• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
canadian crowe said:
I think I've hit a brick wall.

I'm at 3-4 at the beginning where you
are on the monorail and have to snipe the searchlights.
The problem is that I keep running out of ammo.

Is this a common problem?

nope

there are 4 sniper rifles onboard. that's 40 shots if you grab the next one as soon as your current one runs out

theres only like, 10 required searclights I think. and the one transport

Chopperman said:
nope

there are 4 sniper rifles onboard. that's 40 shots if you grab the next one as soon as your current one runs out

theres only like, 10 required searclights I think. and the one transport
Oh I'm an idiot. I grabbed all 4 at once. It upgraded my gun but only gave me
14 shots. Thanks!

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
canadian crowe said:
Oh I'm an idiot. I grabbed all 4 at once. It upgraded my gun but only gave me
14 shots. Thanks!

That's fine I think most of us did this at first :lol

Trevelyon

Goddam bogey motherfuckers in 6-5.

Just had nothing left to fire in the end, was frantically rolling for about 3 minutes awaiting the inevitable. ;_;

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
This thread sounds like DS, with all the "I'm in 2-2 trying to go to 3-1".

How much playtime in total do you get from the game? Replayability, grind, loot, upgrades, alternative routes/playtroughs? I am intersted but I am not sure if this game is for me.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
dofry said:

How much playtime in total do you get from the game? Replayability, grind, loot, upgrades, alternative routes/playtroughs? I am intersted but I am not sure if this game is for me.

I know this isn't much help, but I generally dislike shooters. Especially cover-based shooters.

And I fucking LOVE Vanquish. Don't let it's premise put you off. It's really a wonderful game.

Also, I'm about halfway through, and I really just want to start over. Partly because I feel like I could do even better, and partly because I just want to experience it all from the beginning again. That's how good this shit is.

Trevelyon

Easily 20+ hours w/God Hard and tactical challenges factored in.

If you're only looking for a casual play through you could easily plough through it in under 5 hours.

Llyranor

My normal playthrough took about 6-7 hrs. A decent challenge, though some will prefer starting on hard. I anticipate multiple replays already (the gameplay is so good, it needs to be enjoyed multiple times): hard, god hard, no death (either on normal/hard or both), maybe a speed run. From the sounds of it, the challenges should take me a lot of tries to finish. I only just finished the 1st one, 13min :lol

So is PG going to announce DLC for the game?

I am stuck on Challenge 6 (of the forever), but I will be pretty disappointed if they don't drop some DLC to support this game. Is it possible that since Mikami has moved on to the partnership with Zenimax that they are through here?

This isn't much, but the official guide has a page on the pre-order weapons and claims they are purchasable as DLC. Obviously this hasn't happened yet, but it seems like it might eventually. The official guide also has some nice inside math provided by the developers.. if anyone wants to know some raw numbers let me know. I wasn't impressed with the walkthrough, but oh well. The data is good.

Finished Hard mode, on to God Hard.

Defunkled

This is probably old as hell but I just realized that the Pangloss statues say "Fuck off!" and "Motherfucker!" when you shoot them.

Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but why do my guns drop a level whenever I die? Is there any way to stop this (other than not dying).?

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
canadian crowe said:
Sorry if this has been asked/answered already but why do my guns drop a level whenever I die? Is there any way to stop this (other than not dying).?

Yep. Just push start and return to the title screen the moment the game plays the slow-mo Sam's death animation. Then select continue. This way you can keep your upgrades from the latest check-point.

Of course, you don't get to have free ammo refill by doing this, but still it is much less annoyance than the level downgrade stuff, in my opinion.

conman

Laughing Banana said:
Yep. Just push start and return to the title screen the moment the game plays the slow-mo Sam's death animation. Then select continue. This way you can keep your upgrades from the latest check-point.
Pretty sure you can just wait for the continue option to pop up and then select title screen. Then continue from there.

Also, does this change between difficulty levels? Someone was complaining about how easy it was to upgrade weapons because you keep your upgrades when you die, but that clearly doesn't happen (on Normal or Hard). So do you not lose your upgrades on equipped items on the two easy difficulties?

DaCocoBrova

Finally bought a new PSP, but then pushed the demon onto someone else. Jesus.
This game is bursting at the seams with pure win. I love it. I'm almost certain that there will be some MP eventually, by way of DLC. The maps are perfect for ARS-less MP.

