• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Forbiden

Does anyone know how to make the
spider Argus robot in 2-3 stand up? I've been trying to get the "Failure breeds success trophy" but can't manage to make the spider one go into biped mode

Forbiden said:
Does anyone know how to make the
spider Argus robot in 2-3 stand up? I've been trying to get the "Failure breeds success trophy" but can't manage to make the spider one go into biped mode
Fail the second QTE. (The corkscrew attack.)

Vanquish is a shooter with a combat and scoring system that is a valid test of player skill. Much like a CAVE shoot em up, it is meant to be replayed for score and development of player skill. Also like a CAVE shoot em up, most gamers are unable or unwilling to comprehend or appreciate the depth and finely tuned skill based nature of the scoring system and game content, and will whine ceaselessly about not having unlockables to satisfy their OCD or a god mode difficulty that throws any semblance of skill or scoring system out the window.

There, I described the game far better than the idiotic 'professional games journalists' who can only compare a shooter to Gears of War or whine about how the game is too hard while failing to understand, describe, or appreciate its mechanics.

Adam J.

I beat it last night on Normal and I didn't really have too many problems until the last couple of bosses, which weren't that bad. Granted I trained pretty hard on the Challenge demo, so I learned the basics before the game was released.

the only regular enemy that I dont have a strategy against is the morphing scorpion guy. I usually just melee'd those, ran away to recharge then repeated until they were toast.

I'm going to take a look at the challenge modes later tonight.

It's an amazing game, and some of the most fun I've had shooting stuff since Resident Evil 4. I usually am not one to beg for sequels, but this is one game that I want more and more of. Chances of that happening are probably slim though, since Mikami is starting his own company.

AcciDante

Just beat it on normal in just under 5 hours. Didn't have much trouble except for some annoying instant death attacks. I liked it a lot overall, but not as much as Bayonetta :D

Finished this last night at 5:50. It was utterly fan-bloody-tastic!

I really wish the game had more than two of those
liquid enemies with the blade arms.
They looked insanely awesome! The animation was so impressive!

Such a good game! At the moment I’d give it a solid 9.5/10. Oh yeah, the credits at the end were awesome! Now excuse me while I go play this again. :D

Out of almost 10,000 people that have beaten Act 1: Mission 3 - GIANT, I'm ranked at number 4. I think I'll shoot to end up in the top 10 overall. That is, for both missions and challenges. Right now I'm just going through to get all the Pangloss statues, though. Reminds me of the Kerotans in Metal Gear Solid 3. (Not really playing for score yet.) :D

Also, you've gotta love how every up-skirt camera angle they have of Elena ends up getting closer and closer to her buttocks as you progress through the main game. :lol

Amir0x

Banned
Haha. Yeah. I think this game is just a test for audiences. The sequel will probably be the real thing.

sequel LOL

the game is gonna sell like balls, no sequel will ever come. face it now or be confined to an eternity of hell waiting for the nothingness

Amir0x said:
sequel LOL

the game is gonna sell like balls, no sequel will ever come. face it now or be confined to an eternity of hell waiting for the nothingness
Gonna be so fucking pissed if one isn't made before I die. I can play this game to death, though.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
dunno if its cuz im playing on hard but, man that suit heats up fuckin fast:lol

Im on the last boss now i think...
double dragon bots?
, damn hard

Only boss that kept me on my toes was UNKNOWN. Seeing that boss in the Sam Gideon trailer, I initially thought it was going to be some flying android. Very different encounter, obviously. :lol

Funniest thing about one of the encounters -- when you wipe that room with the dancing robots out, you see a bunch of parts lying around. I was just moving them around and suddenly thought to myself "Huh... why are all of these here?", then I look up and see that little bastard fall out. "What the fuck." :lol

Only boss that kept me on my toes was UNKNOWN. Seeing that boss in the Sam Gideon trailer, I initially thought it was going to be some flying android. Very different encounter, obviously. :lol

It felt like Ouroboros in some ways, only fun.

I never had trouble with that boss; though I did love Unknown 2's intro.

I had blown up the dancing robots with a rocket launcher, so when I saw robot parts falling to the ground I thought it was debris from the explosion at first.

But then they kept falling, it actually kinda startled me. :lol

Edit: Dammit, you beat me with an edit.

Only boss that kept me on my toes was UNKNOWN. Seeing that boss in the Sam Gideon trailer, I initially thought it was going to be some flying android. Very different encounter, obviously.

