• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

They're banking on the ps2/wii formula I guess. Seems like they really did lose their edge this gen. Assuming these numbers are true at least.

I think they're banking on other non gaming features (subsidized cable box, DVR functionality, Skype) to attract more customers outside of gaming.

Until we see what games/full features that both consoles will have as well as which one end up being developers choice its looking like I may sit out a year or more until we get a clearer picture.

It is worth noting that the most powerful console hasn't lead in sales in decades.

Meelow

Banned
Some of these posts on this thread remind me of the Xbox 360 price announcement thread, those we're interesting days lol.

What I have learned from Neogaf today.

PS4 is far more powerful than next Xbox.
PS4 will be cheaper.

PS4 is easier to develop games on.
Xbox will be a DVR/Media Center that plays Kinect games on the side.
Xbox needs 8 gigs of RAM because of ADs.
MS will leave the industry.

Did I miss anything?

I really don't know why this is so hard to believe. It basically happened this gen already. PS3 and X360 are pretty much on par as far as graphics go but X360 has been always a lot cheaper to manufacture.

Drek

That's a wrap folks. Durango going the way of the Kin.

Fucking hell. This kind of quote really makes you wonder if they learned anything from the PS3's struggles. You can't foist reduced hardware/increased cost/etc. onto consumers to Trojan horse your other products. Consumers, especially early adopters, get pissed about that.

At this point the doom and gloom hypothesis of Xbox 720 running some version of the Windows 8 kernel with Kinect in every box is looking like a real possibility.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Shouldn't be a issue since you would have to say Xbox before anything.

I like the way when you have a movie going through an AV receiver quite loud you have to scream at the top of your voice to get the Xbox to react.

artist

Banned
I guess the management at Xbox group was "We're going after the core causual gamer".

Does that align with what bkilian has hinted before?

szaromir

Banned
At this very moment, Steam's top-20 most played games include 6 multiplatform games and 14 PC exclusives. I hope you like the taste of crow.

Anyone else who claims that PC games are "99% console ports" will be called out on it. Do your research before posting to avoid embarrassment.
I see 11 multiplatform games and 9 exclusive.

Alx

Has anyone ever suggested the hilarity/annoyance of Kinect voice commands babbling through chat during multilayer? I'd find that pretty fucking annoying.

I don't think it would be too difficult to filter the sound from voice chat to avoid false positives, just like it can filter the sound from the game itself, since all of those streams pass through the console itself. It should be even easier than user localization and ambient noise cancellation.

PaulLFC

I'm sorry but when did I say that? I'm refuting the statement that consoles are going to produce mind blowing graphical fidelity and nothing else.

There is a big different in saying this game looks (as far as graphics) mind blowing as it's relative and can be measured and saying this ice cream is mind blowing as that is pure opinion and cannot be measured realistically.
What on earth are you talking about?

My original post:

I have a gaming PC, and in fact buy most of my games on Steam these days. To even suggest consoles won't put out stunning visuals once devs have got used to the hardware is ridiculous.

You have somehow twisted that into "graphical fidelity only".

If someone thinks a game looks amazing to them, and you don't think said game looks amazing, that does not make them, or you, wrong. They are opinions.

JJD

all arguments will end with "Rumors, we don't know anything until it is officially confirmed."

I wonder what people will say when they are unveiled and the specs are mostly what we have been discussing for months.

I would love a big bump in performance...but I'm not expecting one.

Surprise me MS!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeease.....

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Ha Ha, except you know 2560x1600 or 3d or surround or eyefinite or multiple monitors or...
you upgrade to what you feel is best for you. don't make it sound like it's neccesary. those days are over.
you wont be runnin nextgen games in 2560x1600 @ 60fps

I think they're banking on other non gaming features (subsidized cable box, DVR functionality, Skype) to attract more customers outside of gaming.

Until we see what games/full features that both consoles will have as well as which one end up being developers choice its looking like I may sit out a year or more until we get a clearer picture.

It is worth noting that the most powerful console hasn't lead in sales in decades.

The Xbox 360 is winning this gen? On paper, the specs are better than PS3 (unified memory, better GPU).

Bsigg12

Keeps on getting bleak ..

And by the time Microsoft finally announces their new Xbox they'll be filing for bankruptcy...

Point is, people love the negativity here because it pulls people into arguments. Nothing is certain, and we no nothing about games, services, or hell even the final specs on either system.

nasos_333

I really don't know why this is so hard to believe. It basically happened this gen already. PS3 and X360 are pretty much on par as far as graphics go but X360 has been always a lot cheaper to manufacture.

That is the problem, one has to wonder how MS can do so wrong this generation after the amazing xbox 360 case

PS4 will be cheaper.

Did I miss anything?

Also don't forget that Sony engineers are about 10000 times better than MS engineers. Also Sony pays for parts with happy rainbow rays and the PS4 is powered by Whale songs.

I am ready! Silly MS.... bunch of noobs.

We are lucky that GAF doesn't make a console. It would cost 150 spacebucks and be 1000 times more powerful than PS4.

/sarcasm

FourMyle

I'm not offended by it and I own a kinect. My problem is you're supplying speculation as if it's fact. It reeks of Kinect paranoia. :p

Regardless, if Halo 4 doesn't include Kinect functionality I doubt it will be required for 720 games.

Kinect paranoia? Are you fucking insane or just watched the past 2 or 3 E3s with your eyes closed?

Arkham

The Amiga Brotherhood
Shouldn't be a issue since you would have to say Xbox before anything.

Exactly.

"Xbox--"

"Blah blah blah... XBOX... I SAID XBOX!! "

"Jus'sec guys xbox xbox"

Integrated voice commands for controls would be fucking annoying as well. And if those aren't assisted by Kinect, it's just a fingerless remote. What a nightmare.

Wynnebeck

Banned
I'm trying to understand why the idea that Orbis might be a little stronger than Durango when it comes to certain things for gaming causes such a tizzy. We've already been told that they'll be close in performance. Isn't that good enough?

That is the problem, one has to wonder how MS can do so wrong this generation after the amazing xbox 360 case

X360 definitely was one of the best consoles in history as far as price/perfomance ratio goes. Still considering that Sony is hardware company and Crazy ken is gone it's not that surprising if they have the upper hand now.

Kinect paranoia? Are you fucking insane or just watched the past 2 or 3 E3s with your eyes closed?

I'm gonna have to go with insane because I didn't see much Kinect in MS's 2012 E3 presentation.

That said, we are most def going to get a Kinect for the 720 and I think it will be packed in with every console.

Krabardaf

Exactly.

"Xbox--"

"Blah blah blah... XBOX... I SAID XBOX!! "

"Jus'sec guys xbox xbox"

Integrated voice commands for controls would be fucking annoying as well. And if those aren't assisted by Kinect, it's just a fingerless remote. What a nightmare.

Don't use it?
Not a fan either though.

Lucentto

Banned
I'm trying to understand why the idea that Orbis might be a little stronger than Durango when it comes to certain things for gaming causes such a tizzy. We've already been told that they'll be close in performance. Isn't that good enough?

No, everything must run in 1080p 60fps or nextgen is worthless. According to a few on GAF anyway.

yurinka

PS4 will be cheaper.

Did I miss anything?
Yep, that the secret sauce is still secret. Maybe Sony lost another exclusive (the secret PS3 game) and it was a cooking game.

what exactly did you just prove? no one said the PC didn't have exclusives
my point is I don't think console owners care for Chivalry: Medieval Warfare

Your making a generalisation that may be true, but it may also be false. I'd love to play a game like Chivalry on the PS4. Even better if it had a good single player campaign as well, that would light my fire.

artist

Banned
It's exactly how e-peen wars are played out - bragging rights.

I wonder what people will say when they are unveiled and the specs are mostly what we have been discussing for months.

I would love a big bump in performance...but I'm not expecting one.

Surprise me MS!!!

Pleeeeeeeeeeease.....

"E3 specs, not finalized till actual launch"

It's also worth noting that there are plenty of factors that determines which console manufacture sells the most in a generation. So just looking at one metric(power) is pretty useless.

Top Bottom