• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

VGLeaks: Durango GPU detailed

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm not interested in Sony 1st party output but people preach about it constantly.
I wouldn't imagine so either, I take it you are a PC gamer & probably a 360 owner? not that the last bit matters
but even if graphically Sony 1st party stuff impressed you, you probably just not into the games they make

Gamespawn

I don't see why eveyone's arguing. Wasn't there something about MS not allowing 3rd parties to release superior games on other systems? Pretty sure their games will look and perform the same.

Except for 1st party games.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I'm trying to understand why the idea that Orbis might be a little stronger than Durango when it comes to certain things for gaming causes such a tizzy. We've already been told that they'll be close in performance. Isn't that good enough?

No. This is neogaf. The tiniest differences in performance will be endlessly debated. Every pixel put under scrutiny. Frame rates analysed, audio compared.

This is neogaf.

pswii60

I'm sure I'm back in 2005/6 reading about Xbox 360 vs PS3 specs all over again. Interesting how that one panned out in the end.

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. I think both consoles will blow us away with some incredible looking exclusives. I can't wait.

I knew I wasn't crazy
Zqcoe4n.jpg

Not this time anyway ...

EvB

I don't see why eveyone's arguing. Wasn't there something about MS not allowing 3rd parties to release superior games on other systems? Pretty sure their games will look and perform the same.

Yeah, as the Platform holder Microsoft and no doubt Sony demand platform parity with the other console's version of the game.

Souther

Banned
I think they will be close on 3rd party stuff...but as soon as Sony 1st party stuff comes out, then you will see the difference.

szaromir

Banned
I wouldn't imagine so either, I take it you are a PC gamer & probably a 360 owner? not that the last bit matters
but even if graphically Sony 1st party stuff impressed you, you probably just not into the games they make
I have no problems with people liking Sony software mind you. It's just stating that PC's exclusive library isn't strong is disingenuous.
There aren't that many graphics powerhouses among them, but still you should be able to find several every year.

KAL2006

Banned
Say if this leak is true, would it benefit Sony to give full technical specs of PS4 on the 20th so when it's MS turn to announce they can't brag too much about power as there will be always someone asking how does it compare to its competitor in power.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
I'm sure I'm back in 2005/6 reading about Xbox 360 vs PS3 specs all over again. Interesting how that one panned out in the end.

The proof, as they say, is in the pudding. I think both consoles will blow us away with some incredible looking exclusives. I can't wait.
360 & PS3 was built differently & work very differently
this time they are the same, just one has better, faster stuff in it

I have no problems with people liking Sony software mind you. It's just stating that PC's exclusive library isn't strong is disingenuous.
There aren't that many graphics powerhouses among them, but still you should be able to find several every year.
there are loads exclusives on the PC, some are really good but best one usually end up on consoles, even Crysis found its way to consoles.

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Say if this leak is true, would it benefit Sony to give full technical specs of PS4 on the 20th so when it's MS turn to announce they can't brag too much about power as there will be always someone asking how does it compare to its competitor in power.

But then people will say things like "PS4 only has 4Gb of RAM". I don't think either Sony or MS are going to be talking about specs in detail any more. There's really no need. It's not just people like gaffers who care about intricacies of tech specs any more. That said, I don't think they'll try to hide the specs after launch like Nintendo.

Orbis specs are also still in a bit of flux from what I hear. Durango has been locked down for a while. Sony won't want to say anything before it's finalized to keep from getting burned like they were with the PS3 GPU downgrade.

onQ123

The specs are good enough, everyday people will be satisfied even if it was only 3X the Xbox 360 in power.

some people are only complaining because the PS4 specs seem to be higher.

JJD

I don't think it would benefit then.

Marketing teams will always find ways to spin "exclusive" features.

Consider that MS renamed most components of the Durango GPU differently from what AMD calls then for seemingly no reason at all.

So the weakest then?

Or the first out?

Wii U wins both!

I know you're being sarcastic but I really wouldn't count it out just yet either.

