• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity Ultra |OT| High speed PSVita gaming - Show Thumb Respect

DBT85

Fantastic game, but boy do I suck at the Smith bonus stage.

I'm on lvl 6 on 8bit mode. Good fun, though I can;t fathom why the ship is low res and blurry when everything else isn't.

I like the bonus missions where you can;t hit the side, need to boost all the way and get the survivors.

I'm on lvl 6 on 8bit mode. Good fun, though I can;t fathom why the ship is low res and blurry when everything else isn't.

I like the bonus missions where you can;t hit the side, need to boost all the way and get the survivors.

Those are great and the Snake one was nice as well. I just can't wrap my head around the controls in that stage. Which is entirely my problem, not the game's. Perhaps I need to practice more.

DBT85

Those are great and the Snake one was nice as well. I just can't wrap my head around the controls in that stage. Which is entirely my problem, not the game's. Perhaps I need to practice more.

I just found that you need to put more thrust in that you expect. After that it's just making sure you have enough fuel left to finish the stage.

Also a hint as to where you are supposed to go once you get all the pods would have been nice lol.

sono

I just downloaded this now courtesy of PS+.

Playing it now, listening on bluetooth h/phones : wow the music is also excellent!

Thank you for heads up!

Are you doing the 8bit difficulty for fun or are you only looking to get the medal for completing that difficulty? Because you get the hard medal by just completing level 10 after completing all 10 levels on casual :)

Raonak

Banned
Loved the minis version, loving this even more!

Really like the new artstyle, hi res goodness.

reached level 23, with all levels so far gold+perfected
gonna try for the platinum- perfected nearly all levels in the minis ver.

DBT85

Are you doing the 8bit difficulty for fun or are you only looking to get the medal for completing that difficulty? Because you get the hard medal by just completing level 10 after completing all 10 levels on casual :)

Ahh didn't know that, the trophy says completing on hard so I assumed I needed to do it on 8 bit.

recurv

Neo Member
It didn't show my scores when I tried comparing them with yours before. Now it does but only for the first three zones. I have played up to zone 18 hours ago. The update seems to take very long.
Also, why the touchscreen only controls? :(
Hope somebody from Futurlab reads this and they fix it. They seem to respond well to fan feedback.

Edit: Have to say I don't like the overall interface much. The stats page could show the information without scrolling. At least on that page you can scroll fast unlike in the comms. Reading through mission briefings feels sluggish.

I may sound nitpicky but I still like the game though.

Always watching ;)

The stats page was crammed in at the last minute as a result of gaffers asking for it. Robin worked overtime and weekends to get it in for you. GuiltTrip.com :p

The touch controls are retrofitted on a codebase that was already creaking at the joints. We're an indie studio punching way above our weight class, so we're learning hard lessons every day.

Velocity Ultra is a fan service release, and therefore had to be lean - we couldn't start again from scratch to support touch flawlessly - but our next project is built on a completely new foundation with AAA level experience in the technical foundation, visual effects and a much higher standard of art.

Exciting times. Bear with us :)

jubber

Neo Member
"Robin worked overtime and weekends to get it in for you"

Indeed - hours poring over the code with a soldering iron to add that feature just for the NeoGaffers, 100 of whom are mentioned on it if you press Triangle. And now I find a NeoGaffer doesn't like the page. I would cry if I had tear ducts. Or recognisable emotions.

I'm going to reprogramme my next door neighbour's car alarm to go off every time he receives a telephone call. This usually cheers me up.

The_Monk

Well guess I'm stuck fellow GAFfers.

I knew I'm not very good at this game but now I need more XP to advance to the other levels. Finished Zone 40 I believe but now I can't proceed to Zone 41 unless I get better at others levels I believe?

I have some Silver and Gold medals. A couple of Bronze ones too on those harder levels because it was the best I could do, but that's it. I want to continue it...

Number45

I've managed to get quite a number of bronze medals and I've continued past level 40 - how are you with the stripes? I've been going for rescues over speed so that might account for the difference.

The_Monk

Maybe I should check how many stripes I've been getting.

Right now my XP is 4110 at Zone 40.

I need 4250 XP for Zone 41.

DBT85

Maybe I should check how many stripes I've been getting.

Right now my XP is 4110 at Zone 40.

I need 4250 XP for Zone 41.

You want those nice gold 3 stripe medals a once you've got those then you can try later for Perfect runs and Elite scores.

I've only finished the first 15 levels but I have 2245 xp. I have 9 ticks on all levels bar 2. I have every level upto and including 33 unlocked as a result.

