• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Wow, you don't have to be rooted? Nice.

The X I have now is being replaced whenever Best Buy gets more in, dead pixels. So I can at least try out Froyo.

Edit: Is there not just an option to return the phone to stock? I am not rooted.

nevermind. found it.
http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&t=553
r6Ofs.png

Paznos

Aren't you already stock if you aren't rooted? since you have to be rooted to apply themes or remove the bloatware.

_dementia said:
Sup Droid-GAF. On the fence about buying a Droid X. Tip me over the edge.
Okay, DO IT!!!!!!!!:D

Einbroch

Banned
_dementia said:
Well, if you want one, read the thread. If you don't, leave now.

They convinced me to pick one up. The wait for delivery is killing me, though.

Deadly Cyclone said:
What is an easy way to get an unrooted phone back to stock? The instructions at that link are more for rooting.
try this.
http://alldroid.org/Default.aspx?tabid=40&g=posts&m=7422#post7422

_dementia said:
my droid X made all of the iphone bots here at work green with envy.

"omg, its so big"

"HD camcorder? damn, i could use that in the bedroom"

some of the responses i've been getting.

KiKaL

_dementia said:

I'm super happy with mine so far. I personally was debating between this and an iPhone. After messing around on a Droid X and then going back to my iPod touch It just felt very dated to me compared to what I saw I could do with the android interface. Personally the large size is not an issue for me. I would recommend it if your looking for a fully touch based phone. If you have to have a keyboard then check out the Droid 2.

viakado said:
my droid X made all of the iphone bots here at work green with envy.

"omg, its so big"

"HD camcorder? damn, i could use that in the bedroom"

some of the responses i've been getting.
heh, awesome :lol

and thanks for the responses dudes!
the only reason I want the iphone at this point is because Cave are exclusive to them :/

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm trying to do the unrooted Froyo update and it says hold the home and power button, when I do this the only thing that pops up are the normal power down options (airplane mode, power off, Silent mode).

Any suggestions?

KiKaL

You need to power the phone off and then push "Home + Lock" once you get the little triangle and android guy release the lock then home button and then push the search button.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Aha, thanks.

In progress.

If i have this installed, when Froyo comes out to all will I still be prompted for an update? I would like to have the official version.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Aha, thanks.

In progress.

If i have this installed, when Froyo comes out to all will I still be prompted for an update? I would like to have the official version.
I was wondering this also. I am very much on the verge of rocking this froyo up date lol.

KiKaL

I haven't found an exact answer but I "think" you should be okay. I believe if you can't just update to it since this is a leak of an official version of Froyo that you can return to 2.1 using a SBF.

womp

I love Verizon in terms of their great service but including Verizon Navigator on a Droid?

For real Verizon?

:lol

I've also been looking into buying the X and switching to Verizon, but I'm not sure whether or not I should pick up. The X, Incredible, or Droid 2. They all look pretty much identical except for the X's screen and media/video ability.

Devil Theory said:
I've also been looking into buying the X and switching to Verizon, but I'm not sure whether or not I should pick up the X, Incredible, or Droid 2. They all look pretty much identical except for the X's screen and media/video ability.
Not sure if you care but the Droid 2 having a physical keyboard would also be something to consider.

womp

Devil Theory said:
I've also been looking into buying the X and switching to Verizon, but I'm not sure whether or not I should pick up the X, Incredible, or Droid 2. They all look pretty much identical except for the X's screen and media/video ability.
As someone who has experienced them all...the X all the way. Unless you demand a physical keyboard. Even thinking outside the software nothing can beat Motorola's build quality.

Unknown Soldier said:
I have been Froyo'd!

[Morpheus]WELCOME...TO THE REAL WORLD.[/Morpheus]

did you do the manual update described above? is there any reason to NOT do it? in other words, am I better off waiting until the official release? whenever that is...

bathala

Banned
didn't know that removing bloatware from root will bring so much pain in the ass later on...

Status 7 ERROR

but after careful inspection of the error it was just looking for the bloatwares. restored them one by one.

FROYO!

Superblatt said:
did you do the manual update described above? is there any reason to NOT do it? in other words, am I better off waiting until the official release? whenever that is...

Well, the biggest reason NOT to do is that we don't know if you will be able to seamlessly update from the leaked Froyo to the official one in September. Looking at the way Android OS updates, I don't see why it couldn't, but no one will really know until it is actually released.

The browser is really fast now, and it supports Flash too! I was able to play Youtube videos from the Youtube desktop website for the very first time! Using the Flash plugin to play it back from the embedded video on the page, not redirecting to the app!

bathala said:
Also noticed that Quick Office is finally installed
Quadrant Score: 1272 (2.1) to 1365 (2.2)

You want to make your Quadrant score 2000+, do this:
http://androidforums.com/all-things...how-get-2000-quadrent-benchmarks-w-froyo.html

You need to be rooted, and it's easiest with Root Explorer. This app is the best app ever for screwing with rooted devices and you should pay for it. If you don't, you are a bad person and you should feel bad. :lol

Note that if you enable Stage Fright, you will lose the ability to playback videos recorded with the phone's camcorder function (.3gp) using the stock video player. That's probably why Motorola disabled Stage Fright even though it makes playback of supported video types a lot faster. You can still playback .3gp with a 3rd party app.

Alucrid

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
Froyo ("Frozen Yogurt") is the internal name for Android 2.2. All versions of Android are internally named after sweet desserts of some kind. The current version of Android on Droid X is 2.1 ("Eclair").

Froyo adds a new Java virtual machine (the "Dalvik" machine) which makes everything run over 9000 times faster according to most benchmarks. The people who already have Froyo on their phones, such as Droid 1 owners, report things going much faster than they were on Eclair. Droid 2 has Froyo on it by default so you can go in a Verizon store and play with the Droid 2 on display and compare it to your X for a rough comparison of performance improvement.

phalestine said:
Froyo -
Flash Support
Fasted mobile browser to date (havent tested it myself) and just a faster phone over all.
Android Market now has a Update all button

There might be a few more other features that I cant think of. I know froyo allows internet tethering, but I have no idea if Verizon will allow it.

Awesome, thanks for the info. Now I have another question, what am I missing out of if I don't root my phone?

bathala

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
You want to make your Quadrant score 2000+, do this:
http://androidforums.com/all-things...how-get-2000-quadrent-benchmarks-w-froyo.html

You need to be rooted, and it's easiest with Root Explorer. This app is the best app ever for screwing with rooted devices and you should pay for it. If you don't, you are a bad person and you should feel bad. :lol

Note that if you enable Stage Fright, you will lose the ability to playback videos recorded with the phone's camcorder function (.3gp) using the stock video player. That's probably why Motorola disabled Stage Fright even though it makes playback of supported video types a lot faster. You can still playback .3gp with a 3rd party app.
yeah saw that, but isn't that its just duping the stat.

Any one with Froyo having trouble accessing the Market

EDIT: nvm Market is working again

ok, i've rooted my 2.1 droid that simple program.
and im ready for some frozen yogurt sexiness, but before i do, i know i have to restore all stock apps. The only apps ive downloaded is beautiful home and launcher pro, and i haven't uninstalled anything.
does this mean i can bypass this step and jump to installing froyo, or do i still have to go through the process of returning everything back to stock?

viakado said:
ok, i've rooted my 2.1 droid that simple program.
and im ready for some frozen yogurt sexiness, but before i do, i know i have to restore all stock apps. The only apps ive downloaded is beautiful home and launcher pro, and i haven't uninstalled anything.
does this mean i can bypass this step and jump to installing froyo, or do i still have to go through the process of returning everything back to stock?

You can proceed directly to Go and collect $200 the upgrade. Returning to stock only applies if you were already rooted and did things like uninstall bloatware that normally can't be uninstalled or installed custom themes.

bathala said:
yeah saw that, but isn't that its just duping the stat.

It's not, Stage Fright really is that much faster than OpenCore at decoding video. However enabling Stage Fright tends to screw a lot of things up, people are complaining all over the place about how their streaming audio apps no longer work or have bad audio quality now if they've updated to a 2.2 ROM. Google made the changeover and assumed all the app developers were keeping up, and well they weren't. This is probably also why Motorola disables it by default, in addition to the fact that it doesn't play .3gp.

The biggest fail of Stage Fright is that it only accelerates playback of videos which already played fine to begin with. One fun thing you can do is take any old 720p game trailer from PSN, I used the Deus Ex Human Revolution trailer. Copy it off your PS3 to a flash drive and stick it in your PC, it plays fine. Then stick it on your X and the phones shits a brick. Those trailers use H.264 High Profile and the stock player of Android will look at it and just refuse to play it, if you use RockPlayer instead you don't get any speed increases because RockPlayer uses it's own decoder.

Come on Google, throw us a frickin' bone here! :lol

womp

Alucrid said:
Awesome, thanks for the info. Now I have another question, what am I missing out of if I don't root my phone?

At the minimum, apps that allow ad blocking (Browser and in app advertising) and WiFi tethering are the biggest for me.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Yeah the tethering thing is a big deal. Verizon is moronic. $20/month is fucking insane. But then again this is a company that tries to charge $2-3/month for access to an area-code database that very rarely changes.

Malleymal

You now belong to FMT.
Sorry to rain on this x party but I have a friend with an incredible. Can he get froyo now if he wanted to and is it easy to do? I have an iPhone and know nothing about rooting and all that android talk... Thanks guys

Just to let you guys know, I made the switch from ATT and ordered an X.

They said I should have it around September 7th.

The wait is murder.

Devil Theory said:
Just to let you guys know, I made the switch from ATT and ordered an X.

They said I should have it around September 7th.

The wait is murder.

Verizon is soooo much better than AT&T in my experience. Android is more fun and fresh and fun than AT&T's offerings.

Be excited, it's really great.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Malleymal said:
Sorry to rain on this x party but I have a friend with an incredible. Can he get froyo now if he wanted to and is it easy to do? I have an iPhone and know nothing about rooting and all that android talk... Thanks guys

The Incredible is actually supposed to be getting Froyo tomorrow, so I would just wait a bit and see if he gets it officially.

bathala

Banned
Unknown Soldier said:
The app which enables universal HDMI output is now available! Search the Market for 'HDMI'.

edit:

Creator's thread is here: http://www.droidxforums.com/forum/droid-x-apps/5111-real-hdmi-control-hdmi-port-your-droid-x.html
this great gonna check it out.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Where can you get decent extended batteries for the X? Looking for one bigger than the official Verizon one to take to PAX.
check out the seidio 1750.
3500 is still under development

http://www.seidioonline.com/category-s/4358.htm

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom