• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

If you look closely in the background in the last photo you can see where Peach Trees is.

This is me erryday

iyvconq.gif

Tabris

Smiley already trying to weasel out of our potential roommate-ship. You are going to break Tabris's heart.

That's the stuff of dreams

You two just need to tell each other this:

Love me love me
Say that you love me
Fool me fool me
Go on and fool me
Love me love me
Pretend that you love me
Leave me leave me
Just say that you need me
Love me love me
Say that you love me
Leave me leave me
Just say that you need me
I can't care 'bout anything but you...

Love_Connection.jpg

Cheerilee

It's amazing how cool these guys are about being suspected, they're just (rightly) upset about the unauthorized police leak, and the journalism fail.

I mean, I'm the suspicious type, but if I was suspected, I'd probably feel upset about it and act like a hypocrite.

Good guys. I hope they enjoy their stay.

Tabris

How about you pay me the $1000 with Surrey value of your BJ ($20) and we avoid the the BJ all together? I think you can even get Tabris to pitch in since he intends to make this a reality haha

It's important you both perform oral sex as a happy sex life is a happy relationship :)

Smiley you gotta get your pony on for her (and not Cheerilee's creepy avatar).

Calabria

Banned
Halo Vancouver-GAF, I just moved here like 6-weeks ago.

everything is expensive. is everyone rich here? because I almost can't afford to buy any of the apartment.

Why no one likes Surrey? crimes?

how bout new westminster? it's kinda affordable there too. i like the riverfront, but aside from that, seems like nothing going on there.

my budget is about 350K-500K. i like downtown Vancouver, burrard, hornby, etc but of course, I can't afford anytthing with that kinda budget there

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.

everything is expensive. is everyone rich here? because I almost can't afford to buy any of the apartment.

how bout new westminster? it's kinda affordable there too. i like the riverfront, but aside from that, seems like nothing going on there.

my budget is about 350K-500K. i like downtown Vancouver, burrard, hornby, etc but of course, I can't afford anytthing with that kinda budget there

1) yes. no. housing is expensive as fuck.

2) yes. :lol

3.) better than surrey, worse than the rest of the lower mainland.

4.) 350k-500k there is NO way you'll live anywhere close to downtown, sorry. vancouver is one of the top3 most expensive cities to live in in the WORLD, so... you picked the wrong town for that :lol

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag

Well I think $500k can get you a one bedroom somewhere in downtown. I opted to go out instead haha

Calabria

Banned
1) yes. no. housing is expensive as fuck.

2) yes. :lol

3.) better than surrey, worse than the rest of the lower mainland.

4.) 350k-500k there is NO way you'll live anywhere close to downtown, sorry. vancouver is one of the top3 most expensive cities to live in in the WORLD, so... you picked the wrong town for that :lol

thanks, but now I'm sad :( ......because I like living in downtown Vancouver

how can anyone explain this? according to Maclean, Vancouver median income is 67K, but median house 1M+, who's buying these expensive homes?

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/money-economy/are-you-in-the-middle-class/

is the story about rich Asians (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) hoarding properties here true?

Smiley90

thanks, but now I'm sad :( ......because I like living in downtown Vancouver

how can anyone explain this? according to Maclean, Vancouver median income is 67K, but median house 1M+, who's buying these expensive homes?

http://www.macleans.ca/economy/money-economy/are-you-in-the-middle-class/

is the story about rich Asians (Chinese/Japanese/Korean) hoarding properties here true?

yessir, Vancouver is the prime asian money laundering airport in North America.

bring cash, buy house, done and done

also, see:

Surrey will be more popular due to increase in population + planned extensions of the EXPO line. Brentwood will be there sooner but Surrey and other areas will blow past due to low cost + transit increases.

It's why apartments being sold near Surrey Central have line ups at early AM and are all bought before noon. My GF's family bought a few already.

Tabris

If I pm you my number, will you text me?

lol why do you want to text me?

