• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Edgeward

Punches will always beat out your throw attempts, so you need to make them fear your attack first before doing a throw. Throws are generally quick, they generally range from 10-14 f IIRC from the ultrachen vids.

You should learn a solid string instead of many, or just repeat standing punch. P G P G repeat, it won't start a chain and keeps having you lead with your fastest attack. Then again, I'm a scrub.

Can you explain how to do it? I haven't figured out evasion-2 or evasion-4.

If 2 is about df df G then you need to take the first two hits, then do you dash first then quickly press G. The point of it is to first dash under the CPU's throw attempt then immediately block his jab or whatever. Once I understood that, I was able to pass that tutorial. Do not ever combine inputs, it won't work. So make sure you don't do it as df df+g

Punches will always beat out your throw attempts, so you need to make them fear your attack first before doing a throw. Throws are generally quick, they generally range from 10-14 f IIRC from the ultrachen vids.

You should learn a solid string instead of many, or just repeat standing punch. P G P G repeat, it won't start a chain and keeps having you lead with your fastest attack. Then again, I'm a scrub.

Wait, you can cancel punch with G? With which characters?

kdash7

Is there any vibration feedback option in VF5 Showdown?? On the PS3. I cant find it anywhere. Would be wonderful if it does..right now i just cant feel this game *.*

That something that can be learned by feel or am I required to actually go digging through frame data?

There's probably something on VFDC that will tell you the best attacks to set up frame traps with your character.

Typically PP, then follow up with a low punch will train people to pause a bit, but you can probably find better info on the strategy wiki.

Edgeward

Wait, you can cancel punch with G? With which characters?

I just mean reset yourself after a jab so you don't start a chain and can repeat st jab again. It's the fastest way to do it instead of waiting for the character to reset so it doesn't interpret it as a string command. So instead of getting PPP you can always get just P repeatedly, which has good frame advantage.

kunonabi

man I'm not having good luck with the netcode. Green connections are pretty laggy. This new throw system isn't helping. I keep getting low throws since I'm used to having diagonal throws.

There's probably something on VFDC that will tell you the best attacks to set up frame traps with your character.

Typically PP, then follow up with a low punch will train people to pause a bit, but you can probably find better info on the strategy wiki.

Yeah, I'm sure, but that's not really what I asked. I asked if its feasible to just learn this kind of thing by feel, or if the only way I'm going to get anywhere is by digging through frame data.

You telling me where I can get frame data tho, doesn't give me much hope for the situation though.

Edit: Also, what's the point of sidestepping? Everytime I sidestep, they track me with their string and I eat the same combo anyway.

d0c_zaius

Yeah, I'm sure, but that's not really what I asked. I asked if its feasible to just learn this kind of thing by feel, or if the only way I'm going to get anywhere is by digging through frame data.

You telling me where I can get frame data tho, doesn't give me much hope for the situation though.

I dunno, I think its learnable by feel. At least thats how I've been doing it since VF1.

I dunno, I think its learnable by feel. At least thats how I've been doing it since VF1.

Works for me! Also, yknow what the deal with sidestepping is? What's the point? Is it only useful against single attacks because when I dodge out of the way of the first hit of a string, I still get hit with the string if I try and do anything to the other player.

Edit: Also, what's the point of sidestepping? Everytime I sidestep, they track me with their string and I eat the same combo anyway.

Yea, as you play you'll get a hang of the flow of combat, and have a better understanding of when you have the advantage. I think you'll catch on quicker by learning which moves to focus on from better players though. Or going into training and looking at the data.

So yes, it's feasible to pick up everything on your own, but seems like a waste when so much info is readily available through different means.

Edit: Sidestepping is useful if you know what move an opponent is going to use. A lot of this game is reading your opponent and knowing when they're going to attack you with what. So if you know they're going to attack you with a move that is side-steppable, like a powerful vertical strike, you can sidestep to victory. If they're going to punch string you, then side-stepping can be a bad idea. Usually that just comes from match-up experience, and player experience, since different players can play the same character wildly differently.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Works for me! Also, yknow what the deal with sidestepping is? What's the point? Is it only useful against single attacks because when I dodge out of the way of the first hit of a string, I still get hit with the string if I try and do anything to the other player.

If you evade an attack in a string, don't counter attack, let them finish their string and it won't track you. Then you can do something.

You can also evade mid-string, so if someone is doing, say Jean's d/f+PP to you, you can block the first one and then evade the second one.

Yea, as you play you'll get a hang of the flow of combat, and have a better understanding of when you have the advantage. I think you'll catch on quicker by learning which moves to focus on from better players though. Or going into training and looking at the data.

