• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VANQUISH |OT| Bullet Ballet performed by the London Awesome orchestra

Duffyside

Banned
soldat7 said:
From the OP, an excellent article about the game's length:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-vanquish-blog-entry

I will most definitely be playing this game multiple times.

Both versions are 20.49 on Amazon, currently.
Your Demon's Souls avatar makes me wonder (hope) if this game will be like Demon's Souls, in continuing to trickle in sales because of word of mouth, and eventually do well enough that a true sequel will be made. Again, HOPE! HOPEHOPEHOPE.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Bought it, beat it, loves it. To toot my horn, first play through and I'm ranked 384, with Highest mission looking to be 5-1 at rank 120.

First thought. I'll be blunt, I was expecting a Teen game. The game really bloody violent. RE style deaths on top of just seeing other soldiers get torn to shreds.

Onwards, Gameplay is fantastic. I felt a few certain spots(Or specifically bosses) were a tad bit cheap. Specifically mister double dodge instant gib. Something about boost kills and being extremely satisfying. Only other bother was melee burning your entire boost. It should have been half off.

Probably gonna start the replay on Hard over the weekend.

lush

Bought it for <$20 at Best Buy the other day and started it up on Hard, pretty fun game. I really love boosting around, the bullet time, and how tight the gunplay feels. I also just figured out how to smoke cigs while in cover, cool stuff. Not having too many difficulties, finished up Act 2 last night.

The weapon upgrade feature is pretty nice as well.

Articalys

Finally got around to playing my copy that I've had for a month or so since the Amazon sale.
It's definitely fun, intense, and creative. But it can also be immensely frustrating. Mostly fair, minus the few OHKOs.
It feels like, even on Normal, complete mastery of all weapons and advanced techniques is the bare minimum if you don't want to die endlessly.
I've never been a score attack kind of person, but I wanted to try out the experience and I guess I'm glad I did in the end.
I can see who this type of game appeals to, even if I'm not really part of that group; I'm glad others enjoyed it and hope they'll make something similar again in the future.

soldat7

Articalys said:
Finally got around to playing my copy that I've had for a month or so since the Amazon sale.
It's definitely fun, intense, and creative. But it can also be immensely frustrating. Mostly fair, minus the few OHKOs.
It feels like, even on Normal, complete mastery of all weapons and advanced techniques is the bare minimum if you don't want to die endlessly.
I've never been a score attack kind of person, but I wanted to try out the experience and I guess I'm glad I did in the end.
I can see who this type of game appeals to, even if I'm not really part of that group; I'm glad others enjoyed it and hope they'll make something similar again in the future.
I died a decent number of times on Normal, but I actually found the game to be a bit easy. I think the DLC weapons, especially the laser, were overpowered. I spammed the laser way too often.

Just bought it again for PS3, and I'm gonna play on hard with no DLC weapons. Should be fun.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Hard completed with ease... No DLC weapons to cheese it too.

Doing the tactical challenges now. Its kind of funny seeing how many people completed each one. Only some 6k for 1, 5k for 2. Correction, 3 is already done and it shows only 4k beat it. Time to take that weak shit home!

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
And I hit T.Mission 4.... And once again, the one part I felt was broken during the main game comes full force. Unknowns in tight spaces. The one hit, one kill bullshit galore.

Anyways, What do I seem to be doing wrong because I seem to be getting worse.

Wave 1, Wait till everything spawns and boost to the center. Shooter the two fire dudes in their back packs. Normally wipes out everything. Only a few heavy bullets spend.

Wave 2, Top corner. Get LFE. Burn one on sides spawning. Wipes all of them out. Use one EMP Grenade and One Grenade on mobs, wipes all of them out, maybe one or two will escape. And basically just wearing down the 3 mechs left.

Wave 3, Use AR mode to take down flier. And just normally kill the minions.
...Problem is the unknown like typical. Any tricks to it? Normally I just frag it and do a burst/heavy Machine gun slow mode which takes out about 3/4 of its life.

Wave 4, another piece of cake. Use AR to take out the 5 fliers with heavy and your last grenade to take out the minions running up. stay behind left tree and tank can't get you.

Wave 5, Another problem. Basically I don't know what to do on this one. Any good tips?

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
IIRC both EMP and Melee attacks(drop kick) shatter unknown instantly

but it's been a while since i've played. I just remember there being a bunch of ways to kill unknown before it can do anything

shintoki said:
And I hit T.Mission 4.... And once again, the one part I felt was broken during the main game comes full force. Unknowns in tight spaces. The one hit, one kill bullshit galore.

Anyways, What do I seem to be doing wrong because I seem to be getting worse.

Wave 1, Wait till everything spawns and boost to the center. Shooter the two fire dudes in their back packs. Normally wipes out everything. Only a few heavy bullets spend.

