• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

The online is excellent. The game seems like it would be mad fun at a competitive level.

My only very minor complaints:
1. Jumping feels really weird.
2. Online lobby time waits don't make sense.

Also, what's the stage that has the moon in the background? It's covered with walls on three sides but the front side has a ring out. I need to know.

Online is excellent? There's lag in the inputs. That's not excellent online. That's crap.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
The online is excellent. The game seems like it would be mad fun at a competitive level.

My only very minor complaints:
1. Jumping feels really weird.
2. Online lobby time waits don't make sense.

Also, what's the stage that has the moon in the background? It's covered with walls on three sides but the front side has a ring out. I need to know.

There's no stage like that...? If you're thinking about the moon stage, that's probably Dural's stage, and it only has 1 wall.

Sayah

There's no stage like that...? If you're thinking about the moon stage, that's probably Dural's stage, and it only has 1 wall.

Just found it. It's Deep mountain. There are walls on two sides, not three.
Anyways, the game was auto-selecting stages so I couldn't tell what the stage was. The MUSIC on that stage. SO GOOD. That's why I wanted to know. From 1:16 is just WOW.

Online is excellent? There's lag in the inputs. That's not excellent online. That's crap.

I played games with AAK and it was a WHOLE LOT better than T6, SSFIV, or SFXTK. T6 and SFXTK are filled with disconnects while SSFIV can get freezing and lag issues.

Played and lost all 10 of my ranked matches =( But I got dat trophy. I'm liking Eileen alot just need to memorize all her moves, figure out what her best punishers and pokes are, and find some bread & butters. And I so wish there was a save screenshot feature so we could all share our customizations.

MightyKAC

It's good to know that Brad still feels as good as he did in VF4 Evo.

Falling in love with this game all over again and it's awesome.

Edgeward

Oh my goodness. Games are so tense! I never felt like I had to worry about match-up but worry more about the opponent's patterns and tendencies. I need to practice more later though. Having a block button is too much for me right now. And I get more worried about lows than I should.

Gonna try more tomorrow. I don't ever play grapplers but I will make Wolf work for me goddammit.

so I had Eileen customized with a recorder as her waist item and it turns out that she sometimes plays when she wins a match...I quite like that.

Onemic

Using lion currently, but the game seems pretty fun so far. And the customization is absolutely fuck awesome. At the moment I'm literally just mashing buttons and don't really know what I'm doing. By the weekend I'll be able to go to the lab with a character and see how they tick.

Edgeward

Also, fast inputs. What a pain in the ass to pull off. Getting Wolf's Emerald Frosion fast input or dd5 is stupid hard. Not like it matters in matches but those were the only two moves I could not do in command mode and it annoyed me.

Although I have only played for an hour or so, I can safely say this is the best fighting game I have ever played before. But now I gotta promise myself to play someone other than Lei Fei...which is difficult because he is so much fun to play as. VF is back in my life and it's great!

Now to play some dress-up with my little Virtua guys and gals. Can't wait to see what kinda weird stuff is in the dlc packs.

For PS3 does this game have Dolby Digital or Linear PCM (multich on my reciever)? It went straight to prologic II and I had to end up switching it to stereo for it to sound the best.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!

MrMephistoX

Games absolutely awesome but I kinda miss the hockey single player rpg lite mode from VF5 where you tour around different arcades fighting AI ghosts to unlock costume packs.

Onemic

Fei Lei is fun, but he seems like he would be really difficult to master due to his multiple stances. Might just stick with lion long term.

ggs AAK, you came back after those first few matches. I was literally just mashing shit and then realized I was never using K for half of the match because the button config was setup for a controller and not an arcade stick. Changing it and finally using K led to so many weird ass stances.

Sayah

Also forgot to mention I suplex'd AAK out of the ring. Was hilarious. But then he proceeded to kick my ass.

I think it's ridiculously awesome how you can change between all those different musics. Don't think I have seen one with that many to choose from before. I will probably be doing the custom soundtrack thing, but Sega deserves props for adding that to the game.

Just found it. It's Deep mountain. There are walls on two sides, not three.
Anyways, the game was auto-selecting stages so I couldn't tell what the stage was. The MUSIC on that stage. SO GOOD. That's why I wanted to know. From 1:16 is just WOW.

I played games with AAK and it was a WHOLE LOT better than T6, SSFIV, or SFXTK. T6 and SFXTK are filled with disconnects while SSFIV can get freezing and lag issues.

All those games are shitty ass netcode filled with Capcpom. Yes this is better then those netcodes, but those netcodes are shit to begin with. Tekken 6's netcode was an abortion. SFXTK was hilariously bad. Mortal Kombat? Oh lawdy. Street Fighter 4's netcode was good enough for scrubby play.

Netcode in VF5 is better then those but still not suited for some really good play.

Sayah

All those games are shitty ass netcode filled with Capcpom. Yes this is better then those netcodes, but those netcodes are shit to begin with. Tekken 6's netcode was an abortion. SFXTK was hilariously bad. Mortal Kombat? Oh lawdy. Street Fighter 4's netcode was good enough for scrubby play.

Netcode in VF5 is better then those but still not suited for some really good play.

Well, at least it's an improvement. Or maybe it's harder to notice for me since (for the time being) I'm mashing a lot and not playing like a VF expert.

SickBoy

I forgot about the learning curve playing online. There's definitely some talent out there, but I also think that that little bit of latency that can't be helped kind of affects the experience. I find myself more one dimensional at times, and that's often an effective play.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Won some, lost some in ranked. 7th Kyu now whatever the hell that is.

So, uh, went to Player Match after getting the 10 win achievement and got my ass handed to me by that Chinese Monk dude who's name is escaping me. Someone's put some serious time in on PS3 because he wasn't button mashing like me and a few other people.

Oh well, I hope Player Match isn't filled with those people and that the matchmaking for quick match doesn't put me with them too often.

Vanessa is still awesome but I've forgotten her moves to where I'm mashing trying to adjust from the 360 controller and trying to pull moves off.

At least the achievements are easy. I got the arcade stuff in like 10 minutes. Leaves the training modes and score attack to do.

Kujo is the bane of my existance right now since they do that forward fist slam attack and completely break Vanessa's guard even if you change to defense (BTW, is there anyway to change stance/offensive, defense mode without having to break guard/go on the offensive/be neutral?). *sigh*

Netcode is uh... it's tolerable, but it's no Arc System Works or DoA2U netcode.

LevityNYC

Banned
Not really a fighting game fan. Did some trophy whoring...starting to like the game. Will play more.

Thanks Playstation Plus!

Pachimari

I think I'm gonna main Vanessa, she were my favorite in the original VF5 - is she hard to learn? I guess this game is more about reading your opponent, than actual character differences?

Man, there are some strong players out there. Was doing just fine and got up to 4th Kyu before I kept getting matched up with a Sarah/Akira/Eileen trio that would just stomp me into oblivion.

To the better players in here, how does one know when to use throws? Are they only after large unsafe moves? Because my usual habit of training people to block isn't working. Throws come out considerably slower here than I'm used to and I get stuffed by strikes damn near every time.

Man, there are some strong players out there. Was doing just fine and got up to 4th Kyu before I kept getting matched up with a Sarah/Akira/Eileen trio that would just stomp me into oblivion.

To the better players in here, how does one know when to use throws? Are they only after large unsafe moves? Because my usual habit of training people to block isn't working. Throws come out considerably slower here than I'm used to and I get stuffed by strikes damn near every time.

Don't use them as punishes. Typically first you set up a frame trap game, to make your opponent think you're going to attack again, then you throw. It lends itself more to the rock/paper/scissors gameplay in that way. Granted, I'm not an expert, but that's the most effective use in my experience.

Don't use them as punishes. Typically first you set up a frame trap game, to make your opponent think you're going to attack again, then you throw. It lends itself more to the rock/paper/scissors gameplay in that way. Granted, I'm not an expert, but that's the most effective use in my experience.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but if I stop striking for a single moment to go for a throw, I eat a punch because as soon as they're out of block stun they're throwing strikes, or even more infuriatingly, I'll correctly guess that they're going to duck, so I go for a low throw, but they don't duck FAST enough and my low throw whiffs.

Yeah, that's what I figured, but if I stop striking for a single moment to go for a throw, I eat a punch because as soon as they're out of block stun they're throwing strikes, or even more infuriatingly, I'll correctly guess that they're going to duck, so I go for a low throw, but they don't duck FAST enough and my low throw whiffs.

Make sure you're using low punches, which is usually the best way to train people not to strike as soon as you're done with a punch string. Attack strings that put you at a disadvantage are going to leave you open regardless though, so you have to know your character and pick your moments.*

*Again, I'm not an expert though

Make sure you're using low punches, which is usually the best way to train people not to strike as soon as you're done with a punch string. Attack strings that put you at a disadvantage are going to leave you open regardless though, so you have to know your character and pick your moments.*

*Again, I'm not an expert though

That something that can be learned by feel or am I required to actually go digging through frame data?

sonicmj1

How playable is VF with a controller? I don't have an arcade stick at the moment, and I'd rather wait to shell out for one if I can.

Pachimari

How playable is VF with a controller? I don't have an arcade stick at the moment, and I'd rather wait to shell out for one if I can.

They say it's pad compatible, so you should be just fine in VF5: FS.
I myself is waiting to buy 2 Hori Arcade Sticks as well.

Top Bottom