• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Future

Started playing and have mixed feelings. Stop pop slowmo is all I've been doing with great success. I feel punished for attempting melée since it causes you to overheat. Dash is a bit underused since I'm always wasting meter in slowmo. The result is things feeling a bit repetitive at least right now

Gonna stick with it. Maybe I'm just not gettin the gameplay just yet

Future said:
Started playing and have mixed feelings. Stop pop slowmo is all I've been doing with great success. I feel punished for attempting melée since it causes you to overheat. Dash is a bit underused since I'm always wasting meter in slowmo. The result is things feeling a bit repetitive at least right now

Gonna stick with it. Maybe I'm just not gettin the gameplay just yet

It's your own fault for not mixing things up.

Dash -> Melee backflip kick -> slo mo headshot(s)

is way more fun than

Slo mo -> wait for meter to refill -> slow mo.

ZealousD

Makes world leading predictions like "The sun will rise tomorrow"
Future said:
Started playing and have mixed feelings. Stop pop slowmo is all I've been doing with great success. I feel punished for attempting melée since it causes you to overheat. Dash is a bit underused since I'm always wasting meter in slowmo.

No that sounds a bit like you're doing it right, actually. I imagine you're going for headshots too? Are you cutting out of slow-mo just before the meter depletes? What difficulty are you playing on?

Future

Net_Wrecker said:
It's your own fault for not mixing things up.

Dash -> Melee backflip kick -> slo mo headshot(s)

is way more fun than

Slo mo -> wait for meter to refill -> slow mo.
:lol if it's that easy to play this game wrong then no wonder no one is playin it. Especially when what I'm doing is pretty successful as I don't get killed.

Regular melée ends in overheat, so I guess your sayin dash melée does not since you said you can slowmo after. Will try mixing some of that in then

Future said:
:lol if it's that easy to play this game wrong then no wonder no one is playin it. Especially when what I'm doing is pretty successful as I don't get killed.

Regular melée ends in overheat, so I guess your sayin dash melée does not since you said you can slowmo after. Will try mixing some of that in then

You weren't playing the game "wrong" but just because something is effective doesn't mean you have to do it until you get bored. There are lots of options between weapon choice, grenade choice, what type of melee you will do with which weapon, etc. etc. Mix it up.

And it's the backflip kick that allows you to slow mo afterwards, but I forgot which weapon you can do it with. Someone will come by with a more in depth explanation.

Korigama

andymcc said:
Vanquish also borrows from Gundam pretty liberally. The environments look like one of the Sides.

This is an extremely late response on my part, but Vanquish didn't borrow from Gundam so much as both of them (along with Policenauts, ZOE, and the Fallen Colony background of Tekken 6 to name a few) borrowed from the same concept.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Island_Three
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Space_stations_and_habitats_in_popular_culture#O.27Neill_cylinders

iconoclast said:
They're not really chasing after him trying to melee. After you disable the two of them with the EMP grenade, they'll pop up and try to melee you after they recover (if you're near them).
He boosted pretty far away from them a couple times and they still went all the way over there to melee him instead of resuming their usual ranged attack patterns. Are you saying going into melee is part of the behavior after recovering from an EMP grenade regardless of how far he runs away from them?

Future said:
Learn boost canceling (just mash dodge while boosting), melee while boosting to hit the enemy into a backflip+ARS, fighting up close out of cover, etc. The way to play the game for score is to boost cancel past optional fights and get up close with a shotgun/HMG/rocket launcher for the mandatory fights. If you're cowering behind cover and getting a crap score, you'll know it when you're in a 6 digit position on the leaderboards.

Net_Wrecker said:
And it's the backflip kick that allows you to slow mo afterwards, but I forgot which weapon you can do it with. Someone will come by with a more in depth explanation.
Heavy Machine Gun/Anti-armor Pistol. I use its melee as a jump button quite a bit. Melee -> Aim = AR mode jump. You can do this repeatedly as long as you aren't hitting an enemy or overheating. Alternatively, you can boost kick and enter AR mode while in the air as well. This will, however, place you into overheating once you land.

Some of you folks complain how melee attacks immediately put you into overheating, but you need to realize that this isn't a brawler. It's a shooting game. If you were allowed to use melee as much as you'd like, the shooting mechanics would break down immediately because of how effective melee is. Shinji Mikami himself said that, even though it pained him to do it, he had to make melee a one-shot because otherwise it made the shooting aspect fairly irrelevant. He strove for a balance, and quite frankly, I think he nailed it.

