• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Variety: Radiohead’s Thom Yorke to Score ‘Suspiria’ Remake

http://variety.com/2017/film/news/thom-yorke-suspiria-1202422331/

Thom Yorke will compose the score for Luca Guadagnino’s “Suspiria,” Variety has learned.

The film is a reimagining of Dario Argento’s cult classic. The new version of the horror film is directed by the critically acclaimed Italian filmmaker behind “Call Me By Your Name” and “I Am Love.” Yorke is best-known as the singer and principal songwriter behind the alt-rock band Radiohead. “Suspiria” marks the first time he scored a feature film.

Amazon Studios co-financed the film with K Period Media, the producer of “Manchester by the Sea.” It will release “Suspiria” theatrically in the United States. The film stars Oscar-winner Tilda Swinton, “Fifty Shades of Grey’s” Dakota Johnson, “A Cure For Wellness'” Mia Goth, and “Kickass'” Chloë Grace Moretz. Jessica Harper, star of the original “Suspiria,” is also in the cast. Marco Morabito and Brad Fischer produced the film through their Frenesy Films and Mythology Entertainment production banners. David Kajganich wrote the script.

*Sigh*

Oh look, another pointless remake. At least it might have a solid soundtrack.

The reason people loved Suspira is that they love Dario Argento's strange and brilliant filmmaking.

F0rneus

Tears in the rain
Suspiria cannot be remade. Director's comments about how his film would have cold colors....This is gonna suck ass. OST might be good. Might be.

Remaking an Argento movie is like remaking a Godard movie or something. Shouldn't be a thing.

But cool that Yorke is making the music I guess.

Krev

Unconfirmed Member
The movie will probably be really good.
Suspiria cannot be remade. Director's comments about how his film would have cold colors....This is gonna suck ass.
This shows he's intentionally trying to step away from the original and make something different.

Blader

Sounds like he's taking some cues from Vangelis/Blade Runner:

“It’s absolutely terrifying,” Yorke says of the experience. “It’s hard because I’m way out of my comfort zone, and I can’t read music so it’s not like I’m writing for orchestra. I’m building it all myself. In fact, I watched Blade Runner twice at the weekend. ‘Oh, that sound, I could do something like that, that’s quite easy,’” he jokes. “‘I’ll rip that bit off there and that bit there and I’ll be fine.’”

Vangelis, it’s his hands that made that. Which encouraged me. Because that was the thing I was finding most daunting. Normally [scoring] a horror movie involves orchestras, these specific things. But Luca [Guadagnino], the director, and Walter [Fasano], the editor, are very much, like, find your own path with it. ... I just have to find a way into it.

Full interview

Ridley327

Never gonna top Goblin's work.

It doesn't need to be better than what Goblin did to be good, though.

That also applies to everything else they've said about the film, too. Everyone involved seems to be clued into the fact that making a direct remake of the film would be a disaster, so making it their own thing is the absolute best play that could be made.

Top Bottom