• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Unicorn

Yurt said:
Dude just buy it, are you telling me you cant afford a $40 game ? :lol
Yeah, payday is tomorrow though. Have $40 in my account right now, but got bills and gas to buy. I know this will be on sale by black Friday, and if I can wait a few weeks, why blow extra money now?

Hachimaki

Played through Act 1 and a little of Act 2. I'm loving the game so far and how amazing it looks. The few bosses I faced were fun and the combat is great now that I'm getting a handle on it.

I was pretty sure
Burns was dead. No way he survived that explosion, but this game keeps surprising me.

I just beat the game last night.

Difficulty: Hard
Total Score: 198840
Time: 7:25:16
Cover: 6.63%
Deaths: 84
Friendlies Assisted: 31
Kills: 1020
Pangloss Statues: 6

The final boss was insane. I died around 40 times on that alone. It was kind of frustrating, but at the same time it was nice to see a game where the final boss is the hardest one for once. I felt like the only way to win was to land all six rocket launcher shots and EMPs during the first phase, though. I think I'm going to play again on Hard before going on to God Hard.

Also, I beat the first two challenges when I got them, but I haven't tried any of the others yet.

SpokkX

so.. I think there are some issues with achievments in this game

I completed all part of Act1 on hard yesterday.

I did not do it in order though but I can see under "Missions" that I have a completion time on every part.. Do I need to complete act1 in ORDER to get the achievement?

squ

Neo Member
SpokkX said:
so.. I think there are some issues with achievments in this game

I completed all part of Act1 on hard yesterday.

I did not do it in order though but I can see under "Missions" that I have a completion time on every part.. Do I need to complete act1 in ORDER to get the achievement?

Warning:
(!) "Complete all Acts" (see Survivor) requires playing through all Acts consecutively. If you use mission select at any time in your playthrough, you will not get the achievement for completing the game even though you have literally completed all Acts and have the achievements for each Act! You won't unlock the Living Legend achievement either!
(!) The same applies to "Complete Act #". If you use mission select before having finished an entire Act, you will not get the achievement related to completing that particular Act. (thanks vithzeral for pointing this out).
(!) When you use mission select, even after having beaten the game, all your weapons will be set to standard settings without any upgrades!
from

Lunchbox said:
why is there a dude named S.Mikami in my game running around shooting people

Kind of self explanatory...And one of Vanquish's several clever nods including the homage to Admiral Akbar.

Think I might start my Hard play through tonight.

Lunchbox

Banned
ToyMachine228 said:
Kind of self explanatory...And one of Vanquish's several clever nods including the homage to Admiral Akbar.

Think I might start my Hard play through tonight.

whats d.grassi?

this? -

zQRB8.jpg

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.
Finished this today — holy shit what an awesome game. Definitely one of my favorites of this generation. I was planning on playing Black Ops SP next, but I can just tell that for a while, anything else is going to feel like a step down compared to the controlled insanity of this game. The Kreon, the collapsing bridge, the zero-g part — all memorable and awesome. And not to mention how well it controls; the game is just a pleasure to play.

I had no idea what was going on with the story and the voice acting was terrible, but I wasn't playing for that stuff anyway. I did find the sound to be a bit disappointing, but the visuals more than made up for it. I was just in awe of what I was seeing so many times.

Obviously this game is just begging for multiple playthroughs, but I can't do that just yet because I have so much other stuff to play.

conman

vatstep said:
Finished this today — holy shit what an awesome game. Definitely one of my favorites of this generation. I was planning on playing Black Ops SP next, but I can just tell that for a while, anything else is going to feel like a step down compared to the controlled insanity of this game. The Kreon, the collapsing bridge, the zero-g part — all memorable and awesome. And not to mention how well it controls; the game is just a pleasure to play.
My thoughts exactly. More people need to play this game. They will be impressed, just like you were.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Narayan, hold me!

After I finally got my copy from Zavvi (never again!), I could finally play it.

