• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

robor

Tain said:
Like, the mode where you go into first person and listen to conversations?

You're tired of the cinematic trend in games, but you want more cutscenes? boo

You interact with the environment while in FPS, it doesn't disrupt the player projecting himself/herself into the game world. It's more convincing, I would hardly say they're cut scenes in the traditional sense.

robor said:
I totally felt the FPS mode in the game was underused. I felt they could of made the story more believable if they used it more to convey the events that take place in the game. I'm tired of the "cinematic" trends in games.

Are you referencing the cutscenes or the integrated cinematic moments during gameplay?

For me, the FPS segments were there as a breather, as the rest of the game is pretty relentless. It's reminded me of Zatoichi films. One moment he's destroying hordes of bad guys, next he's horribly massaging someone with his elbows. I felt like the breaks were there to be exactly that. A break from the slaughter.

robor said:
By integrated cinematic moments during gameplay do you mean QTEs?

Not really. I'm referencing moments where a scripted event such as a vehicle slamming in front of you only to have it leap over or if you went just a pinch further, crushing you. Or
Vertigo with the bridge collapsing.

Side note:

I don't mind QTE's in games, as I cut my teeth on Dragon's Lair/Cobra Command/Cliffhanger as a youngster. Back when some games were essentially, giant quick time events.

Edit:

This game, much like Resident Evil 4, does QTEs right.

Bingo.

robor

FrostuTheNinja said:
Not really. I'm referencing moments where a scripted event such as a vehicle slamming in front of you only to have it leap over or if you went just a pinch further, crushing you. Or
Vertigo with the bridge collapsing.

Ah ok, then I'm referring to the cutscenes.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:
I'm honestly not trying to be needlessly pessimistic or anything but I've literally seen next to no interest in this game from any corner.

Are you saying we have bad taste in games? ;p

Amir0x

Banned
QTE's blow, no game ever does it right. Sorry Vanquish, sorry RE4. Shit needs to die. Only flaw of these games.

Vilix said:
Are you saying we have bad taste in games? ;p

Nothing to do with taste at all (anyone who likes this game has good taste), just that this meager thread is not an indication of sales (and it's not like this thread is booming anyhow)

just being realistic about the game's prospects. it's not even gonna do Bayonetta numbers imo

leng jai

Amir0x said:
QTE's blow, no game ever does it right. Sorry Vanquish, sorry RE4. Shit needs to die. Only flaw of these games.

Nothing to do with taste at all (anyone who likes this game has good taste), just that this meager thread is not an indication of sales (and it's not like this thread is booming anyhow)

just being realistic about the game's prospects. it's not even gonna do Bayonetta numbers imo

Do you think the whole debacle about game length will significantly affect sales?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Amir0x said:

I know, chief. I was just kidding with you. You probably knew that though. :)

Yeah, it stinks. Games like this and Bayonetta are some of the last in a dying breed. For me, they bring back nastalgic moments of the 8 and 16 bit era when 2D Japanese games ruled. Contra, Cybernator, The Ninja Warriors, Axelay, etc... And the games that took after them. They were aplenty back then. Now, every fucking game is either a FPS, Madden, or some music sim (Guitar Hero) bullshit.

Vilix said:
Games like this and Bayonetta are some of the last in a dying breed. For me, they bring back nastalgic moments of the 8 and 16 bit era when 2D Japanese games ruled. Contra, Cybernator, The Ninja Warriors, Axelay, etc...

Mmmmm, action games.

FrostuTheNinja said:

RE4 where missing the QTE essentially killed you? They may as well have put up a screen that said "Live or Die?" and you hit a button prompt to survive. QTE's are mostly crap but I'll put up with them if I have to.

Warm Machine said:
RE4 where missing the QTE essentially killed you? They may as well have put up a screen that said "Live or Die?" and you hit a button prompt to survive. QTE's are mostly crap but I'll put up with them if I have to.

Yup.

For me, it was a gameplay system that should have been reintroduced sooner in the 3D era than it ultimately was. I'll always dig 'em. Unless the window is too small, then you can go ahead and
fuck them with a knife.

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
badcrumble said:
ffffffuck this game is SO GOOD.

It really is. It's sad to see it getting such mixed reviews.

In Chapter 4 now. Loving the flora.

robor said:
I totally felt the FPS mode in the game was underused. I felt they could of made the story more believable if they used it more to convey the events that take place in the game. I'm tired of the "cinematic" trends in games.
but it the fp "modes" don't do anything that they can't do in tp they kind took me out of the flow.

Astery

leng jai said:
Do you think the whole debacle about game length will significantly affect sales?
YES. All people who i know are backing off now just cause of reviews on the length. I don't give a shit about that and bought it on day 1 tho.:D The game is god awesome, I am not regretting it one bit. Just sad for no sequel from the looks of it.

Astery said:
YES. All people who i know are backing off now just cause of reviews on the length. I don't give a shit about that and bought it on day 1 tho.:D The game is god awesome, I am not regretting it one bit. Just sad for no sequel from the looks of it.

Wow, this post just made me realize how much in common this game has with Mirror's Edge.

It also helps that I'm loving this game a lot too....while knowing there's not much chances of this getting a sequel due to poor sales from a new ip and game length being an issue with consumers.

bubnbob

Banned
adversesolutions said:
How far have people gotten in the challenges?

Still on campaign, but want to know what I have to look forward to.

I did Challenge 1. It's 5 waves, and 6 levels (6th unlocks after finishing the 5th level). If you die at the very end, you start all over from wave 1. Weapons don't upgrade. But there's plenty littered around the area, to use at the right time. But weapons don't respawn (afaik).

Soldiers occasionally respawn, but I think they're limited. I think it's on Hard difficulty, but it feels like Normal.

Soooo have fun.

I was enjoying the shit out of this game until I got home tonight to find my apartment had been burglarized and among the things stolen was my 360 with Vanquish in it. Those fucking sons of bitches.

digita1alchemy said:
I was enjoying the shit out of this game until I got home tonight to find my apartment had been burglarized and among the things stolen was my 360 with Vanquish in it. Those fucking sons of bitches.

It's gods way of telling you to buy a PS3. :D

thetrin

Hail, peons, for I have come as ambassador from the great and bountiful Blueberry Butt Explosion
digita1alchemy said:

God damn, that sucks, man. :(

hamchan

Discotheque said:
Wow, this post just made me realize how much in common this game has with Mirror's Edge.

It also helps that I'm loving this game a lot too....while knowing there's not much chances of this getting a sequel due to poor sales from a new ip and game length being an issue with consumers.

Can't wait for it to go bomba price like Mirror's Edge.

Animator

bubnbob said:
4 in each level (sans 1-1), making about 112 or so

the fuck?

if it ever comes to that I am printing a gamefaq's statue location guide and doing it with it. It is damn near impossible to find all of them. I found one by accident in one of the first act missions when I zoomed in with the sniper rifle to kill an enemy and the statue was way back in the background where you cant even walk to. So unless you were looking in that direction with a sniper scope there is no way to find it especially with all the chaous going around you.

Amir0x said:
I'm honestly not trying to be needlessly pessimistic or anything but I've literally seen next to no interest in this game from any corner. And the fact that it did get some mixed reviews in an already limited exposure title is not going to help things.

No way they're gonna invest in another big game like Vanquish when it only sold sub 50,000 in the USA. Especially for a game claiming to bridge the divide between Western and Japanese tastes
I'm on vacation over in Tokyo where vanquish just came out yesterday and despite a Famitsu cover and some very aggressive advertizing in every major retailer, it really looks like noone cares here either. :-/

Finaika

Jack Random said:
I'm on vacation over in Tokyo where vanquish just came out yesterday and despite a Famitsu cover and some very aggressive advertizing in every major retailer, it really looks like noone cares here either. :-/
I care.

Animator said:
the fuck?

if it ever comes to that I am printing a gamefaq's statue location guide and doing it with it. It is damn near impossible to find all of them. I found one by accident in one of the first act missions when I zoomed in with the sniper rifle to kill an enemy and the statue was way back in the background where you cant even walk to. So unless you were looking in that direction with a sniper scope there is no way to find it especially with all the chaous going around you.

Well it's official then, they wanted to sell some strategy guides.

Pretty weak.

Tricky I Shadow said:
Yeah, you know a game is gonna sell really horribly when even the official thread on GAF is hardly getting any attention. I mean what the hell?

Every waking minute I have outside of work is spent playing Vanquish, so that may be part of it.

robor

practice02 said:
but it the fp "modes" don't do anything that they can't do in tp they kind took me out of the flow.

I'll take that transition over any of the cut scenes displayed in this game. I actually wonder about having a Vanquish game in first person all together, obviously a major revision would have to take place (enemies, weapons, object placement etc) but seeing something like Mirror's Egde on roids would be kick ass imo. Loved the HUD in fp mode too, it reminded me of the Prime series.

Top Bottom