• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Yoooooooo, Gilmore Station is getting redeveloped ? That's awesome because it's just one station away from Brentwood Station which is also getting massive redevelopment with the mall.

gilmore-station-burnaby-1.jpg

gilmore-station-burnaby-9.jpg

Another major redevelopment project is planned for Burnaby’s Brentwood area along the SkyTrain Millennium Line, and its tallest tower could possibly surpass the heights of downtown Vancouver’s current tallest with the intention of creating a “dramatic skyline from the distance.”

Onni Development is seeking community input to develop a large 12.48-acre site immediately adjacent to Gilmore Station, just one station west of Brentwood Town Centre Station, into a transit-oriented mixed-use development with 500,000 square feet of retail space, up to one million square feet of office space for 5,000 jobs, and up to 2,500 residential units.

Pretty exciting time in the northern Burnaby area ! Glad to be moving there soon :)

Now what's Tabris' thought on this nice walkable development ? Very exciting that here's a whole region of northern Burnaby that's becoming more walkable within itself and it's one bus away from Metrotown too.

Tabris

Now what's Tabris' thought on this nice walkable development ?

Yeah, Brentwood area is going to be one of the best places outside downtown in terms of urban development and walkability.

I was way ahead of my time renting a place out there the 6 or so years ago I had one there. I saw the potential but I couldn't wait 10 years for it to happen.

Yoooooooo, Gilmore Station is getting redeveloped ? That's awesome because it's just one station away from Brentwood Station which is also getting massive redevelopment with the mall.

Pretty exciting time in the northern Burnaby area ! Glad to be moving there soon :)

Now what's Tabris' thought on this nice walkable development ? Very exciting that here's a whole region of northern Burnaby that's becoming more walkable within itself and it's one bus away from Metrotown too.

Good

MutFox

Banned

Sweet, that's really close to where I currently work... :p
Probably won't be stopping there too often though, usually go straight home after work.
Though maybe, I have friends nearby.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
BROWN TOURISTS TAKING PICTURES/VIDEOS OF TOURIST ATTRACTION

CALL THE COPS HONEY

Yeah, Brentwood area is going to be one of the best places outside downtown in terms of urban development and walkability.

I was way ahead of my time renting a place out there the 6 or so years ago I had one there. I saw the potential but I couldn't wait 10 years for it to happen.

Surrey will be more popular due to increase in population + planned extensions of the EXPO line. Brentwood will be there sooner but Surrey and other areas will blow past due to low cost + transit increases.

It's why apartments being sold near Surrey Central have line ups at early AM and are all bought before noon. My GF's family bought a few already.

Smiley90

Surrey will be more popular due to increase in population + planned extensions of the EXPO line. Brentwood will be there sooner but Surrey and other areas will blow past due to low cost + transit increases.

It's why apartments being sold near Surrey Central have line ups at early AM and are all bought before noon. My GF's family bought a few already.

you're everything that's wrong with housing in Vancouver

looooooooool

Firestorm

BROWN TOURISTS TAKING PICTURES/VIDEOS OF TOURIST ATTRACTION

CALL THE COPS HONEY
Honestly anyone taking pictures of every entrance/exit is pretty fucking suspicious. Also you're not allowed to film/photograph like that in a mall. It isn't public property.

May or may not have had to feign ignorance to that multiple times when doing film projects in the mall.

Smiley90

Honestly anyone taking pictures of every entrance/exit is pretty fucking suspicious. Also you're not allowed to film/photograph like that in a mall. It isn't public property.

May or may not have had to feign ignorance to that multiple times when doing film projects in the mall.

what? I've taken countless pictures inside malls, and entrances of malls if I e.g. like the architecture of it. Doesn't make me a goddamn terrorist.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Now people are probably going to be jerks and pull pranks buy prank photographing around Pacific Centre or something to mess with the police. I hope there was good reason why the police sounded alarm in this instance. Surely there were many other middle eastern people who took photos around Pacific Centre and ran into no problem before? Going to be a lot of noise in the near future because of pranksters probably

Dabanton

So the guys came forward and cleared up why they were there. The Police are happy and left it at that. Been reading comments on FB on this story and I may as well have a lobotomy.

Firestorm

what? I've taken countless pictures inside malls, and entrances of malls if I e.g. like the architecture of it. Doesn't make me a goddamn terrorist.
Man I read the original post you made and I was like "THAT SOUNDS LIKE THE DEFINITION OF TOURIST YOU'RE TAKING PICTURES OF A FUCKIN' MALL"

Why would you take 360 photos of an exit? That's the most pointless casing ever since (1) moving objects in the background and (2) you don't take photos of the exit because what are you going to do when you're fleeing LOOK FOR THAT DOOR AND COMPARE IT TO MAKE SURE? If you're going to case a mall you do it by visiting it like a normal person and over time you understand it super well. Plus, you want major damage so you would hit a train during a hockey game or an event.

