• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.
puebla said:
does anybody know anything about an update for the wi-fi problems the phone has?? i looove this phone but not being able to connect to wi-fi kind of sucks. i have my ssid and wep key and it just can't connect.
Try different settings on the router. Otherwise, get it replaced, it's likely not normal. However, network issues are difficult to diagnose.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
I have wifi issues as well, it will connect, but then randomly drop web access even when my PC is still connected. I assume it is an issue with some phones that will be fixed through an update.

puebla

Deadly Cyclone said:
I have wifi issues as well, it will connect, but then randomly drop web access even when my PC is still connected. I assume it is an issue with some phones that will be fixed through an update.
suppposedly, there was already an update but it didn't fix anything. http://nexus404.com/Blog/2010/07/22/droid-x-owners-report-wi-fi-troubles-owners-of-verizons-droid-x-phone-unable-to-connect-to-wi-fi-latest-update-doesnt-fix-anything/

i suck at networking so i'm not even going to try to play around with my router. hopefully motorola/verizon can fix this soon.

I've had wifi issues with my X. I can connect to my router just fine, and often it works for awhile, but then it just randomly drops. The little indicator still says I have a strong connection but Internet just suddenly stops working. Disabling and re-enabling wifi makes it work again but it's annoying. My router uses 802.11n and WPA2-AES only.

puebla

for people having probs with wifi, call up tech support. they made me do a factory reset but my wifi works now. it took a while but it works.

Unknown Soldier said:
I've had wifi issues with my X. I can connect to my router just fine, and often it works for awhile, but then it just randomly drops. The little indicator still says I have a strong connection but Internet just suddenly stops working. Disabling and re-enabling wifi makes it work again but it's annoying. My router uses 802.11n and WPA2-AES only.

I'm thinking it is a problem with your phones. I had this same exact problem with my original Droid. I changed several settings on my router (disabling upnp, changing addressing scheme, etc) and never fixed it. I called Verizon, who directed me to Motorola for wifi help and the foreign rep I spoke with could barely comprehend my question, let alone fix it.

Anyway, I've had my DX connected to wifi since the day I got it... no issues whatsoever. My wife has my original Droid and still it has the problem.

Einbroch

Banned
Ugghhh this thread is messing with my head. I thought I wanted the Droid 2, but now I'm leaning towards the Droid X. I have until Tuesday to decide!

Gallbaro

Banned
Einbroch said:
Ugghhh this thread is messing with my head. I thought I wanted the Droid 2, but now I'm leaning towards the Droid X. I have until Tuesday to decide!

I thought I would miss the keyboard.

But Swipe is awesome.

Einbroch

Banned
Gallbaro said:
I thought I would miss the keyboard.

But Swipe is awesome.
That's my main concern. I text a lot, so I'm scared to not have that physical keyboard. But the screen is so pretty...

puebla

Einbroch said:
That's my main concern. I text a lot, so I'm scared to not have that physical keyboard. But the screen is so pretty...
get the droid x, your friends will be impressed ;)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
dropped my phone today. pretty big drop onto the pavement and impressed by how well it held up, just a couple barely-noticeable nicks on the back. also got my extended battery, which i'm pretty stoked about

scoobs

AstroLad said:
dropped my phone today. pretty big drop onto the pavement and impressed by how well it held up, just a couple barely-noticeable nicks on the back. also got my extended battery, which i'm pretty stoked about
I don't understand why you'd need the extended battery... based on my experience i can use it all day long and only need to charge while i sleep.

phalestine

aka iby.h
scoobs said:
I don't understand why you'd need the extended battery... based on my experience i can use it all day long and only need to charge while i sleep.

When I used my GPS to orlando (2 hour drive) the phone lasted about 6 hours. which is not bad, but thats just one reason why youd need an extended battery :)

Astro, is the extended battery the same size as the factory installed one? or does it give the phone a new bump on the back?

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
phalestine said:
When I used my GPS to orlando (2 hour drive) the phone lasted about 6 hours. which is not bad, but thats just one reason why youd need an extended battery :)

Astro, is the extended battery the same size as the factory installed one? or does it give the phone a new bump on the back?
Yeah, it's a very slight bump and a bit heavier. Pretty unnoticeable to me. As far as needing an extended battery, the phone just sucks juice at times. The GPS sure (and I use it while walking or using mass transit too) but just using it for extended periods, such as for the Kindle app. I'm still using my Touch for Kindle reading because of the drain issues with the X, which is just silly. There are also tons of other little apps that I want to use more often without having to curb my usage due to getting low in juice. Extended battery is all pluses and no minuses for me.

bathala

Banned
striKeVillain! said:
Fuck Froyo, I want a Seidio Active case! :D
Would have jump on seidio too, but after taking off my cover going commando feels good. The slimness feels good on my hand.

Also stealth guard was giving away free full body kits. :D

Einbroch

Banned
I called Verizon today and told them that I wanted to upgrade early. My new every two wasn't until November 11th, but I told them that I really wanted a Droid X. After a minute of asking if there was anything they could do...they did it!

