• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

saelz8

Can anyone with the 360 version check if they have 2 item packs in VF's memory folder? (If you've bought both)

woooo so many changes done to lots of characters, gotta re-learn from vanilla VF5

Shun has so much stuff now, it will take my a long time to get to flow like before but I will manage

to balance Shun's difficulty I will also practice with Lau too

danmaku

He won't see it. You have to have packs to see others customization's, and they you.

I think that's the biggest problem for Sega. The whole point of customization is showing your character to others. If you can't, the value of the items is much lower in the eye of the player.

fionel

Damn, it looks like only the US PSN offers the complete edition at a lower price than getting the base game and DLCs individually. Japan PSN only has the base game and the 2 sets of DLC for download :( Guess its time to get some US PSN cards to save a few bucks...

I think that's the biggest problem for Sega. The whole point of customization is showing your character to others. If you can't, the value of the items is much lower in the eye of the player.

I bought the Complete Pack last night but only downloaded the base game because I wanted to play right away before waiting for all the DLC to download.

basically a player that has customization or costumes C, D, E, S will just show up as costume A or B on your console.

that's the way i saw it.

Daigoro

woooo so many changes done to lots of characters, gotta re-learn from vanilla VF5

Shun has so much stuff now, it will take my a long time to get to flow like before but I will manage

to balance Shun's difficulty I will also practice with Lau too

yeah its crazy. Shun feels so much different. combos and moves feel so wrong. this is gonna take a while.

can someone help me with Evasion 4? am i supposed to be hit and then evade and >>G?

if i evade too soon, she doesnt follow up with an attack, but if i get hit im staggered. maybe i just gotta be quicker after she connects? im confused.

edit: never mind i got it. ill never be able to pull that off playing an actual opponent.

BadWolf

On the Ultrachen stream the other day, LAAkira suggested Jean as a good starting point for beginners because he's based around fundamentals, so maybe he's what you're looking for.

Thanks man, I think I'll go with him then.

His moves hit hard and he looks very cool, great animation.

About how many costume items are there per character? I fucked up and bought the base game instead of the one with the bundled add-on content and I want to know if it's worth buying these packs.

Deps

I've never played VF, but having a lot of fun. Netcode feels amazing, better than SC5/BB, only skullgirls on a great connection feels better. Also really surprised about Akira. All I saw was that hes really execution heavy and how beginners shouldn't play him, but aside from his knee which I'm starting to get, he's not that hard.

remz

I've never played VF, but having a lot of fun. Netcode feels amazing, better than SC5/BB, only skullgirls on a great connection feels better. Also really surprised about Akira. All I saw was that hes really execution heavy and how beginners shouldn't play him, but aside from his knee which I'm starting to get, he's not that hard.

A lot the talk about akira is due to people thinking he's ryu ... so i think it's usually exaggerated

AwRy108

So, yeah, this game alone has justified my PS+ membership. I played a ton of VF4Evo (PS2) and quite a bit of VF5 on PS3, but, man, it's so great to finally have a VF game w/ online play on a Sony console.

Played Ranked Matches for several hours last night, my Shun Di (dan 2) is ranked in the top 5% on the scoreboards. That said, I still need a lot of work--the top-tier players aren't going to fall for my Drunken Master trickery unless I expand my arsenal and find more efficient ways of getting Shun drunk without sacrificing my chances to do damage.

Virtua Fighter is such a fantastic game, so glad it's back in full force. Thanks SEGA!

dock

The character customisation is so strange. So, I'll only see other players' customisations if I buy the DLC?

Grifter

Played him in earlier versions and I think they've actually toned down his learning curve over the years.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
First couple matches online have played well. It's kind of hard to tell how much lag there really is at low level play since I'm mashing a lot and the buffer window is pretty generous in most situations. Good first impression though.

Quick and simple first crack at costume edits (click for larger):

Now to actually learn how to play. Or dip into the sillier and outlandish costume pieces. >.> Dress-up shouldn't be this addicting...

The character customisation is so strange. So, I'll only see other players' customisations if I buy the DLC?
Costume data doesn't come with the base game. You have to actually buy them.

Somebody on 360 buy a costume pack that doesn't have Aoi's items, then invite me to a match and let me know if you can see my edits.

alstein

Is there any way you can go over 10 pts in customization? Also, are there extra pieces to be unlocked?

Also, on Aoi, how vital are her multigrabs? That seems to be the hardest thing she has, along with her 360s. Was a Jeff player before so it's an adjustment.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Also, on Aoi, how vital are her multigrabs? That seems to be the hardest thing she has, along with her 360s. Was a Jeff player before so it's an adjustment.
You mean her HCB throw that goes into multiple follow-up throws? That seems to be her most damaging forward-facing, ordinary throw, and it's not hard to do the follow-ups at all. You can seriously buffer the 2 follow-ups before the initial throw even finishes. HCB grab, forward down grab, up down grab, as fast as possible and it'll work.

