• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Turlast

Banned
Really loving the netcode and the overall game right about now. Had no idea there were so many different throws. The Tutorial Mode's pretty awesome, along with the Training Mode. I got my ass kicked a good amount, but I haven't played since the Genesis port of Virtua Fighter 2, so that's to be expected.

Downloading. Going to take a while. My roommate just ordered a bunch of Spike drinks, so I'll be up later playing.

PSN: biscuit5001

alstein

Got asked to play a few player matches immediately- so brought in Lvl.1 power of moe.

Question: is there any way to kill the timer when both players are ready in a player match?

just did a set with somebody. Reminds me a lot of VF5's netcode. When its good, its great, but sometimes it'll hiccup and the game gets sluggish. Completely throws off my rythim.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I was wondering, can someone explain the Evasion - 2 and Evasion - 4 tutorials to me? I'm really not sure what they're trying to each in those ones.

Degen

can someone explain to me why Wolf's "Burning Hammer" does that much damage? what are the disadvantages vs doing a regular throw (for example)?

BadWolf

No clue what I'm doing lol.

Two online matches and two wins though, mashing ftw.

EDIT: Are there only two costumes?

AAK

I'm going through practice mode and testing the game out before I play...

FUCK this game is awesome! Makes me kind of sad I don't have any local competition since my internet is so crappy. But wow, I can already tell how thrilling this game can be once you get at a high level.

kunonabi

Going to take some getting used to Goh not having his f,f + P hit throw.

I think I might finally pick up some other characters.

I've been meaning to learn Pai or Lau for awhile.

tapedeck

Do I win a prize for talking about my penis on the Internet???
Just realized the game is free with PS+, Sony youre doing it right. Just wish I could pay the 15 buck difference for the complete edition lol.

Yes.

Just buy a year. It's 4 bucks a month to rent games like this, the 10 others they have this month, and every future game. Then on to PS4.

I think I'll bank on 720's backwards compatibility and get the 360 version. Buying digital games is worrying enough from an "ownership" point of view. Plus sounds kind of cool but it makes my purchases feel even more phantom-like.

Did they switch the date for this? I logged on right before checking this thread thinking it was out on the 4th and no joy.

Soulstar

I think I'll bank on 720's backwards compatibility and get the 360 version. Buying digital games is worrying enough from an "ownership" point of view. Plus sounds kind of cool but it makes my purchases feel even more phantom-like.

Did they switch the date for this? I logged on right before checking this thread thinking it was out on the 4th and no joy.

nope. PSN releases always come out on Tuesdays and XBL releases always come out on Wednesdays so it wouldn't have come out on the 4th.

Man you can change the music to VF5, VF5:R and even VF2! Fuck this has to be the greatest thing ever. I was listenting to all of the VF5 soundtracks and feel that vanilla 5 has the best music so this is super awesome for me.

Eh....30 bucks for the Complete Edition is a good deal...but my stick is 360 and so is my training partner so my hand is forced. Besides, I already bought all these fucking ms points so...

Grifter

is it confirmed that 360 won't get the sale?

Man you can change the music to VF5, VF5:R and even VF2! Fuck this has to be the greatest thing ever. I was listenting to all of the VF5 soundtracks and feel that vanilla 5 has the best music so this is super awesome for me.
holy shit! I used to listen to the music off my saturn copy of VF2 so this is huge for me. nothing memorable in VF5 but I'd like to hear the stuff in 5:R.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
can someone explain to me why Wolf's "Burning Hammer" does that much damage? what are the disadvantages vs doing a regular throw (for example)?
Smart players will tech Hammer, so you can use weaker throws for guaranteed damage.

I am traditionally a 2D guy, but this game is fucking awesome! Now I know why everybody who got a chance to play it was so pissed that Sega wasn't bringing it out over here.

Playing it now. I did most of the tutorial, I just have the Evasion ones left. Now I'm doing the command practice with Shun...

I feel pathetic for not being able to do these PP <- PP+K+G. Are you supposed to press the PP + K + G at the same time?

I mainly play 2D fighters but looking through this thread has made me break down and get the PS3 version of this.

My PSN ID is OchiChernye for those that want to thrash someone who has no idea what he is doing. :3

alstein

Played a 2 bar on PSN, noticed 2P , 2P beat my elbow online, which annoyed the hell out of me, because it shouldn't.

Also, I went to GG afterwards, but it wouldn't show the guy in my recently played- he either had me blocked for some reason, or it bugged. No idea if the guy was wireless, there was spikes so I suspect it.

Agent X

Although I originally planned on purchasing VF5FS anyway, I got the game through today's PlayStation Plus update. So far, I played a little single-player earlier, and it's excellent! I'm looking forward to getting in some online matches as well, since the original VF5 on PS3 never supported online play.

If you've got PS+, then you absolutely must download this game and play it. If you don't have PS+ (whether you're on PS3 or Xbox 360), then I'd say it's still easily worth the purchase price.

Playing it now. I did most of the tutorial, I just have the Evasion ones left. Now I'm doing the command practice with Shun...

I feel pathetic for not being able to do these PP <- PP+K+G. Are you supposed to press the PP + K + G at the same time?

Map PKG to one button and enjoy the good life.

I don't wanna rate this game a 10, because I've given two of those out already, but it's my favorite fighting game of this generation. It improves on almost every problem I had with the vanilla release years ago.

Sure, there are a few problems. No real Kumite mode, no free play with the CPU, and the lack of intros from the arcades are the only things I can bitch about. This year has been too good.

Top Bottom