Amateurs.

Tabris

Surrey's population will expand but it won't be more popular. People wouldn't live in Surrey if they had the choice economically.

just call out vancity buzz

Yeah it's pretty disgusting what they did. Tempted to not follow them anymore. But they have a lot of click bait like practices already, so it's hard to expect journalist ethics.

Surrey's population will expand but it won't be more popular. People wouldn't live in Surrey if they had the choice economically.

That's a pretty dumb assessment since it's factually cheaper and in about a decade will surpass Vancouver's population. Vancouver may be more touristy but it's housing sucks ass. Investing in $220k to $300k condos next to the sky train line is more economical especially when the plans are to extend the EXPO line. King George from 108ave to 104ave is in progress of redevelopment (waiting on leases to expire). Thankfully I am grandfathered in because the CHEAPEST a 1 bedroom in my building is $900.

Welcome to the better market, bruh.

Tabris

Welcome to the better market, bruh.

I don't think you read my comment right.

Tell me a single person that is living in Surrey instead of Vancouver for any reason except not being able to afford what they want in Vancouver or commute time.

It's also not the better market, it's the more affordable market.

That's why Surrey will always be the slums of Vancouver. More people there just increases this fact.

There is nothing you can say for Surrey over Vancouver except "it's cheaper". Slums are cheaper.

I don't think you read my comment right.

Tell me a single person that is living in Surrey instead of Vancouver for any reason except not being able to afford what they want in Vancouver or commute time.

It's also not the better market, it's the more affordable market.

That's why Surrey will always be the slums of Vancouver. More people there just increases this fact.

Of course, but if you want to say if someone could afford to live in Vancouver they wouldn't as there's more appealing cities in the world. That's a dumb argument because it's like saying if a billionaire would rather live in a mansion in England or in Vancouver they would choose England.

It is easily a better market. You can get someone to pay $1200 for a two-bedroom, mediocre apartment here. The prices are steadily going up, and with the increase of population each year it will be easy to acquire occupancy.

By the way, most business isn't in Downtown Vancouver. The people commuting from Langley, Surrey, and other areas aren't headed there.

You sure love being wrong. <3 Calling it a slum just shows how well you know the market.

Tabris

Your reading comprehension needs work. Just breath before you start on your ramble and give my posts another read through.

I said "for any reason except ... commute time." As in, if their commute time is quicker from Surrey is the only other reason they would live there.

But on to your facetious point about billionaires choosing England (I assume you're actually talking about London specifically) over Vancouver, well that is a lot more situational over a lot of other factors including where their businesses are run, what their citizenship is, etc. I bet you it's more common for wealthy Chinese nationals to look towards Vancouver then London right now. I don't know why I bother sometimes arguing against your facetious points you always make.

The debate is no one would choose Surrey over Vancouver except for affordability or commute time. It's the slums of Vancouver.

Your reading comprehension needs work. Just breath before you start on your ramble and give my posts another read through.

I said "for any reason except ... commute time." As in, if their commute time is quicker from Surrey is the only other reason they would live there.

But on to your facetious point about billionaires choosing England (I assume you're actually talking about London specifically) over Vancouver, well that is a lot more situational over a lot of other factors including where their businesses are run, what their citizenship is, etc. I bet you it's more common for wealthy Chinese nationals to look towards Vancouver then London right now. I don't know why I bother sometimes arguing against your facetious points always you make.

The debate is no one would choose Surrey over Vancouver except for affordability or commute time. It's the slums of Vancouver.

"Surrey's population will expand but it won't be more popular. People wouldn't live in Surrey if they had the choice economically."

That's your original point. You don't know how to argue. Man, I thought you would be better than this. I figured you would know 0 about the housing market. Trying to act elite means nothing when you live in the skirt of downtown. Come back with your elite attitude when it can afford more than mediocre 4 blocks from Stadium / adjacent to DTES apartment. You make real downtown people look bad.

Firestorm

I agree with Tabris that factors important to liveability are the only reasons to live in Surrey. Gastown is way stronger for people having mid-life crises.

Tabris

"Surrey's population will expand but it won't be more popular. People wouldn't live in Surrey if they had the choice economically."