Ordered my Droid X, should ship on August 31st. SO EXCITED DAMN THIS WAIT. This will be my first smartphone, and in fact will be replacing this dinosaur:

lg_vx8300.jpg

I'm sure I'll be a little overwhelmed, but fuck it. It's time for an upgrade.

phalestine

aka iby.h
AstroLad said:
Yeah, it's a very slight bump and a bit heavier. Pretty unnoticeable to me. As far as needing an extended battery, the phone just sucks juice at times. The GPS sure (and I use it while walking or using mass transit too) but just using it for extended periods, such as for the Kindle app. I'm still using my Touch for Kindle reading because of the drain issues with the X, which is just silly. There are also tons of other little apps that I want to use more often without having to curb my usage due to getting low in juice. Extended battery is all pluses and no minuses for me.

ahh, damn. I can get the extended battery with my work discount for 26 bucks, but I already have a case for the phone, so ill just stick with the factory one for now.

phalestine said:
ahh, damn. I can get the extended battery with my work discount for 26 bucks, but I already have a case for the phone, so ill just stick with the factory one for now.

The bump the extended battery adds is so small that pretty much everyone can make their existing cases fit over it unless they have a hard-shell case. I picked up the extended battery as well, I think it adds about ~1 mm to the thickness. It makes me wonder why Motorola didn't go with this battery size to begin with since the difference is so small and the camera hump is so much bigger.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Unknown Soldier said:
The bump the extended battery adds is so small that pretty much everyone can make their existing cases fit over it unless they have a hard-shell case. I picked up the extended battery as well, I think it adds about ~1 mm to the thickness. It makes me wonder why Motorola didn't go with this battery size to begin with since the difference is so small and the camera hump is so much bigger.

its what I have.

womp

scoobs said:
Just how much longer is the extended battery supposed to last?

Still trying to figure that out since I've only had it a few days, however, being someone who on my phone all the time (And less on a PC) I want all the power I can get.

Right off the bat early estimates have given me 12 hrs with 60% battery remaining. That isn't from a little bit of casual usage either. I'm very happy with it. :)

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
scoobs said:
Just how much longer is the extended battery supposed to last?
on the droid forums i saw something like 15% or so. so not groundbreaking but pretty good if you often find yourself a few hours short on juice

Alucrid said:
So, can anyone give me a quick rundown of what Froyo is exactly?

Froyo ("Frozen Yogurt") is the internal name for Android 2.2. All versions of Android are internally named after sweet desserts of some kind. The current version of Android on Droid X is 2.1 ("Eclair").

Froyo adds a new Java virtual machine (the "Dalvik" machine) which makes everything run over 9000 times faster according to most benchmarks. The people who already have Froyo on their phones, such as Droid 1 owners, report things going much faster than they were on Eclair. Droid 2 has Froyo on it by default so you can go in a Verizon store and play with the Droid 2 on display and compare it to your X for a rough comparison of performance improvement.

phalestine

aka iby.h
Alucrid said:
So, can anyone give me a quick rundown of what Froyo is exactly?

Froyo -
Flash Support
Fasted mobile browser to date (havent tested it myself) and just a faster phone over all.
Android Market now has a Update all button

There might be a few more other features that I cant think of. I know froyo allows internet tethering, but I have no idea if Verizon will allow it.

womp

viakado said:
Nice. Will it be rooted soon after release?
It is a leaked Froyo that seems to be based off the dev version. It will be released at 9am this morning and is prerooted. :)

You will need to already be rooted and have stock apps installed.

KiKaL

Is that site just getting slammed now because of the Froyo release? It's 9pm Est but not sure if that's what time zone they're in.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Deadly Cyclone said:
Froyo changes the unlock buttons? Does it change the one on the right to vibrate? That would be awesome.
fwiw you can do this in widgetlocker (along with lots of other shortcuts). first thing i did

womp said:
It is a leaked Froyo that seems to be based off the dev version. It will be released at 9am this morning and is prerooted. :)

You will need to already be rooted and have stock apps installed.
prerooted? nice.
so how do i fall back to original apps?
also, i heard 2.2 will have wifi tethering. is this true for the droidX?

Verizon has purposely removed the "official" WiFi Tether and replaced it with their $20/month app, if Droid 2 is any indication (and it probably is). However since this Froyo is pre-rooted, you can re-install the official one and nuke the Verizon one, and all will be right with the world.

The Droid X Froyo leak has been released, as promised. I don't know if it's okay to link something like that here, so I won't. I'm going to try it later today.

KiKaL

I'm running Froyo and so far so good. It looks like your actually able to install it with or without a rooted phone. The advantage of doing with a rooted phone is that you will have a rooted Froyo phone. Where as doing it with a non-rooted phone will result in a non-rooted Froyo install.

KiKaL said:
I'm running Froyo and so far so good. It looks like your actually able to install it with or without a rooted phone. The advantage of doing with a rooted phone is that you will have a rooted Froyo phone. Where as doing it with a non-rooted phone will result in a non-rooted Froyo install.
wasn't there an app to quickly root a droid x?

KiKaL

viakado said:
wasn't there an app to quickly root a droid x?

Yeah I believe so, I haven't used it myself because it only works on Windows and I'm currently on a Mac. Looking at the program it looks like you root/unroot your droid at the click of a button. I'm not sure if that method works with 2.2 though.

Paznos

You don't need to be rooted but if you want to keep your root with Froyo you have to do additional steps.

Loving Froyo so far!

KiKaL said:
Yeah I believe so, I haven't used it myself because it only works on Windows and I'm currently on a Mac. Looking at the program it looks like you root/unroot your droid at the click of a button. I'm not sure if that method works with 2.2 though.
link?
thank you.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom