• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VF4 Evo vs. VF3tb: Which is Deeper?

I'm fairly new to the VF series and I would like to know which of the series is deeper, more rewarding, and more worth it overall.

What are the reasons that one is deeper than the other and how does this affect the gamplay and flow of the battles?

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Both games are complex in their own way, imo. VF3 had uneven terrain as well as true blocking properties (i.e. your foot doesn't magically go through someone's body if they block it, so it affects closed/open stances). VF4 on the other hand has some really complex characters like Vanessa and Brad. So I guess it's a toss-up.

SaitoH

Evo definitely, but using the arenas did have a small effect on the gameplay. Longer float combos down a slope, etc. and I do kinda miss being able to slip-dodge with the evade button ...

^_~

MetatronM

Unconfirmed Member
Evo, definitely. I've always hated VF3. Though the uneven terrain was cool. I'd like to see them try it again.

Reno said:
VF3 had uneven terrain as well as true blocking properties (i.e. your foot doesn't magically go through someone's body if they block it...

The two things that I had wished to see make a return in VF4...with the solid use of physically-correct blocking being the big one, to me. It made a HUGE difference in the way top-tier playing was handled. I really hope to see it return in VF5.

As for the topic, VF4 Evo is miles deeper than VF3, even not counting the new characters in 4. The counter system and overall balance in Evo offers far more ways to play any given character.

SaitoH

Luminescent said:
Is evasion accomplished by moving the joystick/analog pad in VF4?

Yes, but the evade button in VF3 allowed for some nice tricks. You could evade a rising attack aka "slip-dodging". Fun stuff. Although I must admit I much prefer the 3 button setup overall.

Top Bottom