So you need to complete as fast as possible by using boost as often as you can
Collect every item you can
Destroy every enemy
Collect all the pods

This is a bit easier on the shorter levels for me as when you cock up you don't have as far to go to try again!

Carl

Great to see so many people loving it!

Also, lol Robin :D

FuturLab are too awesome to let me pay for their game so i bought the soundtrack instead.

Andrefpvs

Indeed - hours poring over the code with a soldering iron to add that feature just for the NeoGaffers, 100 of whom are mentioned on it if you press Triangle. And now I find a NeoGaffer doesn't like the page. I would cry if I had tear ducts. Or recognisable emotions.

I'm going to reprogramme my next door neighbour's car alarm to go off every time he receives a telephone call. This usually cheers me up.

<3

Corto

Thank you thank you thank you futurlab. The scoreboard doesn't show my score though and I can't believe only 300 and some change are playing the game. Maybe some issue with server sync? And also loving the updated artstyle. Can't wait what you guys will come up next. And the OST is insta bought. It's the least I can do.

nampad

Always watching ;)

The stats page was crammed in at the last minute as a result of gaffers asking for it. Robin worked overtime and weekends to get it in for you. GuiltTrip.com :p

The touch controls are retrofitted on a codebase that was already creaking at the joints. We're an indie studio punching way above our weight class, so we're learning hard lessons every day.

Velocity Ultra is a fan service release, and therefore had to be lean - we couldn't start again from scratch to support touch flawlessly - but our next project is built on a completely new foundation with AAA level experience in the technical foundation, visual effects and a much higher standard of art.

Exciting times. Bear with us :)

2013-05-17-115503zpuug.jpg
for reading our feedback. That guilt trip worked, now I feel bad.

I understand that it wasn't easy. Still don't like it, sorry :/
At least I can reassure you that I enjoy your games, this is the fifth one I own. Please don't patch me out of your game or villainise me in the next one :)

wiggleb0t

Banned
Wow! Thanks again to the Developers of this game and ps+ from keeping my wallet off life support.

Love shmups with quirks offering something new.
You guys rock & keep on rocking!

lowrider007

Licorice-flavoured booze?
This is honestly probably one of my favorite games on the Vita right now, only just downloaded it today, didn't realize it was free for PS+ members, looks stunning on the Vita's screen, and such an amazing soundtrack, this game has to be played using IEMs or similar, this is probably going to be a weird comparison but the boast mechanic of this game reminds me of Burnout in the sense that you just want to hammer it all the time taking ridiculous chances, that combined with the awesome music you get the same sort of emotional feedback which is great, probably why the 'speed run' zones are my favorite, such a rush.

Amazing game.

Empty

this is so slick and fun. god. i played a lot of the minis version just last year so i wasn't sure how much i'd get out of it replaying, but it's hooking me all over again as the game design fundamentals are so strong. the frenetic pace, the fun in the teleport and bomb throwing mechanics, the way the level design gets the most out of all its ideas, how each level is so packed and focused. it's just relentlessly good.

while i'd still rather see a sequel than a remake i'm glad it's a full vita game, it's way too good to be stuck in the minis ghetto. like genuinely one of the best games in the last few years. i hope it gets the recognition it deserves now.

Footos22

Heads up for those of you after the Plat.

Its bugged and the ripley trophy is impossible to get at the moment
luckily i seen this before i finished up.

Luckily they have already identified the bug and now just have to wait for that patch.
will hold off of my last couple of in game awards for now incase it doesnt retroactively unlock.

Edit: Everything now done bar 1 more long form teleport and the plat is mine. Damn bug. *:(

Great game by the way. My game of the year so far. Either this or gucamelee. Anyway

Number45

Got stuck at zone 42 initially, so I went back to the beginning and perfected all of the zones up to that point. Now cleared up to zone 44 but stopped when I saw the name of the zone and the bug mentioned.

I fucking LOVE this game.

nampad

Can you guys elaborate on the bug? What does it do? Finished up to Zone 40 now so I guess I should pause?
Have to say that I like the touchscreen teleport, didn't they say they disliked it and kept it because of fan feedback? Glad it is still in the game.

BTW Futurlab, while you are reading this, please patch up your PSM games. The loading times are horrendous.

Footos22

Heh yeah, i keep getting up to the green ones then fucking up the timing, it's aggravating as hell >.<

Green gate 7 got me a few times. prob cos of nerves at about to do it perfectly

Has anyone dabbled in the extra missions? Those "don't touch the sides" ones are hard. :(

Yeah finished them all. Some of them were quite tough. The hitbox for your ship seems to be a bit odd to me.
the red zone ones were harder.
Blue ones i finished with loads of time left.

Again its all muscle memory just keep playing you fly through them in no time.

Also the bug just affects the unlocking of the Ripley trophy.

I've left it so i only have to do one more telepod teleport for that medal just incase it doesnt unlock after they patch it.

jubber

Neo Member
Hi there - we've had a look at the collision for the red and blue missions - it will be a lot fairer for the patch than the current or PSP version. Similarly we're trying to make sure the missing trophy will trigger for people who have already played the game (assuming they should have it)

Cheers,

Robin Jubber, Velocity Programmer, May 2013

Skyzard

Banned
Hi there - we've had a look at the collision for the red and blue missions - it will be a lot fairer for the patch than the current or PSP version. Similarly we're trying to make sure the missing trophy will trigger for people who have already played the game (assuming they should have it)

Cheers,

Oh wow thanks for posting here, do you know if there is any chance we'll get DLC for this game? Perhaps level packs?

recurv

Neo Member
BTW Futurlab, while you are reading this, please patch up your PSM games. The loading times are horrendous.

We will get around to doing this, but our focus right now is getting the trophy bug in Velocity Ultra sorted and patched asap.

jiggles

Banned

Cheers,

Sweet. You guys have been great to respond to my questions about the collision detection on Twitter and to be working on a fix so soon. Awesome customer support.

So, I guess what I'm trying to say is

Footos22

Cheers,

Wow, good stuff!
It did feel off. I managed to do them without too many problems but i'm sure there will be people for whom it will throw them off completely.

Number45

Yeah, I suck at these kinds of thing so I assumed it was just me being stupid and adjusted accordingly. Might hold off on that for the patch, I need an excuse to get back to SS anyway. :)

wouwie

I think there is a bug somewhere with the times for bronze/silver/gold in a certain zone. I don't have my vita with me now but i think that the silver time is shorter than the gold time. It resulted in me having a bronze perfect medal or something like that. Should check tonight. It was around zone 18 - 25 iirc.

Also, i'm puzzled by how to achieve some of the scores needed for perfect gold. There's this one level (18 or there about) which i have done countless times, destroying all enemies but i still don't manage to get the score required for gold. Is there any other criterium to achieve higher points than destryong all enemies?

Respect to those that have perfected all zones already. I don't think i'll ever manage that...

jubber

Neo Member
Hi there - to get a perfect medal you need to get a gold time, all the survivors and tons of points - all without losing a single life. Sometimes getting points involves shooting almost everything. Picking up survivors and weapon boosts left behind by alien waves counts towards points, as do health packs and other pick ups. It's the not-losing-a-life thing that sometimes catches people out

Cheers,

P.S. Hi there Jigglywiggly! We're chuffed at all the twitter and forum responses and we're trying to get lots of things sorted for the patch and US versions based on what you chaps are saying about the game. Everything from bonus collision to making the minesweeper graphics high res - this is important stuff!

RpgN

Hi there - to get a perfect medal you need to get a gold time, all the survivors and tons of points - all without losing a single life. Sometimes getting points involves shooting almost everything. Picking up survivors and weapon boosts left behind by alien waves counts towards points, as do health packs and other pick ups. It's the not-losing-a-life thing that sometimes catches people out

Cheers,

P.S. Hi there Jigglywiggly! We're chuffed at all the twitter and forum responses and we're trying to get lots of things sorted for the patch and US versions based on what you chaps are saying about the game. Everything from bonus collision to making the minesweeper graphics high res - this is important stuff!

When do you think this patch will be up?

Number45

Also, i'm puzzled by how to achieve some of the scores needed for perfect gold. There's this one level (18 or there about) which i have done countless times, destroying all enemies but i still don't manage to get the score required for gold. Is there any other criterium to achieve higher points than destryong all enemies?
The thing that's not obvious as has been mentioned is the points. You need to destroy everything, and pick up anything that you can that's left in their wake. Speed/survivors is obvious. :)

Respect to those that have perfected all zones already. I don't think i'll ever manage that...
I honestly thought I'd struggle, but going back through them one at a time it's not too bad. For the most part the levels are short enough that you can almost muscle memory them - I know I did for the critical path zones. Each time perfecting a little bit further until eventually you nail everything in one run.

I find the hardest part finding all of the survivors in the later levels, where unlocking switches also unlocks little sections earlier in the level. Use your map often.

Top Bottom