Haven't checked to see if the opponent can escape the follow-ups or not.

Picked up the complete edition on PS3 yesterday. Wow, I messed around with vanilla VF and thought it was fun, but last night I ran through the tutorial and I just love the mechanics of VF! One moment that stuck out to me was checking the movelist and seeing like five or six throws listed! I played several games online and the system is so smooth that I found myself continually quick matching in the blink of an eye. Non-stop fun! Character creation is worth the price of admission as well thanks to a good amount of "normal" items mixed with some really wacky stuff.

My only gripe is that I don't care for the announcer. I'm sure it's intended to sound like it's coming through a loudspeaker, but it comes off as a bit grating.

Thanks Sega for delivering!

I find it hard to connect with throws in most situations anyway. Her 1P+G throw is most useful to get ring outs.

Generally I prefer her mid strings and some long kicks.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I'm not able to get to my 360 yet, but this is an important question I haven't found the answer to.

Are ALL items unlocked when you buy the pack immediately, or do you still have to earn them? I'm hoping you have to earn them, I really liked that aspect and if that isn't there, I'll... :(

I'm not able to get to my 360 yet, but this is an important question I haven't found the answer to.

Are ALL items unlocked when you buy the pack immediately, or do you still have to earn them? I'm hoping you have to earn them, I really liked that aspect and if that isn't there, I'll... :(

All are unlocked

iF43yqobpClvA.jpg

alstein

You mean her HCB throw that goes into multiple follow-up throws? That seems to be her most damaging forward-facing, ordinary throw, and it's not hard to do the follow-ups at all. You can seriously buffer the 2 follow-ups before the initial throw even finishes. HCB grab, forward down grab, up down grab, as fast as possible and it'll work.

Haven't checked to see if the opponent can escape the follow-ups or not.

They could in vanilla. 50/50 break each time. Just like Jeff's headbutts , which are much easier to do (unsure if he still has those, haven't touched Jeff but once in this so far)

I hated having to grind endless matches to maybe, maybe, maybe win an item which then turned out to be a bracelet for a costume you aren't using. The balloon trick was the best thing ever for actually getting good stuff.

It also meant I could only customize my mains and the rest stayed pretty much vanilla. And many 2P matches had to be thrown only so that the most preferred character could win the item.

So happy I don't have to do that shit again, after four versions of VF4 and VF5 already.

Daigoro

we just tested it, cant see any custom costumes on 360 unless you have all of them paid for.

SUCKS.

just wasted $5 or whatever on a single costume pack that took me oven an hour to download.

very tightassed SEGA.

ACH1LL3US

Is just me or the background textures are muuuuch worse?

Funny you should say this, this game's graphics look worse then the original VF5 on the ps3. The textures seem lower res then the previous vf5 :(

On a positive it looks like the ps3 version has AA this time around...

Doomshine

I find it hard to connect with throws in most situations anyway. Her 1P+G throw is most useful to get ring outs.

Generally I prefer her mid strings and some long kicks.

It's going to take a while for me to get used to moves beating throws coming from Tekken and SC.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Accidentally bought the game twice on PSN- the regular and the complete edition. Is there any way to get a refund?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Jeffry's continue screen animation is so fantastic. If you haven't seen it, go to arcade with him and lose a match. Amazing.

Galdelico

Can anyone with the 360 version check if they have 2 item packs in VF's memory folder? (If you've bought both)
I just bought both of them and I can tell you even into the Active Downloads list you can only see Set 1 as pending.
My guess is every piece of DLC has all items in it (no matter if it's Set 1, 2 or the single character packs, they all are 1.9 gigs), and you just get unlocked what you paid for.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Yeah, I was coming here to check if it's just me... I know I could make a US account but I would like to have all games in one account (and the CC data probably wouldn't work).

Man I was really looking forward to playing today.

Maybe you're just referring to where the games are purchased from, but a game downloaded on one account can be played on another. :)

I initially downloaded the game and content on my U.S. account, then switched to my Japanese account to play it- all of the DLC was available for use. Switched back to my U.S. account only because the game may be trying to match with me players in Japan for domestic matches.

Ogni-XR21

Maybe you're just referring to where the games are purchased from, but a game downloaded on one account can be played on another. :)

I initially downloaded the game and content on my U.S. account, then switched to my Japanese account to play it- all of the DLC was available for use. Switched back to my U.S. account only because the game may be trying to match with me players in Japan for domestic matches.

Thanks, I did not know that. I was under the impression that you had to switch accounts in order to play it. So let's see if my credit card works...

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
What's a good five-hit combo to use in score attack? I keep getting 2-3 hits. :/

This fucking game is amazing. VF, probably more than any other 3D fighter, has to be seen in person to really appreciate the animations. The updates to fighting styles and animations...my god. I'm overloading here.

Top Bottom