• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

finally finished challenge 6. my time was 19:something. i must say i wasn't quite happy how they handled the last challenge. i used to either get stuck somewhere in the rubble while boost dodging a couple of hundred times across the arena and sniped, or torn apart by two rabid bogeys in mere seconds for thousand possible reasons. starting over from scratch is hard to swallow when you've already mastered previous rounds and there was no way to get a feel for the last wave. the level of accomplishment is greater this way, but it was kind of unnecessary if you ask me.

anway, i loved the mechanics of this game. by far the best 3D shooting game i've ever played for combat. needs work in other areas.

Duffyside

Banned
Augemitbutter said:
finally finished challenge 6. my time was 19:something. i must say i wasn't quite happy how they handled the last challenge. i used to either get stuck somewhere in the rubble while boost dodging a couple of hundred times across the arena and sniped, or torn apart by two rabid bogeys in mere seconds for thousand possible reasons. starting over from scratch is hard to swallow when you've already mastered previous rounds and there was no way to get a feel for the last wave. the level of accomplishment is greater this way, but it was kind of unnecessary if you ask me.
Absolutely. If you ask me, once you clear one wave you should be able to practice the next independently of the others. Even right now, months after I've platinumed the game, I bet I could easily get to the 5th wave of Challenge 6 (and probably 4 too) and then would probably die quickly, as I only ever cleared that wave the one time needed to finish the stage. So totally frustrating to have to redo 2, 3, even 4 waves that you've mastered just to even attempt the last one. There was no variety, as I already had my strategy down-pat, so it was literally redoing the same thing over and over.

Still my favorite game of 2010 though.

acevans2

Augemitbutter said:
I agree with this. I hate going to watch other people play a game online to get a strategy, but for this I was forced to since I would be guaranteed to die within 20 seconds of starting a new wave, and have to play through 10 or 15 minutes of the stuff I've already done to try it again. Not fun. Not set up well.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
It's frustrating but I think the challenge is in completing the set with no breaks

if you could start at any wave you wanted anyone could do it

like no death runs in the main game with the quitting to menu exploit

Curufinwe

It is more challenging but replaying the same 10-15 minutes over and over again just to get killed at the end is not very fun, and it's the reason I only ever beat the first Tactical Challenge.

U2NUMB

If anyone has not picked it up yet might want to swing by their local target. I was able to nab it for 9.98 on the clearance rack. Looking forward to seeing what all the positive buzz was about.

U2NUMB said:
If anyone has not picked it up yet might want to swing by their local target. I was able to nab it for 9.98 on the clearance rack. Looking forward to seeing what all the positive buzz was about.

I'm gonna go pick it up then. I bought a copy from Gamestop and it's pretty amazing, but I was probably gonna return it anyways especially if it's only $10 at Target.

Jarmel

Banned
So just beat it. While I loved the core gameplay mechanics, everything started to grate on me near the end. The characters, the story, the lack of weapon variety, the QTEs(I hate these with a fiery passion), non upgrades(stat boosts don't count) near the end, the lack of enemy variety.
The human enemies were a VERY welcome change. Too bad it happened way too late and way too little
I did like the final boss battle alot though.

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
Jarmel said:
So just beat it. While I loved the core gameplay mechanics, everything started to grate on me near the end. The characters, the story, the lack of weapon variety, the QTEs(I hate these with a fiery passion), non upgrades(stat boosts don't count) near the end, the lack of enemy variety.
The human enemies were a VERY welcome change. Too bad it happened way too late and way too little

You make some valid points. Where Vanquish really shines, at least for me, is it's core gameplay. Going back and playing the game with different weapons in different ways is what keeps bringing me back. It gives me that "if only I had done it that way" feeling sometimes. It's an old school hardcore shooter at its heart. Reminds me a lot of Axelay.

Curufinwe

Jarmel said:

Hmm, I thought there was a good amount of variety in both the weapons and the enemies. I did buy the $2 weapon DLC, though.

Jarmel

Banned
Curufinwe said:
Hmm, I thought there was a good amount of variety in both the weapons and the enemies. I did buy the $2 weapon DLC, though.

Hmm didn't check the weapon DLC. Vanilla version though there really doesn't seem to be much. Especially when you realize early on, that's it for the rest of the game. When I got the achievement for all the weapons scanned in Act 1, I was pretty baffled. The enemy variety is extremely lacking. There should have definitely been more human enemies.

Wool

Just picked this up this morning at Target for $20. GAF never gives a bad recommendation. This game definitely has one of the more satisfying feeling shotguns that I've seen this generation.

B-Genius

Unconfirmed Member
rdelaney said:
Just picked this up this morning at Target for $20. GAF never gives a bad recommendation. This game definitely has one of the more satisfying feeling shotguns that I've seen this generation.
Hope you enjoy it. The shotgun is just the tip of the iceberg as far as satisfaction goes. The whole game just screams of that 'oomph' factor.

Tonight, I finished my Easy mode run (going slow, looking for statues, no deaths) and cleared the second challenge. Was about to switch off when I thought "nah, let's give this a go" and started again on Hard. It's just so damn awesome.

I beat the first Argus, having to destroy every part of him and use all weapons at my disposal. It felt absolutely epic! The rest of this run is probably going to take some patience, but I'm loving the fact that now I know how the game works and what to expect, it feels like the experience is totally renewed.

It may not have the deepest story or the most brilliant dialogue (although it is brilliantly cheesy), but by Odin's Beard, what a fantastic game.

Himself

I'm so happy to see new people picking this up and enjoying it. Vanquish was the last game I was extremely pumped for and its in my top 5 this gen. Just a blast from beginning to end. Never could beat that 6th challenge area, though...

