• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

LiK

i didn't even notice tearing in the 360 version at all and i'm pretty sensitive to that stuff usually. my PS3 version should arrive soon so lookin' forward to comparing them.

the 360 tearing is mostly in the challenges from what I could tell, and the training area

the game itself has some minor tearing, but it's pretty tough to see and be bothered with. i hate tearing and the 360 version didn't bother me at all

LiK

quinntendopower said:
the 360 tearing is mostly in the challenges from what I could tell, and the training area

the game itself has some minor tearing, but it's pretty tough to see and be bothered with. i hate tearing and the 360 version didn't bother me at all
Oh didn't play the challenge stuff yet.

Played through the game first on casual, then normal.

I don't understand how a melee attack immediately exhausts your energy, but sliding up to an enemy then kicking them in the face into a backflip doesn't? Although it does look totally sweet.

Scoring system seems to be highly speed based. The amount of points you get for killing enemies is nothing compared to the huge time bonuses you can rack up.

rvy

Banned
mjemirzian said:
I don't understand how a melee attack immediately exhausts your energy, but sliding up to an enemy then kicking them in the face into a backflip doesn't?

vanquish-gtfo-2lccf.gif

I am getting routinely violated in the bum by challenge wave
6-5

I've gotten the destruction of the balls down, LFE gun redeemed and all, but MAN the double bogeys rip me in half. I'm lucky if I can get one down to half before the other catches me in a beam or one of those overheating attacks.

Any tips outside of the usual dodge-cancel and haul ass suggestions?

Dyno

This game... It simply impresses! The last time I was this impressed was Gears of War. Vanquished - like GOW - is a game changer. Future games will owe much to this.

I'm only playing once a week with friends on our game night, just passing the controller around. I think we just finished 2-5, where you have to fight two argus cores (spider and man.) It was tough and we died several times but when it was done we just shot off the couch, pumping fists and high fiving. The whole room just erupted in appreciation and excitement. We've played games this way for ten years and something like that happens so rarely.

Minamu

Game arrived yesterday. Have to take breaks every so often so it won't end. Just beat the train sequence in Act 2 and it was awesome. I liked the demo but this is a lot more fun :D

LiK

Minamu said:
Game arrived yesterday. Have to take breaks every so often so it won't end. Just beat the train sequence in Act 2 and it was awesome. I liked the demo but this is a lot more fun :D
Hohoho.

man this game is just incredible. in Act 3 right now and there have been some sections that are just breathtakingly cool and fun to play.

i want more.

Aske

I don't own Vanquish yet. I haven't checked this thread since ascertaining the game was good. I have played the demo all of once the day it was released. Yet last night I dreamt that I was in a huge, dark warehouse filled with cover, and I was boosting around exactly like Sam while shooting some kind of cybernetic enemies with an assault rifle and doing backflips off the wall. I had two squadmates with me, and after we cleared the room we went for pizza.

Successful advertising by Platinum Games, or a chilling vision of things to come?

Foxix Von

practice02 said:
Okay but I'm saying there is tearing and noticeable frame rate drops.

Yeah, no. JoeFenix was saying was that there is no screen tearing present in the PS3 build. To which you resonded that the statement was bull and there are in fact framerate drops.

Which is a goofy assed reply, but correct nonetheless in that yes, there are frame rate drops in both builds. Although very, very mild in most instances. Your later, and current statement about screen tearing is flat out false though in the PS3 build. It's triple buffering with v-sync.

Dever

Banned
practice02 said:
Okay but I'm saying there is tearing and noticeable frame rate drops.

The only part where the game noticeably drops frames is the very beginning with all the ships flying around and such.

LiK

Any tearing or drops are rarely noticeable. This is all based on controller preferences. Either version is fine.

Would anyone care to describe the scoring system? I know there's a time bonus, a bonus for killing enemies, and a bonus attached to killing enemies, although I'm not sure what triggers it. Do any of your other stats affect your score? Is the timer going when you are moving towards an objective at the start or end of an act and no enemies are around yet? Would have loved to see a timer counter in the main game as well as the score counter.

I really don't like how the long, boring as hell credit scrolling 'shoot the developers' segment counts towards your score. It really is a drag.

I don't like how weapons are dropped randomly (besides the ones in fixed installations). Combine 'exit to title' or 'checkpoint' with random weapon spawns and getting the best score will mostly rely on restarting until you get the best weapon for the section you're in. That's an extra layer of flawed tedium I wouldn't expect from a game that's supposed to be focused on scoring.

