• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

womp

scoobs said:
tried to do it via my phone but turns out the download box never popped up :( I ended up reading up on how to install .apk files, took some time but I feel like a more capable slob now :lol

Download ASTRO from the Marketplace. It's a great file manager that recently went free w/ads and Premium edition. I highly recommend plunking down the cash for it.

Anything you download will then go to a 'download' directory on your SD card. Android installation .apk files can be installed by a tap right from the file manager.

BuRT! said:
Every time I turn my phone on or off now it plays an annoying, generic ringing sound. I could have sworn it played the "Droid" sound when I first got it. Am I wrong or is there a way to change it back?

May have changed your 'default notification' ringtone by mistake. Go back to your sound settings and simply choose 'DROID' again for the default notifier. Upon boot up the phone will do a SD card check and that is what is evoking the sound association.

scoobs

you know i really love this phone but i gotta say that it really bothers me that everytime i tap on messaging it lags loading up recent conversations. The rest of the phone flies but it just can't seem to handle loading text conversations very well.

scoobs said:
you know i really love this phone but i gotta say that it really bothers me that everytime i tap on messaging it lags loading up recent conversations. The rest of the phone flies but it just can't seem to handle loading text conversations very well.

I use a stock Android Droid but...

1. Do you have a ton of messages? I had some threads with hundreds and hundreds, I set the limit to 50 and I have more memory and it performs better

2. Switch! This is Android. Load up Handcent, edit the style and use that instead.

scoobs

jonnybryce said:
I use a stock Android Droid but...

1. Do you have a ton of messages? I had some threads with hundreds and hundreds, I set the limit to 50 and I have more memory and it performs better

2. Switch! This is Android. Load up Handcent, edit the style and use that instead.
nope I don't have a ton of messages at all, in fact I make it a point to delete old conversations because on my old phone (storm) it really hindered the phone's performance.

And I can and probably will switch but the point is.. I shouldn't have to. Its the most simplest of tasks that EVERYONE does and moto can't even get it right! Oh well, heres hoping froyo fixes my problem

scoobs said:
nope I don't have a ton of messages at all, in fact I make it a point to delete old conversations because on my old phone (storm) it really hindered the phone's performance.

And I can and probably will switch but the point is.. I shouldn't have to. Its the most simplest of tasks that EVERYONE does and moto can't even get it right! Oh well, heres hoping froyo fixes my problem

No I definitely agree and this is a part of a reason why people hate Android skins so much, you never know what problems they bring. Just offering an option in case you didn't know about things like Handcent.

scoobs said:

This is an example of sentence 1 contradicting sentence 2. In sentence 1, Blackberry Storm can't do it, but in sentence 2, EVERYONE does.

scoobs

Unknown Soldier said:
This is an example of sentence 1 contradicting sentence 2. In sentence 1, Blackberry Storm can't do it, but in sentence 2, EVERYONE does.
What? I think you took what I said wrong... I said my storm needed constant deletions of conversations. In the second sentence I was saying how amazing it is that my droidx is amazing at everything but can't handle the simplest of tasks like texting lol. Youve confused me :(

im wondering if anyone else has had this issue. It's not awful lag, only a couple of seconds, but it bothers me to no end.

To be fair, I don't text a whole lot, so I don't know about the Motorola messaging app lagging. But if you are a heavy texter, neither the stock Android texting app or the Motorola one is any good. The Handcent SMS app is free and it is a terrific app by all accounts, though I've never used it myself.

I use the stock app and don't have a problem with it, I actually enjoy it. When I had the HTC Hero it had a SMS app bug that kept the app running and drained the battery so I used Handcent then, it's nice and has some nice features/customizable options but I still stick with stock.

Not all phones are perfect, you can return it or set a different app as default to deal with the problem. That's all there is.

Has anyone been having problems with gmail on their X? it will load up for me but when I scroll down through my inbox loading emails it kicks me back to the home screen. this just started happening today so I am not sure what the problem is.

Captain Blood said:
Has anyone been having problems with gmail on their X? it will load up for me but when I scroll down through my inbox loading emails it kicks me back to the home screen. this just started happening today so I am not sure what the problem is.

I always keep my inbox cleaned out, but I noticed when I was going through spam on my DX yesterday it keep closing the app too.

moduli

Neo Member
I have the same problem too. I was browsing some other forums and apparently others are having issues with gmail also.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Deadly Cyclone said:
Dumb question, how do you select a custom text message tone? I can get the list of stock but none of the mp3s I added.
lots of different ways but ringdroid is free and simple

I got my Steinheil 'Ultra Crystal' screen protectors today. They are the best screen protectors I've ever seen for protecting the screen and still clearly showing the screen, and despite the thickness they conduct my touch perfectly and I don't need to press hard at all to make the input register. It's a great, but it feels quite strange to swipe my finger across it. It's made of that plastic that feels ever so slightly sticky to swipe across, if you know what I mean. I don't know if I like this feeling or not. What other screen protectors do you guys like for the X?

