• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Well after reading multiple Droid threads I committed to purchasing this one (The extra $50 off helped :D)

I should be getting it in 2 weeks!

shadowsdarknes said:
I went to the Verizon Store today and saw it. Wow that is one sexy phone. I'm dying to have it.
Unfortunately, I just cannot justify the 30 dollar a month data plan. As much as I'd use the phone to change my life, I just cannot pay 360 dollars a year for it.

Being a broke college kid sucks. :(

Verizon is moving to a tiered plan, but all the reps I've talked to don't know the exact details yet. There still may be hope for you!

Gallbaro

Banned
Arrrrrrrrrgh ha ha ha ha, this is such a marvelous upagrade.

But I am still looking for a good android ebook reader that will let me read off of dropbox.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
bathala said:
58544335_photobucket_1757_.jpg

really liking the battery. some neogaf browsing, pandora, email, rss refresh, and regular music play

dunno if u guys saw the conclusion of that astronaut commercial of DX
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ak73UJgpppQ
are you just using the default browser for gaf? it doesn't seem to size right for me but maybe i'm just spoiled from the gaf iphone app.

i do quite love the screen for the kindle app though. big updgrade

Paznos

AstroLad said:
are you just using the default browser for gaf? it doesn't seem to size right for me but maybe i'm just spoiled from the gaf iphone app.

i do quite love the screen for the kindle app though. big updgrade
how do you mean? the "iphone app" works fine on my Droid X.

seriously, my droid barely survives a full 8hour work day.
hopefully shutting off a lot of my apps/services will drastically improve battery life.

zoku88

viakado said:
seriously, my droid barely survives a full 8hour work day.
hopefully shutting off a lot of my apps/services will drastically improve battery life.
Most of the battery life is taken up by display and then antenna. Try turning down your brightness first, or something.

Sooo sad.......I planned to drop tmobile and go to verizon to get this phone. I called and found out I actually have till 2011 till my contract is up with tmobile :( . So i cant get the phone now.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Deadly Cyclone said:
This one looks nice,
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12200

My battery has been dropping really fast today, only the normal 3 taking up batteries, odd. I am at 50% and it has only been 5 hours.
I got that one; should be arriving today. Been having the same issue with battery. Guess I'm just used to my old flip phone where I could leave it two days without it losing a single bar. This one goes from 100% to 0% if left uncharged for a day (minimal use). I'm going to see if there are any guides re tweaking to get better battery life and honestly probably get the extended battery when it comes out.

Deadly Cyclone said:
This one looks nice,
http://www.verizonwireless.com/b2c/store/accessory?action=accessoryDetails&archetypeId=12200

My battery has been dropping really fast today, only the normal 3 taking up batteries, odd. I am at 50% and it has only been 5 hours.

I have this dock. It's mostly like the official Droid 1 dock (if you can find any info about that), except it has a port for HDMI out.

On the Droid X, the dock software is also a little better. In the screenshot, the darkened part at the bottom of the screen that has the weather on it is scrollable, so you can have multiple "screens" of widgets on there.

The official car dock is much improved though. The Droid 1 car dock had a sort of slide and lock into place style holder for the phone. The new one has this part at the top that flips up to put the phone in and then clamps down on it. Much easier and sturdier feeling.

PhatSaqs

Banned
Phone is sick :D. Found a way to sync Zune pass stuff to it.

1. Hook it up to the computer using USB
2. Select Windows Media Sync as the USB Mode to install the driver.
3. After the driver installs you should see a screen with your Droid X. Select "Manage media on your device" which will open up WMP.
4. Select the subscription folder in WMP where the Zune pass stuff resides and start sync. :D

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Hmm, battery is definitely having issues. Usually I can go from 7:30am to 11:30pm and my battery will only be to about 40%, today it has gone from 7:30am to 2:30pm and it is at 20%.

I don't see any new services running either, wonder why it would all the sudden go crazy.

Ding

krzy123 said:
i think the 20% break is only for the main number + its features (that's how it is for me). If someone knows different, let me know :)
That isn't what the Verizon chat lady told me. She said that my discount would apply to the entire plan (my wife and I) if we reshuffled things and put the primary line under my name. She might be crazy, but that's what she said.

(Right now, my wife is already on a Verizon plan, and I'm on Sprint. If I added myself to her plan, my employee discount could not be used. If I create a new family plan under my name, and move my wife's phone into it, my discount will apply to both of us. Allegedly.)

Ding said:
That isn't what the Verizon chat lady told me. She said that my discount would apply to the entire plan (my wife and I) if we reshuffled things and put the primary line under my name. She might be crazy, but that's what she said.

(Right now, my wife is already on a Verizon plan, and I'm on Sprint. If I added myself to her plan, my employee discount could not be used. If I create a new family plan under my name, and move my wife's phone into it, my discount will apply to both of us. Allegedly.)

We had a Verizon account that was in my name when my wife started working for an employer that had a discount. We had to switch the account to her name to receive the discount. We get a discount on the main plan (we have 700 minutes at 20% off) and any features on the primary line (I have unlimited data and 500 texts at 20% off too). We do not get 20% off the $9.99 access fee or these same features on the secondary line.

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm, battery is definitely having issues. Usually I can go from 7:30am to 11:30pm and my battery will only be to about 40%, today it has gone from 7:30am to 2:30pm and it is at 20%.

I don't see any new services running either, wonder why it would all the sudden go crazy.
i having the same issue today.
it was 100% when i left for work. 3 1/2 hours later, it was around 40% battery and dropping fast. so my co worker told me to use task killer.
I applied it and killed around 20+ apps running in the background and now the battery life is holding steady at 35% since lunch.

btw, how do i activate swype?
when i was killing apps, swype was on the list of apps running in the background.

womp

Welp, I think I got my home screen the way I want it. :D

gu7xp.jpg

May swap back to Google News & Weather as my weather widget though, Fancy Widget seems a bit overkill.

This phone is so bad ass...Love it.

rage1973

womp said:

gu7xp.jpg

May swap back to Google News & Weather as my weather widget though, Fancy Widget seems a bit overkill.

What widget is that to get the battery and memory icons and the connection icons on the top right?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
And what toggle switches? Looks like the ones I have but narrower.

Day 2 of battery woes, it is at 50% now after about 5.5 hours, not sure what is causing it, it just started doing this yesterday. I uninstalled anything that might do it, and no out of the ordinary services are running. Very odd as previous to yesterday it would only be about to 40% after all day (16 hours).

Paznos

Some days the battery life is really awesome and other times it's just ok or above average, I've been unplugged for 5hrs with light use and I'm just at 90%!.

Loving the phone though so awesome.

Alucrid

Banned
Hmm I tried out the headphone jack and when nothings playing I'm getting a bit of cackling. With music on it's not noticeable when music is playing, still got me a bit worried though.

Ok, I tried the CX300 with my ipod, no noise. Then I tried my HD 555s with my Droid X, no noise. The only noticeable difference is that the CX300s have silver plating while the HD 555s have gold.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
When you're on a call how do you set it so that it's totally locked and you're not beeping all the time? Oh, poor person just on the phone with me. :lol

Paznos

2 days without charging(technically it's 1d 23h 14m and 30s but still!!), light to moderate use and I'm at 20% battery life!

Gallbaro

Banned
Anyway to remove the text from below the app icons?

Edit: this is the first phone I have ever owned and not hated after the first week!

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Gallbaro said:
Anyway to remove the text from below the app icons?

Edit: this is the first phone I have ever owned and not hated after the first week!
It's an option in AppLauncher

womp

MSpot is pretty damned cool, cloud based music collection app. Free account gets you 2GB to play with...Upload via PC and snag the app.

scoobs

would really appreciate anyone who could direct me towards a toggle widget like the one above that includes all 4 in 1 (1x4) space. thnx

jonezer4

Mine died today after 10 hours, checked the statistics: display was around 60% of the battery usage and was used for 1 hour total. Does this seem low to anyone? I'm coming from a Motorola Droid and after hearing all the raving about X's battery, I'm definitely surprised to see it not lasting nearly as long as my old one. And it's not because I've been using it any more than my old one, if anything, I've been using it less. I didn't use it for music at all and really did very minimal browsing on it, a couple visits to the app store, no 3g web browsing.

Also, I completely uninstalled facebook so I know the recent facebook bug is not the issue. Using Spare Parts, I've checked and nothing seems to be running excessively in the background.

womp said:

gu7xp.jpg

At first glance I thought you somehow installed Sense UI on your phone.

AVclub

I haven't been keeping up with this thread. Has anyone here actually rooted their X? If so, how's it working for you? Are any of the customizations giving you problems, etc? Do you think it was worth it? I saw there was some universal rooting app released so I was wondering if I should bother.

scoobs

womp said:

gu7xp.jpg

The real question is where did you get that widget for battery/memory???

womp said:

gu7xp.jpg

what clock skin and font is that?

I just got a Droid X too. I'm posting from it now with Swype and I can say it's just about the best thing ever for typing on a phone. I don't know how I ever used any kind of phone physical or soft keyboard before Swype. It's crazy how fast I can type with it. I've been pleased with the battery life as well, with my usage the Battery Left widget reports my estimated lifetime from a full charge to be about 14 hours. I leave Facebook and Engadget open all the time updating too. There are lots of cool apps too. I still haven't found a lightsaber app though. :/

Edit: why doesn't the browser on this phone show animated GIFs with animation? All I see are static images. /frown

womp

basic_element said:
At first glance I thought you somehow installed Sense UI on your phone.

I don't even like Sense UI TBH. I have always used the Google News & Weather widget (Which Motorola for some odd reason didn't include on the X, yet is a part of Android 2.1) and have been flip flopping between it and this lately just for a change.

scoobs said:
The real question is where did you get that widget for battery/memory???

Search for Mini Info in the Marketplace.

NightHawk17 said:
what clock skin and font is that?

Fancy Widget, which was free and is no longer found on the Marketplace because of a cease and desist from HTC.

You can snag it here:

http://www.filestube.com/a478962c7b2f508503e9,g/Fancy-Widget-v1-3-0.html

I've got no patience, as I've got until around Aug 16 until my Droid X arrives. Or, at least that's what the Verizon guy told me when I ordered it last Monday.

Paznos

I've just been keeping my brightness at 0% or it's something like 3% is the lowest I believe, it's been working fine for me so far, sometimes I need it have it higher but usually just keep it low.

womp

NightHawk17 said:
thanks man. Would it be a good idea to keep my brightness on auto?

I find that the lowest brightness works for me (Low as it can go) and tick it up one when outdoors when needed. Helps keep the battery in check.

womp said:
I find that the lowest brightness works for me (Low as it can go) and tick it up one when outdoors when needed. Helps keep the battery in check.

Yeah I don't like the autobrightness setting. I leave it on about 30% in the settings, turn it off if I'm in a theater or something.

scoobs

womp said:
I don't even like Sense UI TBH. I have always used the Google News & Weather widget (Which Motorola for some odd reason didn't include on the X, yet is a part of Android 2.1) and have been flip flopping between it and this lately just for a change.

Search for Mini Info in the Marketplace.

Fancy Widget, which was free and is no longer found on the Marketplace because of a cease and desist from HTC.

You can snag it here:

http://www.filestube.com/a478962c7b2f508503e9,g/Fancy-Widget-v1-3-0.html
For the idiots out there (like me) how exactly do you transfer this to your droid? Looking for a folder to put it in and failing.

Paznos

scoobs said:
For the idiots out there (like me) how exactly do you transfer this to your droid? Looking for a folder to put it in and failing.
Easiest way would be to download it from your browser(on your phone) and install it that way or download it and transfer it to your SD card.

scoobs

Paznos said:
Easiest way would be to download it from your browser(on your phone) and install it that way or download it and transfer it to your SD card.
tried to do it via my phone but turns out the download box never popped up :( I ended up reading up on how to install .apk files, took some time but I feel like a more capable slob now :lol

BuRT!

Every time I turn my phone on or off now it plays an annoying, generic ringing sound. I could have sworn it played the "Droid" sound when I first got it. Am I wrong or is there a way to change it back?

Zilch

Banned
Still waiting for my Droid to be shipped... called Verizon yesterday morning and they said to check back on Tuesday. I needs it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom