• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
So should I buy VF5 disc for Xbox360 as it's cheap now or this ?
Much appreciated.

Both.

It's hard to NOT recommend VF5 360 though at the price it's at now. Excellent game.

kunonabi

Just sent my stick out to get modded so I'm in research/customization mode right now. VFDC seems really light FS info any other places to go? I'd really like to get a close look at goh's new combos and move properties. Does he even have a true elbow anymore?

Faced off against a Jacky that was god-like. Mine ripped apart everyone expect this person called H A B I. My Jacky touched his like twice.

GGs AAK and Sayah. Sorry for spamming the same moves over and over again. I promise I'll learn more than 3 moves asap lol. Also lol at my self ring out from that Eileen throw, wish I saved the replay.

I need to get back and learn Jacky again. I had a blast with him in VF4. Plus my Wesker outfit is too badass for me not to use him no matter how much I'm liking Eileen.

Marco1

Thanks for the advice, I suppose another advantage with this version is not having a disc to lose.
It would be great if it had the single player there too, damn MS and their arcade restrictions.

GrayFoxPL

Both.

It's hard to NOT recommend VF5 360 though at the price it's at now. Excellent game.

Tbh it's worth owning every VF. They are making so many changes per character so eg. VF4Evo Jacky plays and moves completely different then VF4 Jacky.

Personally I'm really proud of my first edition vanilla VF4 for PS2.

Sega should release VF collection. Shame they are on brink of death. :(

D

Deleted member 47027

Unconfirmed Member
Tbh it's worth owning every VF. They are making so many changes per character so eg. VF4Evo Jacky plays and moves completely different then VF4 Jacky.

Hell yeah man, VF4 vanilla! Good times building AIs with those.

I can go without another release of VF3TB. Sorry, Sega, I love you but...no...

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade

I have a copy of every VF released starting with VF 1 Remix on the Saturn.

GrayFoxPL

Hell yeah man, VF4 vanilla! Good times building AIs with those.

I can go without another release of VF3TB. Sorry, Sega, I love you but...no...

Watching the arcade vids of VF3 I noticed the real shit looked much better then what Genki ported to Dreamcast. I'd love arcade perfect port of VF3(not TB) just for the superior intro.

bjork

I'm pretty balls at this, went 1-9 on the way to that achievement for 10 ranked matches. Only maybe three of those were close, but it was fun still. Gonna fool around in the tutorials to reacquaint myself though... I owned VF4 on ps2, but the last one I really played was VF Kids on Saturn, heh.

I got the first ten matches online, won seven of them. Lost to a really good Vanessa. Fought a Kage who kept doing the somersault and didn't catch on when I just stepped back and punished him all the time.

I like that you don't have an exact win counter. Takes some of the prestige out of the matches so you can focus on having fun.

Onemic

Just pick someone who's style you like. The main advice is don't pick Akira, but I don't even really believe that. Pick someone that is cool to you and just play. Who cares if you lose.

What makes Akira so hard to play? Does he have a million different stances like Fei-Lei?

snaffles

I'm really loving this game so far, having the old soundtracks available is great, though I can't see myself switching from the VF2 soundtrack. Already noticed a few new animations with Sarah from 360 VF5 to this version.
If any Australians pick the game up on PS3 I'm SnafflesChan on PSN. I already get the feeling its going to be really barren online though if the previous title is anything to go by.

Spent an hour or two in training with Vanessa and Sarah. Haven't really tried anyone else out but I'm really loving how those two feel (I don't really remember if I played Sarah in the older games).

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
What makes Akira so hard to play? Does he have a million different stances like Fei-Lei?

He doesn't flow as well. His moves tend to be quick and sort of jerky. You have to be really used to him to play him well, and coming from another game or character where you are expecting moves to flow into each other easier, he can be quite a shock and lead people to thinking VF is slow, jerky and a bad game.

Lei Fei I think works well for a beginner, his moves flow together, going from stance to stance. You can get cool stuff without really trying, akira is the total opposite.

Marco1

They should put a screen up when you start the game advising you to DL the content pack if you want to see other peoples customisation.
I don't see the point if other people can't see it.

GrayFoxPL

Akira is kinda game within a game.

But if you get in Akiception you'll feel like you achieved something keen to discovering new life in the universe.

Well, I caved in and got Playstation Plus. Currently downloading this :)

Is this an accessible game for newcomers to the genre as a whole? I'd love to get into it and have some online GAF fights.

PSN: RavensmashSK

Tain

I'm betting the lame blur everyone is seeing is due to temporal anti-aliasing, Halo Reach style.

I'd take jaggies over this AA, would be nice to have an option in a patch!

so who do we tweet at to make that happen

I'm betting the lame blur everyone is seeing is due to temporal anti-aliasing, Halo Reach style.

I'd take jaggies over this AA, would be nice to have an option in a patch!

so who do we tweet at to make that happen

uh? what blur? the game (360) is razor sharp, probably full 1360*768p aa4x (I may be wrong, obviously)

I want to thank Brad and his P+K+G stance changes for my carpal tunnel lite. This game is fun. I should stop hitting the buttons so hard though.

Sayah

GGs AAK and Sayah. Sorry for spamming the same moves over and over again. I promise I'll learn more than 3 moves asap lol. Also lol at my self ring out from that Eileen throw, wish I saved the replay.

I need to get back and learn Jacky again. I had a blast with him in VF4. Plus my Wesker outfit is too badass for me not to use him no matter how much I'm liking Eileen.

Yes, ggs. I felt like I was doing the same stuff over and over again.

so has it been confirmed if the individual character dlc packs also act as comptibility packs on xbox live? they are all the same size as the full packs

Galdelico

You mean during replays at the end of the round?
Because the game seems to me greatly improved over VF5: that looked terrible on PS3 and - even if noticeably better - still kinda blurry on 360... This new one looks stunning to me, in spite of some texture compression here and there.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
wpid-IMG_20120607_030119.jpg

My Taka at work. :D

Got to 3rd Dan in one night, and my win rate is a pretty god awful 55%... But that's about what I was at in the arcades after 3000 matches. 360 VF players are SERIOUS. I checked out the battle points/rank leader and it's Mukku, a Sega sponsored Taka player. There's at least 15 other names I noticed just by glancing the leaderboards.

GrayFoxPL

Because the game seems to me greatly improved over VF5: that looked terrible on PS3 and - even if noticeably better - still kinda blurry on 360... This new one looks stunning to me, in spite of some texture compression here and there.

No, it blurs character motions all the time. Compare regular vf5 and you'll see. VF5 vanila had better IQ. How it looked terrible? I bought both PS3 and 360 versions of vanilla and both looked equally good. 360 had antialiasing but looked softer then ps3 version and 360 had worse ground texture filtering.

Tain

uh? what blur? the game (360) is razor sharp, probably full 1360*768p aa4x (I may be wrong, obviously)

There's definitely a blur visible during motion for me. It's subtle, but it's there. On 360 at least. I do believe that the game is ultimately running in a higher resolution than VF5, though.

loving the online mode. I'm glad my win/lose isn't staring at me for all eternity, though I'm glad there is incentive to winning beyond the win with randoms. Had one person ring himself out after only being beat in the first round. I guess he only wanted that rank match achievement.

Anyways.

360 GT - nocturnedelight - The Brad Show

would love to play some of you.
thinking heavily on buying both bundles.

Galdelico

No, it blurs character motions all the time. Compare regular vf5 and you'll see. VF5 vanila had better IQ. How it looked terrible? I bought both PS3 and 360 versions of vanilla and both looked equally good. 360 had antialiasing but looked softer then ps3 version and 360 had worse ground texture filtering.
Equally good?
Dude, maybe my eyes just don't work well but... Japanese PS3 VF5 looks like a blurry mess on my full-HD (on both screen resolutions), whereas 360 version partially addressed the 'mess' but not quite the 'blurry'. Now I don't remember anything special about ground textures but I own both games and tonight - out of curiosity - I booted up 360 VF5 vanilla and then XBLA Final Showdown: in my opinion and to my eyes, FS showcases way better IQ in spite of some textures downgrade.

I'm anything like an expert, and I don't own hi-end video setups, so just take what I said as my genuine visual impressions. :)

Man, I can't play this game with a fucking controller, I need to get my arcade stick back.

Gotta put this on hold for a few days.

They changed Lei's PPP wtf, lol. The game is faster and has a weird flow now---I gotta get used to it. It looks more janky now. This will take a shitton of getting used to, I may just start up a new character cause Lei ain't feelin good right now (basing opinion on VF5 reg perceptions) and Sarah is.

Top Bottom