Have I mentioned how much I hate the grenade animation in Vanquish?

You want to throw a grenade right where you are but if you have any forward movement you do this ridiculous football lob which has like a 5 second delay on it. Perfect for getting murdered in 6-5.

::groan::

Future

Heavy Machine Gun/Anti-armor Pistol. I use its melee as a jump button quite a bit. Melee -< Aim = AR mode jump. You can do this repeatedly as long as you aren't hitting an enemy or overheating. Alternatively, you can boost kick and enter AR mode while in the air as well. This will, however, place you into overheating once you land.

Some of you folks complain how melee attacks immediately put you into AR mode, but you need to realize that this isn't a brawler. It's a shooting game. If you were allowed to use melee as much as you'd like, the shooting mechanics would break down immediately because of how effective melee is. Shinji Mikami himself said that, even though it pained him to do it, he had to make melee a one-shot because otherwise it made the shooting aspect fairly irrelevant. He strove for a balance, and quite frankly, I think he nailed it.
Inclined to disagree. Melée in shooting games are always slightly less ineffective merely because they are melée. Shooting puts you in less immediate danger, making all melée attempts a risk reward scenario. Taking away dash and slowmo abilities, 2 of the games major mechanics, off of one melée strike is a bit punishing IMO. Especially when melée itself could probably be tuned so it's not so devastating. But, it seems like Mikami I guess didn't want you meleeing at all really :/

But as said I didn't know there were certain melée attacks that didn't cause overheat. Definitely will try them out later today

Future said:
Inclined to disagree. Melée in shooting games are always slightly less ineffective merely because they are melée. Shooting puts you in less immediate danger, making all melée attempts a risk reward scenario. Taking away dash and slowmo abilities, 2 of the games major mechanics, off of one melée strike is a bit punishing IMO. Especially when melée itself could probably be tuned so it's not so devastating. But, it seems like Mikami I guess didn't want you meleeing at all really :/

But as said I didn't know there were certain melée attacks that didn't cause overheat. Definitely will try them out later today
Well, every melee attack aside from the Disk Launcher (which uses ammo) will put the suit into overheating if you hit an enemy. I use melee quite a bit, so I disagree with your statement. You just have to know when to use it. It's a power move. You will be punished if you use it improperly.

adversesolutions said:
Have I mentioned how much I hate the grenade animation in Vanquish?

You want to throw a grenade right where you are but if you have any forward movement you do this ridiculous football lob which has like a 5 second delay on it. Perfect for getting murdered in 6-5.

::groan::
You can drop grenades immediately while boosting. Also, I love the animation. It really shows that Sam used to be a football player. :lol

Future

Well, every melee attack aside from the Disk Launcher (which uses ammo) will put the suit into overheating if you hit an enemy. I use melee quite a bit, so I disagree with your statement. You just have to know when to use it.

You can drop grenades immediately while boosting. Also, I love the animation. It really shows that Sam used to be a football player. :lol
Yeah I'm tryin to learn when it's a good idea, but I just hate the arbitrary punishment. Since the game is fast paced, if I manage to get near a guy I am inclined to melée. But you get punished for it.

The grenade comment shows the same problem that turns this game into something only the niche hardcore can enjoy. I noticed that punishing standard grenade throw anim too, and shouldn't have to get around it by some other mechanic goddamn.

I'm a bit hardcore myself so I know I'll get it, but it always pains me to see design like this. Platinum games make cool games with strong mechanics but they need to simplify things a bit IMO

Again, the animation becomes a non issue if you're boosting. Sam will immediately toss the grenade in front of him.

Why are you throwing grenades while being shot at in the open, anyway? Doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

If you have a Nicovideo account, you can see what I'm talking about in this video: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12731500 EDIT: The video is the last fight in the game. Don't watch it if you don't want to be spoiled.

Again, the animation becomes a non issue if you're boosting. Sam will immediately toss the grenade in front of him.

Why are you throwing grenades while being shot at in the open, anyway? Doesn't seem like a smart thing to do.

I'm trying to throw EMPs when I'm getting rushed down by bogeys on 6-5. There were other ways to remind me Sam is a football player, this grenade animation totally throws off the breakneck speed of the rest of the combat.

Oh and of course I know you can drop them quicker when sliding, but I'd like to be able to use them reliably when I go into forced AR mode (i.e. when I can't boost).

Korigama

If you have a Nicovideo account, you can see what I'm talking about in this video: http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12731500 EDIT: The video is the last fight in the game. Don't watch it if you don't want to be spoiled.

