• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Oh man, I suck at this game. Can't find a fighter I like. In this game it's really hard to keep any kind of separation. This is true of most fighting games, and why I suck at them... but it's especially true here.

For those learning VF, learn about your moves that are half circular and full circular. Can really help fighting against players who like to sidestep a lot. In addition to that, another way is to delay your moves so that the side step fails and you can punish them.

Grifter

jean's pretty lame looking of a character, but his moveset is brutal! lots of recognizable moves from the mishimas but they look better here incorporated into a more realistic move flow.

great to see that blaze has added even more of the great muta's repertoire. are luchadors hitting shining wizards on standing opponents now? =)

onken

Downloading now because it's free. Shame this didn't come out when I still cared about Virtua Fighter. Still happy to be down for a few matches,

psn:eek:nken (east asia only please, I'm too old to be raging over lag)

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Downloading now because it's free. Shame this didn't come out when I still cared about Virtua Fighter.

If anything will make you care again, this is the KING.

EDIT: I played last night and perfected setups into Taka Arashi's face-squish throw. I'm actually considering taking him up for serious. His damage output is ridiculous.

Takuan

jean's pretty lame looking of a character, but his moveset is brutal! lots of recognizable moves from the mishimas but they look better here incorporated into a more realistic move flow.

great to see that blaze has added even more of the great muta's repertoire. are luchadors hitting shining wizards on standing opponents now? =)

Dat DLC. I made him look like Vergil. His default appearance looks like a bad custom character edit, I agree.

meppi

Oh man, I suck at this game. Can't find a fighter I like. In this game it's really hard to keep any kind of separation. This is true of most fighting games, and why I suck at them... but it's especially true here.

Just take it easy on it. You'll have to spend a bit of time with it until the game really clicks, that's all.
Trust me, you will know when that happens.
Be sure to stick with one fighter when you do find someone who's style you really like.
I've been playing with Pai Chan almost exclusively since 1997 and still love doing so.
You might hive her a try as she really has a very nice flow to her style.
But again, it's all very personal.

It's certainly not the easiest fighter to get into and have fun with from the start, so be sure to give the training modes a go in between fighting.
Learn 5 moves or so that you feel will come in handy and build on them from there.

Don't try to remember everything at once because it'll complicate things to the point where you won't remember what to do at all during a fight.

That all being said, this is still my favorite fighting series and has been for a long time. :)
It's simply perfection.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Dat DLC. I made him look like Vergil. His default appearance looks like a bad custom character edit, I agree.

20hlo.jpg

I liked Jean's moves, but had to change his appearance. That hair! Ewww. Is it just me or does El Blaze appear really disproportionate in relation to the rest of the cast? I understand he's supposed to be shorter, but it just looks like his character model was shrunken instead of him being modeled as a shorter person. Can't unsee.

Ogni-XR21

Gonna take some time to download. It's split into a 2 gig download for the game and a single ~100 meg one for each character.

I also decided to get the complete pack on a whim. Gives you a feeling of "getting your money's worth" having to download each customization pack separately.

Edit: OP can add me to the players list (PSN Europe/Germany):

Ogni-XR21

Haven't played in a while though...

still sucks?

How so? It makes from SEGA's POV. If it wasn't split up, the game would have been 4 gigs and people would have been complaining about how the DLC is included with the game but we have to buy an 'unlock code' even though it is already there.

I get where you are coming from but I think SEGA made the right choice.

Streamed VFFS last night. First real experience with VF. Man this game is so much fun. Watching UltraChenTV on Monday really helped me get an understanding of the game.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Is anyone here ScornfulTub0? I got a 360 friend req and I don't see it in the list, they've played VF5:FS and VF5.

Evolved1

make sure the pudding isn't too soggy but that just ruins everything
Just take it easy on it. You'll have to spend a bit of time with it until the game really clicks, that's all.
Trust me, you will know when that happens.
Be sure to stick with one fighter when you do find someone who's style you really like.
I've been playing with Pai Chan almost exclusively since 1997 and still love doing so.
You might hive her a try as she really has a very nice flow to her style.
But again, it's all very personal.

It's certainly not the easiest fighter to get into and have fun with from the start, so be sure to give the training modes a go in between fighting.
Learn 5 moves or so that you feel will come in handy and build on them from there.

Don't try to remember everything at once because it'll complicate things to the point where you won't remember what to do at all during a fight.

That all being said, this is still my favorite fighting series and has been for a long time. :)
It's simply perfection.