Wave 2, Top corner. Get LFE. Burn one on sides spawning. Wipes all of them out. Use one EMP Grenade and One Grenade on mobs, wipes all of them out, maybe one or two will escape. And basically just wearing down the 3 mechs left.

Wave 3, Use AR mode to take down flier. And just normally kill the minions.
...Problem is the unknown like typical. Any tricks to it? Normally I just frag it and do a burst/heavy Machine gun slow mode which takes out about 3/4 of its life.

Wave 4, another piece of cake. Use AR to take out the 5 fliers with heavy and your last grenade to take out the minions running up. stay behind left tree and tank can't get you.

Wave 5, Another problem. Basically I don't know what to do on this one. Any good tips?

There's a great breakdown of the tactical challenges on the Xbox360 achievements board, probably better than I can give you right now.

Wave 5 is the problem though. I believe the trick was to AR mode to kill the fire dude on the left, then grenade-> AR shoot it in the air, kill as many ninjas as possible and boost all the way to the other side of the map. Kill the fire guy there while waiting for button display for the bald dude sword enemy. If you can kill him, you'll probably be good.

If you stay in the area you start off in during wave 5, you will almost definitely die.

BTW, challenge 4 is REALLY hard, so if you're getting to wave 5, you're doing well already.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
Complementing suicide now.

Got to wave 5 and wiped out everything but the boss and the pyro one. I was going back and forth between the area and get in the QTE for the boss. Win and go into AR. Turns out the pryo unit shot his one hit, one kill while in AR and It blends with it so I can't see. Popped out of it and died.

=[

I can beat Waves 1-2 in about 3 minutes now. 3(When The unknown doesn't fucking grab me) and 4 bring me up to about 6 minutes. But goddamn fucking 5... fuck this shit.

You learn this on Challenge 6 more than any other, but Crystal Viper is basically not dangerous if he's invisible as long as you can press the QTE button in time. If he's visible and walking towards you, you will need to do something about him, but if not I would AR and do my damndest to kill the last flame guy more than anything.

Depends how close the other enemies are tho. : /

It's been a while and I still have this official guide, which I guess is out of print by now. Does anyone want me to post some technical details from the guide like 5000 point clear time limits and differences in stats/behavior between difficulty modes?

My excuse for not playing further is the lack of mouse/keyboard support. It's certainly possible with todays consoles.. hell the SNES had mouse support. But really I'm just average at action games.. maybe a little above average, I dunno. I completed hard but god hard/challenges 4 and up are just too much for me.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
mjemirzian said:
It's been a while and I still have this official guide, which I guess is out of print by now. Does anyone want me to post some technical details from the guide like 5000 point clear time limits and differences in stats/behavior between difficulty modes?

Yeah I'd like to see this

5000 pt clear time bonus:

1-2 2:20
1-3 7:35
1-4 5:10
1-5 6:40
1-6 5:20
1-7 3:05
1-8 3:50

2-1 3:30
2-2 10:45
2-3 6:40
2-4 6:45
2-5 2:15
2-6 8:20

3-1 6:20
3-2 3:30
3-3 2:35
3-4 7:50
3-5 8:05
3-6 11:00
3-7 7:50

4-1 9:50
4-2 10:45
4-3 5:00
4-4 2:25
4-5 5:45

5-1 13:40
5-2 9:30
5-3 8:35

Shinji Mikami's next game is being released next week for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Mikami directed Vanquish. Definitely check out the OT I made for the game if you're a fan of Vanquish or any other Mikami work like Resident Evil or God Hand.

japtor

ToyMachine228 said:
Shinji Mikami's next game is being released next week for Xbox 360 and PlayStation 3. Mikami directed Vanquish. Definitely check out the OT I made for the game if you're a fan of Vanquish or any other Mikami work like Resident Evil or God Hand.
The name of the game or link to the thread would be nice.

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
I dunno I just think it's funny to call it "Mikami's next game" and compare it to God Hand

but that's me who hasn't played it

ToyMachine228 said:

That's quite stretching his rol as "creative producer".

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
Beat 5 and feel better about yourself then come back to 4

That's what I did. I think 5 is alot easier than 4

I still haven't beaten 6 though

Relaxed Muscle said:
That's quite stretching his rol as "creative producer".

The next game Shinji Mikami is involved with. How's that? For clarity's sake, Mikami, the Director of Vanquish did not direct Shadows of the Damned. And it's made by Grasshopper, Suda 51's studio, not Platinum like Vanquish. But Mikami is involved and I think it looks fuck awesome.

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
OMG IM SO HAPPY! I BEAT IT. I BEAT IT. I BEAT IT.

Time is atrocious since I missed up on Wave 4(normally a minute and half, went on for 4 minutes). BUT I BEAT!