Oh my God.

This game knows no bounds.

NO BOUNDS.

DUDE. This is like being reborn again with one change: as I come out to look who brought me to this world, I see Mikami.

I SEE MIKAMI.

vatstep said:

I had no idea what was going on with the story and the voice acting was terrible, but I wasn't playing for that stuff anyway. I did find the sound to be a bit disappointing, but the visuals more than made up for it. I was just in awe of what I was seeing so many times.
I don't know. I thought it was pretty awesome. Pretty much every line from Steven Blum(Burns was funny as hell). I have to believe it was on purpose. Everyone else was pretty awesome. Sam sounded like a chain smoker who happens to be super smart and super bad ass.

Perfect is what I'd say it was.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Rahxephon91 said:
I don't know. I thought it was pretty awesome. Pretty much every line from Steven Blum(Burns was funny as hell). I have to believe it was on purpose. Everyone else was pretty awesome. Sam sounded like a chain smoker who happens to be super smart and super bad ass.

Perfect is what I'd say it was.

Hah! I fucking knew it was Steve Blum. :lol

Played through Act One on Hard. Aside from the Bogey fight, I thought the difficulty level was just about perfect. Challenging, but not frustratingly difficult. The boss fight was pretty rough though. Took me five attempts. Act Two tomorrow.

Yoshichan

And they made him a Lord of Cinder. Not for virtue, but for might. Such is a lord, I suppose. But here I ask. Do we have a sodding chance?
Oh and I decided to play on Hard on my first playthrough. It was hard but not over dramatically hard. Will God mode satisfy my conditions?

Yoshichan said:
Narayan, hold me!

Oh my God.

NO BOUNDS.

DUDE. This is like being reborn again with one change: as I come out to look who brought me to this world, I see Mikami.

I SEE MIKAMI.
Oh my god, you're finally playing it?! :lol

PS3 or X360?

Yoshichan said:
Oh and I decided to play on Hard on my first playthrough. It was hard but not over dramatically hard. Will God mode satisfy my conditions?
It will force you to push the limits of the ARS. So... yes! :)

Yoshichan said:
Narayan, hold me!

Oh my God.

NO BOUNDS.

I SEE MIKAMI.

:lol

As ridiculous as this reaction sounds every word he speaks is true. The minute you play this game everything else feels different. Nothing can keep up.

Yoshichan

Oh my god, you're finally playing it?! :lol

PSN or XBL?

Enjoy! :)
God damn it, don't remind me how painful it was reading about you guys playing the game while I was sitting there, literally spamming my inbox with F5 every 15 minutes. For three weeks. For two fucking weeks, dude.

PSN! I was really out of loop during my ban-period and I did pretty much zero research which version ended up the "best". Any significant differences between the two versions? Also, do we know if there'll be DLC? I'd buy the living shit out of it. Seriously, I'd buy it on all my PSN accounts.

I know you love Bayonetta more than this (?) and so do I (but only slightly more), but the amount of freedom and control you've got in this game is beyond video game standards. It's fucking insane.

And I fucking love Mikami so hard right now.

Yoshichan said:
God damn it, don't remind me how painful it was reading about you guys playing the game while I was sitting there, literally spamming my inbox with F5 every 15 minutes. For three weeks. For two fucking weeks, dude.

PSN! I was really out of loop during my ban-period and I did pretty much zero research which version ended up the "best". Any significant differences between the two versions? Also, do we know if there'll be DLC? I'd buy the living shit out of it. Seriously, I'd buy it on all my PSN accounts.

I know you love Bayonetta more than this (?) and so do I (but only slightly more), but the amount of freedom and control you've got in this game is beyond video game standards. It's fucking insane.

And I fucking love Mikami so hard right now.
Here's Digital Foundry's analysis. The PS3 version edges out the X360 version out by a hair. There's some pre-order DLC available through GameStop, but it will be released as standard DLC later. It's just a weapon pack containing the Boost Machine Gun, Anti-armor Pistol, and the Laser Cannon.