My first time with UNKNOWN was brutal and the death sequence really reminded me of Resident Evil death animations. Great shit. I want to fail on different enemy types now, just to see the variable animations.

My system for most of the "bosses" was to plug them from a distance, then fill 'em with rockets. Worked out great. Especially with UNKNOWN, as he's completely defenseless after you
knock his armor off
and rockets do pretty massive damage when maxed. I didn't use boost much on bosses unless they were
humanoid
or they contained some type of gimmick for defeat.

How is the replay value besides replaying levels? Any costumes or cheats that can be unlocked? Does it support custom soundtracks for the PS3 version like bayonetta?

mysticwhip said:
How is the replay value besides replaying levels? Any costumes or cheats that can be unlocked? Does it support custom soundtracks for the PS3 version like bayonetta?

on the box it says custom soundtracks, but I haven't tried it myself. don't know why they would lie, though.

mysticwhip said:
No and no. (Custom soundtrack don't work. They may need to patch it in.) Despite that, other than Bayonetta, I will be playing this game for the rest of my life.

FrostuTheNinja said:
My first time with UNKNOWN was brutal and the death sequence really reminded me of Resident Evil death animations. Great shit. I want to fail on different enemy types now, just to see the variable animations.
What happens?

ummo

Banned
robor said:
Will you look at that, he does mention it. Regardless, I still find his analysis pathological. Numbers mean nothing to me Shurs, I only read reviews from two sites (one of which considered Vanquish a rent-worthy game). My curiosity peaked by those who mentioned it before the review was taken down. So when it was re-posted back on the site, I wanted to see what all the fuss was about.

Anyways, did anyone else notice Shinji Mikami's cameo in the game? :lol

found!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qbXZBy6kaEk
:lol

mysticwhip said:
Damn, I thought this game would be filled with unlockables, shit & the custom soundtracks don't work? WTF.

Eh...having very little unlockables is definitely disappointing. But the main game is like RE4 in terms of addiction.

Up to Act 3 Mission 5.

The collapsing bridge section was awesome.

It's weird. I'm having fun and it's a good game. But the experience is so monotone. Every level looks the same, there's only slight enemy variation and no real change in strategy needed. I can see why people are nuts for this game, and I can see why there are opinions and reviews that just think it's a "good" experience.

I'm not really dying to continue like I was earlier.

I’ve only seen like 1 person on my friends list playing this. I want more people playing it! : (

If you have the 360 version....add me: Tricky I Shadow. Be sure to tell me who you are too!

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
DAAAANMMM Mrs Clinton
:lol

yea, just beat the Game of the Year.

-Hard mode
-9 hours 24 minutes
-Score = 114640
-cover usage = 15%
-163 Deaths WOW, could'nt tell :lol
-18 statues found (how many is there???)
-77 Developers destroyed

~Devil Trigger~ said:
yea, just beat the Game of the Year.

-Hard mode
-9 hours 24 minutes
-Score = 114640
-cover usage = 15%
-163 Deaths WOW, could'nt tell :lol
-18 statues found (how many is there???)
-77 Developers destroyed

Had no idea these existed until around Act 2 or 3.

I nabbed 78 developers but missed two of those damned ships.

practice02 said:
Isn't not derailing the thread a a rule?
normal 4 hours

Fimbulvetr said:
Yes it is; so why are you derailing?

Oh shit...

derail.jpg

robor

I totally felt the FPS mode in the game was underused. I felt they could of made the story more believable if they used it more to convey the events that take place in the game. I'm tired of the "cinematic" trends in games.

Tain

Like, the mode where you go into first person and listen to conversations?

You're tired of the cinematic trend in games, but you want more cutscenes? boo

leng jai

Is it just me or does this game have a lot of similarities with Transformers? The color palette is virtually the same and some of the enemies look similar too. Gunplay is also similar to extent and the sliding reminds me of the transforming as well.

Loving the theatrics of this game, and the arcade style is very old school.

Amir0x

Banned
Gonna be so fucking pissed if one isn't made before I die. I can play this game to death, though.

I'm honestly not trying to be needlessly pessimistic or anything but I've literally seen next to no interest in this game from any corner. And the fact that it did get some mixed reviews in an already limited exposure title is not going to help things.

No way they're gonna invest in another big game like Vanquish when it only sold sub 50,000 in the USA. Especially for a game claiming to bridge the divide between Western and Japanese tastes

Top Bottom