Rewrite

Not as deep as he thinks
One of the best games released this gen, in my opinion. The gunplay is just top notch along with the boosting and dodge mechanics. It all just comes together in perfect harmony and gives you this amazing fun experience that other third person shooters don't give you. I'll never beat challenge room six, though. :lol

Kolgar

I just picked this up yesterday at Target and holeee... How did I miss out on this gem?

Vanquish is amazing. It's like they took of Metal Gear Solid and Gears of War, blended them together with a hefty helping of awesome, and then turned the volume (and speed) up to eleven.

This thing is a pure joy to play, and it looks just frag-amazing. If there is a sequel, I will be there DAY ONE. In the meantime, I'm glad I finally discovered this game--it's got a hold on me like a lover's sweet caress.

Edit: Wow, even the credits were awesome. :)

Glix

I'm such a dick for waiting until now to get this. At 15 bucks it was a steal.

Only played through the first 4 missions, yet somehow it felt so much better than the demo. It just feels so good, its so smooth, and it manages to make you feel ultra-powerful, yet you are not invincible and can die quite easily.

Jumping over cover into slo mo, taking a dude out, going into a slide, taking another guy out while sliding, then sliding right into cover never gets old.

Just finished this game today (6:25). Omg this game is good! Never a dull moment and the visuals and explosions kept amazing me to the end. Enemies are very satisfying to kill and the speedy action moves are a lot of fun to pull off. The length of the game is perfect as well. Long enough to have gotten my money's worth but short (and fun) enough that I can see doing multie playthroughs in the future.

Unless there is a sequel someday that blows it out of the water, this one goes in my "keep forever" collection.

brentech

Just spotted this at Target and did a quick GAF search to verify the awesomeness.
I remember people talking about it in another thread, but I never came in here. Was in the clearance area so I got it for 14.98
Time to get at it.

brentech said:
Just spotted this at Target and did a quick GAF search to verify the awesomeness.
I remember people talking about it in another thread, but I never came in here. Was in the clearance area so I got it for 14.98
Time to get at it.
Nice deal. I hope you enjoy the game. I paid twice that amount and felt I got my money's worth.

giggas

soldat7 said:
Getting ready to hunt this down at a local Target. PS3 or 360?

Just did that myself this weekend and scored the last copy they had for PS3. Who knows when I'll get around to playing it, but at that price I couldn't pass it up.

Thanks to that one thread on here for the heads up on that.

brentech

They only had 360 copies at my target. Got one of the 2 out there. Probably would have grabbed the ps3 version if they had it, but I dont care all that much in the end.

They also had resistance 2 for like 12 bucks, and mag for 20. Then shit like monopoly, lol.

Game almost done installing to drive. See ya on the other side.

soldat7

brentech said:
They only had 360 copies at my target. Got one of the 2 out there. Probably would have grabbed the ps3 version if they had it, but I dont care all that much in the end.
Same here. Only 360 copies. Off I go! Can't beat 15 bucks.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Found this for $15 at Target, can't wait to try it out.

How hard is the game in general?

EDIT: Target here in Ames, IA had 1 360 version (which I got) and like 10 PS3 copies.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Found this for $15 at Target, can't wait to try it out.

EDIT: Target here in Ames, IA had 1 360 version (which I got) and like 10 PS3 copies.
I played on Hard and didn't have any issues until the end. I'm pretty shit at games, so Normal and lower should be doable by anyone.

soldat7

Curufinwe said:
I recommend getting the $2 DLC if you have some spare MS Points. The three extra weapons are pretty cool.
Bought. This game is incredible. I actually have a headache now. Must push through the pain...

Kolgar

Just bought on Saturday and am still on a love affair with this game.

So fast, so stylish, so awesome. Visually, it stands up to the best games of this gen based on the artwork alone. And sonically, well... I'm even listening to the soundtrack in my car.

Dambrosi

Banned
I bought this on Saturday, and oh boy, what a rush. I was leery on getting it too, since the demo put me off at first. But, after getting used to the control setup (which could still have used some tweaking IMO), I was zipping around on my butt like a blue-arsed fly, doing pirouettes in mid-air as I grabbed a huge bullet mid-flight and shoved it down a giant robot's exhaust pipe, and various other superhuman feats - I just felt so godlike, like the perfect power fantasy - one that reminds you that you are mortal every second you play.

There's a surprising amount of game there too, isn't there? I'm currently
inside the huge spaceship-cannon-thing, fighting a slithering mobile junkheap that keeps killing me at about half-health
, and I don't even feel like I'm halfway through the game yet!

This game is preposterously fun. It's what I want the next Gundam series to be like - fast-paced, cheesy, gritty and fun, with a hero mech just the right side of awesome and vulnerable. In fact, why isn't this a Gundam game? You're fighting mainly mechs in a space colony anyway, right? So why not go the whole hog? Get on it, Sunrise!

:p

Korigama

neoism said:
wait I just got this for 360 is the PS3 version better.

PS3 version was used as the lead platform. It's a little bit better (360 version has some screen-tearing issues), but nothing major as was the case with Bayonetta.

soldat7

Played through the first act on 360 and wow, what a game. Graphically, I'm noticing occasional screen tearing and some odd LOD and shadow flickering, but it's all barely an issue given the constant chaos. I think I'll pick this up on PS3 eventually as well. I love it.

japtor

Deadly Cyclone said:
I'd say I suck at first and third person shooters and beat the game on normal eventually. I had something ridiculous like 70 deaths, a lot of those came in chunks where I either didn't know what the hell I was doing or just playing recklessly. It's hard but fair. Like you'll probably hit road blocks but you'll progressively get better and win out after a while.

Top Bottom