I'm now one of the 1872 people who beat it on 360 ^_^

Bought this game from Gamefly for like $ 16 ? Having now played the hell out of it I would've been willing to spend the full $ 60. I think the only trophy I have left is the for the Challenges, but I'd like to keep Vanquish in my head as an enjoyable and fun game. Not a frustrating make me want to rip out my hair kinda game ...

shintoki said:
OMG IM SO HAPPY! I BEAT IT. I BEAT IT. I BEAT IT.

Time is atrocious since I missed up on Wave 4(normally a minute and half, went on for 4 minutes). BUT I BEAT!

I'm now one of the 1872 people who beat it on 360 ^_^

Nice dude!!

How did wave 5 go?

Are you going to take on any more of the challenges?

sixghost

I kinda wish this game just had a mode where it would dump you into random combat areas throughout the campaign. The core combat is just so god damn fun.

My only real gripes with the game are:
-Act 2-3, or whatever the "shoot out the spotlights" level is, it's hard to even believe that was from the same game as every other level.
-For some reason you can't move along/exit cover while you are reloading, just a really simple thing they somehow overlooked.
-I wish there was some kind of Max Payne horizontal dive move that triggered the bullet time, it was always kind of awkward to slide sideways and shoot at the same time.
-Also, I wish there was someway to cancel the critical health bullet time trigger. It was always really annoying to have it trigger as I kill the last enemy near me, then just completely waste my entire meter doing nothing.

The game is amazing though, the crumbling highway level was fucking something.

Anteater

sixghost said:
I kinda wish this game just had a mode where it would dump you into random combat areas throughout the campaign. The core combat is just so god damn fun.

-For some reason you can't move along/exit cover while you are reloading, just a really simple thing they somehow overlooked.

Yea I hated that especially during the last fight, you could roll out of it though

R

Retro_

Unconfirmed Member
shintoki said:
Thank You! <3

I haven't even given 5 a try. Going start tomorrow. And yes, I plan on beating them all.

heh

when you get to 6 I'll give it another go as well

shintoki

sparkle this bitch
So Challenge 5.... Is the easiest one in the game? One shotted and the only time I even went into forced AR mode was the sniper spawn on wave 5. Or maybe challenge four just made me such a mother fucking boss. >_<. I can even handle the unknown with ease.

Guess tomorrow is Challenge 6.

I'm psyched to get this game, but really confused on what system to get t for.

I usually purchase multiplatform games on the 360, but I see the PS3 actually has no screen tearing, which is nice.

I would love input on the controls and if its better suited maybe for a certain console, thanks!

SkyMasterson said:
I'm psyched to get this game, but really confused on what system to get t for.

I usually purchase multiplatform games on the 360, but I see the PS3 actually has no screen tearing, which is nice.

I would love input on the controls and if its better suited maybe for a certain console, thanks!
I have both and I got it for 360 because I prefer the controller for 3D shooters. I didn't notice any screen tearing, but those things rarely bother me.

You're in for a great game no matter what system you get it for though.

shintoki said:
So Challenge 5.... Is the easiest one in the game? One shotted and the only time I even went into forced AR mode was the sniper spawn on wave 5. Or maybe challenge four just made me such a mother fucking boss. >_<. I can even handle the unknown with ease.

Guess tomorrow is Challenge 6.

5 is there to give you a false sense of safety. the next challenge is the real deal.

Piano

Banned
Just finished up Act 2.

Great visuals, great flair, mostly great gameplay....but the entire game is brought down by how unfair and frustrating it can be. I've found Normal a bit too hard and Casual a bit too easy so far - been switching it to Casual only for the bullshit one hit kill boss fights.

Not gonna lie, sort of disappointed. I was super hyped to play this game but I didn't realize how much a bunch of small bad points would constantly pour cold water on the whole thing (i.e. one hit kills, melee taking the WHOLE charge not 1/2, dying so quickly from normal enemies, not enough charge in general, etc).

Mreh. Not sure I see myself playing through this a second time. Too frustrating. Or am I missing something here?

Anteater

.but the entire game is brought down by how unfair and frustrating it can be. I've found Normal a bit too hard and Casual a bit too easy so far - been switching it to Casual only for the bullshit one hit kill boss fights.

Most if not all of the one hit attacks have sound and visual cues, so they're not really cheap, rolling give you invincible frames so they're mostly dodgeable, and you have the radar to help you. The only attacks I remember that doesn't give you any warnings were sniper shots and weaker enemy fire/lasers.

As for Melee, some didn't like it, and I certainly think it could be improved but overheating is part of the balance mechanic, with LFE gun for knock down, disc launcher that won't overheat, overpowered shotgun charged back hand melee, and stun grenades, you still have a lot of variety of options to tackle those close combat situation and work around the overheating problem, and you could also take out enemies body parts to help.

I think playing it like a japanese action game and you might find it more fun.

Top Bottom