• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

slaughterking said:
Heh, I see you're getting close to actually beating challenge 6. Maybe I'll try it some more myself. :p

Close is all I'm gonna get for this week. Going on a trip for a week and that was my chance for 1000. Oh well.

The key I'm finding is Wave 2. As soon as the bogey appears, lock-on laser the shit out of, going out of AR over and over again. Then hit the drones that come in from the right with one EMP. Go back to lock-on laser on the bogey. You can kill him before the drones on the left come in, and save one EMP grenade for 6-4.

You can stabilize 6-4 with two EMP grenades, just make sure to take the flying turrets out ASAP. Then you'll have 3 EMP grenades left for 6-5 which you will need two of just to take the ball robots out in my experience. They must be insta-killed otherwise things get really hard. Key to beating one bogey is just flying around the map with boost cancel, hitting AR, peeking around and lock-on lasering him. Use the upgrade cube for lock-on laser. You will definitely kill one. Be careful if you are going to pick up the rocket launcher, I accidentally swapped it for my primary and that's how I wound up eating shit.

If I had two more hours I could probably clear it but I have to go to sleep. I will be back next week...cry.

Heh, same thing happened to me with the rocket. I replaced my AR with it, but I missed nearly every shot so it didn't do much good. By the time I had one bogey down I had also run out of HMG ammo, so I had to run around the map for a minute searching for a new weapon. :lol

The lock-on laser is a pretty good idea too. You'll get them next time.

finished it last night; I had a great time.. but I still prefer Bayonetta and God Hand over this though

still; it is all about action funnes and that is what I like about their games... jump into action and just have fun

Ha, so I just completed 6-3. That's a first for me and I think I have a pretty good routine for the first three waves now (meaning I'm only dying on every second try :lol ). 6-4 is going too far, though. Figuring that one out will take some time (again). :0

just finished it, man what a ride that was. It's not flawless or anything but Platinum delivered what they promised; infinite climax action in shooter form.

Rocca

adversesolutions said:
Still struggling on 6-4, but I've got better patterns now so I can make it to 6-4 with 2 EMPs left, use both during 6-4 and get to 6-5 with 3 EMPs, two rocket launchers and a lock-on laser. I can kill the balls at the start of 6-5, but surviving afterwards is a problem.

One big issue is that if you leave the Romanovs in 6-3 and the Scorpions in 6-4 alive too long, they will wreck all the cover you have, making 6-5 basically impossible. So it's important to take them out asap.

I've gotten to the point where if I have all the balls gone and good cover, I definitely should be able to take out one bogey just with my lock-on laser. Everything so far works...in theory. :lol

Haha, yeah man, that's been my exact strategy this entire time. Works when I think about it, but in practice it demands a whole lot of patience. Hoping to try and get through it today and truth about the cover, I used to wonder why I'd get killed off so quickly before and realized I had nowhere to cover (and no cigs!).

Best of luck to the both of us, though. :lol:

God this is what I always imagined a 3D Contra should be like. Just fucking action jackson. Flat out balls to the wall, I want more games like this.

Is the D. Grassi guy in your squad supposed to be a Degrassi reference? That would be so random in a Japanese game. I had S. Mikimi for a little while.

A Human Becoming

More than a Member
It's so sad to see only 4/91 people on my Xbox live friend list have played Vanquish. I was considering asking for gamertags in here, but I like seeing myself at the number one spot for most of the missions. :lol

JoeFenix

Finaly got the time to finish up my God hard run!

454590 points and 1st place overall! :D

5-3 is definitely not fun but you end up developing some strategies that work fairly consistently, took me about 4-5 hours to get it down.

Game is amazing and is tied for my GOTY with Bayonetta, give me a sequel please!

Number one on God Hard is stuff of legends, and not using any checkpoints is even more god like.

Three Cheers for JoeFenix.

4-5 hours AFTER you got your strategy :lol

5-3 on god hard is PROBABLY the hardest thing in gaming as far as 3rd person action or shooting games go. i am reminded of ps2 Shinobi's last boss on super (shudders), but after trying these guys for more then an hour I can say they are probably worse.

leng jai

Volcynika said:
Mine is.........somewhere in the mail! :lol

......... :(

Haha. Well its three discs and the case is white. Has a little booklet with liner notes in them, very nice. Will post pics in the pick up thread tonight.

JoeFenix said:
Finaly got the time to finish up my God hard run!

454590 points and 1st place overall! :D

5-3 is definitely not fun but you end up developing some strategies that work fairly consistently, took me about 4-5 hours to get it down.

Game is amazing and is tied for my GOTY with Bayonetta, give me a sequel please!

Detailed stats?

Nice job Joe. I'm gonna try to top that after I'm done with the stuff I'm playing at the moment. :D

5-3 is an absolute nightmare until you get the strategy for it.

JoeFenix

Cool, I'm sure you'll be able to do it, I wasn't doing too hot score wise for the first 2 acts...

I didn't learn about the Title screen trick until late last night, it sucks, I had to string EVERYTHING together without dying!

Some chapters were hell, like 4-2 with all its crazy boss battles culminating into that fight with the 2 BIA's. Makes me kinda sad that you can actualy retry safely at checkpoints after going through all of this! :lol

What's the top score on GH on the PS3 version?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
JoeFenix said:
What's the top score on GH on the PS3 version?

only 10 people have uploaded completion scores and only 3/10 are positive :lol

A couple more notes for 6-4.

This, so far, is the only 6-4 clear video on youtube/nico:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0QJ8qNsKDww&feature=related

Useful for reference, but his strategy is a little chaotic.

I think something that can help stabilize this wave is using the LFE at a longer range. Stay at the top of the stairs and aim at the spawning ball bots, holding a good distance. Shoot at a timing where the LFE will hit them as they port in, and will give you enough time to throw a grenade towards the spawning ninjas on the right. Activate AR->shoot your grenade out of the sky. Boom, that should take care of most of the ninjas. Now rush to the other side and get working on the air turrets.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
haha, I wondered whether or not that was actually a reference.

JoeFenix

Vanquish.jpg

J-Roderton

Nice. I think I saw this on the Amazon buy 2 get 1 list. Probably going to order it this week. Need a long break from Reach.

Picked up Vanquish for $34.99 today at K-Mart. About to go start it. Psyched! Get out of the way Dead Rising 2. You're long load times, annoying and stressful in-game timer, and drab sections are giving way to one of the most action packed stylish games of the generation...Vanquish.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I wonder what it feels like to complete God Hard mode only to see a -250000 score at the end

That's gotta be the most heartbreaking shit

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Soooo.......... what are the best/most optimum weapon selection for Hard?

I rolled with Machine Gun, Heavy Machine Gun, and Rocket Launcher for my normal playthrough. Want to tackle hard next (not sure if I want to tackle God Hard :lol) Too bad the weapon upgrades are not carried through successive play-through.

Also, what's going on with sometimes the weapon upgrades are reverted to one level down if I choose restart from the latest checkpoint when I die? This is sort of annoying. Oddly, this only happens occasionally since sometimes the upgrades are still kept. What the hell...?

Animator

Disc gun is the best gun in the game for any difficulty. One shot decapitation of romanovs or you can cut off their limbs with every shot.

Chopperman said:
I wonder what it feels like to complete God Hard mode only to see a -250000 score at the end

That's gotta be the most heartbreaking shit

If I ever do finish it then I'm going to be on about -800,000 I think :lol The last 2 bosses are so mean and I'm completely stumped on the final one.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
Animator said:
Disc gun is the best gun in the game for any difficulty. One shot decapitation of romanovs or you can cut off their limbs with every shot.

Seriously? o_O I thought it was the most underwhelming gun in the game...

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Laughing Banana said:
Soooo.......... what are the best/most optimum weapon selection for Hard?

I rolled with Machine Gun, Heavy Machine Gun, and Rocket Launcher for my normal playthrough. Want to tackle hard next (not sure if I want to tackle God Hard :lol) Too bad the weapon upgrades are not carried through successive play-through.

Also, what's going on with sometimes the weapon upgrades are reverted to one level down if I choose restart from the latest checkpoint when I die? This is sort of annoying. Oddly, this only happens occasionally since sometimes the upgrades are still kept. What the hell...?

My favorite combination right now is Boost,Assault, Shotgun

Boost helps me speed kill bosses, shotgun is all around amazing when leveled and allows me to down Romanovs effortlessly, and assault is a staple for its accuracy, firing rate, high ammo count, and for reload cancelling Boost vs bosses.

I haven't really experimented with leveling the rest though. I think Rocket Launcher, LFE and AA Pistol all seem really useful as well. I might deviate with what I'm comfortable with and mess with those in my hard run.

Seriously? o_O I thought it was the most underwhelming gun in the game...

lol I don't like it either

It was useful for getting those 100 melee kills for the trophy though!

Animator

leng jai said:
Thats literally the only thing I used it for.

You havent really played this game until you take down one of those armored tanks with the spinning blades in front with the disc gun melee attack :lol

Okay, I think I have 6-1 to 6-3 pretty much down pat. Using some new strategies on wave 2 and 3 allow me to complete them most of the time now.
4 is still a bitch, though - but I'm getting closer with each time. I think I should be able to reach wave 5 today.

Top Bottom