• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vancouver-Age |OT| 125 Years

Tabris

actually I'd rather not participate in any political debate, because at the end, I know I won't change your opinion, and you won't change mine

Actually I am pretty flexible on my political beliefs and can be changed by statistics and facts. I went from NDP to Liberals in the last election due to their adoption of some left spectrum platform items that made sense to me based on historical data. Such as infrastructure spending when interest rates are low, which is how other great countries have recovered from their economic recessions.

If there were statistics that trickle down economics worked, then I would adopt a fiscal conservative approach to taxation, but it doesn't work and has been proven multiple times not to work for the whole of society.

Yet none of the conservatives I've debated with (and there's not many in my social circles, you'll find Vancouver to be quite Liberal, so I usually have to debate with Americans online) are willing to tackle the statistics and data, and are just able to debate based on their feelings or what they've heard from their party.

I would love to see you prove me wrong and be willing to tackle data and statistics to enforce your political beliefs.

Calabria

Banned
Actually I am pretty flexible on my political beliefs and can be changed by statistics and facts. I went from NDP to Liberals in the last election due to their adoption of some left spectrum platform items that made sense to me based on historical data. Such as infrastructure spending when interest rates are low, which is how other great countries have recovered from their economic recessions.

If there were statistics that trickle down economics worked, then I would adopt a fiscal conservative approach to taxation, but it doesn't work and has been proven multiple times not to work for the whole of society.

Yet none of the conservatives I've debated with (and there's not many in my social circles, you'll find Vancouver to be quite Liberal, so I usually have to debate with Americans online) are willing to tackle the statistics and data, and are just able to debate based on their feelings or what they've heard from their party.

I would love to see you prove me wrong and be willing to tackle data and statistics to enforce your political beliefs.

nah I don't like to enforce my political or any other belief on anyone

Tabris

Vancouver is pretty age-ist in the IT space though. I don't think I've ever seen someone hired that was over 40ish except in the C-level suite in all of the companies I've worked for.

There were companies that had people over that age, but never saw them hired during my time there.

nah I don't like to enforce my political or any other belief on anyone

But you went into a thread about Trudeau and said he was horrible and how Harper was the best PM ever. You made a political statement. But you aren't willing to back up your statement with an intelligent debate using statistics and data? If not, why make the statement? I am willing to debate any statement I make.

Calabria

Banned
Vancouver is pretty age-ist in the IT space though. I don't think I've ever seen someone hired that was over 40ish except in the C-level suite in all of the companies I've worked for.

There were companies that had people over that age, but never saw them hired during my time there.

I'd normally agree with with you, but I think it's a worthwhile endeavor for him to at least go out and try to meet the right people. You never know when an opportunity might pop up and they could seek him out for it.

that looks good any upcoming one like that?

just to be clear, I'm currently employed with a company in Toronto, but since I just relocated here, that makes me expendable

Not any as of yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

If you're expendable, I'd suggest you start making contacts as soon as you can. You never know if someone will come through for you. It's good to get to know the people in your industry.

Calabria

Banned

But you went into a thread about Trudeau and said he was horrible and how Harper was the best PM ever. You made a political statement. But you aren't willing to back up your statement with an intelligent debate using statistics and data? If not, why make the statement? I am willing to debate any statement I make.

yeah I know, that's more like a drive-by, I'm still bitter he got voted and NYT like worshipped him or something

Tabris

yeah I know, that's more like a drive-by, I'm still bitter he got voted and NYT like worshipped him or something

Because he was the best person for the job and is doing a fantastic job so far.

005dc2064f3eaee532220ce1c71dceca.600x.jpg

Let's debate bro :)

It's fair if you don't want to debate, but your drive-by statements are super inflammatory, so you should be willing to back it up with intelligent debate.

Calabria

Banned
I'd normally agree with with you, but I think it's a worthwhile endeavor for him to at least go out and try to meet the right people. You never know when an opportunity might pop up and they could seek him out for it.

Not any as of yet, but I'll keep an eye out.