Deadly Cyclone said:
Dumb question, how do you select a custom text message tone? I can get the list of stock but none of the mp3s I added.

Put them in a directory called 'ringtones' on your SD card.

2 Quick Questions, Would I be able to put this phone in an empty pocket naked and not worry about the screen getting scratched, cracked, or bent?

What would be the best way to protect the screen if I absolutely must protect it?

fudgey_lumpkins said:
2 Quick Questions, Would I be able to put this phone in an empty pocket naked and not worry about the screen getting scratched, cracked, or bent?

Theoretically, it uses the scratch-resistant Gorilla Glass. Real world depends on your usage conditions. These days you can buy screen protectors which are so transparent it's almost like you don't have anything on it at all, so there isn't a downside to use a screen protector other than successfully PUTTING THE GOD DAMN THING ON. :lol

What would be the best way to protect the screen if I absolutely must protect it?

I went with the SGP Steinheil ULTRA CRYSTAL screen protector people have been raving about in this thread. It's absolutely clear, but it is fucking hard to put it on without trapping dust underneath it by accident and ruining the application. There are 2 to a package and thank God for that because I ruined the first one before using the trick of going in the bathroom and turning the shower on to clear dust floating in the air before applying the second one. :lol :lol

womp

I don't usually use screen protectors on a glass screen but with this thing being so big I went and tried a Ghost Armor. Had it put on at a mall kiosk, looks great.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
Does anyone else have the problem where the bottom maybe 1/4 inch of the screen just doesn't respond to touch? Like the very very bottom. Wondering if it's a defect.

Also one slightly more arcane question, but maybe someone can help:
-I want to make it so that my volume clicker works even when the phone is locked. Any way to do this? My issue is that I basically like three volumes: silent, vibrate, and blast. But the home-screen sound thing only lets you alternate between silent and volume and I rarely ever use silent.

Paznos

viakado said:
why in the world cant i watch youtube vids on the default browser?
Because youtube uses flash and Android 2.1 doesn't have flash support? That's one of the things 2.2 will bring.

Gallbaro

Banned
So here I am, furiously arguing against the GAFunists.

Then my phone went into a freak out, it sounded like some strange alarm going off. Basically until I pulled the battery the Blue LED was on and it was locked in a vibrate on and off cycle. Would not react to any input and the screen was off. Freaking weird.

womp

Extended battery for the Droid X is now available on Verizonwireless.com for $49.99.

It's an 1840 mah over the stock 1540.

Ordered mine for $37 after my discount. ;)

Paznos

PhoncipleBone said:
Some of youtube is on HTML 5 now is it not? Or at least is transitioning.
yeah some of it is but can the Android browser play HTML5? haven't tried that.

womp said:
Extended battery for the Droid X is now available on Verizonwireless.com for $49.99.

It's an 1840 mah over the stock 1540.

Ordered mine for $37 after my discount. ;)
Nice yeah that's how much it would be for me with my discount too but debating if 300 mah more is worth it.

So I'm trying to find a new texting app but I'm having problems with Handcent and ChompSMS. Handcent won't let me use custom background images for the conversation list and conversations. ChompSMS apparently won't sync up and display facebook profile pictures beside in the conversation list.

Anybody have similar problems/solutions/better apps?

I was having the background problem with handcent but started messing around with the size of the picture and was able to get them working really well.

scoobs

hooollly smokes my phone is crawling today. Its so slow it takes 30 seconds to open up handcent :( Ive tried rebooting but to no avail. This sucks.

EDIT! SWEEEEEEEET!!!! I removed the battery tab when i first got it because said "PULL" so naturally i pulled it off (had no idea). Now my phone froze and i had to remove battery so the only way to do that is to jam something down there. All i had was a fucking knife and my phone couldnt turn off (cool) so i had to try and be careful and low and behold now my phone is fucking broken. SWEEEEEEEET time to go buy a new one!

EDIT #2: Ok, i overreacted a bit. It works, just had to get someone at verizon pry the battery out with a screw driver.

womp

I am still in shock at the amount of people out there that have never heard of or seen a battery pull tab before.

I have been reading horror stories such as the above since launch day.

Gallbaro

Banned
womp said:
I am still in shock at the amount of people out there that have never heard of or seen a battery pull tab before.

I have been reading horror stories such as the above since launch day.

Coming from a blackberry storm I instantly recognized what that tab was for. But I was shocked as hell as to how tight that battery is.

womp said:
I don't usually use screen protectors on a glass screen but with this thing being so big I went and tried a Ghost Armor. Had it put on at a mall kiosk, looks great.

Not necessary. There is a youtube video of a guy raking his keys across the droid screen and nothing. I understand if it's still got the newness factor for you but after that wears of, fear not.

womp

zero margin said:
Not necessary. There is a youtube video of a guy raking his keys across the droid screen and nothing. I understand if it's still got the newness factor for you but after that wears of, fear not.

I owned the original Droid for 9 months, I am well versed in the glass durability. :D

I've already dropped my X twice though (On rug luckily) because I wasn't used to handling it and I'm a bit paranoid. Most likely I will peel it off anyhow but until then I have noticed the Ghost Armor is smoother to the touch and also repels fingerprints very well too. I'm just trying it out for shits and giggles at the moment.

womp said:
I owned the original Droid for 9 months, I am well versed in the glass durability. :D

I've already dropped my X twice though (On rug luckily) because I wasn't used to handling it and I'm a bit paranoid. Most likely I will peel it off anyhow but until then I have noticed the Ghost Armor is smoother to the touch and also repels fingerprints very well too. I'm just trying it out for shits and giggles at the moment.

So the newness factor is running really high for you you're saying, I can see that, probably cost a pretty penny if you only had the droid that amount of time. I'd store that shit in a foam box maybe as well. :lol

Good luck with the protector, it fits well? Fingerprints are annoying for me.

womp

zero margin said:
So the newness factor is running really high for you you're saying, I can see that, probably cost a pretty penny if you only had the droid that amount of time. I'd store that shit in a foam box maybe as well. :lol

Good luck with the protector, it fits well? Fingerprints are annoying for me.

Not really the newness factor since up until I got the X at launch I would still do daily wipedowns of my Droid for fingerprints and dirt. I have some major OCD when it comes to my high priced gadgets and every day it was 'new' to me. :lol

Getting the Ghost Armor on the X was a bit of a spur of the moment thing with myself, my brother and a buddy as we killed time at a local mall before our flight a few weeks ago. There was a kiosk doing them, we were offered a group discount and basically said "Oh hell, lets try it". At first I was weary of its quality but after it settled and dried you cannot tell it's there.

I upgraded to the X because I no longer wanted a physical keyboard, enjoyed the bigger screen and mainly because my wife saw the light and wanted a Droid. We were both Blackberry users and she is now owner of my original Droid.

And no, the X was $199 using my wife's upgrade. Even that pushes it for me since I was always used to getting my cell phone free over the years.

scoobs

womp said:
And no, the X was $199 using my wife's upgrade. Even that pushes it for me since I was always used to getting my cell phone free over the years.
Damn, got mine for $150 online :D

womp said:
Not really the newness factor since up until I got the X at launch I would still do daily wipedowns of my Droid for fingerprints and dirt. I have some major OCD when it comes to my high priced gadgets and every day it was 'new' to me. :lol

Getting the Ghost Armor on the X was a bit of a spur of the moment thing with myself, my brother and a buddy as we killed time at a local mall before our flight a few weeks ago. There was a kiosk doing them, we were offered a group discount and basically said "Oh hell, lets try it". At first I was weary of its quality but after it settled and dried you cannot tell it's there.

I upgraded to the X because I no longer wanted a physical keyboard, enjoyed the bigger screen and mainly because my wife saw the light and wanted a Droid. We were both Blackberry users and she is now owner of my original Droid.

Haha... that sounds exactly like my situation. My wife loves the first Droid... how about yours?

womp

JLateralus said:
Haha... that sounds exactly like my situation. My wife loves the first Droid... how about yours?

At first as Blackberry users she didn't like when I got the Droid last November and had initially scorned it. She was just mad that I turned traitor. Since the GPS saved our skins one day a few months ago when she missed a turn in a new area we were driving to, it became "That's it - I want one". When the X came out I jumped at the upgrade because I weaned myself off the physical keyboard but she still demanded one so this was a perfect opportunity...

So anyway, almost a month of owning my old Droid she loves it and now kind of understands why I was on it 24/7 like a crack whore. :lol

Her New Kids on the Block wallpaper makes me nauseated.

BTW, as a side note...

I've been running my new extended battery since 6 am this morning and although it is still calibrating, Battery Life widget is estimating another 11 hours of usage at 62% battery.

Phone percentage is at 70%.

I think I am liking this. heh.

Spasm

Got mine at BB today for 149 (new every two). Thing is beastmode. I got a lotta catching up to do in these Droid threads. I have no idea what I'm doing. :lol

t0mp

damn! I was waiting 'till I was finished work to snag one of these before I went up to school for the year. I check online and it says "won't ship until 8/30". So I give some stores around my area a call to see if they have any in stock, and of course they don't have any :/

is it sold out everywhere? or is it just my area?

scoobs

I dont know if anyone else has been having problems but just randomly about 3-4 days ago my phone has been lagging and needing battery pulls multiple times a day. anyways, i had to pull the battery again tonight and the boot process took about oh.... 1 hour and 30 minutes total. You heard me right, an hour and a half til my phone booted up. Strangely it is working perfectly now and hasnt needed a battery pull. Texting is extremely fast just like out-of-the-box. I'm happy for now... I'm still considering getting a replacement.

puebla

does anybody know anything about an update for the wi-fi problems the phone has?? i looove this phone but not being able to connect to wi-fi kind of sucks. i have my ssid and wep key and it just can't connect.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom