• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown |OT| Top Tier Fighting, Top Tier Pricing

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
I don't know if this is due to lag, but I faced a vanessa player online that was just spamming K and it seemed as if I was at a disadvantage on block, to the point that it was impossible to use any attack before Vanessa was able to recover and use K again over and over and over. This happened for 3 rounds straight.

You know, I don't know much about frame data and such, but I won like three matches earlier today against friends by just spamming Vanessa's K over and over (not completely intentionally, mind, I just don't know shit with her :lol). So you might be onto something here.

Edgeward

ggs Dragon and Seph. I will level up my Wolf better. But I'm already best Wolf on PSN-gaf. You will never take my grappler status here, Dragon.

"You know, I don't know much about frame data and such, but I won like three matches earlier today against friends by just spamming Vanessa's K over and over (not completely intentionally, mind, I just don't know shit with her :lol). So you might be onto something here."

VFDC shows her K as -6 on block and it's linear so it can be evaded as well. Your opponents were just letting you get away with murder (which is fine, if it works, spam it).

Onemic

"I don't know if this is due to lag, but I faced a vanessa player online that was just spamming K and it seemed as if I was at a disadvantage on block, to the point that it was impossible to use any attack before Vanessa was able to recover and use K again over and over and over. This happened for 3 rounds straight."

Did you save the replay? The game keeps your last game as a replay, so you can rewatch it with frame data and see what's up.

Didn't save it :(

But whenever she did it(it was a low hit so I had to crouch block it) I would try doing a simple crouching P, but it would never come out as her next K would come out before.

Seraphis Cain

bad gameplay lol
Man, so what's up with Goh? I've wanted to use him ever since VF4: Evo, but he seems like a REALLY advanced character. Shame, because I love his look/voice/everything but his playstyle. :lol

Also, just want to say that the character portraits on the character select screen are absolutely BEAUTIFUL. Some of the best I've seen in a fighter.

Oichi

I'm like a Hadouken, down-right Fierce!
Goh is a fairly easy to use character, IMO. Lots of really damaging combos and he's got a GREAT set of basic moves (his elbow and mid uppercut are GDLK). Plus he has a great string in 46P+K that can be a bitch to fight against if you're not experienced, since he can go into either 2 mids or a catch throw.

Onemic

That's it, I'm way too free online, I think I've only won 10% of the 30 or so matches played so far. I'm gonna play SSFIVAE before I break something. Are P and K supposed to be the moves with the smallest amount of startup frames? Because it seems as if every person I face online get me in block stun and whenever I try and do a simple P or K command after their combo it never comes out in time. (Not like that Vanessa match though, that was something else)

Degen

ggs Dragon and Seph. I will level up my Wolf better. But I'm already best Wolf on PSN-gaf. You will never take my grappler status here, Dragon.
it just doesn't make sense.

I'm gonna invent a Burning Hammer setup that works every time. that's right.
might need a strategy guide for that one

Kusano123

Neo Member
Just hopped onto the bandwagon and I'm using Aoi. I feel pretty helpless most of the time as I just get rushed down and I don't know when to retaliate it. Even when I try to do something, I just get out poked most of the time:/. Any specific moves I should be using?

SickBoy

So in online, "Same Area"... is that same PSN region (i.e: North America) or a tighter geographic zone, based on your connection?

I find that there often aren't a lot of people playing ranked matches. I got my ass handed to me numerous times by a Pai I couldn't figure out, but I finally figured the much less frustrating way to get matchups (no quick matches!) and found out I can spy my record in the custom match screen. It's better than I thought... about a 60-65% winning record. Maybe better now because I got a boost from a bunch of quick-match fights against a really nooby Akira.

Akira is such a trap character. The character style draws a lot of people in, I think, but he's not exactly the kind of guy you can find instant success with

Hoping to have fewer re-run battles against the same guys over and over using the custom match lobby. But I think more people need to be online during the times I'm playing.

EDIT: Also, I don't know if anyone else really locks in on stuff they're doing, but nothing better than playing this game and being talked to by the wife at the same time (or having her walk in front of the screen). Adds to the degree of difficulty :)

BiggNife

As someone who is generally a lot more comfortable with 2D fighters than 3D, which characters are generally beginner-friendly?

Right now I'm using Eileen and she doesn't seem too bad. I'm getting the hang of canceling combos into her monkey stance and/or her overhead.

Onemic

So in online, "Same Area"... is that same PSN region (i.e: North America) or a tighter geographic zone, based on your connection?

I find that there often aren't a lot of people playing ranked matches. I got my ass handed to me numerous times by a Pai I couldn't figure out, but I finally figured the much less frustrating way to get matchups (no quick matches!) and found out I can spy my record in the custom match screen. It's better than I thought... about a 60-65% winning record. Maybe better now because I got a boost from a bunch of quick-match fights against a really nooby Akira.