Foxix said:
Yeah, no. JoeFenix was saying was that there is no screen tearing present in the PS3 build. To which you resonded that the statement was bull and there are in fact framerate drops.

Which is a goofy assed reply, but correct nonetheless in that yes, there are frame rate drops in both builds. Although very, very mild in most instances. Your later, and current statement about screen tearing is flat out false though in the PS3 build. It's triple buffering with v-sync.
ps3 version does not have v sync. I have the ps3 version it has tearing in the same areas the 360 version has it but also framerate issues If had to choose again I'd get the 360 version. Joe fenix was saying they are identical and as a graphics nut I'm telling you they aren't.

JoeFenix

There is no frame-tearing in the PS3 version, you need to get your vision checked.

The framerate is extremely similar as well the only VERY slight difference is in the way the shadows are filtered.... just stop talking please.

haha these threads ALWAYS dive into a spiral of retardation. the better the game, the more ridiculous things are mentioned.

ps3 has NO tearing! JoeFenix is correct

i wonder if they both have texture pop in? :lol

Minamu said:
Game arrived yesterday. Have to take breaks every so often so it won't end.

I am doing the exact same thing, lol. I am alternating between this and Kirby's Epic Yarn, which is...interesting, to say the least.

conman

practice02 said:
ps3 version does not have v sync. I have the ps3 version it has tearing in the same areas the 360 version has it but also framerate issues If had to choose again I'd get the 360 version.
I have no idea what you're seeing, but all I notice in the PS3 version is texture and object pop-in and an occasional framerate dip. Otherwise, smooth sailing. And I'm someone who has repeatedly traded PS3 versions of games for 360 ones due to small, subtle differences like slight tearing (e.g., AC2).

If it's there, I'm glad I can't see it!

Curufinwe

practice02 said:
ps3 version does not have v sync. I have the ps3 version it has tearing in the same areas the 360 version has it but also framerate issues If had to choose again I'd get the 360 version. Joe fenix was saying they are identical and as a graphics nut I'm telling you they aren't.

Digital Foundry > You.

Llyranor

Shmups aside, this and Bayonetta are probably the console games this gen I'll be replaying the most. The awesome gameplay just makes it so easily replayable. Though, I prefer Vanquish's pacing. Doesn't make you have to hunt down hidden encounters, nor does it have you go through boring vehicle sections (having to go through a particularly tedious one everytime you want to fight the coolest battle in the game should be a crime).

Llyranor said:
Shmups aside, this and Bayonetta are probably the console games this gen I'll be replaying the most. The awesome gameplay just makes it so easily replayable. Though, I prefer Vanquish's pacing. Doesn't make you have to hunt down hidden encounters, nor does it have you go through boring vehicle sections (having to go through a particularly tedious one everytime you want to fight the coolest battle in the game should be a crime).

Uh right, besides the ending credits that you have to play through if you want a high score?

Foxix Von

practice02 said:

I'm not even sure how to respond to this.

Either A: You have actually been playing on a 360 and are just severely confused.

B: Are misinformed as to the definition of screen tearing.

C: Have a PS3 that is about to keel over and spew solder all over your carpet.

D: You have somehow managed to severely cross Rei and are presently feeling the effects of the South Star Waterfowl Fist.*

*Note: In the case of D you are already dead.

Minamu

digita1alchemy said:
I am doing the exact same thing, lol. I am alternating between this and Kirby's Epic Yarn, which is...interesting, to say the least.
Vanquish, Halo: Reach, Last Window and soon Deadly Premonition for me :D

Foxix Von

JoeFenix said:
You get 3 cigarettes per chapter, there's an indicator on your hud right above the weapon select on the bottom right.

I was actually curious about this. What the heck do they do? I was just sitting behind a wall and hit L2 not realizing what it did. Then I just decided to chain smoke them all. :lol

rvy

Banned
Foxix said:
I was actually curious about this. What the heck do they do? I was just sitting behind a wall and hit L2 not realizing what it did. Then I just decided to chain smoke them all. :lol
Oh... come on, seriously?

Foxix said:

most of the enemies track you by heat. when he throws the cig, it'll distract them for a moment, giving you some breathing room.

Foxix said:
Serious comment the robots track it do to the fact that it is a heat source you can use it as a temporary distraction.

Top Bottom