While I felt the WiiU's launch was lackluster my guess is that's by design. The're well aware of the coming battle between Sony and MS I'd say the're holding their heavy hitters back for E3 to combat that.

not to mention we already know what the WiiU costs to purchase. looking at the success of the Wii and the "failure" of the PS3, being improperly priced can make or break you.

KAL2006

Banned

Lol no, most games looked better on 360 because it was easier to develop for, but this time both systems are similar in architecture but PS4 is more powerful as some people think PS4 may e easier to develop for too. Besides your theory is wrong as there were some games actually that looked better on PS3.

JJD

I know you're being sarcastic but I really wouldn't count it out just yet either.

While I felt the WiiU's launch was lackluster my guess is that's by design. The're well aware of the coming battle between Sony and MS I'd say the're holding their heavy hitters back for E3 to combat that.

not to mention we already know what the WiiU costs to purchase. looking at the success of the Wii and the "failure" of the PS3, being improperly priced can make or break you.

There is absolutely no way Durango is weaker than the WiiU man.

I'm willing to bet.

InPlosion

I'd love to get excited about next gen.
Sadly, I get sad instead, because deep down I KNOW more power is not going to directly result in better games.
Devs will, once again, aim for "better" graphical fidelity, to easily market their product, expecially to people who know...well...know little about videogames, in my opinion.

Thank god my pc keeps giving me good experiences though. I like being reminded that graphics alone aren't enough for a great game, I need other ingredients. And I know what I definitely don't need, a pretty tunnel with few , and dumb, enemies.(GoW I'm looking at you, I expected way more from the Unreal devs, I felt...betrayed).

Sony only need to swap that left joystick with the D-pad and I'm 100% in. SOLD!

Seriously. If Sony would just fix their damn controller to my liking, I would gladly give them more business. I'm pretty annoyed that the 720 is looking significantly weaker because it means I might have to deal with Sony's horrible controller design. Hell, I still might buy multiplats on the 720.

JJD

Probably to try and obfuscate any comparisons with Orbis' GPU.

Yeah Durante said the same thing. He even joked that MS marketing team had a pass on the leaked documents before they were released.

The whole "secret sauce" stuff derived from that renaming.

Sony only need to swap that left joystick with the D-pad and I'm 100% in. SOLD!

OK, this made me laugh. =)

I'm mad curious about Durango and Orbis joysticks! There is almost no info about then until now, that shit is locked in bank vaults!

EvB

I'm still predicting that Microsoft will take the profitable power route and sell each console without taking a hit.

The key difference is that they will use the business model proven by Apple to work, which is to release incremental hardware updates.
Instead of seeing a slim console, you'll actually see a more powerful unit that makes you existing games run better and after several years developers can choose to phase out support for the older slower hardware should they so choose.

This way you can cater for the casual gamers, who'se games presumably don't need to be as shiny, whilst continuing to give the real hardcore games constantly improving graphics , whist also forcing your competitors into a bit of an awkward spot when you effectively have an endless generation that has several inherent years of backwards compatible games and a huge userbase sitting behind you.

This model would also support the notion that they are going to try and sell subsidised units via phone shops and cable suppliers, who will always have a customer at the end who can upgrade to the newest console for free/cheap.

I actually think that as a console gamer it would actually be pretty cool to go out and get the newest console, boot up your favourite game and discover it's now playable at 60fps when it wasn't before.

Of course, if this was Microsoft's intention, we wouldn't hear anything of for a couple of years.

artist

Banned
As I'm scrolling through the thread, I see the top of your avatar and immediately think EviLore. Heh
His bald spot that easy to spot?

Yeah Durante said the same thing. He even joked that MS marketing team had a pass on the leaked documents before they were released.

The whole "secret sauce" stuff derived from that renaming.
Pretty sure the secret sauce origins were from supposed insiders here ..

tinfoilhatman

all of my posts are my avatar
What I have learned from Neogaf today.

PS4 is far more powerful than next Xbox.
PS4 will be cheaper.
PS4 is easier to develop games on.
Xbox will be a DVR/Media Center that plays Kinect games on the side.
Xbox needs 8 gigs of RAM because of ADs.
MS will leave the industry.

Did I miss anything?

I will be shocked if either of the two following will be true

PS4 will be cheaper---4 Gigs GDDR5 WAY more expensive than 8 Gigs DDR3
PS4 is easier to develop games on.---Microsoft has ALWAYS delivered better SDK's and development tools than Sony.
PS4 is far more powerful than next Xbox.-----I'd say "far" more powerful is a little bit of a reach, we'll see how it all shakes out when official specs are released , Sony has a very very very poor track record of being honest\clear about their hardware's true capabilities.

Either way both are a bit of a disappointment(More so for MS) and I'm just not that excited for the upcoming generation.....if neither has build in BC then I'm done with console gaming all together until their down to 149-199$.

JJD

His bald spot that easy to spot?

Pretty sure the secret sauce origins were from supposed insiders here ..

They mistook common AMD GPU components when they saw the new names. It's all in the beginning of this thread. Search for aegis posts.

Ales

Neo Member
The specs are good enough, everyday people will be satisfied even if it was only 3X the Xbox 360 in power.

some people are only complaining because the PS4 specs seem to be higher.

I do not think it is true or the WiiU would be selling like crazy and instead is in trouble.Let's say for once the truth without hypocrisy power and graphics are the most important things to the launch of a new console to attract users.The Wii was just a fluke.

Valnen

I do not think it is true or the WiiU would be selling like crazy and instead is in trouble.Let's say for once the truth without hypocrisy power and graphics are the most important things to the launch of a new console to attract users.The Wii was just a fluke.

I think the only reason the Wii did as well as it did at launch was because HDTV's weren't as widespread as they are now. You could still go to the store and buy an SDTV. Can't do that these days. Pretty much every display is 1080p or higher now.

MaulerX

I don't know about you guys, but I'm actually more interested than ever to read more on these other hardware helpers. The DME's (4 of them) the Display planes (3 of them, each capable of different resolutions) etc... Who knows what else. Perhaps a Hana chip 2.0 that that up scales games to 4K resolution. I guess the Special Sauce is not one specific thing, but rather a combo of minor things that when working in tandem makes for a formidable result.

And Kinect jokes aside, really now, the potential of super accurate body, finger and facial/lip tracking has me stoked. Think of the possibilities. Add Kinect 2.0 tracking and voice recognition with the rumored Project Fortaleza VR glasses and we might be in for some serious and unique gaming experiences. Can't wait.

I think the only reason the Wii did as well as it did at launch was because HDTV's weren't as widespread as they are now. You could still go to the store and buy an SDTV. Can't do that these days. Pretty much every display is 1080p or higher now.

Maybe if you had said 720p or higher I'd have agreed...unless you're talking about computer monitors and not TVs

Jack_AG

Banned

Irrelevant. If you know why it panned out that way and have even the slightest knowledge about tech - you'd know this time is drastically different.

You are correct - proof is in the pudding - but this time we're comparing chocolate vs chocolate, not chocolate vs vanilla like back then.

Whole different ball game this time, bro.

The PS3 and 360 weren't using the exact same basic architecture for their CPU and GPU. They each had their own strengths and weaknesses and required a very different approach to development to maximise their potential. Durango has no major advantages over Orbis thus far (outside of a larger RAM pool, which is of questionable benefit for graphics functions) and the same development approach will always lead to games running better on Orbis.

Codeblew

Seriously. If Sony would just fix their damn controller to my liking, I would gladly give them more business. I'm pretty annoyed that the 720 is looking significantly weaker because it means I might have to deal with Sony's horrible controller design. Hell, I still might buy multiplats on the 720.

I like the DS3 so I have never really looked but don't they make aftermarket DS3 clones in different sizes?

Top Bottom