• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

BadWolf

From that tourney I know Chibita is the go to for Lion and Fuudo for Shun Di, anyone know who the top Jean player(s) is? I'd like to look up some vids.

I just can't reliable pull off the P+K+G quick defense/offense moves with a pad.

Are you using the shortcut button for the input? I remapped it to R1, so much more convenient that L2. The problem for me usually isn't doing the side step, but getting kicked in the face during it.

Deps

Having a lot of trouble learning fuzzy guard. The crouch dash fuzzy is easy, but the normal one I can't get. I'm doing an attack thats -4 and then holding guard and ducking for a bit, but I can't seem to duck under the throw. Can it only be done at -3?

How do I get not terrible at this game? I can't even pull off basic strings like this one:
7161934687_8330a03ca7.jpg

VariantX

Ya, fuck it. He's way too execution heavy. So many of his moves are 2-3 frame links, with one of them being a 1 frame link.(can't remember the name)

something something K+G but release G in one frame while still holding K....god damn. Spent 20 minutes doing it and did it exactly once and that's only because the buttons on my stick are extremely sensitive to the touch. No way in hell I could hope to do it with a pad.

"Ya, fuck it. He's way too execution heavy. So many of his moves are 2-3 frame links, with one of them being a 1 frame link.(can't remember the name)"

Links? He has some just frames (different thing!) and of course the one frame knee (which is also a just frame) but not the same thing as a link.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
As a relative beginner to VF (though I've been playing the series casually since VF2), I'm really warming up to Vanessa and especially Pai. Either of them considered good "beginner" characters?

Damn you customizations making me want to play characters just cause I can make them look awesome. I'm loving Vanessa's custom options and now want to use her just cause I made her look so nice.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Worth buying for single player? Is there a story or arcade mode? What about just a straight up vs CPU mode?

There's an Arcade Mode, as well as Score Attack and License Battle (fighting under various conditions). Also there's another mode, the name escapes me right now (Special Challenge?), but you'll need all the DLC to be able to play it.

Sadly no VS CPU mode, which boggles my mind every time a fighter is released without one.

"Worth buying for single player? Is there a story or arcade mode? What about just a straight up vs CPU mode?"

There's Arcade mode, Score attack, License Challenge (Defeat a CPU with certain prerequisites), and Special Sparring which is only available if you own all the DLC. Special Sparring basically pits you against a bunch of customized characters (assumedly they're named/customized by specific people + some randoms).

ElFly

Kind of stupid that Lau has a shirt/vest/jacket combo, but no dressing pants.

Ended up putting slackers on him.

Also, everyone gets a Sega Genesis on their backs.

AAK

Is there any way to shorten that 30 second timer in the lobbies for this game? I mean the top 2 people already confirmed what positions they want, can't the game just acknowledge it and allow us to continue with the match?

EDIT: Also, why can't you skip replays when you have more than 2 people in your lobby??

sleepykyo

Better learn it now, because I'm sure they're going to keep stuff like this for her in DOA5.

I sincerely doubt they are going to keep the timing on Sarah's inputs as strict. Akira makes sense given that he has always been an execution heavy character, but Sarah is basically eye candy.

Ok decision time. I'm sitting at the PSN store trying to decide between the basic $15 game and the complete edition with all the DLC for $29.99.

How many costumes does each character have in the basic game, two ?

Customizing your character is a lot of fun, but just playing the game online and seeing the new graphics in each stage will be cool enough. I'm just a little tight this month. So what do you think ? Is it really worth paying twice as much for the custom items ?
Are the DLC uniforms really neat or is it just a bunch of stuff like sunglasses and hats?

I'm going to buy one or the other in about 5-10 minutes here.

Oh btw, I thought I read an actual game mode was missing unless you had the DLC. Am I mistaken ? Is that important ?

AAK

Don't worry too much about Sarah's timing. I've been playing her and I can usually land the timing for the b+P,K,K,K on impulse offline. Just make sure you wait for the health-bar to reduce on your opponent before inputting the next K. It's definitely not a just frame.