$400k to $500k is fine for a 1 bedroom or studio downtown. My place is only worth about $600k at 650sqft. The apartment market isn't as crazy as the detached home market. If you want a detached home, you have to look to Surrey.

Why is Surrey bad? It's essentially the slums of Vancouver. Not a real slums like parts of a city like Mexico City or Chicago as example, but it's the closest thing we have to slums. Lots of crime, lower income demographics, socio-economic complexities, etc (all in comparison to Vancouver). For example, per capita, Surrey spends half the amount on policing and safety services then Vancouver does even though it has significantly more crime.

Some people will come in here blaming it entirely on this. It's just a fraction of the affordability crisis. Vancouver is a very attractive city to live in, it has been rated most live-able city or within the top 3 for the last decade. It has brought a lot of money in, from both immigration from Asia, but also foreign investment for tax sheltering. The incomes didn't match because the money coming in from Asia is only fed back into the economy via consumption and not production. This was happening before the foreign investment situation, but has escalated a bit with that. This is starting to shift slowly as Silicon Valley companies are opening more and more offices here driving up incomes slightly but there's still a gap.

I've noticed that Vancouver companies also tend to get away with paying their employees less. I've worked for "foreign" companies the last 3 jobs because most Vancouver-based companies won't pay enough. There's too many students coming out of BCIT willing to take less the times I've applied for jobs. We just need to get more tech companies starting their business or opening up firms here to drive up competition. The issue is for all that's said about millennials leaving the city, it's not true as there's still a large swath of people willing to take less to live here. I say Vancouverites are the ones keeping income stagnated or lower then expected.

Calabria

Banned
yessir, Vancouver is the prime asian money laundering airport in North America.

bring cash, buy house, done and done

also, see:

damn, that's really bad, screwing the real Vancouver residents......no wonder so many homeless people in downtown. and yet the goverrnment didn't do anything to regulate foreign buyers

Calabria

Banned
........This is starting to shift slowly as Silicon Valley companies are opening more and more offices here driving up incomes slightly but there's still a gap.

I hope they come here quick......I noticed there's not a whole lot of IT jobs here. In Toronto, there are the big banks and big insurance companies. I was never worried about finding IT jobs there. But here.....not many financial companies have their IT operation here

Tabris

damn, that's really bad, screwing the real Vancouver residents......no wonder so many homeless people in downtown. and yet the goverrnment didn't do anything to regulate foreign buyers

It would be absolutely stupid for the government to regulate foreign buyers driving away that wealth coming.

If you think what oil price has done to Alberta, driving away foreign investment would do to BC the same, if not worse. An immediate dissolution of wealth and our cities economy would be in a large recession.

You need to take a strategic approach. The latest proposal from an economic think tank group (as of like yesterday) is to tax vacant homes at 1.5% the value of the home (so a $5 million property would cost the home owner $75,000 per year to keep vacant. This money would go into the home affordability fund. This would either increase revenue for the fund or force them to rent it out which creates more rental availability on the market bringing down rental prices a bit. You would most likely also cause a lot more property management companies to pop up increasing revenue.

Tabris

I hope they come here quick......I noticed there's not a whole lot of IT jobs here. In Toronto, there are the big banks and big insurance companies. I was never worried about finding IT jobs there. But here.....not many financial companies have their IT operation here

You're looking at the wrong market.

Vancouver is Canada's hub for tech startup firms and silicon valley extensions. Toronto is Canada's hub for financial companies. A lot of those tech startup firms don't advertise and instead work through referral programs too.

If you have talent and work experience, it's easy to find a job in the IT space - just gotta either start applying for the big boys or start networking.

Calabria

Banned
It would be absolutely stupid for the government to regulate foreign buyers driving away that wealth coming.

If you think what oil price has done to Alberta, driving away foreign investment would do to BC the same, if not worse. An immediate dissolution of wealth and our cities economy would be in a large recession.

You need to take a strategic approach. The latest proposal from an economic think tank group (as of like yesterday) is to tax vacant homes at 1.5% the value of the home (so a $5 million property would cost the home owner $75,000 per year to keep vacant. This money would go into the home affordability fund. This would either increase revenue for the fund or force them to rent it out which creates more rental availability on the market bringing down rental prices a bit. You would most likely also cause a lot more property management companies to pop up increasing revenue.

when is that gonna take into effect, considering bureaucracy in Canada, I wouldn't be surprised if that never takes affect or wait another 5 years.

Either way it won't help my case, I wanna buy something ASAP, because it doesn't make sense spending 1500+ a month on rent

NetMapel

Oh boy ! PM Harper is definitely not a favourite here in BC. This is the province where people potentially think voting green is a vote for weed... anyways, there's tons of IT and tech work here in Vancouver. Why aren't you knocking on the doors of local favourites such as HootSuite, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, and a load of visual effects studios that are in need of IT staff ?

Networking in tech is surprisingly easy. I'm not even in IT and software and I've already made some decently high-level connections just while attending school.

And seriously, I'm getting tired of this Surrey is a slum schtick. Tabris makes it sound like there's a gang war breaking out every other day with dozens dead in the street, junkies on every corner, and empty dilapidated houses every which way.

The city is quite suburban.

Calabria

Banned
Oh boy ! PM Harper is definitely not a favourite here in BC. This is the province where people potentially think voting green is a vote for weed... anyways, there's tons of IT and tech work here in Vancouver. Why aren't you knocking on the doors of local favourites such as HootSuite, Amazon, Microsoft, Facebook, and a load of visual effects studios that are in need of IT staff ?

I just don't know that they are here....and prolly they only picked the best candidates, I'm a bit older, can't compete with the young guns

Tabris

lol c'mon, u mean conservatives can't live in downtown Vancouver? ;P

I rather argue with Subpar for hours about his boring suburban life then debate with someone that thinks Harper is the best PM ever and actually thinks the current economic condition has anything to do with a Prime Minister that was elected a couple months ago.

As I said in the other thread: This is the same as those republicans who blamed Obama for the economy in 2008 in the US. I have a feeling I won't be able to get through to him the same way those republicans that believe that cannot be educated.

NetMapel

I just don't know that they are here....and prolly they only picked the best candidates, I'm a bit older, can't compete with the young guns

All the IT guys I know are between 30-50. Don't let age discourage you as long as you have the passion to learn and keep improving yourself. Tech is a fast pace changing industry. I'm learning Python now and it's already supplementing my skill set to do things I didn't know was possible before.

Calabria

Banned
Networking in tech is surprisingly easy. I'm not even in IT and software and I've already made some decently high-level connections just while attending school.

And seriously, I'm getting tired of this Surrey is a slum schtick. Tabris makes it sound like there's a gang war breaking out every other day with dozens dead in the street, junkies on every corner, and empty dilapidated houses every which way.

The city is quite suburban.

lmao, he did make it sound like Detroit

Smiley90

To quote my friend

"I grew up in Surrey, it's not that bad. Our house only got broken into three times and I had to pretend to be asleep while they went through my room. It's not that bad!"

NetMapel

To quote my friend

"I grew up in Surrey, it's not that bad. Our house only got broken into three times and I had to pretend to be asleep while they went through my room. It's not that bad!"
Must be Newton. That area is horrid but it does have that whirl wave pool I loved as a kid !!!

Calabria

Banned
Anyway I heard u guys are having a meet-up, I may show up there if you don't mind having a conservative in the group....

EDIT: I'm not like a far-right or anyting, more like a center-right kinda guy

lmao, he did make it sound like Detroit

Surrey gets a bad rap due to a series of gang turf/drug-related wars in the late 90s/early 00s, and recurring turf tiffs every couple of years since then (a spate of shootings in '14/'15 but not a lot of fatalities or the Surrey Six Murders in 2007). The city has a large proportion of its population composed of Indian immigrants (a big portion settled here in the 70s/80s/90s). Surrey is a lot more sprawling compared to Vancouver (Vancouver is very dense and they've essentially run out of land to develop, so they just tear existing shit down, or add on, or build over, go vertical, etc). Land development in Surrey is very horizontal, and as a result, you have suburban houses that go on and on, lots of wide roads.