I'm too lazy to turn on my PS3 and check, but does anyone know if the PS3 version supports custom soundtrack?

Found some songs from DJ Max Portable that would be perfect for Vanquish. (Forte Escape - "1st-sync" or "Tammuz" for example)

Danneee said:
At last my copy of this awesomeness have arrived. Any tips before I reign slow motion bullet storms on my enemies?

After starting your jump to the other side of cover, immediately press L1/LB to initiate ARS (slow-mo) and get higher elevation advantages.

LiK

Danneee said:
At last my copy of this awesomeness have arrived. Any tips before I reign slow motion bullet storms on my enemies?
Death is inevitable on your first playthrough on Normal. Have fun.

Danneee

LiK said:
Death is inevitable on your first playthrough on Normal. Have fun.

Actually, I started with casual just to get the hang of it. On the first play through, then on to normal and so on :)

edit: and boy is this game awesome!

Unicorn

Hated the demo, but after reading this thread I gave it another shot and fell in love. Its like NiGHTS into dreams mixed with something else with guns.

Hoping to find a sweet deal on Black Friday. Hopefully 20$

KingDizzi

Banned
This fucking game is pissing me off, the whole of hard has been fine but spent a fucking hour trying to beat the red and blue alpha bravo things. The spike in difficulty for those shitty things is ridiculous, any ideas on how to beat them? Will give it a few more tries but besides that fuck it, Black Ops just arrived in the post.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
DaCocoBrova said:
This game is bursting at the seams with pure win. I love it. I'm almost certain that there will be some MP eventually, by way of DLC. The maps are perfect for ARS-less MP.

I wouldn't bet on it, personally.

Orhyanos

Neo Member
Finally beat this game, and I'm pretty sure it's my game of the year so far. Started a second playthrough on hard immediately (which i usually don't do) and I'm enjoying this even more than I did the first time. Gameplay is simply near perfect in every way... so damn good. Took me 5 hours, 55 minutes and 55 seconds to beat this (seriously). :lol

Also showed this to a friend who mostly plays Halos and stuff, so I wasn't sure what he would think. Dude started playing on freaking god hard, and although he was constantly getting his ass kicked he played like an hour and now can't wait to get his own Vanquish. Tells something about the insane quality of the game if a person can enjoy dying over and over again.

KingDizzi said:
This fucking game is pissing me off, the whole of hard has been fine but spent a fucking hour trying to beat the red and blue alpha bravo things. The spike in difficulty for those shitty things is ridiculous, any ideas on how to beat them? Will give it a few more tries but besides that fuck it, Black Ops just arrived in the post.
Use rocket launchers, EMP grenades, and HMG melee + ARS. There are lots of weapons lying around the area. Always dash towards cover if you find yourself exposed or if they try to melee you. You get a checkpoint after killing one so focus on killing one bogey.

ElyrionX said:
Gonna start on this soon. Quick question, are the preorder weapons obtainable withoit a code?
No. They are supposed to be DLC at some point, but no announcements have been made. That's too bad because the pistol and super HMG are really powerful.

Unicorn

I'm hooked :lol

Been playing the demo on 360 in any spare moment I have. Best score so far is 16k, which is probably pretty terrible compared to people who know what they're doing.

What's the consensus on 360 vs. PS3? The community?

Also, how do I cancel the A.R.? Sometimes it locks into it, other times I know that it's trigggered by sliding or flipping and then aiming. Also aiming grenades seems odd.

This is probably sleeper-hit of the year, especially judging by this modest sized topic and fairly high overall review score...

CLEEK

KingDizzi said:

I aced the final boss battle on Normal, but it took me 10 or so attempts on Hard before I worked out the best strategy.

If you don't have a rocket launcher (you'll need one) there is one just forward and to the left from there the checkpoint starts.

Focus on either red or blue, not both of them. Lock on and shoot one of them with a rocket. When they fall to the ground, as long as you have a clear shot, fire another rocket. If you don't have a clear shot, throw an EMP and move until you have line of sight to them. Rinse and repeat. It takes 4-5 rocket hits to trigger the QTE when you punch the fuck out of the damaged one and kill it.

You checkpoint and take on the remaining one, which shouldn't be too hard. An upgraded heavy machine gun and EMP grenades are your friend, as you can attack from range and do hefty damage. I didn't find this part hard, it was just getting down to one of them that was tricky.

conman

KingDizzi said:
As others have said, the only "trick" is getting those rockets off on one, and then use your EMPs and shoot at will with your weapon of choice in AR mode. Pretty easy with that combo.

