Side is just going to be collected in that single punch and you are going to literally explode into meat

Nah they wouldn't harm one of their own. I spent some of my youth living in Newton and Sullivan areas. Used to spend a bunch of time with my childhood best friend in Whaley.

Surrey, delta, clover dale, and Squamish are the cities I lived in before moving downtown at 18.

So I know how gross they are as I lived it lol

Maple skillfully ignoring my question about becoming her roommate

/homelesszoned

Trouble in paradise already?

Tabris

Tabris shouldn't you be busy buying a plane ticket to Taiwan like I told you to? Best food in Asia dammit!

I asked you questions about it and you never responded!

What kind of experience can I get in Taiwan that I can't get between Hong Kong, China, South Korea, Japan, and Thailand? I'm legitimately curious as I hadn't really done any research on Taiwan outside of history with the whole ROC relocation.

And if I do go to Taipei, it would be somewhere in the middle of the trip, so 6 months in.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Tabris don't be jealous. You can come play some video games too :) I will speak about Taiwan later when I have some time to type things. Busy working now yay~

I feel like one of these days someone from Surrey is going to come to Vancouver and physically assault you. Like, you'll just be walking, and some Surrey Jack is going to walk up and just gut punch you. It'll be like the collective psychic energies of everyone living in the suburbs and areas outside of the nice part of Downtown and the West Side is just going to be collected in that single punch and you are going to literally explode into meat giblets.

Walking around? Bro, he's knee-deep in Fallout 4, that's all the walking he'll ever do.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
I asked you questions about it and you never responded!

And if I do go to Taipei, it would be somewhere in the middle of the trip, so 6 months in.

Taiwan is a relatively small island so you should be able to see and do a lot on the island in a very short amount of time.

I'll start by saying all the cool ancient Chinese artifacts are actually mostly located in Taiwan at the National Palace Museum. It happened towards the end of the Chinese civil war where the losing nationalist party fled to Taiwan from the communists and took with them a bunch of valuable and historical goods. Ancient Chinese coins, jade carvings, bronze goods are all preserved in this museum and is world renown. If you're interested in Chinese history at all, then you need to visit this place.

The famous Sun Moon Lake up on the mountain in the middle of Taiwan.

Fairly close to the Sun Moon Lake is also the famous Alishan mountain and its historical railroad service. People come up to this mountain to enjoy the beautiful sun rise similar to Fuji mountain.

Since you love beaches, we got Kenting National Park that's home to some of the most diverse ocean ecology similar to the Great Barrier Reef.

For the foodies, there's the world famous night markets that you won't find anywhere else in the world. The unique thing with food in Taiwan is that it contains a variety of food. You can find good Japanese, Korean, various regional Chinese and Taiwanese food all very close to each others in Taipei city, for example. The reason for that is because Taiwan is home to many regional influences both historically and presently. The many Chinese immigrants, its past occupation by Japanese and the rising influence of Korean culture all contributed to the variety of food choices available in Taipei. Fusion food is also very popular which means you'll get a great fusion type food that's very unique. Since you're from Vancouver, hopefully you're a fan of Asian food in general. If so, you will love the Asian food available in Taiwan because it's truly the heart of great Asian cuisine.

Obviously there's a lot more to see and do in Taiwan such as visiting the super tall Taipei 101 building. But this is just to give you an idea what you can do in Taiwan. It's a more chilled place compared to Hong Kong and known to be more civilized compared to mainland China. If you got more questions, just ask.

Majestad

Banned
So like I mentioned before, I visited Vancouver last month and it was awesome. I visited FlyOver Canada, the Capillano Bridge, Vancouver Museum, Chinatown, Gastown, Stanley Park and ate Japadog.

I would like to go there again sometime this year. What are other cool things to do aside from what I mentioned?

Smiley90

So like I mentioned before, I visited Vancouver last month and it was awesome. I visited FlyOver Canada, the Capillano Bridge, Vancouver Museum, Chinatown, Gastown, Stanley Park and ate Japadog.

I would like to go there again sometime this year. What are other cool things to do aside from what I mentioned?

Queen Elizabeth Park, go watch a hockey game (lol), Grouse Mountain, go eat some cheap and delicious food everywhere

You have seen every thing Vancouver has to offer.

Firestorm

I always have trouble recommending things to see in Vancouver as a tourist. It's an amazing place to live in though. If you're around in warm weather, try biking along the seawall or at least walking along it and stopping whenever you feel like and taking in the atmosphere.

Eat whatever type of food you feel like as you'll find at least one good place for any type of food downtown (or if you're feeling adventurous, take our great transit system out to where you'll find even more options).

Night Market in Richmond is an interesting experience if you don't have something similar but that's only during the summer.

Mountains for hiking in the warm seasons and skiing/snowboarding/snow-shoeing in the winter.

Tabris

Thanks for that NetMapel. I'm considering it

I guess it all depends how much flights are at the time I want to book them for all these places. Also we both have to agree on the places we want to go, so I'll show her the info you posted.

Thanks to airbnb we can plan these live abroad countries on the fly a bit. Just need to arrange a couple of things before we go such as getting SIM cards delivered (we both have unlocked iPhones) or knowing where to pick them up at least.

And for China we'll need to get a visa (not Hong Kong or Macau) before.

Tabris

I recommend keeping an eye on http://yvrdeals.com/ (subscribe via email or Facebook notifications). There have been sub $600 flights to Hong Kong and various locations in China multiple times over the past year.

Well it would be from places like Bangkok, Seoul, or Tokyo. So flights should be cheaper. The flight to Bangkok from Vancouver will be covered via air miles.

As if Tabris flew Economy with the peasants

I've flown economy more then you in our lives, guaranteed. I've earned the right to enjoy business class and look upon people going into economy while sipping my champagne :)

Smiley90

Well it would be from places like Bangkok, Seoul, or Tokyo. So flights should be cheaper. The flight to Bangkok from Vancouver will be covered via air miles.

I've flown economy more then you in our lives, guaranteed. I've earned the right to enjoy business class and look upon people going into economy while sipping my champagne :)

TL;DR: You're correct, Smiley

Tabris

TL;DR: You're correct, Smiley

A general rule of thumb I follow is try to always do things where they bring you hot towel to. So nice restaurants, hair salons w/ spa treatment, business class flights, etc.

Because the hot towel is so nice and refreshing!

Or as the Japanese like to call it, an Oshibori.

Smiley90

Swiss Economy class gets you a hot towel too, had one on my flight this Christmas. Air Canada is just a worse airline. You dont have to pay for luxury for a hit towel.

Also, I'm still waiting to see one post where you're not adding something pretentious/braggy like that japanese "anecdote"

RC

Banned
Swiss Economy class gets you a hot towel too, had one on my flight this Christmas. Air Canada is just a worse airline. You dont have to pay for luxury for a hit towel.

Also, I'm still waiting to see one post where you're not adding something pretentious/braggy like that japanese "anecdote"

As a "cultured" douchebag he can't help it.

trifelife

We're doing a meetup on Feb 13th because we only do meet ups on nights where the Canucks play the Leafs right?

The pain of losing to Toronto is so great that we need bros around for consolation.

Did you play Final Fantasy IX yet??

A general rule of thumb I follow is try to always do things where they bring you hot towel to. So nice restaurants, hair salons w/ spa treatment, business class flights, etc.

If we bring a hot towel to the meetup will you come?

Obvs no.

Firestorm

weeb

Top Bottom