So yes, it's feasible to pick up everything on your own, but seems like a waste when so much info is readily available through different means.

Two things. One, the idea of reading through charts of frame data does not appeal to me.

Second, went to VFDC, there weren't any resources on frametraps that you mentioned, so there really isn't that much readily available info.

Guys, what's the best option (arcade sticks, gamepads) to play the game in the range 100-150€ on xbox? I'd really like to put many hours into the game, but the 360's controller is a pain to play with

"Guys, what's the best option (arcade sticks, gamepads) to play the game in the range 100-150€ on xbox? I'd really like to put many hours into the game, but the 360's controller is a pain to play with"

I don't know euro prices, but doing a rough conversion in my head, 100-150e should get you any of the best non-custom sticks on the market.

Mad Catz Tournament Edition
Hori Real Arcade Pro
Qanba Q4RAF
Eightarc (which are essentially rebranded Qanba's)

You should be golden with any of those 4.

"Guys, what's the best option (arcade sticks, gamepads) to play the game in the range 100-150€ on xbox? I'd really like to put many hours into the game, but the 360's controller is a pain to play with"

I don't know euro prices, but doing a rough conversion in my head, 100-150e should get you any of the best non-custom sticks on the market.

Hori Real Arcade Pro
Qanba Q4RAF

Are any but the Qanba Q4RAF dual modded? Because if not, that feels like an easy winner. I prefer my Qanba to my Mad Catz TE, it's great.

"Are any but the Qanba Q4RAF dual modded? Because if not, that feels like an easy winner. I prefer my Qanba to my Mad Catz TE, it's great."

Some Eightarc sticks are (since they are technically Qanba's).

I saw it, and also saw that it hasn't been updated in 5 years. Can that possibly still be relevant at all?

Afaik no character has had their play style dramatically altered. Some things might be different, but you should be able to use that as a jumping off point, especially when you're just starting out.

There's a changelog here, which should detail the differences. I'm not familiar with Wolf at all, so I can't really speak to how different he is in FS.

Hori Real Arcade Pro
Qanba Q4RAF

Don't do any conversion, in the gaming industry 150€ = 150$
Among those you named, what's the best in terms of materials/the sturdiest?

firehawk12

Subete no aware
If 2 is about df df G then you need to take the first two hits, then do you dash first then quickly press G. The point of it is to first dash under the CPU's throw attempt then immediately block his jab or whatever. Once I understood that, I was able to pass that tutorial. Do not ever combine inputs, it won't work. So make sure you don't do it as df df+g

Ah, that makes more sense. I thought the point was to avoid those two hits as well, so I had no idea why nothing was happening!

"Don't do any conversion, in the gaming industry 150€ = 150$
Among those you named, what's the best in terms of materials/the sturdiest?"

They are all more or less equal in this regard. They all pretty much use the same sticks/buttons (unless you get a special edition that has a different brand of parts or something) and they're all basically a plastic shell (though I think one Qanba stick has an MDF shell?) with some kind of metal base and a metal panel where the buttons/stick are held. Some might feel slightly more hollow than others or vice versa, but yeah, I don't think any of them have any huge advantage over the others as far as materials are concerned.

"Don't do any conversion, in the gaming industry 150€ = 150$
Among those you named, what's the best in terms of materials/the sturdiest?"

They are all more or less equal in this regard. They all pretty much use the same sticks/buttons (unless you get a special edition that has a different brand of parts or something) and they're all basically a plastic shell (though I think one Qanba stick has an MDF shell?) with some kind of metal base and a metal panel where the buttons/stick are held. Some might feel slightly more hollow than others or vice versa, but yeah, I don't think any of them have any huge advantage over the others as far as materials are concerned.

ok thank you very much, I'll look into it later today and I'll pick the one I like more
and then I'll kick your ass online :>
jk... thank you again <3

Daigoro

ready to start the download, cmon xbox live.

my stick came yesterday! several days early, very cool.

too bad im sick as a dog, and prob wont be able to put in too much time today. maybe if i take frequent breaks... i feel like shit.

Daigoro

"Guys, what's the best option (arcade sticks, gamepads) to play the game in the range 100-150&#8364; on xbox? I'd really like to put many hours into the game, but the 360's controller is a pain to play with"

Hori Real Arcade Pro
Qanba Q4RAF

dont forget the Hori SC5 stick. shit is nice! seems nicer than the RAP.

Ok, I just logged on to my 360 and it's listed in arcade now.

edit: wow each bundle pack is 1.93 gigs

wow, each individual character pack is 1.93.

looks like its the whole pack, but only parts are unlocked because "pack 1" is 1.93 as well.

Top Bottom