EDIT:

Ok decision time. I'm sitting at the PSN store trying to decide between the basic $15 game and the complete edition with all the DLC for $29.99.

Customizing your character is a lot of fun, but just playing the game online and seeing the new graphics in each stage will be cool enough. I'm just a little tight this month. So what do you think ? Is it really worth paying twice as much for the custom items ?
Are the DLC uniforms really neat or is it just a bunch of stuff like sunglasses and hats?

Oh btw, I thought I read an actual game mode was missing unless you had the DLC. Am I mistaken ? Is that important ?

Have you seen Tekken 6's customization? VF5's level surpasses even their's. It's definitely the most comprehensive since SC5.

"Oh btw, I thought I read an actual game mode was missing unless you had the DLC. Am I mistaken ? Is that important ?"

You can't play Special Sparring without all the DLC (Playing against customized AI) since you obviously don't have the items on your hard drive.

Have you seen Tekken 6's customization? VF5's level surpasses even their's. It's definitely the most comprehensive since SC5.

No I haven't seen Tekken 6. But it sounds like you're saying the customization is quite in depth. $30 for the complete edition isn't much, it's just that I've already bought VF5 once before and it got old fast without online play. I want to try again but I'm leaning towards the vanilla game.

Onemic

"Ya, fuck it. He's way too execution heavy. So many of his moves are 2-3 frame links, with one of them being a 1 frame link.(can't remember the name)"

Links? He has some just frames (different thing!) and of course the one frame knee (which is also a just frame) but not the same thing as a link.

oh, just frames then.(what's the difference?) the 1 frame knee thing actually only took me about a minute to get, but that's only beacuase my stick has sensitive buttons so lightly touching and releasing G does the job. It's the fact that so many of his moves require a ton of 'just frame' shit. I didn't even get to the end of his command list, but looking at it one of his moves require you to do that just frame stuff three different times.

Anyway he isn't as stiff as I was expecting him to be. He moves and attacks very much like Ryu, which I'm used to.

Oh and ggs AAK and degen. Tien, Vegeta, and Piccolo POWA!

I'd probably still put SCV's customization over VF5 since you can edit the actual items themselves, but VF5 does have some great options.

Not perfect, but still a good selection. Hopefully TTT2's console release can learn some things from both those games.

"oh, just frames then.(what's the difference?) the 1 frame knee thing actually only took me about a minute to get, but that's only beacuase my stick has sensitive buttons so lightly touching and releasing G does the job. It's the fact that so many of his moves require a ton of 'just frame' shit. I didn't even get to the end of his command list, but looking at it one of his moves require you to do that just frame stuff three different times.

Anyway he isn't as stiff as I was expecting him to be. He moves and attacks very much like Ryu, which I'm used to."

A link is a combo between two moves by connecting the second move while the opponent is still in hit stun. A just frame move is one where you have to do an input within a small window ("true" just frames are a 1 frame timing) or the move doesn't come out at all or has different properties.

CPS2

oh, just frames then.(what's the difference?)
I'm probably going to be beaten but a just frame is a single move, where your input has to be accurate to frame by frame timing (usually for part of the input, not the whole thing), e.g. the last direction + attack button being pressed on the same frame. A one frame link is a type of combo.

Alx

I bought the game yesterday and played a few hours. I had a very good time, but it's also the first time I've been disappointed by a VF game. Most of it comes from having played a lot of Soulcalibur 5 during the last months, and it's mainly minor grips, but it reduced my enjoyment. The few things that bothered me :
  • I think the stages are not very pretty. Most of them are more busy than visually pleasing. I used to have a few favourite arenas I liked to fight in for their looks, but right now I just don't care.
  • the music is really annoying. In the old games I could ignore the usual Yu Suzuki guitar riffs, but for some reason the music in this game got on my nerves (especially the jazzy one). I'll probably disable it in the options from now on (I saw there was an option to select music from older VF games, but I didn't notice any difference).
  • character customization is a bit bland and feel limited, after the very rich "create a soul" of SC5. There are a few funny objects and crazy effects, but it is indeed only customization and not creation, and I miss color edition, objects placement and texturing. I also missed the snapshot of your customized character, especially when I want to select it in the menus I'd like to know what the character looks like beforehand.
  • online menus could probably be better. I didn't see an option for filtering by level or speed connection in quickmatch, for example. Since there were few opponents in my area I was "quickmatching" worldwide, and many matches were a bit sluggish (others were fine, so I won't blame the netcode).

Anyway, aside of those small complaints, the gameplay is still great, which is the most important part of the game after all. I still love the good balance between attack and defense, and that feeling of being really close to the opponent, blocking or dodging attacks by a few centimeters... I'll need to get back a few reflexes, and probably get new ones (I got the feeling that the timing for evading changed a bit, I had a hard time pulling off offensive moves for example).

alstein

It's neat. It could be a little better, I think SC5 has it beat, but it's worth the $15 easily.
Having Aoi sing her winquote is awesome as a troll when you win. How do you select item winposes anyways?

Only thing I wish VF had done was allow us to pick our own colors for the outfits instead of pre-selected colors. Then again, this game came from the arcade, so it would have required some work.

Yeah I think it probably is worth it, but I'm feeling poor today so I'll try and be happy with the vanilla game. At least I won't have to wait as long for it to finish downloading.
Still slow, only 25% complete.

"Thanks. Sometimes I see it listed in the middle of combos (I think), do certain moves give the CH state to the opponent?"

I don't think so, I think you might be mistaken about seeing it in the middle of combos, but I could also be wrong.

"Thanks. Sometimes I see it listed in the middle of combos (I think), do certain moves give the CH state to the opponent?"

I don't think so, I think you might be mistaken about seeing it in the middle of combos, but I could also be wrong.

You are right, I was reading it wrong.

Damn! Not only are certain combos character specific, but stance specific as well. It seems so overwhelming.

"Damn! Not only are certain combos character specific, but stance specific as well. It seems so overwhelming."

You only really need a general combo that works for each weight class (and Taka) and any stance. The super technical players who go for absolute maximum possible damage pay attention to that stuff, but a majority don't (seriously, look at a lot of the top JP players, they're all just using basic combos, very rarely anything foot stance dependent).

You are right, I was reading it wrong.

Damn! Not only are certain combos character specific, but stance specific as well. It seems so overwhelming.

With some rare exceptions, combos specific to open or closed stance can usually be improvised upon to not need to watch your feet for slightly less or the same damage.

My suggestion is usually to find a combo that works for you against a heavy character like Jeff or Wolf, work around that, then see how light on the weight scale you can go before having to change timings (all the way down to Eileen and Blaze). I left out Taka because not only is he his own weight class, his animations are different because of it, so you'll need Taka-specific combos. When you think about doing combos in pieces and see which situations they usually apply in, you'll get more traction.

There's an Arcade Mode, as well as Score Attack and License Battle (fighting under various conditions). Also there's another mode, the name escapes me right now (Special Challenge?), but you'll need all the DLC to be able to play it.

Sadly no VS CPU mode, which boggles my mind every time a fighter is released without one.
Curses!

MK9 was the same way.

Onemic

I don't know if this is due to lag, but I faced a vanessa player online that was just spamming K and it seemed as if I was at a disadvantage on block, to the point that it was impossible to use any attack before Vanessa was able to recover and use K again over and over and over. This happened for 3 rounds straight.

"I don't know if this is due to lag, but I faced a vanessa player online that was just spamming K and it seemed as if I was at a disadvantage on block, to the point that it was impossible to use any attack before Vanessa was able to recover and use K again over and over and over. This happened for 3 rounds straight."

Did you save the replay? The game keeps your last game as a replay, so you can rewatch it with frame data and see what's up.

DR2K

Banned
I sincerely doubt they are going to keep the timing on Sarah's inputs as strict. Akira makes sense given that he has always been an execution heavy character, but Sarah is basically eye candy.

Eh I think Sega's intention is to keep VF characters playing like they would outside of general system changes.

My issue isn't doing them, but being able to do it in the heat of the moment.

Top Bottom