The harder part for me was the final showdown with
Burns
. The checkpoint is unforgiving and cover doesn't do much good for recovering your AR meter.

Laughing Banana

Weeping Pickle
conman said:
Pretty sure you can just wait for the continue option to pop up and then select title screen. Then continue from there.

It's been a while since I played vanquish, but isn't the game autosave if you do this? And thus even if you select the continue from the title screen the weapons are still downgraded.

My memory is a little bit fuzzy. Or maybe I'm confusing this with Bayonetta with its stupid "...Now saving" one hit kill QTEs.

Korigama

Unicorn said:
What's the consensus on 360 vs. PS3? The community?

Frame-rate remains more consistent in the PS3 version, but occasional dips are present in both. 360 version has tearing, PS3 version doesn't. That seems to be the extent of noted differences (unlike Bayonetta, the PS3 version was the lead platform this time around). No clue regarding differences in community.

Also, how do I cancel the A.R.? Sometimes it locks into it, other times I know that it's trigggered by sliding or flipping and then aiming. Also aiming grenades seems odd.

1./AR is cancelled by letting go of the aim button when rolling or boosting, and only locks into it after taking excessive damage.

2./How grenades are thrown depends on what you were doing when you used one. Generally, I've found it easier to arc them when standing still, while throwing one when running seems less precise (often, I throw one and then go into AR to detonate it with a shot). Dropping a grenade during a boost is also possible, allowing it to detonate sooner and at a closer range (IIRC, anyway - I haven't used that method much).

Unicorn

Forgot the joys of bullet time.

Now to forever shoot my grenades as they pass in front of the faces of my enemies. :lol

Oh man, I need this game now, but don't want to drop more than $35. Was too poor for the K-Mart sale :C

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
im really disappointed at God Hard.

I though it would be in the lines DMC(3) and NG blacks etc, but just too much bullshit, some skirmishes are too unbalanced, if u dont have the right weapon at that moment you're basically fucked. It just changes the play style to something not fun.

Amazing game on normal n hard, but shitty game on God Hard.

conman

Laughing Banana said:
It's been a while since I played vanquish, but isn't the game autosave if you do this? And thus even if you select the continue from the title screen the weapons are still downgraded.
Waiting for the death menu then going to title screen works fine. It's a relatively easy cheat that lets you get around the downgraded weapons. I think it's designed that way so that you aren't penalized for taking a break every so often.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
I though it would be in the lines DMC(3) and NG blacks etc, but just too much bullshit, some skirmishes are too unbalanced, if u dont have the right weapon at that moment you're basically fucked. It just changes the play style to something not fun.
Isn't the only difference in God Hard that you can't upgrade your weapons? I thought the enemy spawns, AI patterns, AR meter, etc., are all the same as in the other difficulties.

Haven't played much on God Hard myself. Thought I'd take a breather for a while before coming back to it.

mattfabb

Banned
dofry said:

you get practically infinite playtime from this game. you can replay small section of the stages in order to improve your score, and the weapon you find are random, so every time you have to experiment with the loot and upgrades. the ruotes you choose are practically infinite. for example in the first boss fight, if you have sniper ammo, you can snipe his central eye and get him down in 2 hits, or you can shotgun his legs, or if you choose not to destroy the spaceships with the turrets, you can use the turrets on the boss...its all a balance of time/score options through the level...its mindboggling how much stuff you can do, the scope for perfectioning your routes/score/times.

conman said:
Isn't the only difference in God Hard that you can't upgrade your weapons? I thought the enemy spawns, AI patterns, AR meter, etc., are all the same as in the other difficulties.

Haven't played much on God Hard myself. Thought I'd take a breather for a while before coming back to it.

In God Hard, there are a lot of changes:

- Cannot upgrade weapons.
- ARS runs out twice as quickly.
- Overheat duration is doubled.
- Enemy accuracy increased.
- Your weapons do less damage.
- Enemies do more damage to you.

It is REALLY hard. I find that if you go into passive ARS mode, you're almost certainly dead. However, it is possible, as proved by various Gaffers already.

Personally, I enjoy challenge mode the most. So many strategies you can use and so addictive to play.

Top Bottom