• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Wonko_C

It's not blur, it's a slight ghosting. a lot of PS2 games showed this, the original Devil May Cry did this too. You get used to it in minutes.

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
This sucks, I am at work now and I can't go home tonight, soonest I can play again is after work tomorrow!

PM me if you want my gamertag, I don't like posting it. I play on xbox.

wpid-IMG_20120607_030119.jpg

My Taka at work. :D

Got to 3rd Dan in one night, and my win rate is a pretty god awful 55%... But that's about what I was at in the arcades after 3000 matches. 360 VF players are SERIOUS. I checked out the battle points/rank leader and it's Mukku, a Sega sponsored Taka player. There's at least 15 other names I noticed just by glancing the leaderboards.

I went about 50% last night on PSN in Ranked, which had me disappointed, but then akuma001 posted that leaderboard pick a few pages back and I realized I kept getting matched up with the top 5 players on that list.

About to jump on 360 now if anyone is playing. Tag for both XBL and PSN is Absoludacrous if anyone wants to play.

GrayFoxPL

Equally good?
Dude, maybe my eyes aren't working well but... Japanese PS3 VF5 looks like a blurry mess on my full-HD (on both screen resolutions), whereas 360 version partially addressed the 'mess' but not quite the 'blurry'. Now I don't remember anything special about ground textures but I own both games and tonight - out of curiosity - I booted up 360 VF5 vanilla and then XBLA Final Showdown: in my opinion and to my eyes, FS showcases way better IQ in spite of some textures downgrade.

I'm anything like an expert, and I don't own hi-end video setups, so just take what I said as my genuine visual impressions. :)

I don't know if japanese vf5 had any differences then western version but on 720p ps3 hdmi and 360 vga looked equally good. There was a comparison made back in the day that showed side by side that due different texture filter on 360 the ground textures on the fight angle looked very blurry.

I don't know how FS looks on 360 but on my set up PS3&360 vanilla has better IQ then FS on PSN, but people already confirmed that 360 also sports the same "motion" blur as PS3 which alone makes it looks worse then clean VF5. Maybe someone likes it, to me it looks bad.

Marco1

Been playing and what a great 3D fighter.
With this and jet set radio coming, sega are in my good books. Keep them all coming please.

Onemic

I went about 50% last night on PSN in Ranked, which had me disappointed, but then akuma001 posted that leaderboard pick a few pages back and I realized I kept getting matched up with the top 5 players on that list.

About to jump on 360 now if anyone is playing. Tag for both XBL and PSN is Absoludacrous if anyone wants to play.

My win rate is something like 25% :(

SickBoy

Where do you find win rate? I know mine is lower than I expect.

I don't think I'm a high-level player, but competent... going through the same issues I had on 360 with VF5O -- learning how to deal with latency and adjust for the feel of online play. Also a bit rusty and unfamiliar with any changes to the fighting system. I think I started out about 2-9 on Xbox, before lifting my winning percentage to a little better than 50%. I think I'm better than that right now, but I'm almost certainly sub-50.

bob_arctor

Tough_Smooth
Any good Vanessa players that I should watch on youtube?

Relevant to my interests as well. I was deciding on who to main and since I started with her in VF5 before moving on to El Blaze/Wolf, I figured I'd go back. I will try to play tonight but will more than likely stay in training mode before passing out. Working the early shift at work is killing my late night gaming. :-(

Playing on PS3 and going through the tutorial - seems quite easy to get to grips with so far.

But why can't I perform an offensive move :/ it says to sidestep and then hit P+K+G (L2) but nothing happens

Hilbert

Deep into his 30th decade
Playing on PS3 and going through the tutorial - seems quite easy to get to grips with so far.

But why can't I perform an offensive move :/ it says to sidestep and then hit P+K+G (L2) but nothing happens

Press them at the same time. up + p+k+g Or really close to the same time.

RS4-

Man I should've gone into training mode. Played Brad and Lau like vanilla and I couldn't pull 90% of the stuff I normally do.

Then again I only played 4 games in FS lol

Haha, yeah was just my timing, thanks guys.

The tutorial didn't really pay off, as I went online and subsequently forgot all I'd learnt (will be going back there) but still won against a player.

Atolm

I've been toying around with Eileen for a while, I think I'll main her along with Jean and Sarah.

The online is full of newbies for now. The last time I played VF was almost ten years ago and yet I've been able to kick asses with Sarah.

Hmm I am awful at this haha

Lau is a lot more fun than Akira, will have to sink some time into practise mode tomorrow. I've won 2 games and lost around...6/7, but fun stuff.

Morris

Disco Devil
I fucking suck at this game so much.

Can anyone link me to an Eileen guide or something? I'm just getting bodied left and right without knowing what to do exactly...

Also, the online is great!

How the hell do I reverse/get out of someone spamming moves?

Just lost a match with someone spamming that annoying T-Arashi belly shove thing...trying guarding, tried kicking but just kept on hearing "uhmm" and "KO" :'(

I'm guessing it's down to timing again right?

best way to get better is through experience, the things you learned will come back to you ( probably )

"How the hell do I reverse/get out of someone spamming moves?

Just lost a match with someone spamming that annoying T-Arashi belly shove thing...trying guarding, tried kicking but just kept on hearing "uhmm" and "KO" :'(

I'm guessing it's down to timing again right?"

On block, most of the time you should be able to interrupt them with a P or down+p. If it's not a circular or half-circular, you should be able to evade up or down. I don't know what move you're talking about though.

Onemic

I'm using my Vegeta Fei Lei, and today I'm gonna make a Tien Fei Lei, his alternate costume and the third eye item pretty much makes a Tien look alike perfect for this character.

Dariso

Neo Member
When you're on the left side, sidestep towards the camera (2) before hitting 66G. The timing is a bit tight.
But that sidestep needs to be done late right? since you need to get hit so dural continues with the last attack where you need to do the 66G.

SoulFist

I'm a complete VF noob looking for some cool guys to play with. :p If anyone wants to play and try and help each other learn to play please send me a friend request. My gamertag is SoulFist7. :p

Sucking hard online but having tons of fun. :)

If you're looking for someone to beat up on, add me. (wouldn't mind benign added to the first post either)

PSN: TomcatTheLion

BadWolf

Jean nabbed me so many wins today, kind of getting used to him and like his style very much. Its fun because most players are new and you feel like you're learning together.

Playing on pad and its not so bad, pretty good actually. The motions are surprisingly lenient a lot of the time. I was doing everything fast (like back forward K+G) but you can tap them pretty comfortably without rushing and the move will come out no prob.

Always forget about quick recovery (K+P+G) on knockdown :(

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
Btw. How to deal with Vanessa spaming K,D+K? That two part kick that hooks head and turn you to the side. Cunt jab doesn't stop it, that kick has better priority. Annoying shit.

You cry while I cruise to wins. :D

@Noisepurge: OH NO YOU LE DON'T. You pick another character.
I haven't seen another play Vanessa against me. Should be good to see.

RyanDG

Playing on pad and its not so bad, pretty good actually. The motions are surprisingly lenient a lot of the time. I was doing everything fast (like back forward K+G) but you can tap them pretty comfortably without rushing and the move will come out no prob.

Always forget about quick recovery (K+P+G) on knockdown :(

I just can't reliable pull off the P+K+G quick defense/offense moves with a pad.

sleepykyo

I lost to somersault spamming. Embarassing.

Btw. How to deal with Vanessa spaming K,D+K? That two part kick that hooks head and turn you to the side. Low jab doesn't stop it, that kick has better priority. Annoying shit.

The second hit is a special high so you can't immediately mash 2p, try to time the tech crouch move so it doesn't clash with it, or duck and whiff punish, or just block it.

Tain

I'm having trouble even figuring out what Evasion 4 is asking me to do, lol. Am I supposed to attempt to evade the roundhouse and fail and recover with 66G? Or am I supposed to fail evading the PK and then do the 66G?

It's not blur, it's a slight ghosting. a lot of PS2 games showed this, the original Devil May Cry did this too. You get used to it in minutes.

Many PS2 games did this due to interlacing combined with a lack of attempt to soften the image. There's no interlacing on modern TVs and consoles, so this would have to be some kind of post processing. I really don't know what it would be if it weren't AA.

And yeah, I'm already used to it, but it's not like I want it there!

I'm having trouble even figuring out what Evasion 4 is asking me to do, lol. Am I supposed to attempt to evade the roundhouse and fail and recover with 66G? Or am I supposed to fail evading the PK and then do the 66G?
Get hit by the PK then try to evade the roundhouse but 66/33G to block it. Try to react to the animation.

Got a TV/Xbox/XBL today all for VF5FS (and got Skull Girls too since there wasn't a complete edition for XBL).

my gamertag is gekijmo5

I will try to play some tomorrow. Just messed around a little after work just to get it all set up and some of the changes to Wolf are hard for me to get used to like the lack of the cancelable shoulder tackle or the change of direction to the giant swing and that 9+P+G is now a Shining Wizard instead of a Frankensteiner.

Shinobi_GR

Neo Member
Shinobi representing GR-Gaf!
Long time no see, just give me some time and I will also join the club.
There's no use in posting my gamertag though, my MSc will keep me busy for another 2-3 months apparently.

Glad to see you again Xeno ! I hope to see you online pretty soon.

I bought both versions (VF5FS complete for PSN and VF5FS for XBLA). The game is incredible. I really liked the changes in Lion, it sure gives me the motivation to learn all his new tricks. So far I didn't have any problem to adjust to the new throw system/throw escape system, mostly because Lion doesn't use low throws commands :p.

Also, I've played 30 online matches, and the net code seems very good so far.

Tomorrow, I'll spend more time in Dojo with Lion and I will try to watch as many replays I can from Chibita's Lion (I'm a lazy person :p).

Top Bottom