• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Does Vanquish have different leaderboards for the US and Japan?

That would make calling those two 'the best Vanquish players in the world' a bit premature.

mjemirzian said:
Does Vanquish have different leaderboards for the US and Japan?

That would make calling those two 'the best Vanquish players in the world' a bit premature.

The leaderboards are worldwide. MOLU JPN was owning every leaderboard for challenge mode last time I checked, and he's from Japan (obviously).

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
leng jai said:
Haha. Well its three discs and the case is white. Has a little booklet with liner notes in them, very nice. Will post pics in the pick up thread tonight.
I am so there!
This is one of the few games where I've gone through actually noticing the music (during downtime especially), and want to listen to it by itself. Such a cool soundtrack.
Chopperman said:
assault is a staple for its accuracy, firing rate, high ammo count, and for reload cancelling Boost vs bosses.
This sounds intriguing. May you please explain?

Pooya

B-Genius said:

Did anyone here even read the OP? this is not the first time somebody asks something that is very clearly explained in there, in fact this happened a LOT in this thread, it was all for nothing I guess :p.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
miladesn said:
Did anyone here even read the OP? this is not the first time somebody asks something that is very clearly explained in there, in fact this happened a LOT in this thread, it was all for nothing I guess :p.
Ah, was that there from the start? Apologies OP, must have gotten giddy from all the awesome info and missed it.

To be fair, it's not exactly the first technique one would need to pick up before playing through for the first time. Thanks for pointing it out, though!

Llyranor

Alright, finished on normal! Good fun. Loved it. I though there was an Act 6?? Anyhow, it was a decent challenge and good way to learn the gameplay systems.

Instantly restarted the game on Hard. Will go for no-death run on normal and/or hard afterward, and then God Hard, so that's at least 3-4 extra playthroughs for me. And then the challenges, oh my.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member

Well to be fair the definition in the OP is incomplete.

Reload canceling also cancels the transformation animation

B-Genius said:

Basically with reload cancelling and blade cancelling, I switch to AR as soon as Boost clip runs out, then back to Boost.

So you deal alot of constant damage fast. It destroys bosses.

It's fun killing the unknown that drops from the vents with this before it can do anything:lol

Pooya

Chopperman said:

Go and read it again, and the part right below it.

FoxSpirit

Chopperman said:

Basically with reload cancelling and blade cancelling, I switch to AR as soon as Boost clip runs out, then back to Boost.

So you deal alot of constant damage fast. It destroys bosses.

It's fun killing the unknown that drops from the vents with this before it can do anything:lol

Funny, that's such an old thing, weapon switch for reload cancel. Is this intentional?

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Jesus, the challenge mode is fucking insane. I literally cannot finish the first challenge. Can make it to the fifth wave, but fuck, I cannot deal with all of those things at once. Any tips? Once you have constant missiles mixed with that flying asshole I can't deal with it. If I focus on one, the other destroys me.

I now actually have a toothache from clenched teeth and stress. It's fun, but damn. Had no problems finishing the game on normal, but I obviously have a long way to go. Seems that there is a lot to learn about managing enemies.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
I got this in today. I don't even know when I'll start it, though D:

I'll try to get some time in tonight.

rvy said:
Any idea when?

I don't know, it just says it'll be offered sometime after launch. It just means Japan, but Inaba said that it'd be offered as DLC "depending on where you live" in an interview in the Future Press guide, so I assume we'll get it eventually.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
_dementia said:
everything takes forever to kill

Use AR mode.
Aim for the head.

A single HMG shot to the head will kill all standard Gorgies, regardless of power.

ZealousD said:
Use AR mode.
Aim for the head.

A single HMG shot to the head will kill all standard Gorgies, regardless of power.
gotcha, but romanovs and such... holy shit i run out of ammo like a mofo, with or without a cutter :lol

Just finished Act 2. Loving the game so far. A lot of old school elements to it. My only problem is that I don't know which enemies are which so I don't know which ones to go for achievements on:lol

Alucrid

Banned
I just fought the red dude for the first time and the only thing I thought was "ERRUPTING BURNING FINGER" at the end. :lol

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
So I've officially joined the party (PS3 version). I am in love with this game. So, so much love.

Alucrid said:
I just fought the red dude for the first time and the only thing I thought was "ERRUPTING BURNING FINGER" at the end. :lol

This scene solidified my love. :lol

dwebo

gutter_trash said:
I think i fucked up my save file;

I made a NEW GAME instead of replaying the Chapters... and my Guns all got reset

:(
I could be wrong, but I'm pretty sure any time you replay a chapter, your guns are reset anyway. Only the continue option gives you whatever leveled up weapons you had.

Took me way longer than it should have, but i finally finished this on Saturday. Completely insane game, but I feel like it would've been a better experience had they added more of those cool down moments, or hugely different surroundings like the
anti-gravity area, or the dark tunnel in act 1
instead of the game being 80% arena type of shootouts. How was there no section where we slid across the outside of the space station for example? And of course no new game +, or any type of real suit modifications, or different suits with different capabilities just blows my mind. Just imagining a blue suit with electric charged melee attacks, or a Viewtiful suit with unlimited ARS mode, or a black "God Suit" with unlimited boost and melees makes me drool. The game seems MADE for that type of stuff.

It was fun as hell, but doesn't come close to touching Bayonetta for my GOTY, but then again only Red Dead Redemption comes anywhere near Bayo this generation IMO anyway. In any case, I'll be back for a Hard playthrough.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I'll be picking up my copy tomorrow as long as the garbage dump called 'K-Mart' has a copy for me. I guess it's good I waited since we have this deal, but fuckin A, why did I buy Fable instead of this game. I almost got this, what was I thinking...

the last time I played the demo, it fuckin clicked. I knew this shit was brilliant when I finished off a mini boss by flipping over cover and delivering a slo-mo shotgun blast directly into it's fucking face. So good.

Also, just to let you know, when you decapitate a Romanov, it will self-destruct in one minute. If you want to get points for killing it, you better take it out within that time limit.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
I want to try different weapon configurations for my hard playthrough.

If you guys have to choose between Assault Rifle and Heavy Machine Gun, which one would it be?

bobot

Neo Member
Just passed the bridge in act 3, gotta say im loving every minute of it. Theres a charm about it that i just cant put my finger on. Havent felt quite like this about a game since i first played Metal gear solid

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Laughing Banana said:
I want to try different weapon configurations for my hard playthrough.

If you guys have to choose between Assault Rifle and Heavy Machine Gun, which one would it be?

what is the diff? I couldn't see it in the demo, I'd figure the assault is for accurate longer range and the HMG is for dumping shots into closer range but the ammo dispersal seems to say otherwise

Snuggler said:
what is the diff? I couldn't see it in the demo, I'd figure the assault is for accurate longer range and the HMG is for dumping shots into closer range but the ammo dispersal seems to say otherwise

HMG does more damage but it has less range.

Took me less than 4 hours to beat this, and that displeases me. I'm going to replay the campaign immediately and do the other stuff, and the game was well worth the 60 bucks anyway, but I want more. More enemies, more setpieces, more inventive uses for the mechanics, etc. I don't care how awesome and replayable this game is, it's too damn short. Another 2 hours of content would have made this my game of the year.

leng jai

revolverjgw said:
Took me less than 4 hours to beat this, and that displeases me. I'm going to replay the campaign immediately and do the other stuff, and the game was well worth the 60 bucks anyway, but I want more. More enemies, more setpieces, more inventive uses for the mechanics, etc. I don't care how awesome and replayable this game is, it's too damn short. Another 2 hours of content would have made this my game of the year.

Difficulty? Took me 8 hours on hard.

LiK

revolverjgw said:

there is no way you can beat this in 4 hours on your first playthrough unless you played on Casual and skipped all cutscenes. that's how long it took me when i went for and got the Living Legend achievement on my second playthrough in one sitting on Casual. the game has spots which cannot be skipped or had a deliberate pace like following the marines or on-rail segments.

it took me around 7 hours on Normal on my first playthrough.

Finally picked this baby up along with a 6 pack of red bull and a box of condoms. Time to get to work if I plan on beating this in half of you guy's times....:D

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
revolverjgw said:
Less than 4 hours on your first try? I find that very hard to believe as well. As others have noted, many areas do not allow you to proceed at your own will. Whether they be on rails or force you to wait for the marines to catch up, there's only so much time you can trim from a full play through.

Furthermore, the in game clock is flat out incorrect. Eurogamer did a test where they literally recorded their entire playthrough. This was their second play through, mind you. The end results? The game clock reported something like 5 hours 30 minutes while the actual amount of time they spent playing was closer to 9 hours. The game requires more time than it would indicate.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
dark10x said:
Less than 4 hours on your first try? I find that very hard to believe as well. As others have noted, many areas do not allow you to proceed at your own will. Whether they be on rails or force you to wait for the marines to catch up, there's only so much time you can trim from a full play through.

Furthermore, the in game clock is flat out incorrect. Eurogamer did a test where they literally recorded their entire playthrough. This was their second play through, mind you. The end results? The game clock reported something like 5 hours 30 minutes while the actual amount of time they spent playing was closer to 9 hours. The game requires more time than it would indicate.
they actually went through and cut out the death takes as well, so that's 5 hours 30 mins not counting deaths.

KeioSquad2 said:
Finally picked this baby up along with a 6 pack of red bull and a box of condoms. Time to get to work if I plan on beating this in half of you guy's times....:D

It's not speed that counts; it's technique.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Snuggler said:

Assault has faster firing rate and is more accurate while HMG does alot more damage.

they actually went through and cut out the death takes as well, so that's 5 hours 30 mins not counting deaths.

On their 2nd playthrough? I think that says more about them than about the game.

If you beat the game under 4 hours on the game clock on your first playthrough, you should be congratulating yourself instead of feeling bad. That's pretty impressive for going into the game blind.

ToyMachine228 said:
Picked up Vanquish for $34.99 today at K-Mart. About to go start it. Psyched! Get out of the way Dead Rising 2. You're long load times, annoying and stressful in-game timer, and drab sections are giving way to one of the most action packed stylish games of the generation...Vanquish.

Prepare for a Triple A experience.

Your average CAVE shoot em up is 30-40 minutes long, yet people will replay it hundreds of times trying to get a higher score. That's how this game is designed to be played. Unlike the majority of games today, you don't replay it to satisfy your OCD urges to unlock new shinies or grind up your gun level. The game industry and players have been so perverted by progress bars and simple button mashing that any single player game that adopts a classical arcade game style with relatively complex controls is seen as bad.

Just finished it on Normal. Absolutely loved it. Stylish and action packed like they don't make games anymore. I would also say that I think Vanquish handled violence very well. The violence is intense in a few memorable moments, and that's what makes it intense and startling, like violence is. It's not heads exploding and brains rolling on the ground everywhere like some games (which are fine), but it's good to see a game doing things a little differently.

Definitely going to be playing through a second time. I'm on vacation all week.

Daigoro

cant wait to pick this game up.

figured id wait until it was 20 because its a single player game and doesn't need to be bought immediately, but 35 is very tempting. i picked up Bayo on release week and it dropped in price so quick.

we'll see if i can hold out much longer.

Top Bottom