• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Verizon Droid X by Motorola |OT|

Status
Not open for further replies.

Einbroch

Banned
After two hours on the phone trying to get this stupid device to activate (had to jump through hoops to get the discount on it in the first place...caused some headaches over at Verizon) I know have my sexy, delicious, beautiful phone.

Being my first smartphone, I'm completely overwhelmed but slowly getting the hang of it. I really need a car charger, as I can already tell Pandora will be my new radio.

So I cant get the Wifi on any of the 3 Droid X's I have had to work so far. This is going to be a nightmare.

I might return it and see if the incredible is any better.

so, when is Froyo being officially released for the X? I'm in no mood to root and do this manually, and would just rather eliminate any issues that'll pop up later by doing the official update. But, it's now September and I haven't heard a thing. Anyone know what's the deal?

womp

Superblatt said:
so, when is Froyo being officially released for the X? I'm in no mood to root and do this manually, and would just rather eliminate any issues that'll pop up later by doing the official update. But, it's now September and I haven't heard a thing. Anyone know what's the deal?

No mood? It takes like 5 min. Do it and get it over with, save yourself the misery. There are no issues - I've been running the Froyo leak just fine for over a month now.

My wife has my old Droid and it just NOW got the Froyo update pushed to it from Verizon. Luckily for her I had Froyo already plopped on it, what?, almost four months ago? :lol

No one knows when its coming because even officially Moto/Verizon cannot seem to narrow down their dates. Screw 'em.

womp said:
No mood? It takes like 5 min. Do it and get it over with, save yourself the misery. There are no issues - I've been running the Froyo leak just fine for over a month now.

My wife has my old Droid and it just NOW got the Froyo update pushed to it from Verizon. Luckily for her I had Froyo already plopped on it, what?, almost four months ago? :lol

No one knows when its coming because even officially Moto/Verizon cannot seem to narrow down their dates. Screw 'em.

uh, how do it do it then? instructions?

TxdoHawk

Anyone using FlyX? Just curious for general impressions, especially since the ROM is way early in development. After owning the original Droid and trying other phones, I loathe the idea of running anything but stock, so the fact that it cuts out the bloat is right up my alley.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Is it worth it to install the motorola drivers for PC mode? or just stick with usb mode?

Are there any benefits to PC mode?

bathala

Banned
u can put files on the ur PC and still access some files in ur phone on PC mode. (play music, look at pics etc)

PC Mode on PC have limited folders that can be seen downloads, Music, media

robot

Looks like my X is arriving today. Sorry if this has been asked (im sure it has) but can anyone recommend some "must have" apps? I'm pretty much open to anything.

Paznos

You need to be unrooted to get the 2.2 update or wait for the rooted version of 2.2 which should be out soon after 2.2 is released.

JeTmAn81

Paznos said:
You need to be unrooted to get the 2.2 update or wait for the rooted version of 2.2 which should be out soon after 2.2 is released.

Is there a way to unroot in order to get the official update? Or do you mean the "rooted version of 2.2" will actually be an official download?

JeTmAn81

Also, we're making sure to distinguish "rooted" from "running a ROM", right? Because I have root access to my X but otherwise have left everything as it was. I was under the impression that just rooting it wouldn't interfere with OTA updates.

Paznos

Deadly Cyclone said:
I downloaded 2.2 a month ago, but am not rooted. Wonder if I will get an update or not...
Well Motorola has already said there wouldn't be a upgrade path for people who updated to the leaked version of 2.2.

scoobs

is there still no word on the froyo for the X?? Jesus, I thought it was supposed to come out in early september?? its almost october :(

Paznos

scoobs said:
is there still no word on the froyo for the X?? Jesus, I thought it was supposed to come out in early september?? its almost october :(
Look a few posts up.... Tomorrow.

There's no way of knowing for sure but people have said you needed to be unrooted on 2.1 to get the 2.2 update, and if you updated to the leak 2.2(rooted or not) you would need to flash back to 2.1 using the SBF file or wait for the Android Devs to make the official 2.2 update rootable and release that.

Paznos said:
Look a few posts up.... Tomorrow.

There's no way of knowing for sure but people have said you needed to be unrooted on 2.1 to get the 2.2 update, and if you updated to the leak 2.2(rooted or not) you would need to flash back to 2.1 using the SBF file or wait for the Android Devs to make the official 2.2 update rootable and release that.
so im assuming 2.2 rooted that was released last month will be different from from the bold part you mentioned?

Paznos

viakado said:
so im assuming 2.2 rooted that was released last month will be different from from the bold part you mentioned?
Well the method to root might be different and the version of 2.2 will be the newer official Froyo update.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Paznos said:
Well Motorola has already said there wouldn't be a upgrade path for people who updated to the leaked version of 2.2.

Hmm, so I could still root the phone and get the rooted 2.2 correct?

Otherwise I have to wipe the phone?

Paznos

Deadly Cyclone said:
Hmm, so I could still root the phone and get the rooted 2.2 correct?

Otherwise I have to wipe the phone?
Yeah birdman said he's working on a prerooted version so when it's released via OTA tomorrow he would have the prerooted version ready shortly after.

But others have said since it's a different baseband and kernel you would most likely have to flash the phone back to 2.1 and then either grab the prerooted version or grab the OTA and root it yourself via the Droid 2 way if that's still possible(most likely would be.)