For viewing Nico videos without an account.

http://mmcafe.com/nico.html

Unicorn

I just had a vision, perhaps inspired by the grenade/football lob and ripping robots in half, but either platinum or Mikami should STRONGLY consider a Mutant League Football-esque game, full of insane action and ridiculous violence. At the very least an over the top, incredibly fun sports game...

Anyone with me??? Haha

Trevelyon

adversesolutions said:
I'm trying to throw EMPs when I'm getting rushed down by bogeys on 6-5. There were other ways to remind me Sam is a football player, this grenade animation totally throws off the breakneck speed of the rest of the combat.

Oh and of course I know you can drop them quicker when sliding, but I'd like to be able to use them reliably when I go into forced AR mode (i.e. when I can't boost).

Yeah, the throwing animation has cost me at least a dozen times during 6-4/5 and the fact that it can be so easily interrupted is the real kick in the balls. I mean, if you're going to impose this stupid run up animation on me, regardless of the distance I need throw it, at least let me be able to take damage and get it off.

Koralsky

So, Japanese gamers can buy gun pack DLC that come when preorder the game?

"Downloadable content "VANQUISH Limited Weapon Pack" to deliver, from May 18, 11 "PlayStation ® Store" and the "Xbox LIVE ® Marketplace," will start at. The price is 240 yen version PlayStation ® 3, Xbox 360 ® version of 160MS points. Three special weapons that can be used in the game, "Busutomashingan" "Laser Cannon", "Anchiamapisutoru" recorded.
&#8251; "VANQUISH Limited Weapon Pack" will be reserved and purchased the same benefits."

Link

Yes, except it's actually November 18th.

It's supposed to be released here at some point. I really hope we get the pack at or around the same date.

Unicorn

Is every section of each act as open-ended in terms of approach and execution of strategy and skill as the section given in the demo? If so, this game could be infinitely replayable for me.
What're the challenge levels like?

The way scoring works makes me jones for the days of arcades where local hotshots vied for the top slot; putting their money where their mouth was, literally, as kids and adults would put in token after token to top one another.

Are leaderboards cut up by friends, world, etc.?

Unicorn said:
Is every section of each act as open-ended in terms of approach and execution of strategy and skill as the section given in the demo? If so, this game could be infinitely replayable for me.
What're the challenge levels like?

The way scoring works makes me jones for the days of arcades where local hotshots vied for the top slot; putting their money where their mouth was, literally, as kids and adults would put in token after token to top one another.

Are leaderboards cut up by friends, world, etc.?
If you play it on casual, you can pretty much do whatever you want and still clear the enemies out. If you're playing for top scores or on god hard mode, there's one optimal way to get the best score and you're screwed if you don't get the best random item drops (EMP grenades being the most valuable).

Leaderboards are apparently worldwide by console. There is a friends filter.

~Devil Trigger~

In favor of setting Muslim women on fire
Ok ima stop playing God Hard now.

what a frustrating disappointment, specially for a game with not much replay content. DMC and NG dont weaken your tools and capabilities to up their difficulty, this game does just that, I got pretty far too(last part of the
Burns fight
) and it does'nt feel rewarding at all.

I'll probably start the challenges soon, see how it goes.

mjemirzian said:
He boosted pretty far away from them a couple times and they still went all the way over there to melee him instead of resuming their usual ranged attack patterns. Are you saying going into melee is part of the behavior after recovering from an EMP grenade regardless of how far he runs away from them?

I thought you meant how they were always trying to melee after recovering. I did think that one part where he left them to go for the final EMP spawn was pretty odd. I never noticed anything like that while I was playing, but I figured he just got lucky in that one situation. There is a note in Japanese at the bottom of the video (at 0:42), but I'm not sure what it says. Maybe he explains it there?

Carnby

Koralsky said:
So, Japanese gamers can buy gun pack DLC that come when preorder the game?

"Downloadable content "VANQUISH Limited Weapon Pack" to deliver, from May 18, 11 "PlayStation ® Store" and the "Xbox LIVE ® Marketplace," will start at. The price is 240 yen version PlayStation ® 3, Xbox 360 ® version of 160MS points. Three special weapons that can be used in the game, "Busutomashingan" "Laser Cannon", "Anchiamapisutoru" recorded.
&#8251; "VANQUISH Limited Weapon Pack" will be reserved and purchased the same benefits."

Link

I'm in the U.S. and i received these guns as a pre-order bonus at Game Stop. they are great weapons and i honestly can not imagine playing the game with out those as options.

the laser canon is one solid beam that slowly drains your suit of its power. be careful not to over heat!

the boost machine gun is self explainitory...

the armor piercing pistol is another excellent addition to the arsenal. it shots one bullet at a time, but the effects of that bullet are devastating. red bots can be taken out with single shots from a far distant. and limbs can be taken off of the bigger bots with a few good hits.

heh, i remember someone in this thread saying he died 47 times on first playthrough. well so did i apparently :D 47 times on Normal. damn. but it was a fantastic ride.

started to work on the challenges, beat 1 and 5 without much hassle. i hope the rest are as manageable.

I hope we do get those DLC weapons at some point in the US. I didn't pre-order the game unfortunately. I hate GameStop. Just finished Act 2 on Hard tonight though.

adversesolutions said:

You can still boost in passive AR mode, and if you want to throw a grenade in front of you without an extended animation, just stand still and throw it. You shouldn't be going into passive AR mode to begin with, and if you still can't throw a grenade while in AR mode, then you need to step up your game.

Carnby

ToyMachine228 said:
I hope we do get those DLC weapons at some point in the US. I didn't pre-order the game unfortunately. I hate GameStop. Just finished Act 2 on Hard tonight though.

I'm almost positive that it will be available to the public eventually. i say this because when i downloaded it via code it was through the PSN store. the Vanquish DLC had its own description/page/icon.

a few years ago when i preordered infamous, i also received an exclusive weapon as a bonus. it was downloaded through the PSN store. and like the Vanquish DLC, the PSN store kept track of this download in my history with a full description/page/icon. and now that "gigawatt punch" or whatever it is called is available for free to everyone.

if history repeats itself, it will eventually be made available to everyone.

Minamu

Just beat the game :D Final boss took two tries, not that hard. Got 77 developers (11 statues :lol). I think I missed that spinning one near the end >_< Does anything happen if you shoot them all?

Overall, pretty cool game. Can't help but feel that it's a bit over hyped though. Mikami's track record isn't doing it any favors, but it was a blast to play, don't get me wrong. Not a big fan of the lackluster story and ending. I don't mind the cheese really, there was just not enough story to go around imho. And the ending felt really sudden. It's like the second half of the game is supposed to start after that... Don't like it when games do that shit :(

legend166

So I got the game last week and have put about three hours into it so far. Just finished Act II.

I'm really enjoying it so far. Pulling off slo-mo kills after jumping over cover is so good.

My only criticism so far, and I don't know if I'm missing something, but I really think they should have put grades on missions and let you pick them to play again. I guess I'm just missing the point of the scores if I have no idea what's considered good or bad. I could look at the leaderboard, but I never trust them because people usually exploit things to get to the top.

It might be shallow, but having S ranks to go after on each mission would have bumped up the re playability. As it is it's not a huge deal because I'm fine with the length and I'll probably play it at least twice (once normal, once hard). But it would have been nice.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Yeah, not really promoting/rewarding skillful play past a certain point is probably the biggest flaw of the scoring system.

It's so bare bones.

Chopperman said:
Yeah, not really promoting/rewarding skillful play past a certain point is probably the biggest flaw of the scoring system.

It's so bare bones.
Don't tell me you're using that as an excuse to not clear God Hard mode.:D

Koralsky

After finishing Vanquish on normal and hard i wish Hideki Kamiya direct eventual Vanquish 2.

Overall one of my GOTY for the year.

Unicorn

Chopperman said:

It's so bare bones.
A part of me hates it, but at the same time by doing that it opens up several ways to complete a scenario/challenge and still get a score that can reach the top of the leaderboards... genius really, in that respect.

Korigama

The Anti-Armor Pistol has certainly lived up to the hype. Laser Cannon and Boost Machine Gun are none too shabby either (a beam weapon that runs off of AR/Boost meter instead of ammo and a more powerful take on the Heavy Machine Gun are both quite welcome), but the AA Pistol is definitely the best of the three.

~Devil Trigger~ said:
Ok ima stop playing God Hard now.

what a frustrating disappointment, specially for a game with not much replay content. DMC and NG dont weaken your tools and capabilities to up their difficulty, this game does just that, I got pretty far too(last part of the
Burns fight
) and it does'nt feel rewarding at all.

I'll probably start the challenges soon, see how it goes.

The japanese make it look easy

http://www.nicovideo.jp/watch/sm12702216

if you dont have a nico account paste the url into this site http://mmcafe.com/nico.html

Top Bottom