• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
∀ Narayan;38607225 said:
Man, this game is WAY different from vanilla VF5 Version C. Going to take getting used to. I thought this would have Quest mode? It's too bad they weren't able to put that in.

How do you set different costumes as your main and secondary? Every time I try to change a costume, it resets everything to its default state.

Make a new save for each costume. That way you can have unlimited costumes for each character.

Skilletor

I downloaded the PSN+ version for free, and I found out its free until July 2nd./QUOTE]
WTF. Are the other PSN+ free games like this?

If by "Like this" you mean that they're only free for a limited time and then rotated out for other free games, then yes. All PSN+ games are like this.

Marco1

Just purchased this for 360 but I will wait for a sale on the costumes.
Loved this back in the day, best 3D fighter ever.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
People, by "free until July 2nd", it does not mean you can only play it until July 2nd. It means that it's only free to download until July 2nd. As long as you download it before then, you can play it for as long as you're a PS+ subscriber.

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
I think I'm going to have to stick to offline for VF which sucks. I guess it will give me time to figure out Goh. He almost feels like an entirely different character. I might just switch to someone else if he doesn't take.

He really does feel so different to the point where I'm looking at other potential mains. Considering putting in time with Taka or with Vanessa. She doesn't seem nearly as different, but looks can be deceiving.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Is there any consensus on which version is better (apart from the obvious controller differences)?

I'm not buying the game twice, either.

Mooreberg

is sharpening a shovel and digging a ditch
It doesn't disappear on July 2nd.
The game is his 'forver' so long as he has a PS+ account.
If you get PS+ before July 2nd you can get it for 'free'.
Oh OK that is what I figured. I'll be playing this as soon as I stop getting (800####) error trying to redeem a card.

.la1n

WTF. Are the other PSN+ free games like this?

Do you guys even read the PS+ thread or other post in this very thread OR on GAF since PS+ started? The game is free until July, as long as you purchase BEFORE then you have the game for the REMAINDER of your PS+ membership FOR FREE.

edit: same for every single other free game that has ever been offered on the service for future reference

Wonko_C

The voices sound very compressed in the Xbox 360 demo, is the PS3 version like that? or is it the way the game is supposed to be? I don't remember it sounding that bad on the disc VF5.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
Sega should release an optional compatibility pack for people to be able to see the custom characters.

d0c_zaius

Sega should release an optional compatibility pack for people to be able to see the custom characters.

you know that's not free right?

I would think that anyone (especially on psn) that cares about the items so much would download all the packs anyway.

oh and if people want to play on PSN: d0c_zaius

GrayFoxPL

Got the PSN version and played since afternoon.

Impressions -
imypgZEzidt0L.gif

100 ranked matches 3rd dan - not too bad since it was second time I played Sarah. Played her one day in vanilla but most of her moves were changed here anyway, lol. Some shitty changes, some great.

But not everything is gold.

I noticed something the second I moved a character. I couldn't believe it...WTF?

Am I really the only one that noticed the game has weird image processing?

The game has micro ghosting. Leaves an after image of a frame or two for a fraction of second. I noticed it right away as I played quite a lot of vanilla before FS release.
Why the fuck they did it? To make animation look smoother? It's smooth by definition, this just makes the game look blurry like vaseline covered. I got used to it but it still doesn't look right.
Because of that I think Vanilla has better IQ, clearer and sharper. I might be wrong but seems like water and snow looks bit off too.

Only 2 outfits. I must be stupid but I thought people said you get 5 default costumes for free. You can't even see those defaults on opponents. Bullshit Sega, bullshit.

Is the sound compressed or something? The sfx sound kinda odd.

But I think that's all quircks that I don't like, everything else is pure honey.

Btw. Did I play some Gaffers? 100 ranked so It's hard to miss I guess?

Socreges

Banned
What would you guys say are the best characters for beginners? When I played VF4 a lot, I used Shun Di which was a lot of fun, but I also felt like it was a poor choice since I couldn't get to a competitive point.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
What would you guys say are the best characters for beginners? When I played VF4 a lot, I used Shun Di which was a lot of fun, but I also felt like it was a poor choice since I couldn't get to a competitive point.

Just pick someone who's style you like. The main advice is don't pick Akira, but I don't even really believe that. Pick someone that is cool to you and just play. Who cares if you lose.

Daigoro

you know that's not free right?

not free for who?

its not like it hasnt already been done on 360. Dead Rising 2 did it. the magic card game let you download a patch so you could play against other people who had bought the expansions even if you hadnt. etc.

I DO NOT EVEN KNOW

This is why I pretended to hate the series. game is complicated... I swear if I try to remember more than one person's moves in this game, I'm gonna forget a Tekken character.

lol

Do all the customizeable stuff have different color options?

no. some do, but not all. its not like you can pick an item you like and then cycle through every color scheme.

also different color items of the same type take up slots. so when they say hundreds of items for every character, your gonna have 8 of these, 5 of those. same items, just different colors.

like i said, im not feeling like there are too many items for me to pick from for my character. im feeling like there are too few. maybe other characters have more options, but Shun is mildly disappointing.

no. some do, but not all. its not like you can pick an item you like and then cycle through every color scheme.

also different color items of the same type take up slots. so when they say hundreds of items for every character, your gonna have 8 of these, 5 of those. same items, just different colors.

like i said, im not feeling like there are too many items for me to pick from for my character. im feeling like there are too few. maybe other characters have more options, but Shun is mildly disappointing.

If you change the base costume, you can choose new items specific to that base.

BadWolf

This is tough, my KOF/MOTW mentality of learning almost the entire cast is kicking in but I know that that's not gonna work with this game. Gonna have to force myself to stick with a character or two, have never done such a thing before.

i did not know that, thanks.

by base costume, do you mean pants/top? or A B C?

A B C D E S

If you press start, there should be an option where you can choose the costume type and from there, you can cycle to the other costumes. Top and bottom have new options, not too sure about the others.

VF is not that complicated, some people just want you to think that way. FS removed the multi-throw escapes for example. Pick a character you like, go in the dojo and learn about 5 moves. That's it for the beginning.

Edith: I'm pretty sure I played you today Daigoro.

So, I've been thinking about the lobby system, and it's kind of genius, but that genius isn't front facing.

First of all, it has blind select and button check in the lobby, so that's no issue. Second, character select is done in between matches, without taking any extra time either, and you don't pick your stage. So, it takes 5-10 seconds to get back to the lobby post match, and then I believe 40-50 of waiting before the match starts.

The genius is that it's ALWAYS that 40-50 before the match. Someone failing to ready up isn't going to stall the match, and because character and stage select are gone, it actually ends up being much faster than the process in say, a street fighter game on average over time.

VF is not that complicated, some people just want you to think that way. FS removed the multi-throw escapes for example. Pick a character you like, go in the dojo and learn about 5 moves. That's it for the beginning.

Edith: I'm pretty sure I played you today Daigoro.

Beat Knuckle, Launcher, 2P, throw and Somersault Kick. All you need.

Top Bottom