• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

USD

Wait, so there's no Complete Edition for 360? Booo.

Oh well, I guess I'll just try out the game for now, maybe I'll get frustrated and quit because I'm garbage lol.

saelz8

Uninstalled Vanilla.
LLShC.gif

@MUWANdo

Banned
wow, each individual character pack is 1.93.

looks like its the whole pack, but only parts are unlocked because "pack 1" is 1.93 as well.

Doesn't that essentially make it a compatibility pack? Didn't they say MS wouldn't let them do that?

Socreges

Banned
Correct me if I'm wrong, but the "Complete Edition" is just the game + customizable outfits? Nothing else extra?

Also, websites for arcade stick purchases please! Not looking to spend much FWIW

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Doesn't that essentially make it a compatibility pack? Didn't they say MS wouldn't let them do that?
I think I see what they're doing.

- The base game is 1.91 GB.
- All of the costume packs combined are an extra 1.93 GB.

If you buy any of the costumes, you download ALL of the costume data but only unlock those that you actually purchased.

I'm guessing that 4GB was too big to pass MS certification or something so this was the simplest way to distribute the costumes while only requiring one single extra download/purchase for full compatibility.

Or not. Who knows.

EDIT: Somebody could test this by purchasing only the costumes for their main character, then checking to see if they can at least *view* other players' and characters' custom outfits.

Galdelico

Sorry if I jump into this thread and ask for stuff that has already been told... ^^; I read back a few pages but I didn't find any answer.

I'd buy the XBLA game and the 2 DLC packs... Is there any difference in terms of package, compared to this 'complete' edition for PS3? Dunno, more compact filesize, better performances in terms of item-browsing/unlocking?

Is there any technical difference between XBLA/PSN versions of the game? I mean graphic/sound/loading times-wise.

Thanks guys. :)

JJcao

Neo Member
For those who dlc the game, does this version come with all the old original stages from the previous vf 5? Thank you

Sixfortyfive

Guys what is the amount of customization you get if you don't buy any of the packs?
Looks like none on the 360 version. Dunno about PS3.

Somebody should download only one pack and see if that unlocks Special Sparring under singleplayer.

Hinomura

Whoa what happened to Akira?

Since VF5 vanilla he lost several combos, he lost the launcher throw and he is slower... Toned down or heavy game changes?

@MUWANdo

Banned
For those who own dlc the game, does this version come with all the old original stages from the previous vf 5? Thank you

FS stages only, AFAIK.

Guys what is the amount of customization you get if you don't buy any of the packs?

You get the two default costumes, that's it. You can't even mess with the default customisation stuff unless you've bought at least one pack.

I think I see what they're doing.

- The base game is 1.91 GB.
- All of the costume packs combined are an extra 1.93 GB.

If you buy any of the costumes, you download ALL of the costume data but only unlock those that you actually purchased.

I'm guessing that 4GB was too big to pass MS certification or something so this was the simplest way to distribute the costumes while only requiring one single extra download/purchase for full compatibility.

Or not. Who knows.

EDIT: Somebody could test this by purchasing only the costumes for their main character, then checking to see if they can at least *view* other players' and characters' custom outfits.

That's what I'm thinking too, but the Sega reps explicitly said MS wouldn't let 'em do this, so I don't know what gives.

PaulLFC

I have PS+ - If I download the free PS+ base version, and like it enough to want to purchase the complete pack, can I just buy the complete pack and my PS+ version will be replaced with an unexpiring version?

Sixfortyfive

Quick execution tip: The input buffer is really wide in this game in general. You don't have to time a lot of frame-perfect actions.

The last exercise in the tutorial in particular becomes much easier once you realize that you can input the sidestep command even while you're in hitstun and reeling from the enemy's kick. You'll do the sidestep immediately after recovering.

HyperHip

Man Vanessa feels completely new, still trying to adjust. I had a ton of fun last night though, and can't wait to play the 360 peeps later this afternoon.

So, to use any of the 5 base outfits for the characters besides the default, do you have to manually set it in a customization slot, or can you select it already from the fighter select screen?

Hinomura

He's still in the top tier in this game apparently so I guess the changes didn't hurt him.

Thanks, so I should find a different approach to Akira to make him deliver. Gonna check the other chars to decide my main; I have tried Goh for a few minutes and at least he has the same "feeling" of his vanilla version.

Daigoro

there is some funny stuff for 360 avatars from VF.

Akira hair, Arika and Kage outfits, and Akira and Kage fighing animations for your avatar.

i almost pulled the trigger on a VF t-shirt, but it looks terrible and has Akira on it. no thanks. if it just said Virtua Fighter i wouldve bought it.

God this download is so slow!!!! I don't even have peasant internet for UK standards

me too, just finishing up now, and then i have to wait for the customization pack to download...

So, if your opponent doesn't have any of the costumes pack, he will not see your customized character?

looks that way, yup.