That's your original point. You don't know how to argue. Man, I thought you would be better than this. I figured you would know 0 about the housing market. Trying to act elite means nothing when you live in the skirt of downtown. Come back with your elite attitude when it can afford more than mediocre 4 blocks from Stadium / adjacent to DTES apartment.

Yes, and my original point stands. If you could afford what you wanted in Vancouver, you wouldn't live in Surrey (I added an addendum of commute time).

Woodwards is an extremely attractive location actually, but you wouldn't know taste being from Surrey. But if I had the money to afford a penthouse at Vancouver House instead, of course I would want to live there. My place is the Surrey to that.

I agree with Tabris that factors important to liveability are the only reasons to live in Surrey. Gastown is way stronger for people having mid-life crises.

Money is more important than a place which is why rich people tend to live lives of status and social instead of "livability". One of the bigger examples is the Hamptons or areas of California.

Rich people don't need metropolises because it comes to them or the distance is trivialized.

Tabris needs some rich friends.

Yes, and my original point stands. If you could afford what you wanted in Vancouver, you wouldn't live in Surrey (I added an addendum of commute time).

Woodwards is an extremely attractive location actually, but you wouldn't know taste being from Surrey. But if I had the money to afford a penthouse at Vancouver House instead, of course I would want to live there. My place is the Surrey to that.

Which is just the status ladder. Eventually you would retreat somewhere else because the money can afford it. Warren Buffet lives in Omaha for a reason. Your idea of livability is meaningless when you strip it down.

Woodwards is ew by the way.

I thought you'd be good at this.

*shrugs*

Tabris

Tabris needs some rich friends.

I lived in Surrey when I was young, I wouldn't have had them growing up :p

I actually just did a quick search on craigslist and my apartment is actually priced extremely high on the downtown side. $600k for a 650 sqft apartment. Only one I could find in the same size dimensions and 1 bedroom is $800k. I picked the right choice "more than mediocre 4 blocks from Stadium / adjacent to DTES apartment." as Woodwards is valued very high according to this.

This was the one priced above, which is the type of place I want to move into after my trip and working my butt off (or if my startup goes well):

00j0j_3ImBfgYxr8c_600x450.jpg

I lived in Surrey when I was young, I wouldn't have had them growing up :p

I actually just did a quick search on craigslist and my apartment is actually priced extremely high on the downtown side. $600k for a 650 sqft apartment. Only one I could find in the same size dimensions and 1 bedroom is $800k. I picked the right choice "more than mediocre 4 blocks from Stadium / adjacent to DTES apartment." as Woodwards is valued very high according to this.

This was the one priced above, which is the type of place I want to move into after my trip:

00j0j_3ImBfgYxr8c_600x450.jpg

Again, it's still Woodward. If you really think it's top quality then you're delusional.

Ew.

Like, really, ew.

By the way, I lived 689 Abbot and Expo (a much better place than yours). Woodwards is ew. That's like the slums of Vancouver.

Firestorm

Tabris is literally the only person I've ever heard call Woodwards an "extremely attractive location" ._.

Speaking of which, our office moved a few more blocks away from Woodwards!
In my last week at the old office closer to Woodwards, I stepped out to grab a coffee and there was a dude passed out on the street with someone calling 911. Gonna be glad not to have to deal with that and screaming people outside.

Tabris

lol @ you two calling Woodwards gross. You guys have bad taste.

Woodwards is such a hot property that it only has 2 properties listed and they go quick.

I lived 689 Abbot and Expo (a much better place than yours).

Espana. Do a quick lookup on the price differences between Woodward and Espana units. If it's much better, why is it cheaper?

My favourite property though is Jameson House (but you need a 2 bedroom to get the good views). TurtleSnatcher lives there.

lol @ you two calling Woodwards gross. You guys have bad taste.

Woodwards is such a hot property that it only has 2 properties listed and they go quick.

Espana. Do a quick lookup on the price differences between Woodward and Espana units. If it's much better, why is it cheaper?

My favourite property though is Jameson House (but you need a 2 bedroom to get the good views). TurtleSnatcher lives there.

Well, yeah, we know class and have lived / worked in better locations. You can hype your place up all you want but you still gotta catch a cab if you want to pick a girl up from the club. You need better digs.

"lived" -- reading comprehension isn't your strong suit... is it?

Don't care about the properties now. I'd rather live in Espana because of the proximity is much more beneficial. Aren't you big on proximity? Why would you live in Vancouver's slums if so?

Edit: Just a quick google:

http://www.uniqueaccommodations.com/listing/:/3139/ (espana)
http://www.uniqueaccommodations.com/listing/:/3449/ (woodward)

Woodward is ew, Tabris.

