• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity Ultra |OT| High speed PSVita gaming - Show Thumb Respect

RpgN

Give it a few days. Happens sometimes with new releases where Sony forgot to upload the trophies.

Okay, will do. Thanks!

The game feels sooooooo good on the vita, it really is the ultimate version. Menus are more appealing with the touch screen, graphics look better and fitting on the big screen. Also the guys said they didn'think touch screen teleportation benefits the game, I disagree with that. At least with levels that don't demand crazy speed to get perfect medals, not sure how they will work with the last levels. In certain levels, it's even an advantage over square button. I'm happy they still added this feature for the fans.

recurv,

Is there any chance at all we see Velocity Ultra on the Japanese PSN anytime soon? I'm pretty sure the original mini never got there :(

joeblow

Bought the original after reading recommendations here and loved every second. Looking forward to the upgraded release!

recurv

Neo Member
recurv,

Is there any chance at all we see Velocity Ultra on the Japanese PSN anytime soon? I'm pretty sure the original mini never got there :(

Hiya,

That will depend on how well the game does - releasing in Japan is a massive headache. We spent a long time and quite a lot of money trying to get Coconut Dodge released in Japan and eventually we gave up because the process for doing it is... not viable for a small studio.

So, fingers crossed. We'd certainly love to have the game released in Japan because Japan.

Carl

Nice one Wario.

Anyone managed to get into the Elite Lounge for any Zone? :)

I'm in the Elite Lounge on zone 1
Currently 2nd on the leaderboards for Zone 2 -_-

I'm in the top 10 on every Zone though at the time of writing. Not for long i bet.

Arukado

Nice one Wario.

I'm in the top 10 on every Zone though at the time of writing. Not for long i bet.
I'm Elite on zone 7 iirc.

Btw, congrats to futurlab, because the game is really awesome. And thanks again for the teleportation touch controls.

Carl

I'm Elite on zone 7 iirc.

Btw, congrats to futurlab, because the game is really awesome. And thanks again for the teleportation touch controls.

Nice one!

Not actually tried the teleportation touch controls yet. Love the bombs on right stick though.

Number45

I can't help but think that the touch teleport is going to be needed for fast times, but I can't for the life of me work out how to hold and have access to the d-pad, face buttons, triggers and the touch screen.

At the moment I'm just working my way through each of the zones. I'll go back to try and ace them afterwards.

Loving the game anyway. I have the original, but I never gave it much attention because it was a mini (which I'm ashamed to admit).

nampad

Nice one!

Not actually tried the teleportation touch controls yet. Love the bombs on right stick though.

Thanks for the heads up, still used the old controls and right stick flick is much better.

Gameplay is as good as usual and I like the overhauled graphics but the leaderboards are really really bad.
Touchscreen only? Why don't you show me my score and my position? It has to be one of the worse leaderboards I have seen.

Ok just tried it, seven sections performed so far. It's been pretty cool but I can already anticipate the difficulty for par times and such. I'm afraid.

Arukado

It's really useful to teleport from one side of the screen to the other, since you have both thumbs close to the screen. And precise.

And yes, bombs on the right stick are great too.

Carl

Gameplay is as good as usual and I like the overhauled graphics but the leaderboards are really really bad.
Touchscreen only? Why don't you show me my score and my position? It has to be one of the worse leaderboards I have seen.

What do you mean? It does show your score and position.

It's really useful to teleport from one side of the screen to the other, since you have both thumbs close to the screen. And precise.

And yes, bombs on the right stick are great too.

I'll have to give it a try. Get the feeling it won't work so well in the later levels though lol :p

Akito

Found myself :)

i00z35KsRmUW7.jpeg

I played the first 12 levels, still as fun as ever.

Carl

Cookie and my eternal love for the first person to get "Carl salutes you" and take a screenshot.

Edit: Looks like i was the first to find it. I win my own eternal love! ;)

nampad

What do you mean? It does show your score and position.

I'll have to give it a try. Get the feeling it won't work so well in the later levels though lol :p

It didn't show my scores when I tried comparing them with yours before. Now it does but only for the first three zones. I have played up to zone 18 hours ago. The update seems to take very long.
Also, why the touchscreen only controls? :(
Hope somebody from Futurlab reads this and they fix it. They seem to respond well to fan feedback.

Edit: Have to say I don't like the overall interface much. The stats page could show the information without scrolling. At least on that page you can scroll fast unlike in the comms. Reading through mission briefings feels sluggish.

I may sound nitpicky but I still like the game though.

Carl

It didn't show my scores when I tried comparing them with yours before. Now it does but only for the first three zones. I have played up to zone 18 hours ago. The update seems to take very long.
Also, why the touchscreen only controls? :(
Hope somebody from Futurlab reads this and they fix it. They seem to respond well to fan feedback.

That's strange, they all looked fine to me when i looked. I'm sure James is keeping an eye on this thread, he'll probably be in at some point to explain or something.

Carl

I especially like that this thread title reminds gaffers to be respectful to me. ;)

What can i say? Thought everyone needed to be told ;)

Done the first 20 zones - trying to get perfect as i go! So rewarding when you finally get that perfect medal :) I forgot how hard some of these levels are - but how bloody awesome they are.

And dat soundtrack. Seriously.

Skyzard

Banned
^ Definitely, wicked soundtrack. Gameplay vid has me pumped too.

Got to wait till tomorrow to play it but can't wait. The music in the video on the first page is awesome too (zone 9 gameplay video).

Do you reckon they'll add some new stages through DLC?

yurinka

It's so fucking awesome! 11/10. But Sony, let me pay this guys some money, I feel bad getting it for free!

DiscoJer

It's so fucking awesome! 11/10. But Sony, let me pay this guys some money, I feel bad getting it for free!

You could buy Coconut Dodge HD (their first game updated for the Vita) when it comes out next month. Also a very good game.

DBT85

Played a few levels last night, got one elite score. Game looks great, game sounds even better. Superb.

Why not purcahse it from the web store and send it to your Vita?

Thats what i did, 'bought' it from my work pc but when i got to lunch used my phone as a wifi hot spot to download it, sadly it was being slow so it only got round to downloading about 75%.

Been playing this morning though and great as expected, i especially love the music which reminds me of my C64 gaming days which helps bring the feels :p

Hope the game does well because it really deserves it, well done guys :)

Oh if anyone finds my name in there, let me know ;)

Nice one Wario.

Just got Elite status on zone 4, but only took a few tries, so I don't think that zone is very hard to get.

I think leaderboard only showed recurv, me and one other in the elite lounge though for some reason.

wouwie

Futurlab has done a great job with Velocity Ultra. It looks polished and coherent. The cutscene graphics are really nice. Not a big fan of the (colored) backgrounds/enemy ships but that's ok :) They even fixed the look of the pods.

The game is still as great from a gameplay point of view and the music is awesome. It really is the definite version although the mini version had a certain oldschool pixelled charm too. They are both great versions of a great game.

Having played the original mini so much, it doesn't feel as fresh anymore but that was to be expected. I'm not interested in leaderboards and trophies so that part doesn't add much for me. Still, i'm enjoying myself replaying the game.

I don't know if there are more ideas that could be used in Velocity 2 but since everything is up and running on Vita, i'm hoping that a sequel is indeed being considered. That would be most excellent.

After all this time playing the game, i'm still puzzled on what it takes to have a perfect score though. I have all the checkboxes ticked and didn't die but somehow i don't receive a perfect score.

Anyway, looking forward to continue playing and to buying the soundtrack tomorrow.

Great job, Futurlab, and looking forward to whatever comes next!

Are there zones where the trophy Velocity (Complete a zone without letting go of boost) is not able to be earned? Because I've tried completing both zone 1 and zone 4 with boost held down through the whole level, but without luck. I even keep the boost button pressed before I start the level.

The only problem I could see with zone 1 is the control help popups... Anyone been able to get this trophy?

After all this time playing the game, i'm still puzzled on what it takes to have a perfect score though. I have all the checkboxes ticked and didn't die but somehow i don't receive a perfect score.

I *think* your ship can't take damage to get the perfect medal, but if you take damage you can still get all the checkboxes ticked.

danthefan

Holy crap. This game is bloody awesome.

All the XP you get at the end of levels, can you do anything with it or what?

Edit - XP seems to unlock levels, nevermind. Was wondering if I could upgrade my ship or somesuch.

DBT85

How do you get Elite? You have to be under par time and save everyone all in the same round?

Looks hard as hell.

Typically I think you need to boost through the level as much as possible, save everyone, destroy everything, collect everything.

I have 1 so far lol.

As I said in the other thread before, Velocity is a very easy game to play and get into, the fast restarts help massively too. But to master it and get Perfect / Elite scores on every level and complete all the extra stuff is what makes it more difficult.

Number45

^^ yup. I'm getting through the levels at quite a pace, but seldom getting golds as I go. In some of the more recent levels I'm WAY off of gold standard in either rescues or time, or both.

RpgN

Wut? Perfect gold medals are fine. I didn't know there was an Elite. It sounds like it might be very difficult to get.

Oh yeah, the trophies are up on playstation network btw. That was fast :)

Carl

Number45

Personally i decided to go for Perfect medals as i go along. More fun :D
I often find if I do that and get stuck I don't continue and then I might not finish the game. Safer to play through, get comfortable with all of the systems in the game and then go back when I'm done.

That said, 42 is giving me problems at the moment. Just can't finish it in time, I might need to go through a run ignoring the survivors just to understand how long it is and plan a decent route.

Carl

I often find if I do that and get stuck I don't continue and then I might not finish the game. Safer to play through, get comfortable with all of the systems in the game and then go back when I'm done.

That said, 42 is giving me problems at the moment. Just can't finish it in time, I might need to go through a run ignoring the survivors just to understand how long it is and plan a decent route.

Yeah that's fair enough. I like doing it this way because... I dunno, haha.

Yeah i do that. Go through it not worrying about survivors (but taking note of where they are) to learn the fastest route, then do it again getting all survivors, then try and perfect it. Served me well so far - up to zone 32 with all of them perfect so far.

FDC1

How do you get your names (or anyone else's name for the matter) appear guys?

If someone can "find" me in the game and post a pic, that would be awesome.

Carl

How do you get your names (or anyone else's name for the matter) appear guys?

If someone can "find" me in the game and post a pic, that would be awesome.

Go to the flight computer, and go on stats. Hit triangle and it'll say someone salutes you :)

krioto

Never heard of this game before, and grabbed it for free on + last night.

Wow - such a fun game, and excellent art style for the mid-stage pics.

Loving it.

Top Bottom