I enjoy Vanquish and Bayonetta equally, now. They're pretty much tied as my GOTY.

I'm going to play in a bit, I'll send you a friend invite. What's your PSN-ID?

CartridgeBlower said:
What's the best difficulty to play on my first playthrough? Is normal too easy?
If you aren't familiar with the game, Normal mode is a good choice.

LiK

CartridgeBlower said:
What's the best difficulty to play on my first playthrough? Is normal too easy?
Unlike Normal in most other games these days, this game's Normal is actually very challenging. You'll be surprised.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
yeah, definitely start with Normal. I feel like the game is most fun on Normal, even after having played it through a couple times.

Yoshichan

:lol I had no clue they changed the presidents face for the US version

4fRjK.jpg

MNC

The collector's edition outside of zavvi, with the hologram cover, is there anything else with that? Or just the cover? (I really like the cover though so my stupid self will probably bite for 40 euros)

mjemirzian said:
Their AI is different on the other modes besides god hard.. on casual to hard one of them will always attack at range. I don't know how he's getting them both to chase after him in melee every time.

They're not really chasing after him trying to melee. After you disable the two of them with the EMP grenade, they'll pop up and try to melee you after they recover (if you're near them). He's just got them in a loop of 3 EMP grenades, HMG+shotgun, and rockets. He's dragging them toward each EMP spawn, so he's basically got them in a loop for the entire fight. So it's the same strategy that everyone uses to kill them, just executed more effectively. Still impressive, of course!

The funny thing is, even though he killed the bogies quicker and more efficiently than me, I'll probably always be #1 on the 5-3 God Hard board. har har har :D

Unfortunately, everyone gets the same score for that fight if you get the time bonus completion. 15000, or so.

Yoshichan said:
:lol I had no clue they changed the presidents face for the US version

4fRjK.jpg
They didn't change it, that's just the actor they used for the live action teaser.

Kobiekun

Just beat Vanquish for the first time. I played through on hard mode. In my eyes, this is how a third person cover shooter should play. Definitely among the top games I've played this year. It's going to be hard going back to the other games in the genre. I'm really looking forward to challenge mode and earning the rest of the trophies.

Unicorn

SuperJ said:
Just beat Vanquish for the first time. I played through on hard mode. In my eyes, this is how a third person cover shooter should play. Definitely among the top games I've played this year. It's going to be hard going back to the other games in the genre. I'm really looking forward to challenge mode and earning the rest of the trophies.
Only have the demo, but I can't stop thinking about this game. I even dream about it; at work I. Think about how fluid and stylish it is. How no action 3rd person game comes close to producing the euphoric energy I get from this game. Each section must be a sandbox of strategy and creative mayhem... judging from the demo of once section of the 1st act, of course.

I also think it's interesting that they left room for a sequel. Mikami is not part of Platinum so he probably wouldn't be Director of a Vanquish 2. Unless he has time in between forming his new studio and their new game as well as his Suda 51 collaboration to go work with Platinum again. I think Vanquish is perfect as it is however, and makes a great standalone cult classic.

ToyMachine228 said:
I also think it's interesting that they left room for a sequel. Mikami is not part of Platinum so he probably wouldn't be Director of a Vanquish 2. Unless he has time in between forming his new studio and their new game as well as his Suda 51 collaboration to go work with Platinum again. I think Vanquish is perfect as it is however, and makes a great standalone cult classic.
I think one way of interpreting the cliffhanger is a parody of Hollywood movies.

Foxix Von

Yurt said:
Dude just buy it, are you telling me you cant afford a $40 game ? :lol

Is that so unusual? I mean there's a lot you can do with $40 and not everyone has that much disposable income that they can just plop $40 willy nilly.

Hell, even I had to wait for the kmart deal.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
a Master Ninja said:
I just realized this typo didn't make it into the final game.

They listened!

You might say that they stopped that from happening.

Top Bottom