If you're expendable, I'd suggest you start making contacts as soon as you can. You never know if someone will come through for you. It's good to get to know the people in your industry.

yeah I want to network as soon as possible, because there's no way I want to go back to Toronto

Calabria

Banned
Because he was the best person for the job and is doing a fantastic job so far.

005dc2064f3eaee532220ce1c71dceca.600x.jpg

Let's debate bro :)

It's fair if you don't want to debate, but your drive-by statements are super inflammatory, so you should be willing to back it up with intelligent debate.

lol, no it's not super inflammatory....and no I don't want to debate ;P

MutFox

Banned
Work in IT here in Vancouver, I got my job through contacts.
Currently a System Analyst at some television network.
Though I always have my eye open for future endeavors.

Also, don't bring up politics here while looking for work, It's a pretty left leaning city.

Cheerilee

how can anyone explain this? according to Maclean, Vancouver median income is 67K, but median house 1M+, who's buying these expensive homes?

Most of the home ownership in Vancouver is from people who bought in before the current prices, and some of them are now getting pushed out by the high cost of ownership. In the 1990's people were shocked by how high the prices had gone, but now people would kill for 1990's pricing.

A lot of people rent. The current reality in Vancouver is that a ton of recent high school graduates are never going to be able to afford to buy a home here. The prices are just too high.

And if everyone sold their houses and tried to cash out, the prices would crash. The city is doing a lot of changing right now.

Tabris

By the way I plan to upgrade when I get back from Asia in 2017. So I'm hoping that the housing market slows down this year as they are currently predicting.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
By the way I plan to upgrade when I get back from Asia in 2017. So I'm hoping that the housing market slows down this year as they are currently predicting.

Some report says it'll continue to heat up, some say it'll cool down a bit. Personally, I think low CAD makes Vancouver an attractive market for foreigners to invest in. I think the market will continue to heat up this year, but hey I'm not a pro.

Firestorm

Also, don't bring up politics here while looking for work, It's a pretty left leaning city.
Yeep. If you're socially conservative you're gonna be super ostracised. If you're fiscally conservative, you'll probably find debate. If you say Harper was the best Prime Minister in history you're probably going to be laughed at. Don't bring it up.

For $500k you can probably find something for like 550 sq ft downtown... That's about it. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Brentwood / North Burnaby area and Surrey Central area are strong places to look outside Vancouver. Marine Drive Station area is also good in Vancouver. Transit in Vancouver is considerably better than Toronto so if you're by a Skytrain station you're basically good to go.

Tabris

Yeep. If you're socially conservative you're gonna be super ostracised. If you're fiscally conservative, you'll probably find debate. If you say Harper was the best Prime Minister in history you're probably going to be laughed at. Don't bring it up.

Yeah this is a good point, as if you say something like "I wish my taxes were lower" you may have someone want to to debate why taxes should be higher but generally people won't think much of it and most likely agree with you.

If you say the things like you did in that thread or you talk about being socially conservative, a lot of people here will think less of you. It will actually effect things like your workplace environment. Vancouver workplaces are very socially conscious.

It's quite different from out east.

Calabria

Banned
Work in IT here in Vancouver, I got my job through contacts.
Currently a System Analyst at some television network.
Though I always have my eye open for future endeavors.

For $500k you can probably find something for like 550 sq ft downtown... That's about it. As mentioned earlier in the thread, Brentwood / North Burnaby area and Surrey Central area are strong places to look outside Vancouver. Marine Drive Station area is also good in Vancouver. Transit in Vancouver is considerably better than Toronto so if you're by a Skytrain station you're basically good to go.

LOL, got it. I rarely, if ever, got into political discussion at work

Dazzler

Maybe I'm just being super sensitive here but my GF lives in Gastown near BC Place and I'm finding the area increasingly intimidating.

Walking to work in the mornings is an adventure

I think house prices will continue to go up, but apartments/condos will drop a bit. The supply seems to be increasing and people are coming around to the reality that they're not going to be able to afford a detached home. Some new developments are also targeting the higher end of the market.

2-bedrooms seem like a better option in terms of investment and resale, since 1-bedrooms are more profitable and not the best option for raising a family.

Firestorm

Maybe I'm just being super sensitive here but my GF lives in Gastown near BC Place and I'm finding the area increasingly intimidating.

Walking to work in the mornings is an adventure
Eh if you don't bother people they won't bother you. Been working in the area for two years now. Surrey Central was the same when I was going to school at SFU Surrey. I was never actually unsafe. The two areas just feel sketchy relative to other parts of the city.

I even cut through the park area to get back faster.

Dazzler

Eh if you don't bother people they won't bother you. Been working in the area for two years now. Surrey Central was the same when I was going to school at SFU Surrey. I was never actually unsafe. The two areas just feel sketchy relative to other parts of the city.

I even cut through the park area to get back faster.

I'm not trying to bother people, it's the aggressive panhandling and zombified junkies staggering around the place that I'm finding intimidating

It's not unreasonable to not want to be asked for money and have to dodge junkies on the way to work in the morning I don't think

Tabris

I'm not trying to bother people, it's the aggressive panhandling and zombified junkies staggering around the place that I'm finding intimidating

It's not unreasonable to not want to be asked for money and have to dodge junkies on the way to work in the morning I don't think

You are definitely being too sensitive. They are not harmful. Majority of the crime in the area is drug related (dealer on user, user on user) or petty crime (mainly car break-ins)

If you want to live in a city that rounds up their homeless and puts them into a segmented ghetto, you'll want to look towards some of the US cities. Here they are concentrated, but it's not a segmented situation. All walks of socio-economic status co-exist generally peacefully here and it's one of the things that makes us better.

Stop being "poor people are gross" ;p

Only gross poor people are from Surrey :) I mean a bit of joking but one of the big issues with Surrey is due to the socio-economic situation, sub-urban culture, poor police funding, and plus drug culture all mixing. It leads to a lot of violent crimes. I feel comfortable walking around at 1am in DTES as all that may happen is someone asking aggressively for money. While walking around areas in Surrey at night I'm worried about running into the wrong people and getting stabbed. While here the violent crime tends to be contained among drug users and/or dealers.

Most of the homeless in DTES generally are just people with mental conditions that cannot function in society normally by keeping a job or need drugs to deal with their mental health issues. If riverview was open (it's being re-opened) and funded properly (it's not being funded properly), then you would see a lot less. You should have some sympathy for them.

It's not a case like a punk kid in Surrey wanting to stab you for your phone. Your personal safety isn't at risk.

Calabria

Banned
one thing that bothers me the most is the smell. sorry..... I know they don't bother me or anything like that, and I do feel sorry for the situation they are in, but I can't stand anything that smells bad, it really just got me. For example if they climb on to the bus, they stink up the whole bus, or if they come in to the coffee shop and just hang out there, then the whole room smells, I just have to pack and leave.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
one thing that bothers me the most is the smell. sorry..... I know they don't bother me or anything like that, and I do feel sorry for the situation they are in, but I can't stand anything that smells bad, it really just got me. For example if they climb on to the bus, they stink up the whole bus, or if they come in to the coffee shop and just hang out there, then the whole room smells, I just have to pack and leave.

"ewww poor people they should all just like... go away... HARPER DO SOMETHING, EUTHANIZE THEM"

?

:p

Tabris

Funny thing is Harper funded social mental health services properly, you wouldn't have to deal with homeless people on your bus as much. But I assume you would prefer if they just went to the back of it, right? :p

EDIT - We're being a bit harsh, but this should be a lesson for what may happen if you say same kind of thing in your workplace or among friends you make in Vancouver.

Calabria

Banned
"ewww poor people they should all just like... go away... HARPER DO SOMETHING, EUTHANIZE THEM"

?

:p

no, not like that. a couple of times I actually invited them to the pizza joints and paid their meals, but they were rather clean, and looked really hungry

but srsly I can't stand body odor, or even perfume, I have allergic and sensitive nose. If I hang out with people with perfume, I start sneezing. also pets, if dogs or cats not clean, I start sneezing

Firestorm

Speaking of smell, wet bus smell is the fuckin' worst.

You are definitely being too sensitive. They are not harmful. Majority of the crime in the area is drug related (dealer on user, user on user) or petty crime (mainly car break-ins)

If you want to live in a city that rounds up their homeless and puts them into a segmented ghetto, you'll want to look towards some of the US cities. Here they are concentrated, but it's not a segmented situation. All walks of socio-economic status co-exist generally peacefully here and it's one of the things that makes us better.

Stop being "poor people are gross" ;p

Only gross poor people are from Surrey :) I mean a bit of joking but one of the big issues with Surrey is due to the socio-economic situation, sub-urban culture, poor police funding, and plus drug culture all mixing. It leads to a lot of violent crimes. I feel comfortable walking around at 1am in DTES as all that may happen is someone asking aggressively for money. While walking around areas in Surrey at night I'm worried about running into the wrong people and getting stabbed. While here the violent crime tends to be contained among drug users and/or dealers.

Most of the homeless in DTES generally are just people with mental conditions that cannot function in society normally by keeping a job or need drugs to deal with their mental health issues. If riverview was open (it's being re-opened) and funded properly (it's not being funded properly), then you would see a lot less. You should have some sympathy for them.

It's not a case like a punk kid in Surrey wanting to stab you for your phone. Your personal safety isn't at risk.
You're both being the same right now (well, Tabris is being inflammatory as usual but other than that). Like I said, there is a feeling of unsafeness in both areas. In both areas, you're basically fine if you mind your own business but it's hard to get over that feeling of unease. It's fine to not like that feeling and that feeling sucks but neither Gastown nor Surrey Central are actually unsafe.

Tabris

but they were rather clean, and looked really hungry

No one will be starving in DTES (unless they forget to eat due to their trip they are on). Vancouver Harbour Light on E Cordova has a minimum of 1 meal per day, often 2 meals per day. You have to stand in a line for an hour or two. Then you have various other shelters or organizations with food services around downtown. Not ideal nutrition intake but no one is starving to death.

What they need money for is heroin, crack, or meth. That's what takes the majority of their welfare cheque, if not all of it. A heroin addiction is expensive. Most petty crimes are to deal with the gap between their welfare cheque and heroin addiction cost.

That's why I am a fan of the concept of managing users drug use. Methadone doesn't work the same. We should distribute heroin to people who qualify with administration by professionals in a safe injection site (to ensure they don't hoard to sell) and combine that with mental health evaluation, along with recovery and rehab addiction tactics for those that quality based on that mental health evaluation. This will also stifle the drug trade in Vancouver which reduces other crime situations.

You're both being the same right now (well, Tabris is being inflammatory as usual but other than that). Like I said, there is a feeling of unsafeness in both areas. In both areas, you're basically fine if you mind your own business but it's hard to get over that feeling of unease. It's fine to not like that feeling and that feeling sucks but neither Gastown nor Surrey Central are actually unsafe.

It's different though statistically. Youth violent crime stats are quite high in Surrey in comparison to most other areas.

Calabria

Banned
No one will be starving in DTES (unless they forget to eat due to the trip). Vancouver Harbour Light on E Cordova has a minimum of 1 meal per day, often 2 meals per day. You have to stand in a line for an hour or two. Then you have various other shelters or organizations with food services around downtown. Not ideal nutrition intake but no one is starving to death.

What they need money for is heroin or meth. That's what takes the majority of their welfare cheque, if not all of it. A heroin addiction is expensive. Most petty crimes are to deal with the gap between their welfare cheque and heroin addiction cost.

That's why I am a fan of the concept of managing users drug use. Methadone doesn't work the same. We should distribute heroin to people who qualify with administration by professionals in a safe injection site (to ensure they don't hoard to sell) and combine that with mental health evaluation, along with recovery and rehab addiction tactics for those that quality based on that mental health evaluation.

no, but the ones I invited were along Granville street....so many of them...

I didn't know there are free meals in DTES....I haven't venture out that far yet

Tabris

no, but the ones I invited were along Granville street....so many of them...

I didn't know there are free meals in DTES....I haven't venture out that far yet

It's like 8 to 10 blocks from Granville to E Cordova.

But you buying them pizza isn't what they really need, of course they won't turn you down (I wouldn't turn down free pizza personally), but what they really need is to cover the gap between welfare and heroin (or whichever drug choice) addiction cost.

Calabria

Banned
It's like 8 to 10 blocks from Granville to E Cordova.

But you buying them pizza isn't what they really need, of course they won't turn you down, but what they really need is to cover the gap between welfare and heroin addiction cost.

then they won't get my money for that, I rarely gave money, most of the time i buy them food

Dazzler

I kinda thought I was being overly-sensitive to be honest.

Those people are way less fortunate than me and have never really posed a threat to me so I'll just leave 'em to it

Tabris

then they won't get my money for that, I rarely gave money, most of the time i buy them food

Why? A good number are using drugs to be able to deal with mental health issues that aren't being addressed by government services due to funding cuts to cover tax cuts conservatives voters wanted.

They need drugs to survive and function. How is that different from food?

Put yourself in their situation. You have a severe case of schizophrenia. You cannot control it via "willpower". Heroin use allows you to manage it as much as possible. You don't have any services provided for you to be in a managed home where they can deal with schizophrenia via proper mental health drugs and managed care.

EDIT - And for the "get a job" - how would you do this? What company wants to employ someone that isn't sure what's real or not and has episodes that need to be managed, or cannot function as you are on heroin to subdue the episodes.

Firestorm

It's different though statistically. Youth violent crime stats are quite high in Surrey in comparison to most other areas.
You're not going to be randomly targeted in most cases regardless of where you are. Targeted crime is an issue when there's gang-related violence.

I mean shit, the house I was at when my house was being re-built a few years ago had a drive-by shooting done on it. After I looked it up, I found out we were renting in a house there had been a gang-related sword murder in front of.

You're not gonna get hit randomly. You usually don't hear about "Hey I was walking to school and got shotstabbed randomly" whether it's Gastown or Surrey Central. Stop fear-mongering.

Tabris

You're not gonna get hit randomly. You usually don't hear about "Hey I was walking to school and got shotstabbed randomly" whether it's Gastown or Surrey Central. Stop fear-mongering.

I don't think I'm going to get hit by a drive by, that's definitely fear-mongering.

But there definitely is an issue with youth violent crime. It's more common then in Vancouver that if you are in the wrong neighbourhood at night, you may have a knife pulled on you for your phone. This is also an issue in areas like New West, and Metrotown, but worse in Surrey. This is a statistical fact.

While I feel safe walking around DTES at night. A lot of that may have to do with the amount of people always present, but there is a statistical difference. There may be a decent amount of crime in DTES but it tends to be focused on drug-related and dealer on user or user on user, and rarely on a "tourist". We had a police officer come over to a startup I was working for that had a trendy office closer to DTES due to people's unfounded fears like Dazzler is talking about - to discuss the statistics and where the crime stats really come from there.

Hey fellas, about time I get the internets for my place. Van. GAF experts here please recommend (and sell ) me a reliable and affordable internet provider, what do we got here? Telus and Shaw?

I don't want to pay anything more than say 40-45/month, not looking for super fast, fiber optic internet service either, who should I go with? And I do want some good half price deals for the first 3-6 months. Ok Go!...

You're not going to be randomly targeted in most cases regardless of where you are. Targeted crime is an issue when there's gang-related violence.

I mean shit, the house I was at when my house was being re-built a few years ago had a drive-by shooting done on it. After I looked it up, I found out we were renting in a house there had been a gang-related sword murder in front of.

I can totally back this statement up by saying three years ago, the quiet alley, in Surrey I used to walk through to get to my bus stop every morning, a gang member was shot and killed.. right past where I walk through twice daily. I continued to walk through there for the past two years, and guess what?! Not even a peep, the biggest thing I had to fear was not getting caught checking out MILFS taking their kids to school near my bus stop every morning. So yeah! Tabris is full of it... There's a higher probability of getting pepper sprayed or yelled at by a drunken, crackhead at Hastings and Carrall in Gastown ( A short block from Tabri's fancy Condo) than you being mugged or robbed in Surrey.

MutFox

Banned
If your building has Novus, go for that.
If not, Shaw has pretty good internet for speed and price last time I checked.

Smiley90

Stop shitting on my team. Start shitting on my finger.
I use lightspeed

They use shaw cable but are much, MUCH cheaper. and have unlimited.

i agree that IF you can, get Novus.

Calabria

Banned
sooooo many homeless, beggars in this city. I went on a walk to take pictures at dusk, and saw
1. beggars on most street corner I passed
2. beggars on every 7-11 stores I passed
3. one freaky guy asked me for $300 so he could buy a gun when I was walking along Gastown taking pictures, I said 'WTF.....then walked really really fast
4. a hooker asked if I was interested in Gastown
5. one mental guy throwing tantrum in front of Nordstrom, so 3 cops on horses had to tame him, secured him with strapped-jackets, put him in police-van

...and that's just one afternoon......srsly Vancouver?!?!? take care your people yo!!! there's so many social issues in this supposedly world-class city ....

Tabris

...and that's just one afternoon......srsly Vancouver?!?!? take care your people yo!!! there's so many social issues in this supposedly world-class city ....

Stop voting for conservative governments or pushing political platform items that cut funding for mental health institutions for lower tax rates on higher income earners, and then we can take care of our homeless.

Cause and effect. People's selfishness around income tax rates is what leads to this.

Also Vancouver's homelessness situation is essentially Canada's homelessness since a lot of homeless migrate to Vancouver in Canada due to weather and culture.

MutFox

Banned
Stop voting for conservative governments or pushing political platform items that cut funding for mental health institutions for lower tax rates on higher income earners, and then we can take care of our homeless.

Cause and effect. People's selfishness around income tax rates is what leads to this.

That area around gastown is messed though,
glad I don't work in that area anymore.

It's worse than surrey in many ways.

Tabris

That area around gastown is messed though,
glad I don't work in that area anymore.

Really hope it gets cleaned up sooner than later.

They are re-opening part of Riverview (the mental health hospital) after it was shut down, but they aren't funding it enough to deal with the situation.

People focus on the housing affordability crisis but the real crisis is mental health management. A lot of these people need to live in a mental health hospital with continuous managed care.

I find it really funny people will say things about not addressing this issue but then not want to fund it. Calabria, you are directly looking at the result of fiscal conservative philosophies in government. This is caused by people with your political beliefs.

MutFox

Banned
Riverview is getting re-opened?
That's good news.

Still remember my family doctor went to work there, then it got closed.

Also, stop harrassing Calabria, yes he's a conservative, but stop, it just drives people away from leaning left the way you're doing it.

Calabria

Banned

nah I think this is both parties problems, it's not like social issues just arose during Harper era, the problems started long way before

Tabris

nah I think this is both parties problems, it's not like social issues just arose during Harper era, the problems started long way before

Yup, it has to do with both parties. But it's accommodating to the same voter base philosophy, which is just more universally present in the conservative voting base and more scattered in the NDP and Liberal voting base.

Voters who are unwilling to pay for this via their income tax. How else are they supposed to fund it? And without being able to fund it, how are they able to "take care your people yo!!!"

We need to be taxed more to address this issue (especially on the higher brackets). We need to fund several large mental health institutions and it should be the Federal government that assists with this because this is not just a Vancouver problem, but a Canadian problem as a lot of these homeless migrate to Vancouver from all over Canada.

So my point still stands, this is the cause and effect of fiscal conservative political beliefs (and there's people with fiscal conservative beliefs in the Liberal and NDP voting base, just not as universal)

Top Bottom