• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

In there. Downloading Complete Edition now. Streaming a GAF lobby later.

FYI don't forget about the #vfgaf IRC channel on globalgamers.

p1000059m.jpg

Oh god please hurry

Hey, I know the usual reply is "try them all...see who you like." But can any VF vets actually give a VF newcomer at least a bit on guidance on which characters need a little less execution to make them tick? I never have the time to be a training room warrior, so in fighting games I usually have to pick someone who is a little more straight forward to actually get some wins in online.

Doomshine

Hey, I know the usual reply is "try them all...see who you like." But can any VF vets actually give a VF newcomer at least a bit on guidance on which characters need a little less execution to make them tick? I never have the time to be a training room warrior, so in fighting games I usually have to pick someone who is a little more straight forward to actually get some wins in online.

Everyone keeps saying Jean.

Downloading! :D

Good thing they discounted the customization packs for PS+ members too. Everything for under $25 is pretty sweet.

I dont think you need PSN+ for the discount. I just bought it for $29.99 and Im not a premium subscriber.

Edit: Unless everyone is talking about an additional discount.

saelz8

FYI, IRC is way easier for setting up matches (you don't need to have your xbox/ps3 on, much easier to communicate with a group of people at once). When we decided to all get together on IRC for Gundam EXVS, it became significantly easier to start up a lobby (and keep it populated).

irc.globalgamers.net
#vfgaf

Browser chat link if you don't know how/don't want to know how to setup an IRC client on your computer.

Quoted, for release. Join the IRC, folks.

MThanded

I Was There! Official L Receiver 2/12/2016
I dont think you need PSN+ for the discount. I just bought it for $29.99 and Im not a premium subscriber.

Edit: Unless everyone is talking about an additional discount.

there is another discount. If you have psn+

PlayStation®Plus subscribers will be able to download Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown free from PSN for one month after launch, and will have the option to purchase character customization DLC bundle packs for 20% off for two weeks from launch.

Onemic

FUCK YOU ALL

I wont be able to DL it until I get back from school, which won't be until 10pm. I won't be able to play this game until 1am if I'm lucky. :(

there is another discount. If you have psn+

PlayStation®Plus subscribers will be able to download Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown free from PSN for one month after launch, and will have the option to purchase character customization DLC bundle packs for 20% off for two weeks from launch.

Cool. I wasnt going to buy the custom packs at all, but $29.99 for the complete edition is a steal.

DRE Fei

Jean is a very straightforward character with no special stances or crazy movement options etc. He's a very fundamental character to start with.

Sayah

Downloading now and already at 17%. :D

Edit: Also, who's the most agile/fastest character in the game with crazy rushdown? That will be my main.

Onemic

If you are a newcoming stay away from Akira. Lei-Fei and Jacky are good choices. Lion and Kage are easy enough too.

Oh, isn't he the main protagonist in the series? I thought he of all people would be more about fundamentals than execution.

"There's no "L" in the Japanese language."

Didn't stop them with Virtual On. But there are quite a few sega franchises that are just "Virtua." Virtua Striker, Virtua Racing, Virtua Tennis.

I think they just sort of kept it.

Good thing I doubled back on the OT before I started up PSN.

Downloading now, and I'm at 9%. I'm a little surprised by the size of the download packs - they're around 100 megabytes on average, sometimes a bit over that. I think I'll snag them all before I start playing the game.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Classic dumb question:

Is Lion supposed to be pronounced "Lion" as in the cat, or "Leon" as in the S. Kennedy?

I always thought it was "Leon" with a Engrish spelling twist, but...

Classic dumb question:

Is Lion supposed to be pronounced "Lion" as in the cat, or "Leon" as in the S. Kennedy?

I always thought it was "Leon" with a Engrish spelling twist, but...

It's "Leon". I guess they spelled it that way because they thought it looked more regal. Either that or because of the whole Le/Li thing with Japanese.

DRE Fei

Oh, isn't he the main protagonist in the series? I thought he of all people would be more about fundamentals than execution.

He's basically the poster boy, but he's very execution heavy. I'd start with someone like Jean, Jacky, Pai, Sarah or even Taka.

KTallguy

Banned
If you're new to VF, don't pick Lei Fei or Akira. I'd also avoid El Blaze because he's very high risk, Kage and Shun are also a bit difficult. Vanessa has too many moves, so she's confusing for newbies. Jacky and Jean are very strong, Pai and Sarah are fast, rushdown characters. Jeffery and Wolf are bruisers. Goh is a little more unconventional but gets great damage, Brad has a bunch of stances but isn't tooo bad. Eileen is also kind of stance heavy.

Edit: Oh yeah, Lion is good but a bit tricky with movement. Still, very strong. And Lau is like Pai but slightly more straightforward, I guess. Aoi used to be worse but now she gets pretty great damage, but a lot of her stuff relies on stance canceling and move canceling, lots of sabakis and other risky moves. It's a bold choice for a first character.

It's good to start with orthodox characters like Jacky, Jean, or Lau because you learn the fundamentals much more quickly. I started with Vanessa back in the day, and she's really great, but only recently has she gotten a true elbow, knee, and standard P,K string. The normal nitaku never applied to her game in VF4, which made her very weird; less guaranteed damage but more potential for big damage. Now that she has those moves I'm learning to play more orthodox vf, which is probably what I should have been learning 8-10 years ago.

Quadratic

I'm so excited that I'm a PSN+ subscriber. This is awesome. I was on the fence about buying both versions. I'll pick up the 360 version later this week.

I was already a PS+ Subscriber, and I was hoping for at most a sale on this day one. I thought it might be free one day down the line with PS+, but that was too far out and too much chance.

Then this happened.

arit

Is the 30us complete version a single download or is it just an additional 15us dlc option within the next two weeks?

Is the 30us complete version a single download or is it just an additional 15us dlc option within the next two weeks?

It's the latter. You pay for it all at once, and you get the base game and all the customization packs, but (from what I'm seeing, at least) you have to download them individually.

Top Bottom