Akira is such a trap character. The character style draws a lot of people in, I think, but he's not exactly the kind of guy you can find instant success with

Hoping to have fewer re-run battles against the same guys over and over using the custom match lobby. But I think more people need to be online during the times I'm playing.

I think it means same country, like how SFIV does it, which is why I always have to set it to worldwide even though I really only want North America.

Sixfortyfive

He who pursues two rabbits gets two rabbits.
Good number of people online tonight on Ranked (360).

Going to take a shower and come back. If anyone wants to get a late night GAF lobby going in 30-60 minutes shoot me a message on Live.

I am so rusty at this game yet I find it to be amazing. It is on the high end of my fighting game list.

I may not play online much but my psn is the same as my forum name. I will try to keep an eye out for gaf matches.

I put some time into VF4:Evo back in the day but only in single player and never very seriously, so I'm still basically new to VF. I understand 2D fighters but 3D ones I've never been able to really wrap my head around. I'm hoping to change this with VF5, cause I really enjoyed what little I played of 4.

I managed to get through and understand all of the tutorial stuff pretty easily except Evasion 2 and 4. Any tips on what exactly I'm supposed to be doing there and the timings?

I'm drawn toward Eileen and El Blaze for characters purely because I'm a big fan of luche libra and monkey king-inspired characters, hopefully they're fun to play as and not too hard to use. I played as Lau mostly in VF4, might try him out again too.

Played for like an hour as Lei Fei. I did pretty good online. I won like 4 out of 5 matches including one against a 5th dan Blaze.

Graphics are good. Characters look better than ever. But I'm not sure about some of the levels. Although I haven't seen them all yet, everything seems really colorful. Like over exaggerated. I've only seen the terrain deforming in the ruins level and it looks nice, better than I remember from VF5.I hope there is still snow and water.

Edgeward

I put some time into VF4:Evo back in the day but only in single player and never very seriously, so I'm still basically new to VF. I understand 2D fighters but 3D ones I've never been able to really wrap my head around. I'm hoping to change this with VF5, cause I really enjoyed what little I played of 4.

I managed to get through and understand all of the tutorial stuff pretty easily except Evasion 2 and 4. Any tips on what exactly I'm supposed to be doing there and the timings?

I'm drawn toward Eileen and El Blaze for characters purely because I'm a big fan of luche libra and monkey king-inspired characters, hopefully they're fun to play as and not too hard to use. I played as Lau mostly in VF4, might try him out again too.

You need to take the first two hits then do the evasion. also make sure to not combine inputs. It should read as doing the dash first to duck under the throw then guard to block the attack.

Probably mentioned already, but has there been a game with easier trophies/achievements than this one?

All of the games by the "AM Port Team" have really easy achievements. The original VF5 is their hardest game to complete, and even then it's just a grind in Quest Mode.

Blue skies in games! Blue skies forever!

Brue, Brue skiiies I seeee!!

Send me a friend request, I'm robut on xbl.

Question for everyone: I'm still dling the item packs. Why are they so big? Also, do only get to chose between two outfits? I thought you'd have at least 6. Really sucks if you have hundreds of items but can only go into battle with two options of outfits.

Sixfortyfive

Brue, Brue skiiies I seeee!!

Send me a friend request, I'm robut on xbl.

Question for every: I'm still dling the item packs. Why are they so big? Also, do only get to chose between two outfits? I thought you'd have at least 6. Really sucks if you have hundreds of items but can only go into battle with two options of outfits.
I'mma finish a sandwich and then log onto Live. I'll add you in a minute.

The item packs are set-up kind of strangely on the 360. If you buy *any* of the costume DLC, you download *everything* but only have access to those that you actually purchased. Any further purchases will just be download keys.

Unfortunately, you still can't see your opponents' customizations unless you've actually bought that character's DLC, even though you might have already downloaded the actual costume data itself by buying your own character's items. It's weird. I don't see the point in distributing the costume data in a single bundle like that if you're not going to use it as a compatibility pack.

Everyone has 6 base outfits. You only have access to 2 without DLC.

I'mma finish a sandwich and then log onto Live. I'll add you in a minute.

The item packs are set-up kind of strangely on the 360. If you buy *any* of the costume DLC, you download *everything* but only have access to those that you actually purchased. Any further purchases will just be download keys.

Unfortunately, you still can't see your opponents' customizations unless you've actually bought that character's DLC, even though you might have already downloaded the actual costume data itself by buying your own character's items. It's weird. I don't see the point in distributing the costume data in a single bundle like that if you're not going to use it as a compatibility pack.

Everyone has 6 base outfits. You only have access to 2 without DLC.

Was talking to a friend about this: what I mean is at the VS screen do you only have 2 outfits (A and B) to choose between before you fight (this is even with all the outfit dlc)? Would suck if true, you have endless combinations but it really only comes down to 2 (like in vanilla).

Finaly getting some stuff down with Eileen. uf+k, p df+p, f+p,p,d+k is like 68-71 damage. So easy but oh so good. I can just sit back and wait to punish with uf+k and go to work. I probably could have won 8 of the 10 ranked matches that I played on Tuesday had I known this combo.

Was talking to a friend about this: what I mean is at the VS screen do you only have 2 outfits (A and B) to choose between before you fight (this is even with all the outfit dlc)? Would suck if true, you have endless combinations but it really only comes down to 2 (like in vanilla).

With the DLC you just press square(or whatever button on xbox) at the character select and choose from up to 5 outfits that you saved.

Sloosha

Netplay has been pretty great so far. Think I'm going to learn Eileen, since that's the character I've been having early success with.

Sixfortyfive

I'm not sure what the per-character limit is, but it's more than 2.

Finaly getting some stuff down with Eileen. uf+k, p df+p, f+p,p,d+k is like 68-71 damage. So easy but oh so good. I can just sit back and wait to punish with uf+k and go to work. I probably could have won 8 of the 10 ranked matches that I played on Tuesday had I known this combo.

Eileen has some really hot combos in FS. I was maining her in the arcades for a sec and despite being horrible at the game managed to get a few wins just by memorizing her BnBs.

Hmm, I was thinking about picking up Jean but after hearing that I will probably try and learn how to play Goh and Vanessa, are these two beginner friendly?

Pick who you want, there is no "scrub" character like how people viewed Ken in vanilla SF4. If you're looking for beginner friendly Jean is probably one of your best picks.

SAB CA

Sketchbook Picasso
Hmm. Been a while since I seriously played 5, but 5FS feels pretty great. I'm glad Sarah doesn't look like she's not making contact with the ground anymore in her neutral stance, I hated that in 5 (since everything else animates so beautifully!).

Anyway, I've enjoyed Vanessa, Lion, Goh, Eileen, Kage, Shun, Pai, and Sarah throughout the years of VF. Think I'll stick with Vanessa for now, she's just so wonderfully brutal now :) (Wonder how closely I can make her look like KoF's Vanessa too, haven't purchased DLC yet, need to wait on that...)

I really haven't seen ANY Eileen play in this version yet... She seems unpopular? Jean is such a Mishima / Kazama troll, it's funny. Like a successful "Dan"-ing of the competition!

Eileen has some really hot combos in FS. I was maining her in the arcades for a sec and despite being horrible at the game managed to get a few wins just by memorizing her BnBs.

Yeah I can already see her potential and I've only memorized about 1/3 of her moves lol. Coming from someone who's main fighting game is Tekken she feels really good simply cause of her hopkick.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
Finaly getting some stuff down with Eileen. uf+k, p df+p, f+p,p,d+k is like 68-71 damage. So easy but oh so good.

Thanks for sharing this, I've been using 9K, 6P+KP, 236KK on hit K for around 74, but it doesn't work on certain characters (weight class?) and it's a bitch to try and pull off online. I'll take consistency over pure damage any time!

Thanks for sharing this, I've been using 9K, 6P+KP, 236KK on hit K for around 74, but it doesn't work on certain characters (weight class?) and it's a bitch to try and pull off online. I'll take consistency over pure damage any time!

No prob and thanks for sharing your combo too.

Sixfortyfive

Made a Jack Wesker and I think I'm done for the night.

Tomorrow I think I'll actually do something productive and rummage through some frame data for tactical ideas. Maybe I'll do it at work so I'm not distracted by dress-up.

Tizoc

OK so any beginner tips for learning Akira & El Blaze?
I might pick up Goh too seeing as his OTG throws are neat.
...and why oh why did I make Wolf into Hulk Hogan?

Xav

Akira , DAT NEW ANIMATIONS !

They blew me away \o/

I found myself being impressed all over again graphically with Final Showdown even though the game dates back to 2006. Soulcalibur V is probably the best looking fighter around in general but animation wise Virtua Fighter is the best in the industry.

Atolm

I found myself being impressed all over again graphically with Final Showdown even though the game dates back to 2006. Soulcalibur V is probably the best looking fighter around in general but animation wise Virtua Fighter is the best in the industry.

Yeah, and artistically it's the best fighting game out there imo. It looks pleasant and clean.

Doomshine

Goh is a fairly easy to use character, IMO. Lots of really damaging combos and he's got a GREAT set of basic moves (his elbow and mid uppercut are GDLK). Plus he has a great string in 46P+K that can be a bitch to fight against if you're not experienced, since he can go into either 2 mids or a catch throw.

Could've sworn one of the options from 46P+K was high and the mid was unsafe when I went through his moves yesterday.

Anyway, can someone link me to some high level Goh videos, I find this to be the easiest way to learn the game and characters.

Top Bottom