• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

itsgreen

MS will have to show some great games to convince me to put up with vastly inferior graphics for another 8 years. But we'll see how big the difference is in-game. If it's not drastically bigger than PS3>360 (which was a pretty big gap, TBH), I'd be okay with it.

I don't know the numbers of their AMD cards from the top of my head, but do games on a 7750 (Durango) look significantly better than a 7850 (PS4) (and not even that Radeon if those 4 extra GCN cores aren't available) from 10 feet away on a tv screen? And I mean leaps, not the scientific 5% rule ;)

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Next Gen sounds boring with only Sony putting out visually mindblowing titles...
CryTek is developing Ryse so that should be a jawdropper. I'm expecting Alan Wake 2 to be quite the looker as well. Halo 5 will also have great art behind it.

Yeah, I do think you underestimate how much people love so called 'natural user interfaces' and you seem to neglect the fact that MS has that much more room to implement various features and assume that all of them will be of no value to you or anyone on this board. It's like when 360 launched and Sony fans were ridiculing stuff like messaging, voice chat and achievements as unnecessary and not crucial.

Obviously Microsoft might still come up with a bunch of useless non-sense, who knows. They seem certainly unable to compete against Google or Apple in most new areas.

Don't just read the last page before commenting.
4GB ram will be plenty for fancy interfaces and HTPC shit.Noone knows what ms want the extra ram for, also 6GB isn't an option unless they go for a 192 or 384 bit bus, which would either fuck the bandwidth even more or be more expensive, so who knows if they even need specifically 8GB :p
Achievements and trophies are still stupid :p what a waste of productivity and time.

You are assuming just as much as me and everyone else on this forum.

Ashes

Banned
That's a very interesting article, a lot of information on optimizations that have been made. I've been on a train for the last three hours, has any serious effort been put toward discussing the body of the article or have we spent 27 pages bickering over what we already knew (the whole 1.2 TFLOPS vs. 1.8 TFLOPS issue)?

You mean the improvements compared to the x360? It reads like a pr sheet for Graphic Core Next, but with different labels for parts that do pretty similar to exact same things. Diagrams are different, but I think all of this was already discussed.

artist

Banned
I find it fascinating that whenever specs that put XB3 is an unfavourable light to its direct competitor the information's nature, i.e., "rumour" takes precedence. And yet discussion rages on about the implication and ramifications based upon the rumoured specs. If nothing is absolutely certain then what is point of the discussion? Seems awfully wasteful.
Especially after it was established the veracity of VGLeaks track record multiple times.

I find it fascinating that whenever specs that put XB3 is an unfavourable light to its direct competitor the information's nature, i.e., "rumour" takes precedence. And yet discussion rages on about the implication and ramifications based upon the rumoured specs. If nothing is absolutely certain then what is point of the discussion? Seems awfully wasteful.
fascinating innit

i-Lo

CryTek is developing Ryse so that should be a jawdropper. I'm expecting Alan Wake 2 to be quite the looker as well. Halo 5 will also have great art behind it.
Precisely. People are fretting about D'Artagnan. It will be fine and will bloom at the hands of talented developers. I have said a few times and I will repeat it again, developing to closed box specs with locked frames per second and resolution (or dynamic 1080p) implies impressive graphical results.

PC will sit back laughing at the idea of Sony putting out visually mindblowing titles.

Yes, use the PC defence. Why does PC even enter the discussion of next gen consoles? PC is generation agnostic.

Anyway, IL+another one.

itsgreen

4GB ram will be plenty for fancy interfaces and HTPC shit.Noone knows what ms want the extra ram for, also 6GB isn't an option unless they go for a 192 or 384 bit bus, which would either fuck the bandwidth even more or be more expensive, so who knows if they even need specifically 8GB :p
Achievements and trophies are still stupid :p what a waste of productivity and time.

MS doesn't want to get trapped again, like they were to some degree with their basic OS which was like 32 megs or something? How much of both memory pools (PS4 and 720) will be reserved for the OS?