Yeah... I need to find a fighter I like and just practice. Also, I'll need a stick because the controller just isn't cutting it at all.

Daigoro

How so? It makes from SEGA's POV. If it wasn't split up, the game would have been 4 gigs and people would have been complaining about how the DLC is included with the game but we have to buy an 'unlock code' even though it is already there.

i bought 1character pack and its still 4 gigs, so it is still an unlock code just so i can view costumes for all of the other characters that i dont want to customize myself.

i only play 1 sometimes 2 characters. i only want to customize 1 of them.

what if i only by one of the packs with multiple characters for $15? will i be able to see all of those characters customizations, but not the other half of the cast? (honest question)

anyways it would have been nice to see other peoples designs since i downloaded the whole fucking thing anyways. i have no desire to customize other characters myself, i just want to see them when i play others and $30 is kind of steep just to see some costumes.

in this case the individual character packs seem kind of pointless. id rather they just offered the combo packs, or better yet, one full pack with all of them, so it's all or none.

MrMephistoX

Such a good game, just out of curiosity...this is completely standalone right? Vanilla VF5 wasn't patched too was it? Only asking because I miss quest mode and would love for it to be DLC if that isn't the case.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Launcher > PPPK

Well, that was easier than I thought. :lol

Down+Forward+P+K to launch. then PPPK for a juggle with Lau. Dunno why I was having issues with Sarah or Vanessa attempting it. *sigh*

Oh well, leaves the training mode achievements and messing around online. Did some player matches, won a few with Vanessa but then I'd get into a laggy worldwide and BARELY make it out a winner.

Onemic

I don't know if I should main Fei Lei, Lion, Jean, or kage. Fei Lei is definitely the most fun character, but will his different stances complicate things for someone completely new to VF?

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I don't know if I should main Fei Lei, Lion, Jean, or kage. Fei Lei is definitely the most fun character, but will his different stances complicate things for someone completely new to VF?

Lei Fei is pretty beginner friendly. All flash outta him anyway and no substance. :)

Don't bother with that fool Kage!

onken

Been fucking around in the dojo, seems like a great port. XMB soundtracks was an expected bonus for a Sega game.

meppi

Yeah... I need to find a fighter I like and just practice. Also, I'll need a stick because the controller just isn't cutting it at all.

That might be a very good idea.
The Saturn pad worked great for fighting games back in the day, but todays controllers are not ideal to say the least.
A nice Hori RAP VX-SA or a Mad Catz Tournament Edition version Official Street Fighter 4 stick would no nicely.

Just be sure to get one with quality parts or you'll end up regretting it later on.
It's better to put down $150+ down on a good stick with Sanwa/Seimitsu parts than a generic one with cheap buttons and stick for half price that you might end up modding yourself because they just don't perform like they should.

Note for those of you doing Command Training using grapplers: Be sure to pick the half fence so you can practice their special half wall throws. It still puts the full wall throw in as well.

Onemic

Lei Fei is pretty beginner friendly. All flash outta him anyway and no substance. :)

Don't bother with that fool Kage!

Just went to the Dojo with him and am going through his command training....there are so many different stances and commands to reach them it's unreal. Are most of them unimportant? What would be his fundamental combos?

AAK

just tap the home button and then go to the music portion of your xmb and play whatever playlist you have set.

It's not complete customization like WipeoutHD but you can still substitute the music in the game from your harddrive while you play.

Takuan

:lol Some of my buddies ran into him at a convention here in Toronto some years back and he wound up bumming a ride off them. From the few hours or so they'd spent together, it was clear that he had fallen on hard times and that he had a few screws loose - he didn't have any money on his person, he talked about his dick a lot, and he called a McDonald's staffer a "fucking cunt" for putting cheese in his Filet o'Fish. Anyway, they basically chauffeured him around the city until he decided to join Kevin Nash at some local mall, after which they were glad to be relieved of his presence. One of them really idolized the guy as a kid, so the experience was a little disillusioning for him in particular.

Just went to the Dojo with him and am going through his command training....there are so many different stances and commands to reach them it's unreal. Are most of them unimportant? What would be his fundamental combos?
The end of the command training contains some basic combos. Don't feel too overwhelmed with his movelist. Just find moves like elbows that you poke with, a whiff punisher, and lows that both knockdown and can be used to poke with.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Played a bit on the xbox before work, dressed up my Aoi, and had a match online. This new throw system is going to take some gettign used to for me, I used to rely on throws with down forward and down back. Now my Aoi keeps trying to low throw!

Top Bottom