• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Velocity Ultra |OT| High speed PSVita gaming - Show Thumb Respect

Footos22

Just default controls.

Never changed any control options.

i tried touch teleport but felt it took me out of "the zone" if you know what i mean.

crispyben

Just default controls.

Never changed any control options.

i tried touch teleport but felt it took me out of "the zone" if you know what i mean.
I see what you mean. That's weird about the bombs, I don't remember changing anything either... I think I saw somebody from FuturLab saying O+direction was the superior method, but I can't throw a single one like that, and Options onlu offer to toggle the touch teleport and left stick usage/

Footos22

I see what you mean. That's weird about the bombs, I don't remember changing anything either... I think I saw somebody from FuturLab saying O+direction was the superior method, but I can't throw a single one like that, and Options onlu offer to toggle the touch teleport and left stick usage/

Strange you can't throw bombs with O
i cant do it any other way. the less times i have to move my right thumb the better.

Number45

Both bomb options are definitely enabled by default (I don't think you can disable either method).

As for touch teleport, I actually had to disable the touch to stop me from teleporting accidentally. So square button all the way!

crispyben

Strange you can't throw bombs with O
i cant do it any other way. the less times i have to move my right thumb the better.

Both bomb options are definitely enabled by default (I don't think you can disable either method).

As for touch teleport, I actually had to disable the touch to stop me from teleporting accidentally. So square button all the way!
OK, I must be doing it wrong then... Press O then a direction?

Footos22

So if you're moving your ship one way, then you can't shoot a bomb in the opposite direction? It seems like it would be less efficient than RS, but I'll give it another try tonight.

No just a quick flick.

Ship stops moving for about a 100th of a second.

Works well.

Managed to platinum it just using that method. switching from teleporting on square to moving down to the right stick to launch a bomb sounds annoying.

crispyben

No just a quick flick.

Ship stops moving for about a 100th of a second.

Works well.

Managed to platinum it just using that method. switching from teleporting on square to moving down to the right stick to launch a bomb sounds annoying.
When you put it that way... If I can't perfect the last 4 zones, I can always try it the other way, though reprogramming my brain and hands might take a while :)

Number45

I switched to the right stick about half way through the game and managed to get the platinum without any real fuss, so both are viable. I didn't manage to get any elite lounge entries though... but that's probably just because I'm crap.

crispyben

I switched to the right stick about half way through the game and managed to get the platinum without any real fuss, so both are viable. I didn't manage to get any elite lounge entries though... but that's probably just because I'm crap.
About that, I don't think I was able to get the leaderboards to function correctly. They often take very long to load, yet are mostly empty...

crispyben

Alright, only Zone 50 stands between me and a load of Silver and Gold trophies... Any tips for perfecting that sucker? I guess it's all in the muscle memory, maybe I could start by learning to reliably throw bombs left and right in quick succession :p Number45 and De4th Strike, get in here!

DBT85

I got through and got the We Dont NEed Trains trophy. Need to perfect about 15 levels I think.

Such a good game.

Carl

Completely forgot to post it here but there's a US release date for VU (and Coconut Dodge too)

They'll both be out on the 9th of July!

web01

Did the last patch introduce a new visual glitch.

Whenever I use the charge up circle button attack when it hits anything the entire level graphics blink off then back on for a second.

DBT85

I posted this on twitter the other day and I think it's fairly accurate.

Trying to get Perfect on lvl 50 is like trying to get 147 in Snooker in 2 minutes using only a chopstick for a cue.

I now have perfect on all Critical Urgency missions though. Need to start going through the other missions from about 35 to 50 to finish them off.

Really is a great feeling when you get into that zone and its just zoom, teleport, teleport, bomb, bomb, teleport, bomb, teleport, shoot shoot, bomb, teleport.

Then you get 95% of the way through a level and cock something up. RAAAAAAAGggggggeeeeeeee!

Number45

Weirdly, I think I struggled more on zone 25 than I did on any of the subsequent zones. I think I spent so much time in that zone perfecting my method for the critical zones that it made the others seem easy in comparison.

Zone 50 didn't give me any major trouble at all.

Carl

I posted this on twitter the other day and I think it's fairly accurate.

Trying to get Perfect on lvl 50 is like trying to get 147 in Snooker in 2 minutes using only a chopstick for a cue.

I now have perfect on all Critical Urgency missions though. Need to start going through the other missions from about 35 to 50 to finish them off.

Really is a great feeling when you get into that zone and its just zoom, teleport, teleport, bomb, bomb, teleport, bomb, teleport, shoot shoot, bomb, teleport.

Then you get 95% of the way through a level and cock something up. RAAAAAAAGggggggeeeeeeee!

50 is the only one i have left to perfect and i can't do it at all xD

nampad

Just finished the game.
Trophies still seem to be buggy after the patch? Haven't gotten the one for saving every survivor and I definitely got everyone :(
It was the only thing I really tried to do because I can't leave someone behind.
How can I unlock the trophy?

Just finished the game.
Trophies still seem to be buggy after the patch? Haven't gotten the one for saving every survivor and I definitely got everyone :(
It was the only thing I really tried to do because I can't leave someone behind.
How can I unlock the trophy?

I would suggest going through another level, mine didnt pop when i got all of them but it popped randomly during my next game on a different level.

Carl

Took ages. Trying to do lvl 48 but damn is it long. Only need to get 3 more survivors on that to get that particular trophy.

I had a lot of trouble with that one too. Some of them are rage inducing. Especially the later ones with long-form teleports and stuff. Argh!

DBT85

The Sixth Axis talks about the development of Velocity.

http://www.thesixthaxis.com/2013/07/02/on-velocity/

“Being on PS+ has been great for us,” Marsden told me back in 2012. “As a relatively unknown studio with limited (zero) marketing budget, we’d have found it very hard to achieve an install base of 100,000 units and more, but with Plus we achieved that in just over a fortnight. The word now appears to be spreading, and gamers have also discovered our previous title Coconut Dodge, which has seen a significant sales boost!”

But was an Ultra, Vita always on the cards? Not for Sony. “Sony actually turned Velocity down three times at various stages of production when we tried to pitch it for PS Vita,” Marsden admitted.

“We then applied for the Pub Fund, again for PS Vita, and were turned down. Eventually we managed to secure a PlayStation Plus deal for PS Minis, but this is not where the game should have been. However, once the game was released, and the big review scores and interesting articles started popping up, Sony invited us back and made us an offer!”

DBT85

I never used the touch screen teleport btw, I think the button and stick method works best.

I do use bombs on the right stick though, James will not be pleased.

Carl

I've been checking every week, very glad to finally get to play this :)

Yeah, so glad you guys finally get to play it! You're in for a treat!

I never used the touch screen teleport btw, I think the button and stick method works best.

I do use bombs on the right stick though, James will not be pleased.

I never used touch teleport, but i used right stick bombs too. It's so useful and far quicker than circle. James said it's useless in later levels but i found it even easier in later levels :p

OmegaZero

How do you get high scores?
I've been playing through Zone 6 collecting all of the survivors, killing all of the enemies, and finishing 30 seconds faster than the Gold time but my score still isn't high enough to be "perfect". :<

EDIT: Just got a perfect somehow. No idea how I did it. >_>

Edgeward

I love touch support for teleporting. Much faster especially when I need to make diagonal maneuvers, no longer do I fly there I just teleport.

Never noticed stick support for bombs. That's way better than movement + O. I won't be flying into enemy bullets now.

DBT85

How do you get high scores?
I've been playing through Zone 6 collecting all of the survivors, killing all of the enemies, and finishing 30 seconds faster than the Gold time but my score still isn't high enough to be "perfect". :<

EDIT: Just got a perfect somehow. No idea how I did it. >_>

You get high scores by blowing up enemies, collecting life pods, collecting bonus' for killing every enemy in a wave.

There are so some hidden sections on some levels typically off to one side. If you press L it'll bring up a map and you might be able to see them.

As for a "perfect" get to the end of the level without losing a life, getting all life pods, getting a high enough score and beating the time. I have 10 levels left to perfect.

Regarding touch to teleport, I think you might struggle with some of the later levels using it. Some paths are tighter than a nuns chuff and you have to hold R for the entire level to get the perfect.

Footos22

Get used to using the stick method. It's far superior. Muscle memory will guide you like the force.You'll soon find out when you get to level 50. Touch teleport requires you to spend precious split seconds readjusting. From stick to buttons.

crispyben

Get used to using the stick method. It's far superior. Muscle memory will guide you like the force.You'll soon find out when you get to level 50. Touch teleport requires you to spend precious split seconds readjusting. From stick to buttons.
This man speaks the truth. I valiantly conquered the Platinum trophy using that same technique!

Top Bottom