So a 1 bedroom @ $1800 in Woodwards vs a 2 bedroom @ $1950 in Espana

You made my point for me :)

Which is what? You paid more for a slum building? Again, this just shows your status.

This doesn't make Woodward less ew, just makes it more economical to live in a better and closer building to downtown core.

I don't get what you're trying to prove? That you spent more and live further away?

Let me contain my laughter. You're still living in an ew building.

*shrugs*

Tabris

Woodwards is one of the hottest properties outside of Coal Harbour and Yaletown. I did a lot of research to pick my place at Woodwards.

One of the issues with Yaletown and Coal Harbour units is you need to get into the 2 bedroom layouts to get the best views and open plans, and I can't afford those ($800k+). Before I bought at Woodwards, I looked over floor plans and views for the following buildings:

- Jameson House
- Capitol Residences (ugly interiors)
- Shaw Tower
- Residences @ Georgia
- One Wall Centre

I also don't think certain parts of Yaletown are great from a proximity standpoint. They are generally just surrounded by other residential buildings. I think mixed neighbourhoods are best. Most of Yaletown is pretty quiet actually, same with western Coal Harbour. I wanted a place where it didn't feel like a quiet neighbourhood at night.

Woodwards had a perfect mix of still being alive at night you get from being at downtown core or near Mainland street, modern furnishings, some of the best amenities, and walking distance to everything I want. Here is the gym for example:

To call that ew is comical, especially coming from suburbanite :)

I feel very comfortable being able to discuss specifics on most of the modern constructions in Vancouver. I follow Vancouver SSP forum on all new developments.

Firestorm

Yeah it's alive at night all right...

We value different things is all :)

I was looking at Telus Garden but I'm still considering the working holiday visa and living in London for a year or two before I'm too old to be eligible for the program so not sure if buying is a good idea.

Woodwards is one of the hottest properties outside of Coal Harbour and Yaletown. I did a lot of research to pick my place at Woodwards.

One of the issues with Yaletown and Coal Harbour units is you need to get into the 2 bedroom layouts to get the best views and open plans, and I can't afford those ($800k+). Before I bought at Woodwards, I looked over floor plans and views for the following buildings:

- Jameson House
- Capitol Residences (ugly interiors)
- Shaw Tower
- Residences @ Georgia
- One Wall Centre

I also don't think certain parts of Coal Harbour and Yaletown are great from a proximity standpoint. Most of Yaletown is pretty quiet actually, same with western Coal Harbour. I wanted a place where it didn't feel like a quiet neighbourhood at night.

Woodwards had a perfect mix of still being alive at night you get from being at downtown core or near Mainland street, modern furnishings, some of the best amenities, and walking distance to everything I want. Here is the gym for example:

Gym1.jpg

To call that ew is comical, especially coming from suburbanite :)
You didn't do much except pick a place you could reasonable afford. If you were better off you would choose somewhere else like any person with money. You're no One Harbor Green or Kingswood. You're ew Woodward. This is because you probably (1) don't know anyone who's rich or (2) never lived in better places. This is understandable coming from the uninitiated.

I don't know why you actually defend your building when, obviously, if you had more money you would be elsewhere and champion that instead. Why can't we call your place ew? It actually is from a status point of view (which you're actually trying to argue).

Tabris

You didn't do much except pick a place you could reasonable afford. If you were better off you would choose somewhere else like any person with money. You're no One Harbor Green or Kingswood. You're ew Woodward. This is because you probably (1) don't know anyone who's rich or (2) never lived in better places. This is understandable coming from the uninitiated.

I don't know why you actually defend your building when, obviously, if you had more money you would be elsewhere and champion that instead. Why can't we call your place ew? It actually is from a status point of view (which you're actually trying to argue).

You are trying to make a point but it's not landing.

Yes, if I could afford a 2 bedroom with view, I would live in Shangri-La, Vancouver House, or Shaw Tower (not the ones you listed). So you are using this to apply the same logic I am applying to Surrey, but it's oranges and apples here.

Why don't people want to live in Surrey over Vancouver? Because of things like this:

http://www.vancouversun.com/news/violent+crime+rise+surrey+rcmp+statistics+show/11489558/story.html

Surrey has half the police and public safety spending per capita that Vancouver has. This is why I am calling Surrey the slums. Having cheap apartment buildings going up doesn't increase that tax revenue per capita to increase that funding. Surrey is just building up a projects scenario. I know you can't see this as you're trying to justify living in Surrey to yourself, but Surrey is still gross. And not in the same way Woodwards is different from Shangri-la that you are trying to apply to discredit my point.

Top Bottom