• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

I downloaded the PSN+ version for free, and I found out its free until July 2nd. My question is since I downloaded this version will I have to re download the purchase version if I decided to go ahead and purchase the game?

galvatron

:lol Some of my buddies ran into him at a convention here in Toronto some years back and he wound up bumming a ride off them. From the few hours or so they'd spent together, it was clear that he had fallen on hard times and that he had a few screws loose - he didn't have any money on his person, he talked about his dick a lot, and he called a McDonald's staffer a "fucking cunt" for putting cheese in his Filet o'Fish. Anyway, they basically chauffeured him around the city until he decided to join Kevin Nash at some local mall, after which they were glad to be relieved of his presence. One of them really idolized the guy as a kid, so the experience was a little disillusioning for him in particular.

Totally OT:

Someone you know looked up to Virgil??

My family and I still joke about going to see a WWF house show back during his stint there. The Million Dollar Man lost a match and got laid out, so he had to be helped out of the ring and there was some grown man screaming, almost crying, "You pick him up Virgil! You help him up"...baffling...I was maybe 8 at the time and I knew wrestling wasn't real.

SykoTech

So good. My brother and I haven't stopped playing since this morning.

Thank you, Sega. Between this and the upcoming Jet Set Radio HD, maybe their new digital focus will be for the best.

AAK

Is playing with the PS3 controller to decent levels feasible or should I try looking for the saturn usb controller?

It's all about preference. Do what's more natural for you.

EDIT: Well if you want objectively which peripheral can potentially give the fastest possiblie outputs from your inputs... go for a hitbox. But again, that's not a feasible way of looking at it, in the end, the human factor brings the majorly into even ground. So go with whatever you prefer.

Paracelsus

It's all about preference. Do what's more natural for you.

I suck @ arcade stick, d-pad is fine but I still end up swelling my thumb with the PS3 one, to this day I remember busting my thumb open to beat SFA3 world tour with Shin Gouki.

kunonabi

Played a bit on the xbox before work, dressed up my Aoi, and had a match online. This new throw system is going to take some gettign used to for me, I used to rely on throws with down forward and down back. Now my Aoi keeps trying to low throw!

Yeah that's been killing me as well. I don't actually like the new throw mechanics at all.

I think I'm going to have to stick to offline for VF which sucks. I guess it will give me time to figure out Goh. He almost feels like an entirely different character. I might just switch to someone else if he doesn't take.

I too miss the old throw system.

And yes, this game feels way different than 5 and plays like a new game. Shun is on the backburner for now as I try other characters.

BdoUK

Once I get back into town tomorrow night I'll be dusting off the ole VSHG. Really looking forward to the online play!

I downloaded the PSN+ version for free, and I found out its free until July 2nd. My question is since I downloaded this version will I have to re download the purchase version if I decided to go ahead and purchase the game?

Wait a sec, if we downloaded the free verson we can only play it until July 2? I I thought it was like most other free games and its ours as long as we are a plus member?

Pachimari

I think I'll skip the Complete Edition and just buy here regular edition. There's no difference other than customizations right?

Trojan X

Banned
Just went to the Dojo with him and am going through his command training....there are so many different stances and commands to reach them it's unreal. Are most of them unimportant? What would be his fundamental combos?

Every single move in Lei Fei's possession is really important. There is no "unimportant" move in his arsenal:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Utno-7JVaUM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k025vv1nO2M&feature=relmfu

Good luck on mastering this incredible character.

dock

Torn on the DLC. Mostly not pleased about it.

I love VF, but seems worthless if my friends can't see my costumes. What a bizarre approach. Also, I miss gradually unlocking or buying stuff, like in the original VF5. Found that a really compelling way to gradually improve.

Do you unlock any items for playing through challenges or arcade mode?

Returners

Very very fun game. Thought I could never get into a serious fighter again.

But picked it right back up from VF2... Lau still kicks ass. :D

I love VF, but seems worthless if my friends can't see my costumes. What a bizarre approach.

It's to bring down the game's file size to XBLA standards. Each costume pack is around 100mb. It does suck that nobody can see my Dio Bryant unless they buy the Jacky pack.

Trojan X

Banned
It's to bring down the game's file size to XBLA standards. Each costume pack is around 100mb. It does suck that nobody can see my Dio Bryant unless they buy the Jacky pack.

Are you 100% sure that providing both players shares the same DLC pack then they can see each other's customised costumes? If so then all is fine.

OSHAN

Are you 100% sure that providing both players shares the same DLC pack then they can see each other's customised costumes? If so then all is fine.

Wait, what? I bought the full game (30 bucks on PSN) and I was seeing funky ass costumes left and right last night. Played twelve matches online. I would say at least half had some funky shit going on.

If you didn't buy the costume packs, you can't see the funky costumes? If so, that's lame.

If you didn't buy the costume packs, you can't see the funky costumes? If so, that's lame.
I understand the technical limitation, why it's that way and why people dislike it but I'll give you the alternative to why I like it: I'm a newb. I'll be struggling to learn this game for some time and if everyone is all wacky then I've got that additional difficulty in trying to determine who I'm fighting against. Without those wacky outfits, I'll have more consistency in play and have an easier time learning as a result. That's the hope at least... I can't wait to try this out when I get home. Started the download this morning in prep for tonight.

ScOULaris

I'm very conflicted with regard to purchasing this game. I enjoyed VF4 when I rented it for the PS2, but I can't make up my mind with this iteration.

I'm a long-time fighting game fan. I regularly play SSF4, 3SO, KOFXIII, and I dabble in Marvel and Mortal Kombat. Generally I stick to fighters that use a 2D plane, but VF's simplicity and fluid animations have always appealed to me in theory.

That being said, I can't tell whether or not I would enjoy this game. Watching even high-level play of VF5 seems a bit boring. It's as if everyone is moving in slow motion, with every move having like 10 startup frames, and rounds seem to be over with one or two seemingly very basic combos or setups.

I realize that I'm ignorant with regard to the game's mechanics, but is there anyone else here who is mostly a 2D fighter fan who is really enjoying VF5FS?

I too miss the old throw system.

And yes, this game feels way different than 5 and plays like a new game. Shun is on the backburner for now as I try other characters.

Yeah, FS more offensive than Vanilla. Look we missed out Revision D, VF5:R, I guess there was an R revision as well and now FS.

SykoTech

I realize that I'm ignorant with regard to the game's mechanics, but is there anyone else here who is mostly a 2D fighter fan who is really enjoying VF5FS?

I like both, but I would say that I prefer 2D fighting games if I had to pick one.

This game is excellent.

Daigoro

yeah netcode seems great! ive played people from UK, Japan, and Germany and ive not noticed any issues.

gotta say, im not feeling overwhelmed by options for customizing my Shun. feels kind of light on content honestly. unless im just feeling bitchy. im tempted to say VF5 had more to choose from, but that's probably not true. still, not feeling overwhelmed by options.

there are some funny ass thing, like that kitty with the captains hat that sits on your shoulder.

Nawp, it's cool. I don't care what your character looks like, and I've got one of the best fighters ever for only 15 bucks. :D

YMMV.

i do happen to care and find it annoying that i need to pay $30 to see other people's creations.

its not ruining the game for me by any means. but like i said earlier, i wish it was all or nothing. single character packs are worthless.

Could someone explain evasion 4 to me? What I'm supposed to be doing and when is a mystery to me.

it has to be real quick. you cant sidestep too early though. as soon as you do, you have to immediately hit >>G. keep trying, you'll get it.

Malajax

So refreshing to play this on a stick. First time getting back to vf since evo and I'm not disappointed! Spent probably 2 hours in training to catch back up. Loving the changes to the cast since 4.

OceanBlue

Yes. This is the first 3D game I've ever tried, and it makes 3D fighting games seem interesting to me. I definitely won't stop playing other 2D games, but I can see myself playing this along with other games.

soakrates

Can anyone tell if there's any difference in latency between PSN and XBL? I played a bunch of games on PSN and had some good games and some OK ones, but nothing really laggy. I had to sleep by the time I was finished downloading the game from XBL, so I haven't had a chance to play yet.

Game rules, btw. :D

BadWolf

Me as well, vast majority of my fighting game time has been spent on 2D fighters.

KOFXIII is the fighter I concentrated on solely prior to this.

Went to player match and fought against a decent Jean. Exposed a lot of weaknesses in my game, like linearity and whiffing a lot.

I would hang out in player match more if it wasn't empty.

dock

Housemate is a casual player that really enjoyed unlocking items in original VF5 release. She doesn't want to play this because it there's no 'reward' for the single player mode.

Structurally, like more and more fighting games, this does strike me as a game solely for competitive players.

edit: So, the PS3 costumes are gimped because of the XBLA download limit? D:

Man, this game is WAY different from vanilla VF5 Version C. Going to take getting used to. I thought this would have Quest mode? It's too bad they weren't able to put that in.

How do you set different costumes as your main and secondary? Every time I try to change a costume, it resets everything to its default state.

Top Bottom