Word on the street is that PS4 reserves 512 for the OS. How many concurrent programs/features can you fit in there running while you game? More importantly how many features can you get in there in 4 years, when you want features you haven't thought of today.

I can't believe people are writing off the next version of kinect as lost value if it ships with the unit so soon. Who is to say that it will not perform the way that "core" gamers want it to? and do things that actually enhance game play?

I just don't see microsoft putting out a 2nd version of kinect just for improved voice recognition and better dance simulations.

PSGames

From what I understand manufacturing wise Durango could possibly be more expensive to make than Orbis even though it's less powerful due to having to include edram for backwards compatibility. That's why they were forced to go with larger (but cheaper) RAM.

So I guess the question is if given the choice would you have liked the PS4 equaled in power with no BC or 30% weaker with BC?

szaromir

Banned

4GB is plenty, but they won't have a significant part of that available at any time. PS3 is powerful enough to do cross-game voice chat at any time, but Sony didn't reserve enough resources for that and winded up unable to implement it later on. It might be a similar situation again this time around if Microsoft comes up with something interesting.

Consoles will continue to laugh that PC is mostly being held back by them.

Not sure given that console will use dx11+ speced gpu.
Main reason pc gaming was held back was that games on consoles use dx9 specced hardware. And the art fidelity was really shitty compared to what pc could pump out.

Now with next gen i can actually see pc gaming grow after year 2 of console releases.
Then the $400~500 average laptop will probably pack more computation and im not sure if commercial pc and laptops will use DDR4 3D stacked memory.

coldfoot

Banned
PC will sit back laughing at the idea of Sony putting out visually mindblowing titles.
There will be no PC exclusives that push cutting edge visuals and expensive artwork with this generation. Besides, I'm sure PC would love to get a game with art that looks as good as God of War.
It's not about tech all the time, it's about having a viable platform that validates multimillion dollar efforts on graphics.

Biggzy

Not sure given that console will use dx11+ speced gpu.
Main reason pc gaming was held back was that games on consoles use dx9 specced hardware. And the art fidelity was really shitty compared to what pc could pump out.

Now with next gen i can actually see pc gaming grow after year 2 of console releases.
Then the $400~500 average laptop will probably pack more computation and im not sure if commercial pc and laptops will use DDR4 3D stacked memory.

I think 512 MB of RAM was the biggest shackle for PC games.

DieH@rd

Banned
Word on the street is that PS4 reserves 512 for the OS. How many concurrent programs/features can you fit in there running while you game? More importantly how many features can you get in there in 4 years, when you want features you haven't thought of today.

Look at ordinary modern smartphone. Large OS and tons of programs/services can be placed inside of 512MB. Console OS will more likely be much more lightweight.

4GB is plenty, but they won't have a significant part of that available at any time. PS3 is powerful enough to do cross-game voice chat at any time, but Sony didn't reserve enough resources for that and winded up unable to implement it later on. It might be a similar situation again this time around if Microsoft comes up with something interesting.

Yeah but 512MB is a lot compared to 50MB or 32MB..., 50 or 32 MB was a garbage bottleneck.

I have no doubt that xbox will be able to do more while gaming, but even 512MB is still enough for a browser with a bunch of tabs , voice chat and the OS itself.
On the dashboard itself ps4 will be able to do everything xbox 3 can.

Multitasking is great when gaming (it's why I prefer my pc) but ps4 should have the basics covered compared to PC and considering what you seem to have to give up with xbox 3 it seems to me like MS went too far from a gamer point of view.

This might be off-topic but generally speaking I think that the 3Dmark tech demos gives a good look of what to expect from next gen:

3DMark05:

3DMark (2013):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qjb18q8FFX0

Wait what the fuck, there is a new 3d mark? When did that happen?

:lol

You know every third-party game will probably look the same, right? Where is this "Vastly inferior graphics" stuff coming from?

Dunno, I'm no expert. But since the "experts" on GAF are flipping their shit, I figured I might as well join in.
Nextgen speculation is always fun!

As stated previously... Every Durango game will have Kinect functionality.

0126_2mt0.gif

ghst

thanks for the laugh
Yes, use the PC defence. Why does PC even enter the discussion of next gen consoles? PC is generation agnostic.

PC is the life raft which people jump in as soon as disillusionment with their particular brand of proprietary comfort blanket begins to sink their dreams.

as such, it's getting rather crowded.

itsgreen

Yeah but 512MB is a lot compared to 50MB or 32MB..., 50 or 32 MB was a garbage bottleneck.

I have no doubt that xbox will be able to do more while gaming, but even 512MB is still enough for a browser with a bunch of tabs , voice chat and the OS itself.
On the dashboard itself ps4 will be able to do everything xbox 3 can.

Multitasking is great when gaming (it's why I prefer my pc) but ps4 should have the basics covered compared to PC and considering what you seem to have to give up with xbox 3 it seems to me like MS went too far from a gamer point of view.

50 or 32 megs was reasonably a lot in 2005 compared to the previous gen. They thought they would be more than enough. Both were wrong....

Look at ordinary modern smartphone. Large OS and tons of programs/services can be placed inside of 512MB. Console OS will more likely be much more lightweight.

At what resolution, fidelity, etc etc. My phone has 2GB ram, my 2 year old phone has 1GB ram. And again, what about the things you haven't thought about yet?

JJD

MS doesn't want to get trapped again, like they were to some degree with their basic OS which was like 32 megs or something? How much of both memory pools (PS4 and 720) will be reserved for the OS?

If I'm not mistaken the PS3 OS was over 100MB when it released. Now it's under 50 and it has a lot more features.

FordGTGuy

Banned
PC is the life raft which people jump in as soon as disillusionment with their particular brand of proprietary comfort blanket begins to sink their dreams.

as such, it's getting rather crowded.

Because us with gaming PCs think it's funny that people that only use consoles think that the PS4 will somehow manage to wow us with raw visuals... Yes I do have a Xbox 360.

You really have thing for Sony, huh... ;)

Same goes for Xbox.

DieH@rd

Banned
How did you derive the 40 or 48 TMU figure?

12 CUs, each with 4 texure units. Thats 48 total. Now if Django wants to have some wizzards jiz and customize CU's for more compute, some of those Texure Units may be missing.

Im speculating of course, VGL did not post texture units info [and they renamed a lot of stuff on their diagrams].

Drek

I think both Sony and MS want to go back to 5 year console cycle.

I can guarantee you no one wants to go back to that. Not Sony, not MS, and certainly not any of the publishers.

This generation proved that they can run a much wider cycle and consumers will keep buying games. That greatly improves profit margins for all parties. There is no way after proving that consumers will take a 7-8 year cycle that they'll all opt to go back to a 5 year cycle.

The only way we get a new console in 2018 is 1. Nintendo bringing something out because the Wii U is dead and they need to give it another roll of the dice or 2. someone establishes a PS2 level of dominance.

In the second case I'd even bet that it would take MS establishing that level of dominance, leading to Sony (or at that point, their parent company Samsung) pushing out a new console.

If Sony rolls another PS1/PS2 generation on MS I'd seriously question MS's willingness to make hardware for another generation. Instead I'd bet on them looking for an alternative angle into the industry, probably revisiting their interest in Nintendo from a decade ago. A partnership between Nintendo and MS where the former builds the hardware and the later handles the OS, online, etc. would be a very strong competitor in this industry that meets both company's long term needs.

Because us with gaming PCs think it's funny that people that only use consoles think that the PS4 will somehow manage to wow us with raw visuals...

Consoles will still show some very impressive visuals regardless, not necessary because of optimization only, but because of the general advancement that will be made in games engines/animation/lighting etc that will be made over the years too.

FordGTGuy

Banned
Consoles will still show some very impressive visuals regardless, not necessary because of optimization only, but because of the general advancement that will be made in games engines/animation/lighting etc that will be made over the years too.

I have no doubt about impressive visuals but not mind blowing. Mods I've seen done with Skyrim are mind blowing.

Games like Skyrim prove that even if consoles hold back games the modding community will make up for it.

Top Bottom