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Paznos said:
Yeah birdman said he's working on a prerooted version so when it's released via OTA tomorrow he would have the prerooted version ready shortly after.

But others have said since it's a different baseband and kernel you would most likely have to flash the phone back to 2.1 and then either grab the prerooted version or grab the OTA and root it yourself via the Droid 2 way if that's still possible(most likely would be.)

Hmm, how hard is it to flash back to 2.1?

Paznos

Deadly Cyclone said:
Thanks for the help, I'll give it a shot.

There is no way just to do a factory reset and have it be 2.1?
Np, nope if you were to do a factory reset on 2.2,you'd still be on 2.2. The only method is the one I linked to go to back to 2.1 since the bootloader is still locked.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Welllll I flashed my phone back to 2.1 and, of course, now nothing (phone network) is set up, how do I get everything activated?

EDIT: Actually it walks right through it.

Paznos

Oh cool so they did release it early, it seems like the Droid 2 Root method works so I'll probably do that tomorrow.

if anyones having trouble pulling the update:

Check your social applications sync settings. If the "wifi only" box is checked, you won't be able to pull the update. Uncheck the box and restart your phone. You should be able to pull the update. (Can't take credit for this idea -- got it from others when I was having the same problem)

from the android central forums

Oozer3993

I upgraded successfully after having some trouble with ClockWork Recovery. Some things seem smoother, but there also seem to be more hiccups. And the lock screen music widget is partially obscured by the unlock mechanism. But Chrome to Phone (well Fox to Phone) is the greatest thing ever.

Futureman

so is this back ordered or something?

Amazon has it for $150 but says 1-2 weeks shipping. If my local store has it in stock tonight, I'd probably just pay the extra $50 to get it NOW.

Oozer3993

Anyone know how I can get rid of the pin lock on my X? I deleted the Exchange account that instituted it, but I still can't disable the pin lock.

Futureman

Menelaus said:
It's pretty much been 2-4 weeks backordered since release.

Hmm, store in area has one in stock. I'll probably go buy it.

I'm signing up for new service, what will they charge me tonight? Just the cost of the phone, and I won't have to pay anything else until my first bill?

Futureman

womp said:
OK...as promised...

Copy these links one at a time into your Droid web browser.

Google News & Weather widget:

http://tinyurl.com/22wv3ws

Google Gallery with multi-touch:

http://tinyurl.com/24pkjcg

Install instantly. Be happy.

No other steps required.

I also recommend (And purchasing the Pro version) ASTRO file manager.

The Google Gallery syncs with your Picasa web albums and is a killer app to me...Having it removed by Motorola senselessly made me mental. Be aware, it takes time to populate.

Womp, are these out of date or something?

Just got a Droid X yesterday, and when I try to install the Google News and Weather widget it says "Replace Application: This is a system application. Do you still want to replace it?"

I say "ok" then click "Install" and it immediately stops installing and says "Application not installed."

??

Also, do you guys use Secondapps.com/neogaf on your Droid's? It seems to be working fine on mine, but when I search "Droid X" and click the first result, the page is blank and there are zero posts.

Futureman

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but I think the Google Weather and News widget is already on my Droid X?

I thought people were saying earlier in here that Verizon/Moto replaced the Weather and Gallery with their own version.

Also, I hate the stock lock screen on the Droid X. It's laggy and ugly. Good 3rd party one?

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Futureman said:
Maybe I'm looking at this wrong, but I think the Google Weather and News widget is already on my Droid X?

I thought people were saying earlier in here that Verizon/Moto replaced the Weather and Gallery with their own version.

Also, I hate the stock lock screen on the Droid X. It's laggy and ugly. Good 3rd party one?

Widget Locker for sure. Let's you place any widgets you want on the lock screen.

That brings me to this question, does anyone know if you can change the lock bar design in widget locker?

womp

Futureman said:
Womp, are these out of date or something?

Just got a Droid X yesterday, and when I try to install the Google News and Weather widget it says "Replace Application: This is a system application. Do you still want to replace it?"

I say "ok" then click "Install" and it immediately stops installing and says "Application not installed."

??

Also, do you guys use Secondapps.com/neogaf on your Droid's? It seems to be working fine on mine, but when I search "Droid X" and click the first result, the page is blank and there are zero posts.

Download and install ASTRO file manager and try the links again.

I haven't used the links, but when I posted them originally they worked fine. It will download the .apk's to your SD card and from there you can tap and install.

Futureman said:

No, Motorola removed them.

They were originally included in Android 2.1 and for whatever reason Moto decided not to include either one with the Droid X. Instead they opted to put in their own version of Gallery to boot which I don't care for - It doesn't sync with my Picasa web albums: FAIL.

Having been a huge user of both on my original Droid I was quite frankly pissed as hell when I discovered neither were to be found on my X.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
My phone has been behaving weirdly recently, I suspect due to the combination of WidgetLocker and a bunch of other progs. What is the best way to get a fresh start? Don't mind deleting and reinstalling everything but I'd like to keep my contacts.

AstroLad said:
My phone has been behaving weirdly recently, I suspect due to the combination of WidgetLocker and a bunch of other progs. What is the best way to get a fresh start? Don't mind deleting and reinstalling everything but I'd like to keep my contacts.

I don't know how to do a fresh restart, but Verizon has a free online backup for your contacts.

womp

AstroLad said:

Your contacts are linked to the GMail/Google account you use on the phone.

AstroLad said:
if your rooted and have done back ups, that what i do

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom