• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

LowerLevel

Eh....30 bucks for the Complete Edition is a good deal...but my stick is 360 and so is my training partner so my hand is forced. Besides, I already bought all these fucking ms points so...

In the same exact boat pretty much. Using the PS+ for off time, when wife/daughter want the parlor TV practice.

benzy

I'm hoping there isn't any differences graphically between 360 and ps3. I'm tempted to get the ps3 version right now before further impressions and tech analysis.

Buhhhhh, how the hell do you do evasion 2 in the tutorial?

Nevermind, I know how to do it now, but holy christ this 5 times in a row or it resets horseshit is fucking vile.

quick couple of questions

1. PS+ how long is it free for?

2. What is the difference in a red arrow and a white arrow? white hold or tap or red hold or tap?

Onemic

Finally got the game....Now I need to wait for it to download. :(

PSN: onem1c

Add me and get our asses beat together!

Purchased, downloading, probably won't be able to play until thursday.

I'll look forward to continuing my .500 record with Lei Fei.

AAK

Anyone know what an EX-High move does? I know Ex mid means that it can be blocked high or low. What about EX-High?

sleepykyo

Bought the cheap (ie. base game) version, downloaded. Wouldn't install, possibly a corrupted download.

Eh, serves me right I guess. Looks I'm not playing tonight, how is the online?

Anyone know what an EX-High move does? I know Ex mid means that it can be blocked high or low. What about EX-High?

You can read up more here

http://virtuafighter.com/wiki/vf5/system_part_2#attack_levels

but the point of interest

Special High Attacks

Also known as EX High.

Special high attacks will whiff characters that are merely crouching. However, they can hit characters that are executing a crouching low attack

Special Mid Attacks

Also known as EX Mid.

A special mid attack is a mid attack that can be safely guarded while ducking or standing. An example is Shun's Chouwan [d][df][f][P]. This makes the attack less powerful as special mids are easier to guard than other mid attacks.

A special mid forces a crouch guarding opponent to stand while breaking their guard. Some special mid attacks have a followup attack. Against a crouch guarding opponent, this followup to the special mid will be a guaranteed hit. An example of this is Akira's [d_][f][P] (guard or hit) [P]. If the [d_][f][P] is guarded by a crouching player, then the followup [P] is guaranteed to hit.

Special Low Attacks

Also known as EX Low.

A Special low attack is a low attack that can be guarded while standing. An example of this is the low punch [d][P]. This makes the attack less powerful as special lows are easier to guard than other low attacks.

So, I bought this and played for a couple hours.

The online seems alright, I don't know if I can fairly judge it since I am at such a low level. One gripe I have is that I can't land Lion's ff+P, PKP, KK combo on anyone(unless there is a wall). And it seemed to work okay in training mode.

Tutorial sucks compared to VF4:Evo, still better than most I suppose. I am slightly miffed that I actually have to go VF.com to learn wall combos.

Otherwise game is AWESOME. I missed Lion so such. <3

Question. How does one deal with the getup kick that hits mid? It is unsafe correct? It seems obvious to try get out of its range.

Strangely enough, I see Jacky more than any body online.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Finally able to buy it, but the DLC outfits not on sale for individual purchases is WTF. I should be able to buy these at a discount like the bundle has, Sega. :/

branny

Agh, damn it. I forgot to turn off my downloads before installing the game. fuuuuu

edit: I'm beyond thrilled about the $29.99 deal. Incredible bargain.

This game is awesome. Bless you for releasing this Sega.

How do you use your extra costumes....

derp
Customize one in Terminal, save it, and then either press Square on the character in offline mode character select, or just pick it from the list in online character select.

So, I bought this and played for a couple hours.

The online seems alright, I don't know if I can fairly judge it since I am at such a low level. One gripe I have is that I can't land Lion's ff+P, PKP, KK combo on anyone(unless there is a wall). And it seemed to work okay in training mode.

Tutorial sucks compared to VF4:Evo, still better than most I suppose. I am slightly miffed that I actually have to go VF.com to learn wall combos.

Otherwise game is AWESOME. I missed Lion so such. <3

Question. How does one deal with the getup kick that hits mid? It is unsafe correct? It seems obvious to try get out of its range.

The rising mid kick (neutral k while getting up) should either be guarded or back away from. You can break it with certain moves for each character, but the timing tends to be strict for the risk involved. Generally if your opponent is doing a lot of rising mid kicks you can block and punish with anything 15f of faster which is almost anything from most characters' punches and elbow class moves to a throw. Low rising kick (down and K while getting up) is also punishable on guard, but the opponent is already in a crouched position, so any elbow class move that has special properties on counter hit will be useful.

Basically, if they're doing a lot of rising kicks, guard and smack them.

The rising mid kick (neutral k while getting up) should either be guarded or back away from. You can break it with certain moves for each character, but the timing tends to be strict for the risk involved. Generally if your opponent is doing a lot of rising mid kicks you can block and punish with anything 15f of faster which is almost anything from most characters' punches and elbow class moves to a throw. Low rising kick (down and K while getting up) is also punishable on guard, but the opponent is already in a crouched position, so any elbow class move that has special properties on counter hit will be useful.

Basically, if they're doing a lot of rising kicks, guard and smack them.

Thanks for the help. You just reminded me that I should fiddle around with the Frame data tomorrow.

This game is awesome. Bless you for releasing this Sega.

Customize one in Terminal, save it, and then either press Square on the character in offline mode character select, or just pick it from the list in online character select.

Thanks.

I am crazy tired right now...so I'll play it in depth tomorrow.

Maybe I am easy to please but this game looks pretty damn good.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So without the dlc, what mode isn't working, kumite or whatever it is in FS?

Without the DLC you cannot access the special sparring, which pits you against AI with customizations.

RS4-

HOLD ON.

To buy the complete game on PSN it costs $30
To buy the complete game on XBL it costs $???

$45 on XBL

Without the DLC you cannot access the special sparring, which pits you against AI with customizations.

Ah thanks. So there's no other way to customize/earn items outside of buying them huh.

:|

edit - ok read that there's no way to earn items unless you buy dlc.

Ah thanks. So there's no other way to customize/earn items outside of buying them huh.

:|

edit - ok read that there's no way to earn items unless you buy dlc.
The extra item data is not in the game until you download them from the item packs. They're not unlock codes.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Oichi, please change my PS3 tag to "lyteedge2" in the OP- playing this on my U.S. account. Not sure if this is accurate, but the game seems to be like Capcom fighters in that it's trying to match me up with Asian players when I do match searches for the same area on my J-account. That or there just happened to be nobody doing player matches when I tried searching...

akuma001

all i wanted to do today was get to 5th dan on rank. now i can eat dinner and mess around with combos and crap

IMG_5052.jpg

i'm sure by tomorrow people will be 10th dan's

Sayah

The online is excellent. The game seems like it would be mad fun at a competitive level.

My only very minor complaints:
1. Jumping feels really weird.
2. Online lobby time waits don't make sense.

Also, what's the stage that has the moon in the background? It's covered with walls on three sides but the front side has a ring out. I need to know.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
Those who bought complete edition / all the DLC: do you just get all the items at once to customize away, or do you still have to "earn" them by playing matches in-game?

The online is excellent. The game seems like it would be mad fun at a competitive level.

My only very minor complaints:
1. Jumping feels really weird.
2. Online lobby time waits don't make sense.

Also, what's the stage that has the moon in the background? It's covered with walls on three sides but the front side has a ring out. I need to know.

You don't jump in the game unless it is an accident, so don't worry about that.

"You don't jump in the game unless it is an accident, so don't worry about that."

Not true, jumping is very good against a knocked down opponent.

"all i wanted to do today was get to 5th dan on rank. now i can eat dinner and mess around with combos and crap"

I ran into you twice! Quit hitting me :(.

Zophar

I'm hoping there isn't any differences graphically between 360 and ps3. I'm tempted to get the ps3 version right now before further impressions and tech analysis.

PS3 version looks gorgeous from my experience. IIRC the only thing the 360 version had going over the vanilla release graphically was extra anti-aliasing, which I'm pretty certain was solved on PS3 for this release.

I love this game, bought it three times now.

Those who bought complete edition / all the DLC: do you just get all the items at once to customize away, or do you still have to "earn" them by playing matches in-game?

all the items at once...and I've got to say it feels nice, a bit restrict depending on the base costume, but I'm enjoying it.

Top Bottom