Surrey's public transportation system is not as well-developed as Vancouver's, but it's due for some upgrades (extension of the Sky Train, development of LRT transport down the 104 corridor). City Hall is also looking at development of an entertainment district (I emailed the mayor about this a couple months back).

Are there crappy parts of Surrey? Yeah, there are, but even the worst parts of Surrey aren't as bad as the shittiest parts of Vancouver. Surrey's undergoing a lot of development/redevelopment, especially in the Whalley area (in the last decade, they've built the new RCMP headquarters, the new City Hall, the new Library, and the SFU Surrey Campus/City Center Tower), as well as the current construction of that giant hotel/plaza thing by the City Hall.

But you know what, if you wanna own a home, with a yard, your best option is probably Surrey. It's pretty much central to everything in the Lower Mainland. You're about twenty to thirty minutes max from everything save maybe North Van. Schools are decent. Lots of parks. It's quieter than Vancouver, not as busy. There's lots of potential though. Prices are going up, which sucks, but it isn't quite as shitty as Vancouver's pricing yet.

I live in the Whalley/City Center area. A lot has changed in the last decade.

I mean... it's the fucking suburbs. It's not a slum. It's a quiet city most of the time. Tabris just makes it sound like a shithole to live in because it's not Vancouver and it doesn't have the history, life, and provenance of Vancouver.

I mean, if you live in the shitty part of any city, it's a shitty place to live in. He relies on the logic that the suburbs around any major hub is a slum. Surrey's crime rate had been steadily declining from '05 to '14. It ticked way up last year, agreed. I don't see how one year's uptick makes a pattern that makes my city a slum.

Tabris

Anyway I heard u guys are having a meet-up, I may show up there if you don't mind having a conservative in the group....

EDIT: I'm not like a far-right or anyting, more like a center-right kinda guy

The issue I have with a lot of conservatives I've talked to is they never are willing to participate in a debate using facts and statistics. It's just gut feelings and what they understand.

Like if I asked what specific Harper policies allowed us to weather the 2008 economic recession, would you be able to do that? You attest us being able to do that to him, but what specifically? I can cite specific policies by him that have caused this current circumstance and specific policy attempts by him that would have made 2008 much worse. He tried to deregulate the banking industry which would have put us into the same boat as the US then.

Can you? Or you are just correlating "well he was PM during good times so he must be good"? It usually takes years for policies laid out by a government to have an effect on an economy unless you do a radical New Deal / Autobahn development policy like the US & Germany did during the great depression. How could Trudeau have done any policies in the last 2 months since he's been in office to have an effect on the economy.

Our success during 2008 was due to policies during previous Liberal governments.

Calabria

Banned
The issue I have with a lot of conservatives I've talked to is they never are willing to participate in a debate using facts and statistics. It's just gut feelings and what they understand.

Like if I asked what specific Harper policies allowed us to weather the 2008 economic recession, would you be able to do that? You attest us being able to do that to him, but what specifically? I can cite specific policies by him that have caused this current circumstance and specific policy attempts by him that would have made 2008 much worse. He tried to deregulate the banking industry which would have put us into the same boat as the US then.

Can you? Or you are just correlating "well he was PM during good times so he must be good"? It usually takes years for policies laid out by a government to have an effect on an economy unless you do a radical New Deal / Autobahn development policy like the US & Germany did during the great depression. How could Trudeau have done any policies in the last 2 months since he's been in office to have an effect on the economy.

Our success during 2008 was due to policies during previous Liberal governments.

actually I'd rather not participate in any political debate, because at the end, I know I won't change your opinion, and you won't change mine

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I'd say you should just go for it so long as nobody brings up politics.

I find 90% of political chat, especially between 2 opposing ideas, gets pretty circular.

Top Bottom