Gotta say, off the heels of SCV Im a bit ... hesitant jumping into another 3D fighter. I can't say I agreed with a lot of the design decisions inherent with that franchise and I felt like there was an absolute massive emphasis on learning the ambiguous as hell lows that each character had at their disposal. The game felt like a legitimate coin flip in a lot of situations where knowing or not knowing what a character had at their disposal in terms of their massive movelists was an integral part of your success. I have no issue learning and dealing with matchups but compared to a Capcom style fighting game I just felt ... overwhelmed.

That and Just Frames were perhaps THE stupidest and convoluted execution hurdle I've ever come across in playing any fighting game ... ever. Reading the OT and seeing that VF5 doesn't touch any of the ridiculous execution requirements that came in the form of links (in capcom style fighters) or just frames was definitely a huge plus and the mention of the games robust tutorial mode may have just sold me on it.

So I guess really my question is ... are lows in this game choreographed well enough to be able to react to the damaging ones a character may have?

Daigoro

He won't see it. You have to have packs to see others customization's, and they you.

i only bought the Shun pack.

wonder if ill be able to see all of the costumes, or just Shun's.

hope its all of them, since its a 2 gig download...

MightyKAC

So has anyone seen an actual difference between a 1, 2 and 3 bar connection?

Because they all feel pretty great to me.

Doomshine

So I guess really my question is ... are lows in this game choreographed well enough to be able to react to the damaging ones a character may have?

I don't know what to say really, all the really damaging lows in SCV are either blockable on reaction or extremely punishable. That's usually how it goes for lows in 3d fighters.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Gotta say, off the heels of SCV Im a bit ... hesitant jumping into another 3D fighter. I can't say I agreed with a lot of the design decisions inherent with that franchise and I felt like there was an absolute massive emphasis on learning the ambiguous as hell lows that each character had at their disposal. The game felt like a legitimate coin flip in a lot of situations where knowing or not knowing what a character had at their disposal in terms of their massive movelists was an integral part of your success. I have no issue learning and dealing with matchups but compared to a Capcom style fighting game I just felt ... overwhelmed.

That and Just Frames were perhaps THE stupidest and convoluted execution hurdle I've ever come across in playing any fighting game ... ever. Reading the OT and seeing that VF5 doesn't touch any of the ridiculous execution requirements that came in the form of links (in capcom style fighters) or just frames was definitely a huge plus and the mention of the games robust tutorial mode may have just sold me on it.

I will say that if you've played SC5, you should adjust well to VF. SC at its base is basically a more ranged version of VF, and due to Daishi's tweaking of the game system, it's close enough to VF that even high level VF players say that it's basically a simplified version of VF.

I do proclaim that the game is much easier execution-wise than any SF game, but do be warned that there are just frames in this game, and a lot of them. But almost all of them just give you extra damage, instead of opening up characters for more damage (like say, Cervantes' iGDR in SC5)

alstein

Are you guys serious about having to wait 35s in lobbies? You can't just hit "ready" or something?

That's just lobbies. Player matches don't have this problem.

That said, this is something that should be improved in a patch. I don't want a patch for a long time though, just to make sure we don't get a future revision of FS- I don't want a Final Tuned situation.

Been trying to pick up Aoi again. I can see why she isn't popular online. Not saying she's bad, but I think she does better the more you play someone.

Looks like none on the 360 version. Dunno about PS3.

Somebody should download only one pack and see if that unlocks Special Sparring under singleplayer.
I can confirm that dowloading one pack does not unlock special sparring nor can you see other customized characters for the PS3.

BadWolf

Can't decide who to learn first, Eileen, Pai or Jean. Tried all three and had a go at their command lists. really like all three. Which do you guys think would be the easier to learn and/or the better to get the hang of the game's fundamentals?

Played quite a few matches online yesterday and the netcode was really good. One thing that stood out to me in particular was that I could play no prob even when my family was using the internet at the same time (streaming videos). Can't do the same thing in KOFXIII, it plays fine but the moment someone starts using the internet for almost anything aside from basic browsing the connection quality goes down the drain instantly.

I freaking love the fact that practice has frame data right there for you to see, no need to look up the internetz. Was surprised to see a jab be 11 frames, thought it was the damage at first lol. Used to seeing 3 and 4 frame jabs in 2D fighters.

Rising_Hei

Can't decide who to learn first, Eileen, Pai or Jean. Tried all three and had a go at their command lists. really like all three. Which do you guys think would be the easier to learn and/or the better to get the hang of the game's fundamentals?

Played quite a few matches online yesterday and the netcode was really good. One thing that stood out to me in particular was that I could play no prob even when my family was using the internet at the same time (streaming videos). Can't do the same thing in KOFXIII, it plays fine but the moment someone starts using the internet for almost anything aside from basic browsing the connection quality goes down the drain instantly.

I freaking love the fact that practice has frame data right there for you to see, no need to look up the internetz. Was surprised to see a jab be 11 frames, thought it was the damage at first lol. Used to seeing 3 and 4 frame jabs in 2D fighters.

Try to play with Leon

Dachande

He's the character I probably used the most in VF4Evo, kinda want to learn a new character.

But yeah, I'll try him as well and see how it goes.

On the Ultrachen stream the other day, LAAkira suggested Jean as a good starting point for beginners because he's based around fundamentals, so maybe he's what you're looking for.

Top Bottom